Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
He is looking at a laser, and the black laser cart seems like a pretty good deal, $30-$45 for a 2200 page cartridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, initially I thought about two completely new printers as well. Specifically grabbing a Brother 2270DW for the B/W, but then I wasn't really liking what I was seeing as an option for color+scanner+fax combination (I really don't want more than two printers in the office). I don't know if a few pages of color every day is enough to offset buying a lower end inkjet color printer either, I didn't think so off the cuff.

So that's how I got to the combination laser printer I linked and the toner+drums seemed reasonably priced too.

The other alternative is I keep our 7 year old xerox laser B/W printer/fax machine right now (I mean it's passable) and just look for an exclusive color/scanner, which was my original question actually. The combined laser still looked like the best long-term solution.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The wireless doesn't need to be built into the printer for your wireless devices (iPhones, laptops on WiFi) to talk to it. Plug the printer into your WiFi router.

However, the wireless can make it easier to find a good spot for your printer. Its placement isn't determined by where you have network drops available.

If you decide to upgrade to a wireless printer, make sure it's for the right reason.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, initially I thought about two completely new printers as well. Specifically grabbing a Brother 2270DW for the B/W, but then I wasn't really liking what I was seeing as an option for color+scanner+fax combination (I really don't want more than two printers in the office). I don't know if a few pages of color every day is enough to offset buying a lower end inkjet color printer either, I didn't think so off the cuff.

So that's how I got to the combination laser printer I linked and the toner+drums seemed reasonably priced too.

The other alternative is I keep our 7 year old xerox laser B/W printer/fax machine right now (I mean it's passable) and just look for an exclusive color/scanner, which was my original question actually. The combined laser still looked like the best long-term solution.

Consumable costs can run higher on color lasers even if you're using them almost exclusively for B&W. For instance, on that model, drum replacements only come as a four-pack. I'm not sure whether you can substitute C/M/Y units for black; if you can't, you're going to pay for a lot of color drums you don't need. Color printers also usually have a transfer belt to worry about, but that's not going to be that big of a deal with your print frequency. It is still another $100 expense every once in a while, though.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
I'm looking for a monochrome laser printer to replace a freebie color inkjet that's finally given up. The printer will be plugged into a mac mini set up as a htpc in the living room so that all the laptops on the networks + the iPads and iPhones can print as well.

would like to spend less than $100

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wanderlost posted:

I'm looking for a monochrome laser printer to replace a freebie color inkjet that's finally given up. The printer will be plugged into a mac mini set up as a htpc in the living room so that all the laptops on the networks + the iPads and iPhones can print as well.

would like to spend less than $100

Brother hl-2270dw. It's wireless, so you don't even need the mac mini, but it wherever you want.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My mom's HL-4070CDW has been blopping the yellow and blue toner on the pages since we put new cartridges in it. Opened it up today and all three color carts (TN-115s) are leaking like mad. I called up Brother and they're sending me new cartridges with 3 day delivery, I was on the phone less than 15 minutes.

Brother customer service owns.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

MECH VITAE is already stupid.

pienipple posted:

My mom's HL-4070CDW has been blopping the yellow and blue toner on the pages since we put new cartridges in it. Opened it up today and all three color carts (TN-115s) are leaking like mad. I called up Brother and they're sending me new cartridges with 3 day delivery, I was on the phone less than 15 minutes.

Brother customer service owns.

That's because it's a known issue with faulty leaky cartridges.
If you call back and ask if someone can come to your location to clean and vacume the excess toner they will, if they offer to email you the steps refuse and say you want someone to do it, and they will oblige and schedule a technician to come clean it up for you for free.

I used to love when I got that call, an easy 5 minute call.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Brother HL-2270DW is on sale again, $80 at Newegg.

