Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
If I go on leave without pay for a couple months, how will this impact my health benefits and TSP contributions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

sixstringsamurai posted:

Security clearances last according to type, a secret should last for about 10 years if I remember right, a TS for 5 and anytime within 2 years after it has admistrativly ended you can get a re investigation as opposed to a new investigation, having ever had a clearance is a good thing as far as getting a renewal or a job that requires discretion or for you to have access to classified information.

What about for clearances that were never activated? In my case I was cleared for the clearance, waited for the position to open up, which is where things fell through. Not sure how that fits in an application.

sixstringsamurai
May 20, 2005
Float away, little butterfly. Just flutter away. I got a gig in Vegas. And the wastelands ain't no place for kids.

Gravel Gravy posted:

What about for clearances that were never activated? In my case I was cleared for the clearance, waited for the position to open up, which is where things fell through. Not sure how that fits in an application.

So the investigation was completed then? I believe highest you received was an interim then, I'm not a security officer or investigator though, sorry I'm not more help on this one.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Haven't heard back from the Custom Border Protection folks; I submitted the required paperwork, so it's all a matter of waiting to see if they contact me.

I did hear back from the Broward Sheriff's Office and scheduled an oral interview for the Communications Operator (I) position. At this point I'll accept the position no matter what they offer, so I hope I can convince them of my credentials.

And this week I had taken (and passed) a test for the position of Intelligence Analyst (I) for the FBI. They also said they will contact me within the next few weeks for Phase II should they decide to do so.

Ignoring any possible advantages in pay/benefits with CBP, I can't foresee anyone in their right mind turning down a chance to work with the FBI. I'm hoping they contact me first, because I would absolutely accept the job without hesitation.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Primoman posted:

Ignoring any possible advantages in pay/benefits with CBP, I can't foresee anyone in their right mind turning down a chance to work with the FBI. I'm hoping they contact me first, because I would absolutely accept the job without hesitation.

Apart from special agents, I found most people in the FBI to be a bunch of assholes. I stayed a year before moving on. It was either stodgy old people or supervisors who expect too much from employees using arbitrary standards just to "make their numbers". Although I can tell you a couple funny stories. Mostly dealing with a translator I dubbed "old deaf Jimmy".

Jimmy was a chinese translator, probably in his 80s at this point. He lied about his age to join the US Army during the Korean War, if that says anything. When I met him, he had just come back from triple bypass open heart surgery. He really was a sweet, kind old man, but he had the worst Engrish accent I've ever heard in my life. I don't understand how he could be a nationalized citizen for 50 years, working for a government agency, yet could speak such TERRIBLE English. He was a technophile too, and we actually did become pretty good friends.

One day he came up to me and asked, "Hey, uh, Drewski, you ever use ah, the scoopie?"

me: ??? Scoopie?
Jimmy: You know, Scoopie, scoopie, scoopie... Scoopie!
me: I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about.
Jimmy: You know, where ah, you talk to people on the internet.
me: Skype?
Jimmy: Oh, so the 'e' is sirent.... *wanders off*

We had these conversations on a regular basis.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Do you have any opinions on the Intelligence Analyzer position? Pros, cons, that sort of thing?

Also wondering if you had access to any classified info. Not so much "here's where we keep the aliens", but there's bound to be secrets that they prefer the average person would not know about.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Primoman posted:

Do you have any opinions on the Intelligence Analyzer position? Pros, cons, that sort of thing?

Also wondering if you had access to any classified info. Not so much "here's where we keep the aliens", but there's bound to be secrets that they prefer the average person would not know about.

That position is more than likely going to be pushing paper (although admittedly it could be the most interesting paper you'll ever see). The FBI has taken on a lot of intelligence activity, but the difference between the FBI and, for example the CIA, is that the FBI conducts intelligence activities whenever there is a threat against the United States or a federal crime has been committed or is suspected. You'll probably take the raw data from multiple sources and collate it into readable reports for agents. So con, you're a cubicle monkey and there are some people that will treat you as such. Pros, you get to be involved in some really cool stuff (Sorry, can't get into details).

