Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fuschia tude posted:

Specifically, how bad is a non-OCZ Sandforce drive these days? I've used a Kingston V+200 in my laptop for two months now, and it's been pretty great.

I have a non-OCZ Sandforce SF2281 drive but I've also only had it about 2 months - not long enough to really make any conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Living on the edge. At work we've got two Intel 520 240GB running in RAID0.. in a Dell server that we found only has 3Gbps SATA support, so much the better for RAID0 then. Before anyone has a heart attack, it is for Citrix VDI images, the master of which is kept on a RAID1 600GB 15k SAS array, and it made a huge difference in responsiveness (also, these are only for unimportant virtual machines, students, not staff, so losing the data wouldn't matter).

I also have an Intel 520 60GB in my work machine, as does another work colleague. So these are all Sandforce (hence the point of replying), and they've all been working fine to date. Of course, if that changes, I'll say something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

Specifically, how bad is a non-OCZ Sandforce drive these days? I've used a Kingston V+200 in my laptop for two months now, and it's been pretty great.
Ignoring the whole OCZ side of the equation, my impression is that Sandforce never had a failure problem per se; they had a BSOD when coming out of hibernation problem. That is, you never lost your data; you would just get very annoying BSOD's.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Josh Lyman posted:

Ignoring the whole OCZ side of the equation, my impression is that Sandforce never had a failure problem per se; they had a BSOD when coming out of hibernation problem. That is, you never lost your data; you would just get very annoying BSOD's.
Not true. SandForce drives, especially the earlier ones, had a lot more problems with permanent drive panics (drive disappears from BIOS, never to be seen again. Total data loss) than the M4/320/830 series. OCZ was obviously the worst about this, but it was still a factor for all SandForce-based drives. Current ones are better about it, but the failure rate is still higher than non-SandForce drives. The possible exception to "SandForce < non-SandForce reliability" is the Intel 520's, since it's Intel, and they actually know a thing or two about writing firmware and doing QA on their products.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Couple of questions. MSY apparently has a 128gb SATA2 Kingston 2.5" SSD for $89.

Are they an adequate drive? I'm kind of wary of Kingston due to the number of early failing or non starter microSD cards I've bought.

Second question. Can anybody see anything about postage on that site? I tried looking but somehow just looking at that site makes me physically ill. I didn't even think that was possible.

This computer is taking forever to boot, do some operations and actually just froze on me which was kind of unexpected. Not getting anything in dmesg yet but I've had problems with this USB HDD maybe 3 years back so I don't trust it at all. And it's my last working hard drive of useful size. If it dies I'm back to the netbook plugged into everything again and the tower gets put away again. I've only just started to find my coding mojo again too.

edit: dammit it's NLA.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 9, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

General_Failure posted:

Couple of questions. MSY apparently has a 128gb SATA2 Kingston 2.5" SSD for $89.

Are they an adequate drive? I'm kind of wary of Kingston due to the number of early failing or non starter microSD cards I've bought.
The general rule is just don't buy old SSDs. They're unsupported, and they probably have firmware bugs that will never be fixed.

slightlyrandom
Aug 5, 2011

Alereon posted:

The general rule is just don't buy old SSDs. They're unsupported, and they probably have firmware bugs that will never be fixed.

This doesn't bode well for the question I am about to ask:

I'm being offered an Intel 320, 120gb for somewhat cheaper than the going price on a 128gb Samsung 830/Crucial M4.
I'm tempted, because my laptop only has Sata2, and the Intel 320 seems to come with encryption as standard, that can be enabled via BIOS (ATA?) password to function as an almost-as-good fulldisk encryption. Getting confusing signals on this, but this: http://dfarq.homeip.net/2011/05/more-on-the-new-intel-320-ssd/ seems to suggest it is, in fact, proper encryption (albeit 128bit).

Would I be a fool to A) not throw $20 more for a last-gen SSD, and/or B) trust in hardware encryption over something like dm-crypt?

I don't have government secrets lying about, mind, but I'd like it to be not worth someones time/effort to get at my stuff.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

General_Failure posted:

Second question. Can anybody see anything about postage on that site?

