Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheeman
Jun 6, 2012

muttaaaa
I have a Transformer Prime and dock and I'm semi-interested in drawing with my tablet. Does anyone know of a good stylus to draw with? I bought a Targus rubbertip not too long ago and it feels too soft for me and the screen doesn't seem to respond very well to it. I've heard the Adonit Jot Pro and DAGi styluses are pretty nice. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, what you're asking for is already doable with Apple TV.
streaming local content? No, it's not

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

revolther posted:

Not trying to go totally off-topic, it's a new use of Android OS(to me), but saw this on Newegg the other day, whilst searching for networked HDD's and can't help but think it's a little brilliant. Reviews say ICS firmware is already available, 3x USB 2.0, hdmi out up to 1080p, all sorts of normal video codecs supported, HTML5 & Flash10 support through Chrome/Dolphin HD, PlayMarket out the box with reports of just about equal app parity as other android devices.

I know some 2.3/3/4+ android devices with mini-hdmi out ports support this already, like the photon(nexus?), but I love the idea of folks connecting their tabs/phones to a tv to replace desktop PC's, and now you could just use your device with popular android vnc apps as the wifi remote.

Almost makes me think Apple will be trying to do something similar to save the idea of AppleTV. Could be the right time with HD sets pretty well entrenched in the market as compared to a few years ago, and a decent way to replace a parents old computer and tiny monitor on the cheap for Father's Day.

There's dozens of small-box media players out there, the only thing that truly differentiates them is how reliable and user-friendly they are.

It sounds nice in theory but in reality I'd guess the user interface is a loving trainwreck. Trying to adapt a touchscreen-based OS into a 10' interface is not a small task.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

kmcormick9 posted:

streaming local content? No, it's not

It is, if you're willing to encode your files to .mp4.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My house was broken into yesterday; my TV and PS3 were gone, my Acer Iconia A500 was untouched; thus proving that people won't even steal an Android tablet.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My house was broken into yesterday; my TV and PS3 were gone, my Acer Iconia A500 was untouched; thus proving that people won't even steal an Android tablet.

Condolences? You seem disappointed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kynetx posted:

Maybe he was hoping to make another thread like this one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crackbone posted:

There's dozens of small-box media players out there, the only thing that truly differentiates them is how reliable and user-friendly they are.

It sounds nice in theory but in reality I'd guess the user interface is a loving trainwreck. Trying to adapt a touchscreen-based OS into a 10' interface is not a small task.

I'm presuming it's running Google TV stuff like this one does http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-mini-pc-google-tv-player-w-wifi-allwinner-a10-cortex-a8-tf-hdmi-white-4gb-137012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hi there Android Tablet Thread, it's 1080p (actually 1920x1200) Android Tablet day!

The Acer A700 has been announced, priced ($449), and is available for preorder.

The ASUS TF700T ("Transformer Prime Infinity") has also been announced, but while there's an unboxing video it's not priced and up for preorder yet.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So the rumoured specs for the ASUS Nexus 7" sound good to me for £96-£160, Tegra3, 1GB ram, 1280*768 screen and upto 32GB microSD storage.

Assuming that's about right is there anything to be worried about from this considering it's an ASUS tablet?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Two things:
1. Google seems to hate microSD storage now, it probably won't be expandable.

2. Your currency indicates you're outside the USA and sometimes Google is slow about getting things out to non-US countries. Hopefully that won't be the case this time.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Verizian posted:

Assuming that's about right is there anything to be worried about from this considering it's an ASUS tablet?

ASUS will hold out hostage if you ship it to them for repairs. That's after breaking it further to make sure youre not covered under warranty.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Kynetx posted:

Nah, just amazed that any moron would think a 40GB PS3 is gonna be fenced for more than a 4-month old tablet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If it is drug addicts they were looking for something easy to sell not something with the most value. A PS3 will sell a lot quicker than a tablet that isn't an iPad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Verizian posted:

So the rumoured specs for the ASUS Nexus 7" sound good to me for £96-£160, Tegra3, 1GB ram, 1280*768 screen and upto 32GB microSD storage.