Someone who loved the job once told me that intelligence analysis and linguistics for the FBI are most enjoyable for people who like soap operas. You will be the "first to know" about new developments with your target(s), and you will know the most intimate details of people's lives that even their spouses don't know. You'll know their work schedules, their kids' sports programs, their illnesses and medications, you'll know when they meet their wives for dinner and their mistresses for everything else, you'll know when and where they dump the bodies, and then you get to see them go back to their family like nothing ever happened. And every day there's a new episode. It's kind of scary.

And in reference to your second section, yes. You'll find that the intelligence world can sometimes be very cruel, but there was also some job satisfaction in seeing bad guys arrested when you were intimately involved in teasing out the information that gets them arrested in the first place. I personally found some of the techniques used to gather intelligence "unsavory" but effective... And eventually grew to dislike it.

Also, fightin' terr'ists.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 29, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drewski posted:

Pros, you get to be involved in some really cool stuff (Sorry, can't get into details).

The one thing that immediately comes to mind was that 4-chan story about catching an anonymous poster making bomb threats. I imagine it's something along those lines?

In any case, you made the position sound awesome for me, so I've seriously got my fingers crossed on this one.

Being a "paperwork" kind of job, does that mean less emphasis on previous law enforcement/government experience? I don't have either, but I'm hoping my Internet browsing skills plus typing speed gives me an edge (not to mention the CJ degree, of which its advantages are...debatable).

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Primoman posted:

The one thing that immediately comes to mind was that 4-chan story about catching an anonymous poster making bomb threats. I imagine it's something along those lines?

In any case, you made the position sound awesome for me, so I've seriously got my fingers crossed on this one.

Being a "paperwork" kind of job, does that mean less emphasis on previous law enforcement/government experience? I don't have either, but I'm hoping my Internet browsing skills plus typing speed gives me an edge (not to mention the CJ degree, of which its advantages are...debatable).

So you like soaps, eh? :P

I don't know the 4-chan story you mentioned, but most bomb threats are never real. They still have to be treated as such, but they are usually a cry for attention and can be almost always handled within hours/days. The ones you really have to worry about are the ones they try to keep secret. The intelligence analysis I'm talking about requires long-term observation. Weapons/drugs/human trafficking, extortion, blackmail, fraud, and extremists were an everyday thing (although most of the time nothing happened - criminals are either really good at covering their tracks or fantastically stupid).

Even though it's a paperwork job you still need to have the legal foundation to identify criminal activities so I would imagine a CJ degree could be useful there. You'll definitely have an advantage over the older folks that work there - I spent a lot of time trying to teach people basic usage of Excel...

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drewski posted:

So you like soaps, eh? :P

I like anything that creates a unique experience each time I go to work, so if by "soaps" you mean "crime-related stories", then yes. Putting a face and name to any objectives I'd be given would be immensely satisfying, especially as I also have aspirations of becoming a writer.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Primoman posted:

I like anything that creates a unique experience each time I go to work, so if by "soaps" you mean "crime-related stories", then yes. Putting a face and name to any objectives I'd be given would be immensely satisfying, especially as I also have aspirations of becoming a writer.

You'll get some great source material then! The scariest thing to me, was learning how *human* the people you study are. It may sound strange but if you get the job you'll come to understand what I mean.

EDIT:

I applied for a GS12 excepted service permanent position that had the following statement in the Duties section of usajobs:

"This is an obligated position in which an employee has return rights. Upon the employee’s return, incumbent may be required to vacate this position."

I'm assuming this means the person who previously held this position has taken an overseas job, or has deployed out to the sandbox. Hypothetically let's say I'm offered and accept this position, then a year down the road, the person who previously held the job comes back with the intent of taking their old job back. What happens? Do I simply vacate the position and I'm SOL, do they move me to another position in the unit, do I get put on priority placement? Or something else I don't know about?

Edit 2: Think I found the answer myself:

a. Type of appointment. Depending on the needs of the activity, the vacated CONUS position may be filled by any type of appointment or internal placement deemed appropriate.

b. Advising the employee. When filling a position committed to an overseas returnee, the new employee must be advised in writing in advance of the assignment that, on the former employee's return, he or she will be-

(1) Reassigned to a vacant position, or

(2) Placed or separated by RIF.

c. Documenting the SF 50. When filling the vacated position, the following statement will be included in the remarks section of the recruitment SF 50: "Occupancy of this position is limited to the return of former incumbent with statutory reemployment rights under 10 USC 1586." (See AR 680-340.) Also, the Service Record (SF 7), if used, will be annotated.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 30, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Check the last page of the foreign service thread for job announcements for the State Dept 2013 summer intern program, and for Foreign Service Construction Engineers.