I hate having to support a printer in every drat office, but these guys make it tolerable.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rascyc posted:

I was thinking of a Brother MFC9125CN. Since it has a FAX machine, I can probably junk our second B/W Laser Printer/Fax combo from like 7 years ago and just ask that everyone do all printing to the Brother (this will change the 5-10 pages a day to about 10-15 pages a day I'd guess)

I was thinking of tossing in a few extra dollars for the MFC9325CW for the improved color and to enable wireless (mainly for fun with iphones I guess). It is only an additional 30 bucks at Amazon.
Ended up with the MFC9325CW for about a week now. Speedy, simple, everything works. Typical brother quality would buy again.

Only drawback was the driver for the printer wasn't included in Windows 7 so I had to setup some stuff for the drivers and also route people to the full control suite if they wanted the scan-to-pc (the simple "print/scanner" drive link on the page is really only the print driver).

Oh yeah and that usual iphone guy who complains that the printer doesn't support airprint or whatever.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had a local printer supplier come in today and give me a quote for one large (Small really, but large for us) C360 Konica and two C35 Konica MFP's. For a 60 month lease, all supplies and maintenance included with a 4h response time, they wanted $350/m. This seems high to me. Has anyone else used this series? We had a C360 at our old job and it worked great. Are there other units I should be looking at?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I need a suggestion, I'm looking for something that fits this

- Black and white only is fine, maybe 5 pages at most a month. Mostly printing forms/contract type things.
- Scanner is a huge plus, will be used to scan art & photos.
- 35mm negative scan ability is crucial
- it's only used in one room, by one device so wireless connectivity isn't that important and any printing from anything else can be done over the network
-speed...it would be replacing a beat up hp psc that has to be at least 5-6 years old

I figure my needs are mostly the opposite of most people in here..budget isn't an issue..within reason. Thanks!

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

zer0spunk posted:

I need a suggestion, I'm looking for something that fits this

- Black and white only is fine, maybe 5 pages at most a month. Mostly printing forms/contract type things.
- Scanner is a huge plus, will be used to scan art & photos.
- 35mm negative scan ability is crucial
- it's only used in one room, by one device so wireless connectivity isn't that important and any printing from anything else can be done over the network
-speed...it would be replacing a beat up hp psc that has to be at least 5-6 years old

I figure my needs are mostly the opposite of most people in here..budget isn't an issue..within reason. Thanks!

You won't find a very good device that'll do both of those all that well, really you're looking at entirely opposite market segments.

For the printer: Brother HL2240D - $84: Dead reliable laser, double sided printing!

For the scanner: Canon CanoScan 9000F: Great quality scans, reasonable price, can do negatives and slides really well.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

The Brother HL-2270DW is $81.98 now.

Cheap printing on this one, a long history of reliability in the Brother monochrome lasers, and the combination of double sided printing and wireless networking make this a total killer of a deal.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Matlock posted:

The Brother HL-2270DW is $81.98 now.

Cheap printing on this one, a long history of reliability in the Brother monochrome lasers, and the combination of double sided printing and wireless networking make this a total killer of a deal.

Ha, it looks like Brother is just giving up on the 2240D (the none wireless version of the 2270DW, posted above) and pushing everybody to this model. A drat good idea if you ask me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a friend who's asked me about all-in-ones. He's especially interested in this Epson 4530, which is on sale at Staples for $215:

http://www.staples.com/Epson-WorkForce-Pro-WP-4530-All-in-One-Printer/product_344778

Any thoughts? Pros and cons on Epson? He's budgeting around $300. Not sure if color is important but knowing him I'd guess he'd like it.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Hello old reliable printer thread... I need a stand alone fed scanner for copying a bunch of boring law firm documents to pdf. Black and white is fine if that's even an option in scanning anymore I don't know. The last time I used a scanner was the late 90's.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The Brother HL-2240 (Bascially a little brother of the Brother HL-2270DW) stood no chance against my printer curse. I thought I would be free of it for sure by ditching inkjets and going laser. The printer would make awful jamming noises every time it attempted to print a paper. After 3 weeks of it staying powered down, useless on my desk, my friend comes over. He immediately removes the toner and exposes a nickle lying wedged between two pieces of machinery.

