Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Is there a screencap somewhere of Gollum's appearence in FOTR? I don't have the movie on hand and haven't seen it in a long time and so I can't really remember how different it looked there.

Yeah, maybe it's because I just haven't seen the movie that many times, but with how little we actually see of Gollum in Fellowship I never would've known they redesigned him between movies if they didn't say it in the bonus features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I really don't think we're going to see Smaug at all until the second movie is actually released. They might give us a voice over with like, some glowing eyes in the dark or something, but there's no way they're blowing their load before the second film.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, maybe it's because I just haven't seen the movie that many times, but with how little we actually see of Gollum in Fellowship I never would've known they redesigned him between movies if they didn't say it in the bonus features.

There's one quick shot of him in the shadows, and it's pretty clear that the CGI is terrible, and that they redesigned him for the next two movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The main difference was that the Gollum we saw in Fellowship seemed to be dark skinned- grey going to jet black- and he's pale in the full rendering.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
His hand was shown during a torture scene and was obviously a rubbery glove with prosthetic finger extensions rather than the more naturalistic (and entirely CG-enhanced) version we saw later on. I can't seem to find screenshots of anything but the shot from the path under the mountain where his eyes are too close together and his nose is more skeletal.

I'd screen-grab from my DVD's, but alas the wife took them when she left. I'm going to have to buy me the Blu-Ray some time between now and December when this comes out so I can do a marathon (again).

--edit

\/\/\/\/ That's exactly the shot I was talking about being able to find. The hand is more obviously different, though this is still a big change from what they went with in the end.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 4, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is the only really good shot of him.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
From the shot near the beginning of Fellowship, with him muttering to the ring and then looking up at some noise or other, I thought he'd end up looking something like the Cryptkeeper. Only with a nose of some sort.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Gollum looks much more like a creature in Fellowship than he does in the other two films. I think it was a good move to make the final product a lot more human looking, especially if you're going to view Gollum as a somewhat sympathetic and tragic character.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Early Gollum concepts - the DVDs have a few shots of the early early CG before they completely redid him with Serkis.

:NSFW:http://i.imgur.com/eIVH8.jpg:NSFW:

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Why does that need to exist?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

WebDog posted:

Early Gollum concepts - the DVDs have a few shots of the early early CG before they completely redid him with Serkis.

Ahaha, I like the reference photos of Jackson on the wall.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

PJ just updated his Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/PeterJacksonNZ/posts/10151000195021558

Peter Jackson posted:

Sorry to be out of touch these past few weeks. It's been very busy here on the set… What would you say to a little studio tour?

I guess we're going to get the next production video soon.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Octy posted:

I guess we're going to get the next production video soon.

Oh, hey, how many of those are there? I've only seen the first myself.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
New production video (#7) up!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151028043926807

It's a behind-the-scenes tour of the studio, and a lot more comedic than the other ones

haha James Nesbitt (Bofur) to production assistant: "Don't look at me directly in the eyes"

Grumio fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 6, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Can somebody please post a non-facebook link once one is up? Thanks! :)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Grumio posted:

It's a behind-the-scenes tour of the studio, and a lot more comedic than the other ones

Haha, the surprise at the end is hilarious. Sick Burn on PJ.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ummm, if I could just LIVE inside the studios there, that would be great. Thanks.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Grumio posted:

haha James Nesbitt (Bofur) to production assistant: "Don't look at me directly in the eyes"

So good. The end was just so unexpected.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Octy posted:

So good. The end was just so unexpected.

I had the biggest grin on my face. Haha. So awesome.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
So going by this, the unemployment rate of New Zealand is about 30% when Peter Jackson isn't making movies.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Can somebody please post a non-facebook link once one is up? Thanks! :)

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

I didn't find anything on youtube yet so this is a good alternative.

These videoblogs are adorable.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Best video.

End is great, they should release more footage of that with the greenscreens in it, let people make thier own backgrounds for that awesome clip.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Duel posted:

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/

I didn't find anything on youtube yet so this is a good alternative.

These videoblogs are adorable.

Thank you very much! That little surprise at the end was great.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RiHRkK4ztU

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Grumio posted:

I think this is their best one yet!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trump posted:

So going by this, the unemployment rate of New Zealand is about 30% when Peter Jackson isn't making movies.

New Zealand probably hides its true unemployment rate the way most countries do, they take a big chunk of the unemployed and call them actors :downsrim:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Can I just say that having just watched the movies again this week for the first time in probably 2 or 3 years, I am still in absolute love with them. My critical eye has gotten a lot sharper and I'm less likely to just go ga-ga for something in the sense of it being a documentary about this thing actually having happened (since that's usually pretty dull story-telling), but these are still cream of the crop for me.