Also I didn't post it, but we're also hiring Foreign Service Regional Medical Officers and Psychiatrists.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

jerman999 posted:

Too bad. Do those five years have to be consecutive or do they just add them up over time? I am so glad I can talk to someone from OPM about this, our HR people are....pretty bad.

I have no idea why this is the case. I had to explain the rules for Air Traffic Controller decertification and retirement to THE HEAD OF HR AT THE FAA at least 3 times. My hope is that some agency will eventually realize my brilliance and spirit me away from retirements so I can get out of backlog hell, but I think it might be just as bad anywhere else.

Except at the independent agencies dealing with finance and trade (FDIC, FTC, SEC). They have some top shelf HR people.

Yeah, tip for those of you with an Econ background: apply for anything at FDIC. Nothing but good things going on there.

Oh, and those 5 years can add up over time. You'd be retiring on a deferred retirement at 62 if you had any 5 years. Sort of a pain to wait that long for so little compared to what you can get with full retirement, though.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
So I've been looking at ecologist/wildlife scientist positions lately. It looks like entry level for just having a BS is GS-5, unless you have superior academic achievement, which I don't think I qualify for (my GPA is over 3.0, but I don't think my major GPA is over 3.5). So, looks like I'm looking at seasonal jobs.

Right now I'm doing a seasonal technician type job with the state. Does anyone know if the experience I'm getting with the state might count towards moving up the GS scale? I pretty much missed the summer work boat for this year, and I don't want to have to be doing seasonal work until I'm in my 30s just to be able to get a permanent job.

I tried applying to a temporary GS-7 level job, but I think I messed up by being pretty honest on the questionnaire. Most of the questions were really specific though, and if you had any work experience doing them you were supposed to list the experience on your resume. The best I could do for a lot of them was "I have related education or training, but no experience".

On a semi-related note, is it worth looking for federal employment if you don't have a bachelor's? My boyfriend is looking for work, but he only has an AA and a few extra years of schooling, and we're trying to get out of the retail rut.

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
Does anyone know anything about the Pathways Programs that are getting started? I need a job after graduation this fall, and if the foreign service doesn't work out - I need to start looking for something else while I prepare for the next crack at the exam and gain some experience.

I was interested in the Department of State, Commerce, Justice, Executive Office of President, and Foreign Trade Representative. I'm basically looking for anything with some type of international dimension to it - even if that is not necessarily where I start.

I'm a liberal arts major in International Relations - so I don't have that many technical skills. What should I be looking for?

Or it's grad school.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How exactly do I get into an apprenticeship? I see that apprenticeships range from plumbing to welding to "telecommunications technician" to "stone setter and polisher" (jewelry) and the like, but...how do I actually JOIN one? Do I just call up the Office of Employment for the state I'm in or something?

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Gumog posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Pathways Programs that are getting started? I need a job after graduation this fall, and if the foreign service doesn't work out - I need to start looking for something else while I prepare for the next crack at the exam and gain some experience.

I was interested in the Department of State, Commerce, Justice, Executive Office of President, and Foreign Trade Representative. I'm basically looking for anything with some type of international dimension to it - even if that is not necessarily where I start.

I'm a liberal arts major in International Relations - so I don't have that many technical skills. What should I be looking for?

Or it's grad school.

Foreign Service almost certainly won't work out, especially if you're straight out of undergrad. Nothing against your qualifications, but State is hiring very few FSOs right now and it is incredibly difficult to even get to the oral exam, let alone off the register.

You might want to bone up on your quantitative skills and foreign language. Without either of those two, you're not going to stand out amongst the billions of other IR BAs looking for a pretty limited number of jobs. The other recommendation is network, network, network. Attend every information session you'd be even tangentially interested in.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

I was approved for the FSOT offered earlier this month but opted to not schedule the test as I was also supposed to go to a wedding, which was more important to me as I was in the wedding party. Will that affect my ability to take the next test which is scheduled for September?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Nope.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Question about the DD214 with regards to reserve time:

I haven't received a DD214 since finishing my initial active duty training ~3ish years ago. Since then I've accumulated a couple different schools and qualifications under my belt. I intend to apply for an upcoming opening for which my specialized military service would be very helpful.