MSY have been saying online orders were coming soon for about 5 years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

slightlyrandom posted:

This doesn't bode well for the question I am about to ask:

I'm being offered an Intel 320, 120gb for somewhat cheaper than the going price on a 128gb Samsung 830/Crucial M4.
I'm tempted, because my laptop only has Sata2, and the Intel 320 seems to come with encryption as standard, that can be enabled via BIOS (ATA?) password to function as an almost-as-good fulldisk encryption. Getting confusing signals on this, but this: http://dfarq.homeip.net/2011/05/more-on-the-new-intel-320-ssd/ seems to suggest it is, in fact, proper encryption (albeit 128bit).

Would I be a fool to A) not throw $20 more for a last-gen SSD, and/or B) trust in hardware encryption over something like dm-crypt?

I don't have government secrets lying about, mind, but I'd like it to be not worth someones time/effort to get at my stuff.
I think the Intel drives would be safe to buy, unlike other old SSD's. But if you can get a much faster current-generation drive for a few bucks more, do it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ouch. Not really what I wanted to hear either. Not that it matters. I just tried eBay again and decided that the prices are out of control there. I'd be happy with a 64Gb SSD right now. Smaller would be a bit of a problem for me. If I were to find an older one at rock bottom prices it couldn't, or rather it'd be a pain in the rear end if it were to be PATA because the graphics card is in the way of one of the ATA channels and the other one is taken up with two DVD burners. I know that sounds a bit odd, but recently I found a Pioneer DVD burner which I bought and reflashed in my old computer case which I totally forgot about. Long story. Well, super short version is moved house, lots of stuff happened.

Found a couple of smaller ones. A Corsair Force Series 3 60gb for $87 and a Crucial M4 64Gb for $99. Postage is about $17 too. Hmm. Currently I feel they can stick it where it fits. Sick of being gouged because of where I live.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Stop sperging on the Internet, save for 2 more weeks and Get a good drive.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

PC CaseGear is probably your best bet in Aus. Personally I wouldn't buy an SSD from Ebay, I'd rather be dealing with a normal store for warranty purposes. But yeah like the other dude said, just wait it out a little and buy something decent.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

PC CaseGear is probably your best bet in Aus. Personally I wouldn't buy an SSD from Ebay, I'd rather be dealing with a normal store for warranty purposes. But yeah like the other dude said, just wait it out a little and buy something decent.

That's the fun part. Stores can be whiny little bitches when it comes to warranty and postage. Buying from a physical store isn't an option for me so I have to do it via internet / mail. When they get a bug up their rear end and want me to present the item in person it just goes to hell.

Hey the only reason I'm looking for something cheap right now is I'm kind of desperate because pretty much everything has failed, important things are absorbing all our rather meagre funds like a sponge and I need to get a toehold with a PC that won't poo poo itself in less than a month.

I won't go all E/N but my situation is essentially that I'm at home as a full time parent and a carer too. As you may have guessed that doesn't pay. But I have the advantage that I used to be a software developer including game development and if notch can release something that made him rich I can release things to gain a little pocket money. I'd like to do some apps / games for Android plus try my luck at the Ubuntu marketplace with some reasonably priced time wasters.

I'm no stranger with starting from scratch. Believe me this poo poo with computers is minor, but it is a nuisance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
An SSD is still a "luxury" purchase, if your budget is really that tight I'd stick to spinning metal and upgrade when you can afford it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

An SSD is still a "luxury" purchase, if your budget is really that tight I'd stick to spinning metal and upgrade when you can afford it.

I am considering it but as stated earlier my main influence is this house seems to be death to any mechanical media, so I'm willing to take a size and speed hit but I wouldn't go near lovely quality SSDs. Unfortunately can't do much about the dust because it's airborne and can get in anywhere, but the fact that I've seen three hard drives die this year and every optical drive in the house is in need of a clean says that I have to do something to cover my arse against this. It's not one of those "I don't want to back up my poo poo" scenarios, because I do back up.

