Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

tuna posted:

RMBP arrived this morning ahead of schedule. Why does wifi have to be down at work? WHY :negative:

I'll post Cinebench results later.

Hey buddy send it to me I'll run those benchmarks for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuna posted:

RMBP arrived this morning ahead of schedule. Why does wifi have to be down at work? WHY :negative:

I'll post Cinebench results later.
Any chance you'll be running Bootcamp? I'd be curious to know how the display works there.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Any chance you'll be running Bootcamp? I'd be curious to know how the display works there.

Probably not before someone else does it. I will eventually, but I've got a bunch of other things to test first, sorry.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Sulk posted:

Here are some photos, all in 1920x1200 scaling mode. The pictures probably won't do it justice, though.

Whoa, I had completely forgotten what webpages with ads looked like.

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel
What the hell, are these things shipping way ahead of schedule for a lot of people? Making me feel like I might as well order now.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Forbidden Kiss posted:

What the hell, are these things shipping way ahead of schedule for a lot of people? Making me feel like I might as well order now.

Yeah I got mine delivered today at about 10 am. Maybe it belongs in the first post (or it's just me): Apple tends to vastly overestimate shipping times.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Forbidden Kiss posted:

Anyone who didn't order right after the keynote probably isn't going to get them this week.

You guys that are getting them today - how long after the store went up did you order?

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel

flavor posted:

Yeah I got mine delivered today at about 10 am. Maybe it belongs in the first post (or it's just me): Apple tends to vastly overestimate shipping times.

Gotcha -- thanks. I was going to hold out and grab one from the Apple Store if I was actually going to have to wait until July 9th.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

flavor posted:

Yeah my shipping estimate went from 1-2 weeks down to 3 days and then it ended up taking just 2 days. It's almost as bad as the Windows file transfer dialogue.

Bob: I ordered an hour or two after the store came up I think.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone who didn't order right after the keynote probably isn't going to get them this week.

You guys that are getting them today - how long after the store went up did you order?

I got into the store immediately when it went back up. It took about 20 minutes to get the order to go through though due to that "there may be a discount" bug on the edu store.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Should I be worried that I placed my RMBP order Monday night, but it still says "Processing Items" and my card hasn't been charged?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

penneydude posted:

Should I be worried that I placed my RMBP order Monday night, but it still says "Processing Items" and my card hasn't been charged?

Some Apple employee probably stole your credit card number and went on a skinny jeans shopping spree. You'll never get your laptop.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

Is there a way on their site that I can find out who the employee is and steal the pants back? I looked but there isn't anything about fraudulent shopping sprees in the FAQ...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

penneydude posted:

Is there a way on their site that I can find out who the employee is and steal the pants back? I looked but there isn't anything about fraudulent shopping sprees in the FAQ...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426201&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=176#post404584208

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Hey, so I want to get a MBP for college. I'm a multimedia student and I pretty much need to work with Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and all that jazz, and I'm expecting to graduate in about a year to a year and a half, and I'd been holding off on getting a Macbook to see what comes out this year. Of course, now my dilemma is if I go with the RMBP or just go with the updated MCP. Any suggestions?

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

Haha, I'm really not worried in the least that Apple is stealing my money, I was just wondering if processing normally took 2 days during busy periods.

Splash Attack posted:

Hey, so I want to get a MBP for college. I'm a multimedia student and I pretty much need to work with Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, and all that jazz, and I'm expecting to graduate in about a year to a year and a half, and I'd been holding off on getting a Macbook to see what comes out this year. Of course, now my dilemma is if I go with the RMBP or just go with the updated MCP. Any suggestions?

I'm actually in the same boat (first-year grad student at a school that requires a Macbook), and I went for the RMBP because when I added a 1680x1050 screen to the MBP with the 1GB GT 650M it ended up being cheaper to just get the retina version.

penneydude fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 13, 2012

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Splash Attack posted:

Why is that a dilemma? Get the RMBP.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm trying to purchase a Macbook Pro on the store, my first Apple purchase.

I'm at the point where I have to create an AppleID. It has my email address, so I create the password but when I hit Create Account it doesn't do anything. Doesn't even take me to an error screen or anything, it literally acts like it's not even a button.

