Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Mega64 posted:

Hopefully it starts soon so I can actually fit some playtime in today, as I'm busy from noon on.

I know I'll be posting my experiences here and posting videos of boss battles on Youtube, even though they'll be boring for the most part.

It has begun!

Join #FF5Fiesta @ irc.synirc.net there's a few of us in here already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I got Knight as my first job! Not bad, since I honestly haven't really used knights much in the past.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also got monk. I loved the monks in Final Fantasy 1 (they are broken as gently caress in that game) so this is okay with me.

Playing the SNES version with the old translation patch emulated on my Wii, because I wanted to play it on my TV and I don't want to play the PSX version, don't have a GBA Player/Gamecube, and the GBA emulator on this isn't super great. Also an emulator lets me fast forward during cutscenes (I will not use save states though).

And I'm not going to go out of my way to power level, but I'm not going to do a low level run or anything.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 16, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Wind Job 'Blue Mage'. Time to fight a whole lot!

Sweet. Time to go get beat up by monsters!

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Gilgabot posted:

@Rooreelooo can now use the Wind Job 'White Mage'. Robes and staves all day long.

Motherf... wasn't there a rule that says you're allowed to use a freelancer as well? Because i can already tell that this is gonna be a looong road to victory...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, it's kinda a slog until you get your water job; but after that white mages are p. powerful! I got one as well. An extra rule was you could use a freelance until you got the second job.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

@Harahune can now use the Wind Job 'Black Mage'. Boom.

Not too bad. Not as good as Blue Mage but I don't have to putz around getting the spells.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

For people starting with White Mage, if you can make it to the ship graveyard (just a boss after getting the first crystal), it's a bit easier there. You'll get a flail that will help you deal damage and there are also mostly undead things there that can be hurt by Cure.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Thief. Off to painful start already. At least I'll finally get the Genji Gear for a change.

Time to get my 3 Berserkers now.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Knight!

Double-grip Axe-wielding Berserkers here I come :black101:

Rooreelooo posted:

Motherf... wasn't there a rule that says you're allowed to use a freelancer as well? Because i can already tell that this is gonna be a looong road to victory...

quote:

EXTRA RULE: If your Wind Crystal Job is White Mage and you are having troubles, you may use ONE FREELANCER until the water jobs. If you are playing Hard Mode, however, this is discouraged.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Well its nice to know that i have that to fall back on if i need it, although i'm gonna give the 4x white mage my best shot first since i don't think it will be that bad

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Thief, son of a...

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Thanks to fast forwarding with an emulator, I got to the water crystal really quickly, and got Time Mage. Not sure how I feel about Black Mage/Time Mage, but Haste/Slow will be very nice at least.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

For those of you getting stuck with Thief, don't despair! Granted, you have a slow start, but once you get to the Fire Ship, you can farm Hi-Potions by stealing them from Poltergeists. The rest of us have to wait until the second world to buy 'em.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Breezed through with Monks so far, but now I'm stuck at Garula. That guy counters hard as poo poo. Focus isn't working, either.

May have to actually grind for this one.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

My second job is Thief but at least I have hi-potions to look forward to. Garula's not really hard for a four-Knight team if you've kept everyone in the newest gear.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Grinded to L10, got extra damage, and barely beat Garula.

Second job is Berserker. Now to hope that's the only one I get.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just beat Garula. Pray for me.

edit: Mystic Knight. Would have liked Red Mage for some healing magic, but I'll take what I can get.

edit 2: I have a Mystic Knight with Brawl, and 3 Monks with Barrier. This next section will be awesome.

Twitch fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 16, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Twitch posted:

Just beat Garula. Pray for me.

edit: Mystic Knight. Would have liked Red Mage for some healing magic, but I'll take what I can get.

edit 2: I have a Mystic Knight with Brawl, and 3 Monks with Barrier. This next section will be awesome.

You should have a fun time with Liquid Flame.

A strategy I picked up while fighting him (spoiled in case you want to form a strategy yourself): Counterattacks don't trigger Liquid Flame's form changes. His hand form only does physical attacks. If you have Chakra, the fight becomes a breeze.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy VII has been in the Steam registry for ages, but apparently Square-Enix has just registered finalfantasyviipc.com. This could get interesting.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/finalfantasyviipc.com

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Aggh mother loving Siren with four thieves and only 8 potions!

Xillah fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 16, 2012

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

I just found a pretty informative Class Analysis post by Man God over at NeoGAF from last years Fiesta. I figured I would share it with you all!

quote:

FF V JOB FIESTA CLASS ANALYSIS:

:krakken:
Guaranteed Game Winners (By Crystal)

Knight

Default Ability: !Guard
Innate Abilities: Cover
Can use: Daggers, Light Swords, