Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Miracon posted:

The first one I played was 1, and the first one I beat was Mystic Quest. I played 4 and 6 a lot as a kid, but I still say 12 was my favorite :colbert:

Yeah, one of these days I keep meaning to beat FF12. Maybe once I get bored of 14.

Gotta beat 3 and 5, too. And while I'm at it, I guess I'll do 13 so I can say I've beaten them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

I think revenantkioku lives in Japan, taking a look at his twitter. Might be wrong though.

RK lives in Japan, yes.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, one of these days I keep meaning to beat FF12. Maybe once I get bored of 14.

Gotta beat 3 and 5, too. And while I'm at it, I guess I'll do 13 so I can say I've beaten them all.

I'd really suggest not bothering with 3. The NES version just isn't fun and somehow the DS version made that worse. Apart from anything else the endgame is a five or six hour slog, the last boss is easily the hardest in the series (and not in a good way, either you outheal the damage she does or she slowly beats you to death), and there aren't any save points in those last few hours.

Seems to me there's a pretty good opportunity to beat 5 staring you right in the face.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Fungah! posted:

I'd really suggest not bothering with 3. The NES version just isn't fun and somehow the DS version made that worse. Apart from anything else the endgame is a five or six hour slog, the last boss is easily the hardest in the series (and not in a good way, either you outheal the damage she does or she slowly beats you to death), and there aren't any save points in those last few hours.

Seems to me there's a pretty good opportunity to beat 5 staring you right in the face.

I know, but shouldn't I beat it the proper way first? Plus, FF14 addiction.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Ugh. I'd beaten FFV on my PS2 twice, but it always had this irritating problem where the save screen would turn into a jumbled mess. I'd read people say that was a problem with the game on PS2, along with freezing and other glitches- however, it was supposed to run great on the PS3. So just to be safe I start on the PS3, play a half hour to get to the wind shrine save point- and it freezes. Awesome. Now I don't know whether to do my FJF challenge on the PS2 or PS3.

Edit: Welp, I restarted and saved fine twice, then it froze again. Guess I'll be playing on the PS2 with its glitchy save graphics.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 15, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

There's nothing "proper" about Spellblade Dual Wield Rapid Fire.

I'm pretty excited to be actually participating in the Fiesta this year. Every time I've played through V, I just end up using the same job/ability combinations, and never really try the others until the post-game grind.

I'm thinking once they start allowing PSOne classics on Vita, I'll pick up FFVIII. It's the only game outside of XIV that I've never played, and it's there with III and XII as the games I haven't beaten. Really should be XII someday; I'm right at the final boss, but I'd already done all the other end game content before I realized I still hadn't beaten the game itself.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Moldy Taxes posted:

There's nothing "proper" about Spellblade Dual Wield Rapid Fire.

I'm pretty excited to be actually participating in the Fiesta this year. Every time I've played through V, I just end up using the same job/ability combinations, and never really try the others until the post-game grind.

I'm thinking once they start allowing PSOne classics on Vita, I'll pick up FFVIII. It's the only game outside of XIV that I've never played, and it's there with III and XII as the games I haven't beaten. Really should be XII someday; I'm right at the final boss, but I'd already done all the other end game content before I realized I still hadn't beaten the game itself.

Yeah, that's where I was this time last year. I'd beaten V umpteen times before, but it was always with the same overpowered jobs and abilities. The Fiesta gave me a reason to play the game fresh, and even though I wasn't terribly happy with my team I had a lot of fun.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Fungah! posted:

Yeah, that's where I was this time last year. I'd beaten V umpteen times before, but it was always with the same overpowered jobs and abilities. The Fiesta gave me a reason to play the game fresh, and even though I wasn't terribly happy with my team I had a lot of fun.

I'm personally looking forward to my team of thief/berserker/berserker/berserker

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There aren't many jobs I can't resist using in V, but to date I always make sure I get every Blue spell as I go, and carry a Samurai all the way through World 2 so that I've just learned !Iainuki in time to one-shot the crystals in the Forest of Moore.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I just signed up for FFVFF's #hardmode. Only slightly late!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
How bad of an idea would it be to go into the Fiesta completely blind? I have never played FFV, but having a ridiculous gimmick would give me a good reason to get around to it.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

jivjov posted:

How bad of an idea would it be to go into the Fiesta completely blind? I have never played FFV, but having a ridiculous gimmick would give me a good reason to get around to it.