Oh. I have no business calling myself a goon :doh:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Hello old reliable printer thread... I need a stand alone fed scanner for copying a bunch of boring law firm documents to pdf. Black and white is fine if that's even an option in scanning anymore I don't know. The last time I used a scanner was the late 90's.

What is your budget? We use a handful of Fujitsu Scansnap S1500s at work for scanning documents. It does duplex color scanning. The only catch is that it's not TWAIN-compliant. You have to use their software to do the scanning. The software isn't terrible though. About $415 at Newegg right now.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm a design student that is sick of dealing with printers that couldn't give a poo poo about quality control when it comes to printing, plus I want to be able to print at 3am the night before my projects are due if need be.

I was wondering if you guys would be able to give me any recommendations of a printer that can print at least A3 sized documents (420mm x 297mm) :australia: and produces high quality results. Price is an issue, but I don't have a particular budget and I'm willing to save up rather than skimp on quality.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm a design student that is sick of dealing with printers that couldn't give a poo poo about quality control when it comes to printing, plus I want to be able to print at 3am the night before my projects are due if need be.

I was wondering if you guys would be able to give me any recommendations of a printer that can print at least A3 sized documents (420mm x 297mm) :australia: and produces high quality results. Price is an issue, but I don't have a particular budget and I'm willing to save up rather than skimp on quality.

They don't make laser printers that large so you're looking at large-format inkjets or plotters. Likely costing at least thousands of dollars US. I have very little experience with them so I can't recommend any models.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

KongGeorgeVII posted:

They do make A3/Tabloid size laser printers. However, they won't be cheap.

Australia will have a different product lineup than the US, did you have any printers in mind?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

One of our copiers just poo poo the bed, so we're looking to lease or buy a new one. I'm wondering if anyone in here could recommend a decent model to me. Here's the requirements I was handed:

-2 trays
-1000 pages/day capacity
-Multiplexing
-Good service plan (so I don't have to gently caress with it)

Thanks.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
I ordered a Brother DCP-7065DN (Amazon has them on sale for $130) and spent some time googling+reading the various manuals Brother has online, but it's not clear: can one scan over the network using the TWAIN or WIA driver? I.e. I want to be able to use Adobe Acrobat or some other program to scan instead of the included software, and not have to be plugged in via USB.

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

ChiralCondensate posted:

I ordered a Brother DCP-7065DN (Amazon has them on sale for $130) and spent some time googling+reading the various manuals Brother has online, but it's not clear: can one scan over the network using the TWAIN or WIA driver? I.e. I want to be able to use Adobe Acrobat or some other program to scan instead of the included software, and not have to be plugged in via USB.

Yup, it will scan over the network via TWAIN or WIA.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

psydude posted:

One of our copiers just poo poo the bed, so we're looking to lease or buy a new one. I'm wondering if anyone in here could recommend a decent model to me. Here's the requirements I was handed:

I don't know how it is everywhere else but around here the only place that leases copiers offers just one brand (Canon) so there isn't much choice except different models. The service plan is basically they fix everything that breaks and provide free toner. We pay for the electricity, paper and a fixed cost per page with a monthly minimum of $50.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

KongGeorgeVII posted:

What are you actually printing? Design layouts? Photographs/renders?

We just purchased a Canon iX 6520 for work, and I've been fairly happy about the output. I haven't tried anything but copy paper and its still halfway decent. On actual good presentation matte or a nice photo paper, I have high hopes that it would be pretty great. It prints borderless up to A3, and will print up to a max size of 13x19 inches. We picked ours up for around $185USD. Looks like the closest comparable model on the Canon AUS site is the iX6550.

I had a couple Epson Stylus Photo 1280s back when I was studying, and I loved them. Don't know how the current replacement stacks up, though (Epson Artisan 1430 I guess).

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Does anyone have experience with the HP LaserJet P3015DN?

I'm currently looking at replacing a bunch of older HP LaserJet 4000/4050 printers because we're getting sick of using refurbished equipment. We have had lots of problems with reconditioned printers that barely last and we've bought from 2 or 3 different vendors with limited success. We're a small business and obviously looking to save money. I noticed that with this model and using re-manufactured hi-yield toner from LD, the cost per page is actually slightly cheaper than the 4000 series. We want something comparable and all we really do is print letter size documents and occasionally labels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh hey, this thread is exactly what I was looking for.

What's the most reliable all-in-one with the lowest long-term cost? I don't mind paying a little more up front if it means I don't have to (for example) buy a new $50 ink cartridge every few months.

Wifi enabled would be a huge plus but isn't necessary if the printer's compact enough. Color isn't necessary but again would be nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're going to find anything Brother make come highly recommended for running costs and quality (hardware and drivers).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Another vote for Brother. If you want the lowest costs for consumables, get a B&W laser.

I am looking for a suggestion for an inkjet that can print on CDs and DVDs. The plan is to just have some simple text, so print quality is not a huge concern. I would like to keep the price down as much as possible. Our print volume will be very low.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've used a Canon Pixma (specifically an IP4200) in the past to do this, very happy with the results. Lined them up perfectly each time, and the software wasn't terrible.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cross-posting from the Enterprise Printing thread in hopes that someone here may know something -

Shot in the dark here, but does anyone use software for batch printing documents? Basically, something like a watch folder that will go through and print common document types. We used SilentPrint years ago, but I was less than impressed. Now we are implementing something that will need it and I'd love to find something that isn't a piece of poo poo.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

taqueso posted:

I am looking for a suggestion for an inkjet that can print on CDs and DVDs. The plan is to just have some simple text, so print quality is not a huge concern. I would like to keep the price down as much as possible. Our print volume will be very low.

My Epson Stylus Photo R280 has been printing cd's and dvd's like a champ. I'm very happy with the unit.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What's 2270W replacement with duplex that everyone want now?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

kapalama posted:

What's 2270W replacement with duplex that everyone want now?

The 2270DW?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got the 2270DW and I love it. Duplexing is a lifesaver.

That being said, what the hell is the difference between the rest of these?
http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/CompareList.aspx?ModelList=HL2230,HL2240,HL2240D,HL2270DW&tab=full

I get the 2270DW had duplexing and wireless, the 2240D has duplexing and no wireless, and the 2240 is the no duplexer brother of the 2240D. So what the hell is the 2230? Why isn't it 2270, 2270D, and 2270DW?

Vitae
Apr 12, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got the 2270DW and I love it. Duplexing is a lifesaver.

That being said, what the hell is the difference between the rest of these?
http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/CompareList.aspx?ModelList=HL2230,HL2240,HL2240D,HL2270DW&tab=full

I get the 2270DW had duplexing and wireless, the 2240D has duplexing and no wireless, and the 2240 is the no duplexer brother of the 2240D. So what the hell is the 2230? Why isn't it 2270, 2270D, and 2270DW?

HL2270DW = Duplex, Wireless/Network interface, slightly faster print speed, more memory.
HL2240D = Duplex, USB Only.
HL2240 = USB Only.
HL2230 = Same as HL2240 but different color panel on top. I believe it's sold in a different region then the 2240

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Vitae posted:

HL2270DW = Duplex, Wireless/Network interface, slightly faster print speed, more memory.
HL2240 = USB Only.
HL2230 = Same as HL2240 but different color panel on top. I believe it's sold in a different region then the 2240

I looked at the 2200 series brochure (linked on the 2230, 2240d, and 2270DW) and those three (as well as a higher level) are the same family, and the 2240 is the weird step stepchild of the family I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Vitae posted:

HL2240 = USB Only.

Is the universal driver going to be updated to support the MFC-7460DN? I just got one to demo and I was a little disappointed to find it unsupported.

• Locked thread