The perspective I'm looking at this from is that a reasonably priced, smaller SSD will serve as a basis for a system which is less likely to poo poo itself from environmental conditions and has a much higher probability of outlasting a mechanical hard drive in constant use in my current location. Combined with whatever the hell has been causing pathetic postage times the last six months or so and the cost of repeat purchases an SSD works out marginally better.
Postage times for most things are sitting at about 2 weeks for things which should be here overnight if that adds some perspective. I don't know either, and even the people at the post office noticed this issue with my mail when I asked so it's a total mystery.

My belief is that a luxury purchase is ...say a Bentley over a Ford. Both will get you to where you are going. The difference is one costs a lot more.

The SSD is more like buying commercial quality tools over cheap chain store rebadged Chinese effluvia. I know it'll cost a bit more but I'm not after the latest and greatest top tier gear again... yet. I learned my lesson years ago not to buy "consumer grade" gear in anything if only for the time and frustration that better quality gear can save. etc. this is turning into a long post. Anyway I hope you can see my point. I'm going to try to squirrel away some cash and I still plan on sticking to my plan of SSD for the important stuff and a mechanical drive for when I want to use windows to play games. But core functionality comes first.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Shitload of dust and horrible postal service... You don't live in Alice Springs, do ya?

I'd recommend looking at maybe a SanDisk 128GB from PCCaseGear. $129 plus around $12 for post. You could spend around $20 less and get the 64GB Samsung 830 which has a pretty great reputation for reliability, but SanDisk generally make good gear and hey, double the size for 20 bux.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

Shitload of dust and horrible postal service... You don't live in Alice Springs, do ya?

I'd recommend looking at maybe a SanDisk 128GB from PCCaseGear. $129 plus around $12 for post. You could spend around $20 less and get the 64GB Samsung 830 which has a pretty great reputation for reliability, but SanDisk generally make good gear and hey, double the size for 20 bux.

No, not out that way, but the Hay Plains isn't far off. Not a hill for hours in any direction and nothing but farmland so the wind carries a nice payload of dust, muck and locusts.

I like SanDisk. I'm leaning that way too currently.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

My brother in law just put one of those SanDisks in his Alienware M18x and he's loving it. I'm considering one for my MacBook Pro.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
Just nabbed the Samsung 830 128gb for 119 free ships...newegg's 24 hour deal.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm about to buy a 512GB Crucial M4 for my PC for 350€ and a 256GB Samsung 830 for my laptop for 200€. Any thoughts on that?

/E: oh god I may have to check if the HDD currently in the laptop is SATA and not IDE.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape
It has to be quite ancient to still have a IDE HDD... what brand/type is it?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bokito posted:

It has to be quite ancient to still have a IDE HDD... what brand/type is it?

I was going to say.. drat, if there's any doubt that it has SATA, then hold the SSD, replace the machine.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

I was going to say.. drat, if there's any doubt that it has SATA, then hold the SSD, replace the machine.

I reckon. Sort of makes me think of my Apple IIgs. It's using a CF card as an IDE HDD but the I/O bus runs at 1MHz. Same kind of overkill with speed.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

So I bought a 120 GB Vertex 3 for my Asus G53JW laptop as my first SSD. While SSD is nice, I have learned a few things:

- Get a laptop with SATA III. Being stuck at SATA II is *ugh*. I would say I can notice the difference, but I can't... I just know it's slower than it should be (e.g. slower than my wife's MacBook Air) and that is a sad.
- Get a drive bracket. I moved the existing bracket over to the 2nd bay along with my HDD. What did I use for the SSD? Cardboard inserts cut from the SSD's shipping box. Oh yeah, fire hazard baby.
- Have double backups of your crap. I did this, thankfully! The OS and file transfer process wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, thankfully I have a 1 TB external to mirror my HDD.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently you didn't learn to read the thread title though.

Keep the backups running!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

HalloKitty posted:

It's a 3yo Acer aspire 1810tz. I just looked it up and apparently has SATA, but only -150. It's currently fast enough for most things I do (though due to the Intel GMA anything in 3d after 2005 is of the question) but I have noticed that the (5400rpm) hdd is getting slower and slower and I suspect its dying. I looked around for subnotebooks a bit before coming here but only came up with stuff that came out shortly after the Acer. Maybe I should bother the netbook thread with it.