I assume you took the $200-250 & converted it to gbp to get those prices. This is laughably naive, it will be £200-250 if we are fortunate.

On the plus side our consumer protection laws mean we won't get noisily hosed to death by their customer care if anything goes wrong.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rastor posted:

The ASUS TF700T ("Transformer Prime Infinity") has also been announced, but while there's an unboxing video it's not priced and up for preorder yet.

Good God, how many "Transformer" tablets has ASUS released in the past year? 4? 5?

I mean...don't they know why the iPad is far and away the most successful tablet? Because Apple takes their time, and only releases ONE new version of it a year. They take a whole year to tinker and play with it to get it drat near perfect.

Now, granted, being in complete control of both hardware AND software is a bonus for them, but honestly, it's not like Android is brand-new anymore. Take the loving time to get ONE tablet right, rather than making GBS threads out new version after new version, that then won't even work with the previous version's accessories (this is especially maddening in the case of the Transformer series, since none of the keyboard docks seem to work with previous ones.)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
It's an Android thing, I just don't get it. All the spastic thrashing around and releasing hardware without any clear differentiation between models is just goddamn retarded and it hurts everyone from the supply chain to the manufacturer, thru the retail channel and third party accessory vendors and down to the customers.

I can get an iPhone case at a goddamn gas station. Getting hardware accessories for Android phones and tablets is almost impossible unless you own a Droid variant or Evo of some kind. Somehow I was able to get my hands on a TPU case for my SGS2E4GT at a mall kiosk, and last week tripped across the poo poo-tastic 1st-party stand/case for my Transformer at a Staples. I had to get the case because the only other thing available is a leather case that effectively triples the thickness of the tablet. I need something since I won't cart this thing around unprotected, but the Asus case has all the tactile quality of dental X-ray bite wings.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
But you see Android gives me the freedom to chose between many mediocre devices instead of being locked into the walled garden of a single good device.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
All those rare earth metals, gone, like tears in the rain

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

But you see Android gives me the freedom to chose between many mediocre devices instead of being locked into the walled garden of a single good device.

I wish someone would lock you in a walled garden.

Is there a reason you keep trolling this thread? Other then to tell us how mediocre our devices are, I mean.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I have to use an Android tablet 5 days a week. I'm not trolling, I'm sharing my miserable experience with a mediocre device.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

zer0spunk posted:

I wish someone would lock you in a walled garden.

Is there a reason you keep trolling this thread? Other then to tell us how mediocre our devices are, I mean.

There is no trolling going on, it's just this thread is going on about mediocre Android Tablets, the App thread currently has a list of ways Google sucks and the Recommend me a tablet thread is recommending iPad regardless of what the user says.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

I have to use an Android tablet 5 days a week. I'm not trolling, I'm sharing my miserable experience with a mediocre device.

Great, so we get to hear you complain about it constantly? Here's my counter to your whiny anecdote; I've had a tf 201 w/ dock for 6 months, I use it practically everyday. It's been anything but "mediocre" and I'm excited for the 200 price point 7" versions to drop. 150-200 is an excellent price point and hopefully it does well in retail.

Google and Asus aren't great at mass marketing individually, together hopefully they step it up otherwise the general consumer will keep going for Fires at the same price point just due to brand name and advertising.

The Merkinman posted:

There is no trolling going on, it's just this thread is going on about mediocre Android Tablets, the App thread currently has a list of ways Google sucks and the Recommend me a tablet thread is recommending iPad regardless of what the user says.

The anti google echo chamber trifecta!

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 14, 2012

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Because ASUS has such great customer service. I can't find it at the moment, but there was also someone who haid their new Transformer Prime sent in and got back the original first gen one.