If you're National Guard and you don't have an up to date DD214 at the time of application, (even if you list your qualifications for which the certificates can be later provided) will it hurt your chances?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Been inactive in this thread for a while... I logged in to NSEPNET a few weeks ago and found that my time to fulfill my Boren Service obligation ended in May, rather than December of this year like I thought. I'm going to go for trying to be released from my obligation, so I've got to write a two-page essay to see whether I owe Uncle Sam $16,000 or not. No pressure.

Anyone got experience with this? I've tried Googling and there's really not any info I can find. Boren just stipulates that you had to have made a "good faith effort" and never really defines that. Among other things, I basically screwed up my mid-twenties putting my life on hold for them and had my girlfriend of 3 years leave me over it, although I did move to Japan to take another job in my last year, which they might take a dim view of (harder to apply for Fed jobs from overseas). I took the FSOT in February, at least.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

After more than 150 applications to various organizations in 5 states, I was very pleasantly surprised to find an interview request in my inbox this morning. I'm scheduled to interview for a GS11/12-0301 Analyst position with US Citizenship & Immigration Services. Anyone have experience working for them?

I qualify for GS12 but I am not sure if they'll hire me at that level or if I would have to stay at GS11. Either way it doesn't matter because I'm at the top of my developmental pay grade at 11 right now, so being able to step into a nonsupervisory GS12 will be awesome. In the meantime I am incredibly excited.

Oaks
Oct 9, 2007

Pessimism posted:

So I've been looking at ecologist/wildlife scientist positions lately. It looks like entry level for just having a BS is GS-5, unless you have superior academic achievement, which I don't think I qualify for (my GPA is over 3.0, but I don't think my major GPA is over 3.5). So, looks like I'm looking at seasonal jobs.

I'm pretty sure those requirements you mentioned are an or thing, not an and thing. As in, you need either a GPA over 3.0 or a major GPA of 3.5, but you don't need to meet both requirements.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Very random question, but does anybody know if my tattoos are an issue for a federal job? They're all totally covered by business casual attire as long as I wear long sleeves, and none of them are swastikas or anything like that.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
I apologize for not yet reading the entirety of the digital epic that is this thread, but I wanted to throw a question out there for some feedback. I just received notice that my position is being converted from a Title 5 to a Hybrid Title 38. What does this mean for me?

In reading the memo, it sounds as if it's going to be more a concern of HR's than mine, but I'd still like a better idea of what this all means.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

fuzzy_logic posted:

Very random question, but does anybody know if my tattoos are an issue for a federal job? They're all totally covered by business casual attire as long as I wear long sleeves, and none of them are swastikas or anything like that.

Basically they shouldn't be showing when you interview. That shouldn't ever be a problem for you because when you interview you should be full business not business casual. Otherwise, I think as long as you dress nicely you'll be fine.

I'd say probably 1/3 of all the people I know at work have at least one tattoo (my work site is pretty rural, YMMV). I have five, and although mine aren't visible in business casual, a lot of people I know have full sleeves. Sometimes on overtime days they let us wear shorts, and my "Lucifer getting cast out of heaven" tattoo is completely visible. No complaints so far, and none of my bosses have said anything about it either.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone had any experience applying for positions with the IRS? Any specific tips? Or just the old keyword, resume-tailoring game? Thanks.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got an e-mail this weekend from Customs Border Protection detailing what they require for the fitness test. While the e-mail stated that I still wasn't guaranteed a callback unless a position was open (it was addressed to all applicable candidates), I do want to start training my body just in case.

Is there a listing somewhere that gives the recommended average that should ensure I pass the fitness test? I'm confident I can meet the requirements if I prepare in advance, but knowing exactly how many sit-ups, push-ups, etc would be required to "pass" would help me set a targeted goal.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
First result from googling CBP fitness test has the scoring at the end. Looks like there is an overall total you have to hit across the events rather than a minimum for every event. Doesn't look too hard.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/careers/customs_careers/officer/cbp_officer/cbpo_fitness.ctt/cbpo_fitness.pdf

bluetickmoon
Jul 6, 2012

Why hello there.
Hello, bluetickmoon here!