It's your choice, but I wouldn't recommend it. The whole thing about playing a Four Job Fiesta is finding ways to squeeze past boss battles using tactics that don't get used that much in a normal playthrough.

Then again, you could always give the Four Job Fiesta a try, and let us know how it works for a first-timer?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

jivjov posted:

There was at least one guy in the thread who did it last year and seemed to have a lot of fun. That being said, the best part of your first playthrough is figuring out all the gamebreaking poo poo and you're not likely to have access to most of the really nasty combos in the FJF. On the other hand, the game's really good and if that's what it takes to get you through it, I'd say go for it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I wouldn't really...FF5 is fun because of all the job systems and you're denying yourself a good chunk of the game by not indulging in it.

If you absolutely MUST I guess normal mode would be possible but really, it'll just make the game more boring. FF5 has a very classic design, there's items hidden away either through enemy drops or obtuse locations that require some foreknowledge to take the most advantage of the game when you're playing challenges.

It'd be like playing FFX without the sphere grid, theoretically possible but on your first run? Not very fun, not only is it much more difficult you're denying yourself access to the tools that make the game fun in the first place.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does PSone FFV have the great translation that the GBA one had?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nope, and you have to deal with the infuriating load times that all of those PSX SNES ports had.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It has among the worst translations of any high-profile game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

No, it has an incredibly awful translation. Like they translate Wyvern as "Y-Burn"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Princess Salsa...

homeless snail posted:

Nope, and you have to deal with the infuriating load times that all of those PSX SNES ports had.

The load times actually aren't too bad on FFV. It's a bit slow at the save screen, but there isn't any terrible load time going to the menu or before battles or anything.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011
I'm actually slating out my first playthrough of FFV as a Four Job Fiesta Run because I believe I'll actually need the restrictions to enjoy the game. I know if given the chance to sperg, I probably will. Looking at the Job System where you master a job and get to apply those special job abilities to other jobs I could easily see myself grinding out masteries and trying out twink characters and before I know it, I'm off to GameFAQs to read how to do the most gamebreaking strats possible and where all the secret sidequest loot is and oh god. I know I've done the same poo poo with FF8, you can break that game right out of the gate if you know what to do. After breaking FF8 I tried to play a run that was actually fun but I couldn't do it. I knew too much. I would have to intentionally handicap myself but every handicap I could think of could be negated by copious amounts of mindless grinding or exploiting the system I knew so well.

So no, in terms of FFV I don't know where all the good weapons are stashed or where to find the good magic or how to properly min-max each character. I think the restrictions will be good for me, I'll just have to learn every boss by figuring out strategy by good ol' trial and error. It'll be like a puzzle. To be fair, it won't be a completely blind run because I'll probably watch most of RevenantKioku's run and I did read that low-level FFV let's play.

Still, Four Job Fiesta, I intend to beat it.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
All this Four Job Fiesta talk has made me decide I want to switch to Hard. I asked RK about it, hopefully he can switch me over. If not I'll just make another account I guess?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Uuuuugh his run is starting so eeearlyyyyy. :negative: (in about 3 hours by the way according to Twitter) Anyone know if it's going to be recorded so I can watch it later if I have to?

Impish
Jun 15, 2012
I just got my hands on a PS2 (I'm a little behind), and having played FFVII on it (which is so much better than on my PSone, the cut-scenes actually run smoothly!), and I wanted to know what are the best Square Enix exclusives? Which are good, which are bad and what's better than what? Obviously I know Kingdom Hearts and XII are must-plays, but what other gems are there?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Impish posted:

I just got my hands on a PS2 (I'm a little behind), and having played FFVII on it (which is so much better than on my PSone, the cut-scenes actually run smoothly!), and I wanted to know what are the best Square Enix exclusives? Which are good, which are bad and what's better than what? Obviously I know Kingdom Hearts and XII are must-plays, but what other gems are there?