One last question, how is Ubuntu with SSDs?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sereri posted:

One last question, how is Ubuntu with SSDs?

Awesome. Boots in like 2 seconds.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Tunga posted:

Apparently you didn't learn to read the thread title though.

Keep the backups running!

I decided to risk OCZ based on friend-experience with them.

Besides, the only way for me to get an SSD past the budget police was to go cheap. Now that it's proving itself, I can get something decent when this one dies.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You really don't need a drive bracket at all, let alone a makeshift one.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

General_Failure posted:

I reckon. Sort of makes me think of my Apple IIgs. It's using a CF card as an IDE HDD but the I/O bus runs at 1MHz. Same kind of overkill with speed.

Oh wow I didn't know this was A Thing, this sounds totally badass. Oregon trail must load in seconds!

Though is it the genuine Apple II experience without that grindy floppy drive sound :allears:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

30 seconds on Google for this:

Yes your numbers seem reasonable considering you're using SATA 2. Now that your purchase has been validated, enjoy your SSD.

That screenshot is using the Intel storage driver but aside from that, yeah, everything looks normal, all things considered. Just nitpicking.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stalkerr posted:

I decided to risk OCZ based on friend-experience with them.

Besides, the only way for me to get an SSD past the budget police was to go cheap. Now that it's proving itself, I can get something decent when this one dies.
Unless your country is wildy different to mine (UK) this makes exactly zero sense because the V3 is not a budget drive. The m4 and Force 3 are cheaper than it,or around the same price. If you had an Agility 3 then I could understand that argument.

Sorry, not trying to poo poo on your parade but I believe you made an objectively bad choice. Hopefully it won't bite you.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Oh wow I didn't know this was A Thing, this sounds totally badass. Oregon trail must load in seconds!

Though is it the genuine Apple II experience without that grindy floppy drive sound :allears:

Absolutely. Mine's an earlier design so it lacks a few features but retrocomputing is awesome, especially for people like me who used the things when new because so many new bits of hardware using modern tech have become available.

before this card my IIgs, and //e because I tended to swap hardware around a bit, was running a SCSI Barracuda.

For my IIgs a CF card is as close as I need to an SSD. Same basic idea really.

I know what you mean about the floppy drives. The 3.5" doesn't make that noise though and neither does the Atlas 8 80 track drive I have, but the old unidisks happily grind, gronk and chatter away.

My next thing on the want list for it is an network card.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

movax posted:

That screenshot is using the Intel storage driver but aside from that, yeah, everything looks normal, all things considered. Just nitpicking.

I guess I was just confused by the low speed for the 4K reads. I didn't know if something was messed up. Thanks!

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It should be a requirement that people run a benchmark (or just google) on their old HDD first so they can get some perspective on how awesome the 4K speeds on SSDs are.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Sereri posted:

I'm about to buy a 512GB Crucial M4 for my PC for 350€ and a 256GB Samsung 830 for my laptop for 200€. Any thoughts on that?

/E: oh god I may have to check if the HDD currently in the laptop is SATA and not IDE.

Someone posted this in the Parts Picking thread: Samsung 830 256GB £150 don't know current exchange but maybe this is a few euros cheaper.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Unfortunate news for Sandforce, even if it won't impact most customers: Intel has confirmed that there is a hardware bug with the Sandforce SF-2281 controller that breaks AES-256 encryption. AES-128 works fine. If you do care and own an Intel SSD 520, you can return the drive for a full refund.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This is what it must be like working with professionals 8)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

Unfortunate news for Sandforce, even if it won't impact most customers: Intel has confirmed that there is a hardware bug with the Sandforce SF-2281 controller that breaks AES-256 encryption. AES-128 works fine. If you do care and own an Intel SSD 520, you can return the drive for a full refund.

Oh gently caress, some heads in validation are going to rolllllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, this both confirms that Intel is the only SandForce-based provider that I'd give my money to, and that not buying SandForce was the way to go.

• Locked thread