I am entering my senior year as an undergraduate student studying Anthropology. Ideally I would like to find a job working as a Forest Ranger, Forestry Technician, Park Ranger, or something similar that will let me interact with people and nature on a regular basis. Unfortunately, upon doing some internet research it seems as if it is practically impossible to get hired as a Park Ranger (or any Federal Government job) unless you are a veteran or already have some sort of personal connection with HR or a Hiring Manager.

As an anthropology student, I assumed I would have a good shot at both the Interpretation and Law Enforcement side of the Park Ranger job. I was considering volunteering some time at a National Park as a Park Ranger, obtaining an EMT-B certificate, and completing a Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program at my school to make myself more marketable in this kind of field; but after reading some very bitter posts on other forums I have become disheartened.

So, what kind of chance do I really have at applying at USAjobs being a non-veteran and non-proranger student? I've read that it is practically a black hole for resumes, regardless of how qualified you may be - is there any truth to these claims? Is it just as disheartening to apply for a job as a Forestry Technician or Forest Ranger? Is Forest Ranger even an actual job?

Any insight is very much appreciated, thank you.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Drewski posted:

After more than 150 applications to various organizations in 5 states, I was very pleasantly surprised to find an interview request in my inbox this morning. I'm scheduled to interview for a GS11/12-0301 Analyst position with US Citizenship & Immigration Services. Anyone have experience working for them?

I qualify for GS12 but I am not sure if they'll hire me at that level or if I would have to stay at GS11. Either way it doesn't matter because I'm at the top of my developmental pay grade at 11 right now, so being able to step into a nonsupervisory GS12 will be awesome. In the meantime I am incredibly excited.

Tread lightly with DHS agencies. The reorganization of the structure of all these programs has continued to make it a difficult place to work. Ask about turnover.

I think CBP and CIS are both better than average places to work, though. The worst problems are at DHS HQ.

velcro shoes
Apr 17, 2001

I swear I've been a Portland fan for years. No seriously

bluetickmoon posted:

Hello, bluetickmoon here!

I am entering my senior year as an undergraduate student studying Anthropology. Ideally I would like to find a job working as a Forest Ranger, Forestry Technician, Park Ranger, or something similar that will let me interact with people and nature on a regular basis. Unfortunately, upon doing some internet research it seems as if it is practically impossible to get hired as a Park Ranger (or any Federal Government job) unless you are a veteran or already have some sort of personal connection with HR or a Hiring Manager.

As an anthropology student, I assumed I would have a good shot at both the Interpretation and Law Enforcement side of the Park Ranger job. I was considering volunteering some time at a National Park as a Park Ranger, obtaining an EMT-B certificate, and completing a Seasonal Law Enforcement Training Program at my school to make myself more marketable in this kind of field; but after reading some very bitter posts on other forums I have become disheartened.

So, what kind of chance do I really have at applying at USAjobs being a non-veteran and non-proranger student? I've read that it is practically a black hole for resumes, regardless of how qualified you may be - is there any truth to these claims? Is it just as disheartening to apply for a job as a Forestry Technician or Forest Ranger? Is Forest Ranger even an actual job?

Any insight is very much appreciated, thank you.

Former Park Ranger and Forestry tech here with USFS. As long as you are a student you can get STEP positions and can be hired noncompetitively. I got picked up as a STEP gs-3 ranger my first season and I am not a veteran and had never worked for the federal government before. A lot of ranger stations hire off a general cert list for those positions, so you have to call them and ask what's available rather than look on usajobs first. If they like you they will find you on the list. I think you can also be hired as a STEP for a season after you graduate. Also look into SCEP, if you work two seasons as a SCEP you can convert to permanent. Once you're done with school a lot of these doors close so definitely cast your net wide. The series you want to look for is 0025 (park ranger) and 0462 (forestry technician). Most fire positions are 0462 as well. And you should be applying in January or so for a summer seasonal position, fyi. Hope this helps.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Tread lightly with DHS agencies. The reorganization of the structure of all these programs has continued to make it a difficult place to work. Ask about turnover.