You can't go wrong with Dragon Quest. There's a thread about it, where the question of which one for newcomers to start with seems to be the most common topic of discussion. For my money, that series has a strong (though far from uncontested) claim to being the best of the genre.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

The voice acting was mostly terrible and the third act was pants-on-head retarded, but gently caress if I didn't love the poo poo out of 80-90% of that game. :unsmith:

The second disk of SO3 was the only good part of the loving game.

Who would have thought a game called Star Ocean, taking place in space, would be at its most enjoyable...when in space.

Well, space or another dimension. Either way, it beats Irrelevant Stock Fantasy Setting.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Nah, FFVI really is the best one.

Chrono Trigger kicks FF6's rear end, but FF6 is the best Final Fantasy game. Chrono Trigger, FF6 and Mario RPG make up the holy trinity of JRPGs.

We're talking only Square JRPGs right? I think Xenogears belongs in there.

e:

Miracon posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed the Great Crystal and the Pharos. Then again, I'm also biased because XII International is my favorite FF.

I also love them. The Pharos is my favorite final dungeon in an FF game. A final dungeon should feel like an epic trek as you slowly get nearer and nearer the climax of the game. The Pharos was exactly that.
(granted the Pharos doesn'thave much competition since I did not find the final dungeons of FFIV, VII, X or XIII that great. VIII and IX were okay but FFXII's lack of battel transitions really immerses me more than any other FF ever could)

The Crystal had an awesome look and amazing music.

It helps that both these dungeons end in really good cutscenes.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 15, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

The second disk of SO3 was the only good part of the loving game.

Who would have thought a game called Star Ocean, taking place in space, would be at its most enjoyable...when in space.

Well, space or another dimension. Either way, it beats Irrelevant Stock Fantasy Setting.

We're talking only Square JRPGs right? I think Xenogears belongs in there.

It would if Disc 2 wasn't a total abortion.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Azure_Horizon posted:

It would if Disc 2 wasn't a total abortion.

Disc 2 was the best part. It got rid of that boring mediocre gameplay for the most part.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
RK's run is now live at http://www.letsplaying.com/lets-playing/FF5FF/rkrun.php or http://ja.twitch.tv/revenantkioku#r=-rid-&s=em

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

He hasn't started playing yet though. It's been looping the title screen for almost an hour.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Looks like he's getting started now.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Out of curiosity, are we talking about his run or anything related to the Fiesta on IRC somewhere?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Finally beat 13. Man, that was a terrible game. Good looking, but holy poo poo it deserves the hyperboles lobbed at it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
nvm

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Looks like six people are getting two Berserkers from their Berserker Risk, since there's 83 people at risk and over $890 in the donation pot.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sometimes I consider picking up some FF games on iOS. But Goddamn, are they overpriced. $8.99 for FFI and II each, $15.99 for III and Tactics. I never did beat III or Tactics, and maybe I could always play them during downtime at work, but I have a hard time justifying $16 for an iPhone game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sometimes I consider picking up some FF games on iOS. But Goddamn, are they overpriced. $8.99 for FFI and II each, $15.99 for III and Tactics. I never did beat III or Tactics, and maybe I could always play them during downtime at work, but I have a hard time justifying $16 for an iPhone game.

Don't buy FF Tactics for the iOS unless you like the same crippling slowdown problems that plagued the PSP release.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Disc 2 was the best part. It got rid of that boring mediocre gameplay for the most part.

Disc 2 was great for the boss music that had a dude rapping about choppin' beans.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

iastudent posted:

Out of curiosity, are we talking about his run or anything related to the Fiesta on IRC somewhere?
I don't believe so, but if someone with more knowledge about IRC wants to claim #ffvfjf (or just #ffv) for the duration, that could be radical :)

As of now, RK is having some technical difficulties, right after some gameplay difficulties: getting the Main Gauche from the Fire Crystal castle (took a wrong turn).

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
RK let me register again so I'm officially registered for Hard. What a nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

You can't go wrong with Dragon Quest. There's a thread about it, where the question of which one for newcomers to start with seems to be the most common topic of discussion. For my money, that series has a strong (though far from uncontested) claim to being the best of the genre.

Seconding this. I still hold Dragon Quest VIII as the Best JRPG I've ever played, followed up by Persona 4 (Also on PS2 for you) and either FFX or Xenoblade.