Any idea what's going wrong?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

My RMBP has shipped but it's coming from China and apparently won't be here until next week...how long did others take from the thing shipping to it showing up?

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Here's a review of Retina MBP: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/apple-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Daric posted:

I'm trying to purchase a Macbook Pro on the store, my first Apple purchase.

I'm at the point where I have to create an AppleID. It has my email address, so I create the password but when I hit Create Account it doesn't do anything. Doesn't even take me to an error screen or anything, it literally acts like it's not even a button.

Any idea what's going wrong?

Are you running Ghostery or NoScript or any other javascript blocking software? I've found I have to allow "Omniture" on apple.com to get their stuff to work when I'm running Ghostery.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

My RMBP has shipped but it's coming from China and apparently won't be here until next week...how long did others take from the thing shipping to it showing up?

34 hours.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Aardark posted:

Why is that a dilemma? Get the RMBP.

Torn between that and the probably more responsible 'get the less expensive model for now, wait for the eventual cheaper next-generation version later'.

I'm doing the 'give myself a week and see how I feel' thing before I buy though.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Splash Attack posted:

Torn between that and the probably more responsible 'get the less expensive model for now, wait for the eventual cheaper next-generation version later'.

I'm doing the 'give myself a week and see how I feel' thing before I buy though.

I really don't think the price of the retina display models will come down for a while (and I mean longer than next years refresh). It's most likely the reason that the old 13" and 15" models were not completely replaced. E: It's already been pointed out a few times in this thread how the price is already amazingly low for the technology inside the case, considering apples usual hardware pricing schemes.

The real answer to your question comes down to how frequently do you get the itch to throw away your current hardware and buy the next new shiny thing. If you keep you gear for long stretches of time, you won't need to regret picking up a retina model now.

If you buy one now and decide you like next years better and can't live without it... whelp.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Digital_Jesus posted:

I really don't think the price of the retina display models will come down for a while (and I mean longer than next years refresh). It's most likely the reason that the old 13" and 15" models were not completely replaced. E: It's already been pointed out a few times in this thread how the price is already amazingly low for the technology inside the case, considering apples usual hardware pricing schemes.

The real answer to your question comes down to how frequently do you get the itch to throw away your current hardware and buy the next new shiny thing. If you keep you gear for long stretches of time, you won't need to regret picking up a retina model now.

If you buy one now and decide you like next years better and can't live without it... whelp.

No worries there, I'm still using my 3GS from 2009, not to mention that the (windows) laptop I'm replacing is from 2008.

I tend to hold onto things. :downs:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

My new retina MBP is replacing my 2004 iBook. :whatup:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Just put in an online order for the 2.6 model with 512/8GB. I'll be using it for recording, mixing and editing audio. God bless you, Student pricing scheme! Can't wait for this sucker to arrive, here's hoping 3 weeks is a cushy estimate for the shipping time!

Cide
Sep 27, 2003

I bought the new 13" base model Air yesterday. After 10min playing Limbo, the CPU temp hit 102°C (istat pro) and then the fan kicked in to max. I know this thing isn't meant for gaming obviously, but is anyone else seeing crazy temps? Gonna return it today. Not sure if I want to exchange it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

flavor posted:

34 hours.

Did it arrive before the expected delivery date?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

Did it arrive before the expected delivery date?

Yes.

But there were at least two different "expected delivery dates" at the same time. First, Apple's worst case estimate. Then Fedex's estimate, which was also one day longer than it took.

I'm absolutely not complaining of course, I think it's great it worked out that way. After all was said and done, it took less than 48 hours.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

Cide posted:

I bought the new 13" base model Air yesterday. After 10min playing Limbo, the CPU temp hit 102°C (istat pro) and then the fan kicked in to max. I know this thing isn't meant for gaming obviously, but is anyone else seeing crazy temps? Gonna return it today. Not sure if I want to exchange it.

That's only 3°C from Tjunction max for that processor (Core i5-3427U, I think), at which point the autoprotection circuit trips and the thing shuts itself off. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but it sounds a little too close for comfort to me.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

On the "review" side: Ever since CRT displays fell out of fashion, this is the first display with more than one viable resolution because the non-native resolutions don't look like utter rear end but are actually good.