I don't think I could recommend the new Google tablet to anyone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

That last guy is an Android user. You're getting a little defensive about your Consumer Electronics Purchasing Decisions. You might enjoy your Transformer Prime, but it's had a number of issues, including the WiFi and GPS debacle, random reboots, screens cracking from the dock, not to mention all the customer service horror stories.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Great, so we get to hear you complain about it constantly? Here's my counter to your whiny anecdote; I've had a tf 201 w/ dock for 6 months, I use it practically everyday. It's been anything but "mediocre" and I'm excited for the 200 price point 7" versions to drop. 150-200 is an excellent price point and hopefully it does well in retail.

Google and Asus aren't great at mass marketing individually, together hopefully they step it up otherwise the general consumer will keep going for Fires at the same price point just due to brand name and advertising.

Dude you need to chill out. It's not trolling when you're pointing out real issues with the platform and current devices. I am an Android user/lover as well and have tried multiple Android tablets but still go back to the iPad. Maybe in a few years it'll be different but as of now there is no denying that there are serious issues when it comes to the Android tablet world.

Edit: That's not to say that there aren't a lot of people that are perfectly happy with Android tablets. I wanted to be one of those people. If you're satisfied with yours, that's awesome and I am genuinely happy for you. I'm just tired of searching around for the ~perfect~ Android tablet when the iPad does everything I need a tablet for pretty much flawlessly.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 14, 2012

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

That last guy is an Android user. You're getting a little defensive about your Consumer Electronics Purchasing Decisions. You might enjoy your Transformer Prime, but it's had a number of issues, including the WiFi and GPS debacle, random reboots, screens cracking from the dock, not to mention all the customer service horror stories.

If defensive is sharing my experience with a device, that has been nothing but positive during my long term ownership of it, then sure.

I'm just rebutting his blanket statement that all android tablets are mediocre. That hasn't been my experience whatsoever. In fact, others who also have the device have said the same thing in this very thread.

If you're (this isn't pointed to you in particular) making recommendations based on what you read on XDA forums secondhand instead of actually using the device then I don't know what else to say...

edit: I like how if I dismiss someones baseless criticism, then I must be white knighting android. You guys realize this is the android tablet discussion thread..

"android tablets suck" isn't much of a discussion...

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Edit: If you're satisfied with yours, that's awesome and I am genuinely happy for you. I'm just tired of searching around for the ~perfect~ Android tablet when the iPad does everything I need a tablet for pretty much flawlessly.

Gotcha. you went with the ipad. My point is, I went with the prime. In a perfect world, you'd be discussing ipad things in the ipad thread, and I'd be discussing android things here in the android tab thread. See: The android phone thread for a working example of this.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 14, 2012

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

zer0spunk posted:

edit: I like how if I dismiss someones baseless criticism, then I must be white knighting android. You guys realize this is the android tablet discussion thread..

his baseless criticism based on constant use of an android tablet (which I think is a transformer prime if I remember correctly).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

El Duke Silver posted:

his baseless criticism based on constant use of an android tablet (which I think is a transformer prime if I remember correctly).

he's got a tf300 that he says freezes all the time. that sounds atypical to me considering I have the same hardware more or less and no issues. a few others with 300's have said they really like theirs in here as well.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

"android tablets suck" isn't much of a discussion...
The thing is, that's pretty much been the case. That being said, I'm still going to sink the $200/$250 on the Nexus tablet when it comes out and just hope I don't have to deal with Asus. :retrogames::spergin:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean...don't they know why the iPad is far and away the most successful tablet? Because Apple takes their time, and only releases ONE new version of it a year. They take a whole year to tinker and play with it to get it drat near perfect.
Technically, Apple released two this year: The new iPad and a revised iPad 2.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The thing is, that's pretty much been the case. That being said, I'm still going to sink the $200/$250 on the Nexus tablet when it comes out and just hope I don't have to deal with Asus. :retrogames::spergin:

I'm hoping it's more like 150-200 then 200-250. Project Kai talks specifically about that 199 price point, so I'm thinking the sub 200 range isn't out of the question when you factor in a few hardware manufacturers all going with the kai/7 inch model.