A few of the effects are a bit dated, but Jackson and company tended to use them in such a way that you didn't have to stare at them for five minutes, searching out every single puppet string. That's about as critical as I think I can realistically be considering the size and scope of the project.

Between watching these and the production diaries, I'm dying for December to get here. I also feel like my own creative batteries are pretty well recharged after having a good cry for the last 15 minutes or so of Return of the King.

By the way, anyone who doesn't get goose bumps while Theoden is screaming "DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!" is broken inside. Just sayin'

I can't wait to see what all gets done with some of the scenes in The Hobbit. There are no great, inspiring speeches, but there are some fantastic action scenes and a general sense of wonder that I think is going to sweep me away based on my other experiences with Jackson.

Someone was saying the guy deals in excess in the King Kong thread, which I think is appropriate and about half of what I adore about his film making.

What I'm saying is that I'm jazzed to see The Hobbit. Like, a lot.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Watching the production video I had completely forgotten Billy Connolly was even attached to this movie. I was like; what is Billeh doing here? And then the same thing happened with Orlando.

Also had a bit of a giggle when the first thing I saw in Nesbitt's trailer was what appeared to be a massive Union Jack. And then I realized he even had triclour streamer's inside his caravan.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
And then they enter the art department, and pretty much the entire background is blurred out :v:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Some person on TORN spotted Beorn in the latest video blog. Kind of. at about 7:30 there seems to be a model of the fella with gandalf:

Notice how big Beorn is compared to Gandalf (on the left). Looks like Jackson's scale tricks will be used to make someone appear larger than human-sized, for once.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I just wonder, not being entirely too knowledgeable on special effects and optical illusions, but does a forced perspective trick work with a 3D image? It was the coolest thing ever when I realized how simple it was to just have Gandalf stand closer to the camera than Frodo, but in a 3D movie, wouldn't you just go "Oh, he's just standing 20 feet back"?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Some person on TORN spotted Beorn in the latest video blog. Kind of. at about 7:30 there seems to be a model of the fella with gandalf:

Notice how big Beorn is compared to Gandalf (on the left). Looks like Jackson's scale tricks will be used to make someone appear larger than human-sized, for once.

Wait, why is Gandalf wearing a white robe? I thought he was Gandalf the Grey at the time of The Hobbit.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Crappy Jack posted:

I just wonder, not being entirely too knowledgeable on special effects and optical illusions, but does a forced perspective trick work with a 3D image? It was the coolest thing ever when I realized how simple it was to just have Gandalf stand closer to the camera than Frodo, but in a 3D movie, wouldn't you just go "Oh, he's just standing 20 feet back"?

I'm fairly sure you're right. In films where the 3D is added in post-production this wouldn't be a problem, but the twin-camera set up they're using completely defeats practical forced perspective tricks.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not completely, the distance between both lenses is still only a number of centimeters on average. No doubt forced perspective works but you probably can't stray from the 'sweet spot' too much.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Octy posted:

Wait, why is Gandalf wearing a white robe? I thought he was Gandalf the Grey at the time of The Hobbit.

Because it's a model of the set, not the actors. It's just visual shorthand.

My (completely limited) understanding is that the depth of field is changed in a 3D image by how far apart the two cameras are partially. So no doubt you can still create the same effect, but it takes great finesse. Since they have been touting how awesome their setup is and how much they can fine-tune the 3D they're creating, I would say this was probably their first major concern when deciding to make it in 3D in the first place. I'm confident it will work just fine.

And if the illusion is ruined in 3D, there's always the 2D version so I'm not really worried either way. I don't think they'll screw it up, but even if they do I can just ignore it anyway.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'd also assume that if a certain shot doesn't work in 3D due to the forced perspective, they might just adjust those in post.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
loving dammit, no sooner than I get to see something that makes me excited about these films, something else comes right away to make me anxious about it again:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/06/10/56931-total-film-reveals-hobbit-romance-spoiler-in-their-summer-2012-future-100/

Basically according to this article they've decided to add a love story between Kili and an elf maiden. I sure do loving wish Hollywood would realize that the way to make a female audience enjoy your film is to make a loving enjoyable film, not to shoehorn in tacked on romances!

I know it's been hinted at before, but I'm still kind of disappointed they've gone this way. I am not a fan of this.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Kili is about as a minor character as you can get. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Above Our Own posted:

Kili is about as a minor character as you can get. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Have you read the script?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Should have seen this coming when they made Kili the pretty one.

• Locked thread