Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

And Zimmy thinks this is hideous? That's some terrible taste in looks she has, Kat has never looked cooler.

I wonder if/when we hit the point where Tom started drawing after switching to full time. Though I guess even if we still haven't exhausted the pre-existing buffer in quantity he might've still redrawn some pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

What.:stonk:
That is terrifying and amazing...the print is going to look gorgeous.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

Somewhere in Kat's ancestry is some guy who had sex with a robot. Hey, it isn't any harder to believe than doin' it with fire. :v:

Humans' ability to find beauty in anything etc etc

Donny or Anja got it on with their etheric computer.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

YF-23 posted:

And Zimmy thinks this is hideous? That's some terrible taste in looks she has, Kat has never looked cooler.
To be fair Zimmy never said she looked hideous, just that she looked terrifying. And she kinda has a point there.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
You know that, even after this gorgeous page I am going to stick with the previously stated setup theory, although now it will have a different meaning. Rather than actually tell Kat about how greusome she looks, she is going to make some lewd joke and walk out of there on a bad mood.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

YF-23 posted:

I wonder if/when we hit the point where Tom started drawing after switching to full time. Though I guess even if we still haven't exhausted the pre-existing buffer in quantity he might've still redrawn some pages.
He mentioned on his Tweeter that he would have never had the time to draw something like this before, so I'm guessing we're into the full-time pile now.

Also, :stonk:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Whoever called that she'd be a robot angel, you were right... in a sense.

She's just not one of the classically pretty angels, she's one of the terrifying ones.

Since Zimmy's ether-world tends to show things in that are "real" in a more abstract way, I wonder what this implies about Kat's relationship to the robots. Is she an actual angel, in some way, because they think she is? And I think it's definitely reinforcing the idea that technology and nature/magic aren't as different and disconnected as the court and forest try to make them.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 13, 2012

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There was an Egyptian god of magic and science. One who had a bird for a head. The same kind of bird that's on Kat's chest and around her head.

Just saying.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I want to see how Zimmy would perceive Coyote.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fatkraken posted:

I want to see how Zimmy would perceive Coyote.

I really hope it's as just some guy in jeans and a t-shirt.

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?
Looks vaguely like Coyote and Ysengrin when viewed with the blinker stone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We've seen Kat through the blinker stone before though, right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We have. Zimmyvision is clearly not quite the same as Ethervision.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
This look is completely new to Zimmy, too. At the beginning of the chapter Kat looks normal, but with a pidgeon on her head.

\/ Was that Reynardine? :confused:
I mean, doesn't that take place before she's taken to the Court?

Angry Avocado fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 13, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Mother of God.

Um, anyway. Discussion. Right.

Zimmy's visions are more metaphorical than literal. Take a look at the way she saw Reynardine a year before meeting him:

The basic outline is there, but things aren't right. Compare her Birmingham to the real one; same kind of deal. So I don't think we're seeing a real Kat here, but we may be seeing a metaphor for the real Kat.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

I was gonna warn you that we're not allowed to embed hotlinked images, but apparently you can embed a properly hosted image with a link to a DIFFERENT PAGE. That is super cool.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

AE-35 Unit posted:

Welcome to Gigerkrigg Court. :stare:

This cracked me up in its perfection.

Then I went back to being amazed.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
So when I saw the latest comic, I envisioned True Kat standing at the entrance to Jeanne's tomb, the multi-dimensional etheric source code swirling around her like an electric blue hurricane, the Court's robots gathered before her, gripped by a frightful and absolute adoration.

She would then broadcast (sound, radio, and ether): "And in place of your Father, you will have an Angel! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the event horizon! Treacherous as the Uncertainty Principle! Stronger than the strong nuclear force! All shall love me, and despair!"

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 13, 2012

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
:stare: is about my only reaction for today's strip.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Now I need to see if there are any other subtle references to this in the comic prior.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
אל תירא

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
So. Technoangel. Well then.

(Seriously, today's page is glorious)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My first though was "Oh so Kat's the Shrike now."

You and me both. I finished Hyperion a couple weeks ago.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm not sure Robokat is spiky enough to be the Shrike. Pretty close, though.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I'm sorry everything else, but this is the best comic.

That is such a powerful page, both in technique and in narrative!

Dershiva
Jun 8, 2001

My spoon is too big
Fun Shoe
Man, I really wish I could trade Tom money for things. Things like a poster/print of this comic.

I just want a Coyote painting.

Dershiva fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 13, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dershiva posted:

Man, I really wish I could trade Tom money for things. Things like a poster/print of this comic.

I'm sure if there's enough of a call for it the page will go into the print pool.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
:stare: Sure as hell wasn't expecting that.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I agree with all that :stare: is the proper reaction to this. Saw the update this morning and have to say that it's terrifying and beautiful. Also Tea-san, please make a poster of this so I can buy it and hang it on my wall. I wonder if only Robot can see this form of Kat or if all the robots view her like this.

Edit: Just noticed Tom's quote for today of "One day, Zimmy". Kind of foreboding to say the least. And I just realized that Kat's other "form" reminds me of Kerrigan from Starcraft. Queen of bla-er..birds.

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 13, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Revolver Bunker posted:

I wonder if only Robot can see this form of Kat or if all the robots view her like this.

Or none of them

Zimmyvision is idiosyncratic to say the least.

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

Roger Explosion posted:

Ahahaha Roboinsectangel-Kat still has a pigeon on her head! :v:

Also, her head's an egg

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

mjau posted:

Also, her head's an egg

Woah. That puts those cracks in a new light.

This comic

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oh man that's a good page.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fatkraken posted:

Or none of them

Zimmyvision is idiosyncratic to say the least.

gently caress this puts the crack on it in a whole new light.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Crowetron posted:

I want a poster of that so bad you guys

I want to commission a painter to turn the entire right side of my house into a mural of that. Cars will stop dead to see the magnificent form of robotangel-Kat, people will wonder how crazy I am, some will think I am a beacon for Armageddon, and my neighborhood will have a record setting insomnia rate. It will all be worth it for the few people who ask me what it's about and I get them reading Gunnerkrigg.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But is that actually Kat? Stuff never is what it's supposed to be when Zimmy's around.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
My pet theory is that after Zimmy punched Anthony he decided to give her some hallucinations as payback for screwing with his fire-elemental binding experiment. She's seeing Annie as some kind of robot-bird-angel because it's an amalgamation of her plot traits.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
I see two different possibilities:
1) This is a vision of Kat's real identity, either what she is or what she will one day become.
2) This is simply a metaphorical vision of the way that the robots perceive her – which might mean that the ether is affected by the collective consciousness of the robots just as much as by living beings.

I think #2 is more likely, but either one is cool for its own reasons.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
My immediate thought when I saw this page was that it was Ketrak showing up because Zimmy killed one of the whitelegs. :v:

This is seriously one of the coolest pages in the comic. Count me in for wanting a print, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

DarklyDreaming posted:

I want to commission a painter to turn the entire right side of my house into a mural of that. Cars will stop dead to see the magnificent form of robotangel-Kat, people will wonder how crazy I am, some will think I am a beacon for Armageddon, and my neighborhood will have a record setting insomnia rate. It will all be worth it for the few people who ask me what it's about and I get them reading Gunnerkrigg.

Above the gray land and the spasms of bleak dust which drift endlessly over it, you perceive, after a moment, the eyes of Dr. T.J. Donlan. The eyes of Dr. T.J. Donlan are coppery and gigantic - their retinas are miles long. They look out of no face, but, instead, from an array of enormous cables which pass over a non-existent nose.

The Angel sees everything.