Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

something posted:

Forgive me for linking this, but I find this hilarious.

http://boards.4chan.org/v/res/143129695

Basically some very upset 4channers are playing with the idea of making an opposing kickstarter.

I love it when people make stuff like this out to be somehow a rebuttal of the Feminist Frequency KS. Making a tropes vs. men in games would be a totally legitimate thing to do that isn't even slightly at odds with the Tropes vs. Women KickStarter. I kind of wish someone would actually do this KickStarter as an insult just so everyone can see how dumb the "men can be lovely too, therefore gently caress women!" argument really is when you try to seriously play it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

octoroon posted:

I love it when people make stuff like this out to be somehow a rebuttal of the Feminist Frequency KS. Making a tropes vs. men in games would be a totally legitimate thing to do that isn't even slightly at odds with the Tropes vs. Women KickStarter. I kind of wish someone would actually do this KickStarter as an insult just so everyone can see how dumb the "men can be lovely too, therefore gently caress women!" argument really is when you try to seriously play it out.

Yeah it pretty much fits right in with the MRA poo poo you see in reddit.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I'd genuinely love a Tropes Vs. Men in Video Games (or any other media) because it would end up showing how it's actually incredibly tied to some serious gender relations issues, such as how any effeminate behavior is seen as gay, usually in a negative light.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
I'd love a documentary that charted the treatment of men and women in videogames, as long as it wasn't just confirmation bias and actually brought insight into the actions that people took and the context of those decisions. You know how Egoraptor breaks down videogame design analysis for the audience to understand, but he isn't dry or boring in the delivery so the videos are entertaining AND informative even if the results of the analysis are contrarian to the mainstream 'impression' of the game's quality? Something like that.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

quote:

DO WHAT THE WOMAN IS ABOUT TO DO BUT FOR FREE
MAKE A FULL FEATURE DOCUMENTARY ABOUT WOMEN IN VIDEO GAMES FOR FREE
SHOW PEOPLE WHO PAID FOR THAT SLUT THAT YOU CAN DO IT FOR FREE

quote:

No. We're not doing this to ACTUALLY help women. gently caress women.

quote:

The key point is the majority of the money goes to a charity benefiting women. Thereby exposing Anita as the Jewess she is and forcing her to do the same. Thus depriving her of her jew gold.

quote:

Why the gently caress would you send the money to women? The charity should go towards a organization for single fathers or male rape victims. Women get WAY to much support anyway.

quote:

Women charities do NOT need money. Male ones do. Stop trying to be one-upping faggots.
Ahahahahahaha oh wow. :allears:

I'm going to start collecting pullquotes for a text file called privilege.txt, this poo poo is nauseating.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Good loving lord.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I should have a copy of that file to pull out every time I hear someone say that there is no sexism problem in games and people who point it out are making mountains out of molehills. (Or have a "Feminist agenda." Even if they're dudes.)

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

I wasn't aware 4chan was the mainstream representation of videogamers

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

StevenM posted:

It's pretty close, let's be honest. It's like Kotaku with more freedom to be an rear end.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

TetsuoTW posted:

It's pretty close, let's be honest.

Well yes and no, but pulling quotes from a 4chan thread is like sweeping up dirt from a junk yard.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

It's pretty close, let's be honest. It's like Kotaku with more freedom to be an rear end.

It's more like using Tumblr as a mainstream representation of feminists and social justice activists - a poor attempt to present the extreme as the norm.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

StevenM posted:

I wasn't aware this was an excuse.

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

Orks is da biggest and da strrrrongest.
Would be interesting to see what they produce. There are certainly tropes in video games that portray an unrealistic standard of men. If done right it might be good.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
This thread has really gone to pot since all this Social Studies stuff has been the main topic of conversation. Id rather talk about Kickstarters rather then how bad women have it in life. Its a fine, warranted conversation, but I think it belongs in D&D, not games, especially now that Kickstarters cannot have their own thread until after they are funded.

This one is promising, and Im glad I have backed it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-wars-battle-for-alabaster

A TON of high-quality figures, for $100, if your into Trad-games, and like boardgames/wargames that is.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

KayGee posted:

Would be interesting to see what they produce. There are certainly tropes in video games that portray an unrealistic standard of men. If done right it might be good.

It's 4chan and they're making it out of spite, so it'd just be "I'M NOT HUGELY MUSCLED" instead of "the core aspect of masculinity and how it's portrayed in modern media and culture is incredibly damaging to both sexes."