I haven't migrated all the apps yet from another MBP, so I only have the vanilla applications that come with Lion right now. I'll probably tackle that in a bit after some more playing with it because it'll make it unusable for something like 8-10 hours.

I'm actually not giving up hope on another 17" somewhere down the line. My deluded wishful reasoning is that they wanted the retina MBP to be the top of the line but still affordable on some level, and a 17" 3840x2400 display would have been prohibitively expensive. It would also have split the flagship position in two if they'd have had a spec-bumped non-retina 17" next to the 15" retina MBP.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

penneydude posted:

That's only 3°C from Tjunction max for that processor (Core i5-3427U, I think), at which point the autoprotection circuit trips and the thing shuts itself off. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, but it sounds a little too close for comfort to me.

Coming from the PC side it's entirely possible the temperature reading was simply wrong. I've had ASUS warn me of the CPU running at minus 60 degrees Celsius, on their own hardware. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility that a third-party app isn't reading the sensor on the newest Air right (yet).

My early 2011 17" tends to run up its fans like a jet engine with some games, but never got to the point where it shuts itself down.

Plus there's always the Genius Bar.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flavor posted:

On the "review" side: Ever since CRT displays fell out of fashion, this is the first display with more than one viable resolution because the non-native resolutions don't look like utter rear end but are actually good.

I haven't migrated all the apps yet from another MBP, so I only have the vanilla applications that come with Lion right now. I'll probably tackle that in a bit after some more playing with it because it'll make it unusable for something like 8-10 hours.

I'm actually not giving up hope on another 17" somewhere down the line. My deluded wishful reasoning is that they wanted the retina MBP to be the top of the line but still affordable on some level, and a 17" 3840x2400 display would have been prohibitively expensive. It would also have split the flagship position in two if they'd have had a spec-bumped non-retina 17" next to the 15" retina MBP.
I also think that current video cards are limited in the actual resolutions they can display and can't reach the resolutions required by the double ppi for the common ones we use now. Nvidia's website lists the 650M as only being able to drive a maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160.

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.

You realize I gave the rep my actual number over a cell phone, right? And that I hadn't used the card in 6 months? And the day AFTER I do all this, there are fraudulent charges? There's almost no other explanation.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

So call apple and report the incident, and give them the name of the CSR you talked to.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007

Qaz Kwaz posted:

You realize I gave the rep my actual number over a cell phone, right? And that I hadn't used the card in 6 months? And the day AFTER I do all this, there are fraudulent charges? There's almost no other explanation.

Sorry, but coincidence is also a very likely answer. I had a card I didn't use at all stolen, told it was probably brute force. Crazy thing is -- they cloned it as the purchases were listed as "card present" for purchases 2000 miles away.

Sometimes coincidences just happen -- stealing credit card numbers and using them the SAME DAY is an enormously stupid thing to do for a CSR, especially to then use it for a stupid dating website where an account would be associated with it.

E: Also, don't know if it's true or not, but I was also told that the same algorithm that websites use to determine if your credit card number is a possible Visa/MC/AmEx whatever can also be used to generate a random CC number that may or may not be assigned to an actual card.

hamza fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 14, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does Apple not realize how over-priced the regular 15" is?

Take the base model 15" Pro up to 8GB, 256GB SSD, and the high-res screen = $2,499

Of course, you could do $1,799 + $50 (8GB) and $199 (256GB SSD on sale) + $100 for the screen updgrade, but you're still at $2,149

The 8GB/256GB MBR starts at $2,199 that makes no loving sense.

The 13" better still be $1199 when it comes out.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Take the base model 15" Pro up to 8GB, 256GB SSD, and the high-res screen = $2,499

Of course, you could do $1,799 + $50 (8GB) and $199 (256GB SSD on sale) + $100 for the screen updgrade, but you're still at $2,149

I don't think they care if anyone buys the Normal 15" MBP at this point. It's clear they'll phase it out in the next few years if the RMBP is well received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

I think they know. These prices are definitely pushing you in a certain direction.