150 bucks for a 7 inch 720p portable touchscreen monitor will have this thing being snatched up in low cost film making and photography markets.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I'm hoping it's more like 150-200 then 200-250. Project Kai talks specifically about that 199 price point, so I'm thinking the sub 200 range isn't out of the question when you factor in a few hardware manufacturers all going with the kai/7 inch model.
I'm all for low cost as long as that doesn't mean they build it out of used bubblegum and recycled toilet paper.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
It stutters during UI animations perry much constantly. It seems like a small thing but its night and day when compared to an ipad. Every other operation suffers from the same problem. The difference between a device running a VM and one running native code is really dramatic.

The default browser loves to tile and shear while scrolling.

Its made of cheap plastic, thicker than an ipad.

Its not trolling. Its not "anti google". Its just not as good as the competition.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

It stutters during UI animations perry much constantly. It seems like a small thing but its night and day when compared to an ipad. Every other operation suffers from the same problem. The difference between a device running a VM and one running native code is really dramatic.

The default browser loves to tile and shear while scrolling.

Its made of cheap plastic, thicker than an ipad.

Its not trolling. Its not "anti google". Its just not as good as the competition.

I have to ask what exactly you're doing with it? We have pretty much the same soc, though mine is clocked slightly faster (1.5 vs 1.3). Unless I have multiple applications all syncing data in the background (and we're talking like 6+ apps heavily eating data all at once & set to poll every minute), I get absolutely nothing like what you're describing.

This is not typical behavior is what I'm telling you. I don't experience this at all. Maybe some other 300 owners can chime in here.

In terms of build quality, you can't really compare a 32 gig TF-300 @ ~400 to a 600 dollar 32gig metal ipad. If anything you'd be comparing the tf-700 series which is in the same price bracket and also metal. The concession on price in the 300 series is in the body, whereas you still get the same internals of the higher end models.

Obviously the same concessions (plastic vs metal, slightly thicker) will be made on the coming $200 7" tabs since you're still getting the same internals. I could be wrong, hopefully.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
The stutters and tiling are mentioned in every review. This is not some bizarre behaviour unique to our device, it's just android.

It is absolutely fair to compare the build quality of a 400$ transformer to a 400$ ipad 2. It's not a budget device, it's just cheaply made.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
It's worth noting that before asking IYG we tried several Android tablets and they had similar performance issues.

This is the one that was recommended and it still does nothing to stand out from the herd. If the transformer is the best android tablet Apple has this game wrapped up.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

computers posted:

ASUS will hold out hostage if you ship it to them for repairs. That's after breaking it further to make sure youre not covered under warranty.

Is this sharing your mediocre experience?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

computers posted:

The stutters and tiling are mentioned in every review. This is not some bizarre behaviour unique to our device, it's just android.

It is absolutely fair to compare the build quality of a 400$ transformer to a 400$ ipad 2. It's not a budget device, it's just cheaply made.

I'm looking for the reviews of the device, because hey maybe I'm wrong. Maybe that 200mhz difference in clock speed is an issue. I don't have a 300, and I've never seen the tiling thing you're talking about on my 201. The only mention of stutter I can find in a tf 300 review is engadget's review, who mention that it went away after the first device reboot which falls in line with the initial sync of a new device.
I've been looking at user videos on youtube, but I can't find anything that shows tiling, just it working normally. I'll even shoot you a video of me opening the stock broswer and going to the new york times site, clicking around, zooming in and out, etc with no issue if you really don't believe me.

About the only thing I see mentioned in the transformer reviews is random app lockups or crashing, but I don't know if you can discount that. It's not like the tegra 3 is some generic SOC or even missing entire instruction sets like the tegra 2.. There's a specific forbes article that shows apps can crash as much on any platform. Bad software is bad software..

Quality: My point is still valid, you have a brand new device with better internal specs and double the memory vs a year old ipad 2 at the same price point, which is a discounted price from its much higher initial retail.
Again, they had to compromise build materials (plastic over metal/weight) to achieve that. This wasn't a shocker to anyone.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Yes, Android is bad software.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)