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Another thing about the Kickstarter site, does anyone else find it annoying how they list stuff?

What if I dont care about the staff picks, or whats popular, I just want a list, by publish date of all Kickstarters in a category.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

LumberingTroll posted:

Another thing about the Kickstarter site, does anyone else find it annoying how they list stuff?

What if I dont care about the staff picks, or whats popular, I just want a list, by publish date of all Kickstarters in a category.

I found their browsing function so useless and unpleasent that I gave up and just use this thread/other websites to find projects that I might be interested in. It probably means some projects I would potentially want to fund are going by the wayside but oh well.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah the browsing scheme put me off quite a bit when I first started using it. But I guess it's probably for the good of the site as a whole, since most casual users of the site will want to see the projects of merit upfront rather than be bombarded by all the really terrible projects lurking beneath the surface. Having to filter through a bunch of really rank poo poo would probably not be a great, professional-feeling first impression for a site to give off.

It still seems like there should be an option for that, even if they had to hide it well so new users didn't stumble across it easily.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LumberingTroll posted:

It's weird, but I wonder what the best way of listing them would be, simply given the sheer number of new Kickstarter projects made every day. An attempt to just list them per day would be nice to have as an option, at the very least.

In other news, Skyjacker is doing pretty well. 39 days to go, and they're at 62K of a 200K total.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
yeah I agree, wonder how receptive they are to suggestions on the sites layout...

I tend to check it daily, so if there was an option to just go to say, games>Video Games and then list all, filtered by publish date, I would be perfectly happy, I want to see whats new, not what I looked at yesterday. I back a project if I like it, not based on how well its doing, nothing happens if it fails.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just look at the ones about to end. The most funded section is a waste of space ($100 at 10000% funding) and should have been fully funded projects that are ongoing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

In other news, Skyjacker is doing pretty well. 39 days to go, and they're at 62K of a 200K total.

I guess I'm more of a glass half-empty person but I see the fact that they have only raised that much with only 39 days left as very worrisome, especially at their current rate of about 1500 a day. I know things pick up towards the end of a project's lifespan but they're looking at a deficit of about 80k. LumberingTroll's project was salvaged in the last day and a half but they had far less to make up and were far higher profile.

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

NINbuntu 64 posted:

It's 4chan and they're making it out of spite, so it'd just be "I'M NOT HUGELY MUSCLED" instead of "the core aspect of masculinity and how it's portrayed in modern media and culture is incredibly damaging to both sexes."

Well, having read the thread through it does include that. It does counter the argument made that about women are always made attractive. Unrealistic standards set by the media are incredibly damaging to both sexes. Another example include male disposability (for example, when reporting murders/massacres it is often reported "X number of people were killed today, including X women and children") This implies that women are special cases (I am not arguing children aren't). To add weight to the story as it were.

Anyway, this is not the thread to get into it.

What I'm trying to say is that it could be interesting and worth watching out for. You never know they might make something good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Nah I'm pretty sure it will be terrible and insulting to anyone with half a brain.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

KayGee posted:

Well, having read the thread through it does include that. It does counter the argument made that about women are always made attractive. Unrealistic standards set by the media are incredibly damaging to both sexes. Another example include male disposability (for example, when reporting murders/massacres it is often reported "X number of people were killed today, including X women and children") This implies that women are special cases (I am not arguing children aren't). To add weight to the story as it were.

Anyway, this is not the thread to get into it.

What I'm trying to say is that it could be interesting and worth watching out for. You never know they might make something good.

gently caress that, I'll make my own version and hire a better looking guy to star in my kickstarter video because of my severe personal image issues.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I suppose I could use Kicktraq, if you browse, and then select the category on the right, it lists them in reverse order (ending soonest)
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/

But this doesnt parse Kickstarter, someone has to search for it on Kicktraq in order for it to be added...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Al! posted:

I guess I'm more of a glass half-empty person but I see the fact that they have only raised that much with only 39 days left as very worrisome, especially at their current rate of about 1500 a day. I know things pick up towards the end of a project's lifespan but they're looking at a deficit of about 80k. LumberingTroll's project was salvaged in the last day and a half but they had far less to make up and were far higher profile.

You want glass half empty?