I think CBP and CIS are both better than average places to work, though. The worst problems are at DHS HQ.

Thank you for this info. I'm comparing the 2011 Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey results between my current organization and DHS to get an idea of the climate. I know it can vary wildly between different parts of an organization, but at least it gives me an idea of what I'd be stepping into. Overall it looks like DHS employees overwhelmingly like what they do (almost 85%), but are slightly less happy overall with their jobs. They suffer from the same problems all agencies have (of course). Ideally I'd love to be able to drill into the data specific to both my own organization and the field offices that have the openings.

My interview I think went really well, although they told me it would be up to 3 months before hearing anything even though they want to fill the slot ASAP.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Drewski posted:

A good friends works for CIS. She is happy there. She's been there for a few years too, and I think so have a lot of her coworkers, so at least in her office, turnover doesn't seem like an issue.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Drewski posted:

Thank you for this info. I'm comparing the 2011 Federal Employee Viewpoint Survey results between my current organization and DHS to get an idea of the climate. I know it can vary wildly between different parts of an organization, but at least it gives me an idea of what I'd be stepping into. Overall it looks like DHS employees overwhelmingly like what they do (almost 85%), but are slightly less happy overall with their jobs. They suffer from the same problems all agencies have (of course). Ideally I'd love to be able to drill into the data specific to both my own organization and the field offices that have the openings.

My interview I think went really well, although they told me it would be up to 3 months before hearing anything even though they want to fill the slot ASAP.

Yeah, you really have to look at the subagency. Most larger subagencies like ICE or what have you are going to have separate sites from all the other HQ stuff, plus that unit has been together longer than DHS HQ since they were once a part of Justice.

My agency is actually one of the best to work at supposedly, and yet I want out simply because of the subunit I'm at. I'm literally 3 years younger than everyone and one of the only males, despite the agency as a whole (OPM) being evenly split. No one hired in my division for a decade, so I guess natural selection occurred in Retirement Services in favor of 55 year old females (at least they can talk football). I sorta wish I'd taken the more fulfilling but much lower paying job I was offered at the same time, but money talks.

I've been applying to HR positions in other agencies. I actually went as far as to apply in state government, too. At least they've hit their fiscal Armageddon already. I have no idea what sequestration is going to do, especially for you Defense goons.

ilc23
Jun 30, 2012
A TSA job opened up here for the first time I've ever seen one open up. Crossing my fingers and applying. Does anyone know if bilingual abilities count as a plus?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I just updated my USA Jobs profile. I know it's the "legit" way to get a federal job, but is it as worthless as I fear? Did I just waste my time? Has anyone ever been contacted through USA Jobs by a prospective employer? Is the only way in to work your contacts?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I work for CIS and I love it. It does depend where you work though. Field offices are more stressful than the service centers.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

DasNeonLicht posted:

I just updated my USA Jobs profile. I know it's the "legit" way to get a federal job, but is it as worthless as I fear? Did I just waste my time? Has anyone ever been contacted through USA Jobs by a prospective employer? Is the only way in to work your contacts?

Are you asking if people have been contacted by hiring managers randomly [or not so randomly] viewing resumes on USA Jobs?

Or are you asking if people have submitted resumes to USA Jobs, applied to open positions posted on USA Jobs, and eventually hired?

If you're asking about the first, only advice I can offer is to make sure your resume is searchable.

If you're asking about the latter, then yes, I and a several co-workers hired around the same time I was went through USA Jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Tortilla Maker posted:

Are you asking if people have been contacted by hiring managers randomly [or not so randomly] viewing resumes on USA Jobs?

Or are you asking if people have submitted resumes to USA Jobs, applied to open positions posted on USA Jobs, and eventually hired?

If you're asking about the first, only advice I can offer is to make sure your resume is searchable.

If you're asking about the latter, then yes, I and a several co-workers hired around the same time I was went through USA Jobs.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I was unclear. You correctly drew out both of my questions:

1) Has anyone been contacted by a federal hiring manager on their resume alone (i.e., they did not apply)?

2) Has anyone actually been hired through USA Jobs? (A cynical question, but I have heard a lot of discouraging stories)

Thanks again.