Torchships, aka Downbelow Station meets Atomic Rockets: The Game Nexus Should Have Been But Wasn't, is at $9500 out of $40k with 4 days left. :(

KayGee posted:

It could be, but given that it's going to be the 4chan MRA shithead crowd making it, there's not a chance in hell that it will be.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Al! posted:

That's fair. Numbers have been very slow the last few days. They are likely gonna need some coverage.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

It could be, but given that it's going to be the 4chan MRA shithead crowd making it, there's not a chance in hell that it will be.

Oh, like it's even going to leave the epithets and slurs stage of development.

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

NINbuntu 64 posted:

gently caress that, I'll make my own version and hire a better looking guy to star in my kickstarter video because of my severe personal image issues.

Go ahead. You've either managed to miss the point or aren't interested in trying understand it.

ToxicFrog posted:

Gold comes from poo poo sometimes.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

KayGee posted:

Go ahead. You've either managed to miss the point or aren't interested in trying understand it.

Gold comes from poo poo sometimes.

I see you haven't read my posts on this matter at all.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I'd genuinely love a Tropes Vs. Men in Video Games (or any other media) because it would end up showing how it's actually incredibly tied to some serious gender relations issues, such as how any effeminate behavior is seen as gay, usually in a negative light.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

The false expectations set by media are damaging to all sexes and that's a topic that is a very valid point of exploration. Just because women are definitely worse off than men in society does not somehow invalidate the damage that is done by the still slightly rigid views on what is "acceptably masculine."

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Let's face it, if a woman so much as looks at a video game on a shelf that isn't Diner Dash, a very large and vocal amount of people on the internet will jump down her throat. The major problem with this isn't just the harassment of a single person, but the fact that many people are completely oblivious or indifferent to this sort of behaviour. That's what this update is pointing out and it's doing a pretty drat good job of it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

More and more people finding out about all the people who threatened to rape her and the media coverage that came from that.

edit: and it's past 100K.

Looks like my prediction was way off. By about 400 percent from the original goal even. My first failed one yet :(

At this rate it isn't impossible she'll hit 2000 percent or more.

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I see you haven't read my posts on this matter at all.

I did not see those, your reaction to my posts is what gave me the impression I had. Fair enough.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

KayGee posted:

I did not see those, your reaction to my posts is what gave me the impression I had. Fair enough.

No worries. This is all a pretty awkward and touchy issue, especially since it's really pervasive without a lot of people acknowledging, caring, or even being aware of it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

LumberingTroll posted:

This thread has really gone to pot since all this Social Studies stuff has been the main topic of conversation. Id rather talk about Kickstarters rather then how bad women have it in life. Its a fine, warranted conversation, but I think it belongs in D&D, not games, especially now that Kickstarters cannot have their own thread until after they are funded.

This one is promising, and Im glad I have backed it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/sedition-wars-battle-for-alabaster

A TON of high-quality figures, for $100, if your into Trad-games, and like boardgames/wargames that is.

I love that Kickstarter, but I don't have that much money yet. Looking for someone to split it with, since I'd want the terrain pieces too. They're so pretty.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It's heartening to see the support for Sarkeesian's series. It's a subject which has been bothering me for a while now.

109K now. Kickstarter: From each according to his ability to each according to his need. :ussr:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I slightly related news, some guy is failing spectacularly at collecting $40k for a Sierra documentary.

The sad thing is that I'd probably really like to see something like that — nerd history docus such as Get Lamp and BBS The Documentary are hugely fun — but wow, that sales pitch just… wasn't there. Maybe someone should poke Jason Scott and see if he could make another one about a non-text-based topic for once. :D

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Spatial posted:

It's heartening to see the support for Sarkeesian's series. It's a subject which has been bothering me for a while now.

109K now. Kickstarter: From each according to his ability to each according to his need. :ussr:
There's no way that kickstarter isn't going to smash past 2000% of its goal.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Tippis posted:

I slightly related news, some guy is failing spectacularly at collecting $40k for a Sierra documentary.

The sad thing is that I'd probably really like to see something like that — nerd history docus such as Get Lamp and BBS The Documentary are hugely fun — but wow, that sales pitch just… wasn't there. Maybe someone should poke Jason Scott and see if he could make another one about a non-text-based topic for once. :D

What pitch video? It's just a bunch of clips from Sierra games with next to no context or information about what the documentary even is. If he can't convey an idea in his pitch, I don't see why anyone would trust him to do so in a documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

something posted:

Basically some very upset 4channers are playing with the idea of making an opposing kickstarter.

Looks like someone did!

this guy on twitter is posting chatlogs from their steam group. Racial and homophobic slurs abound.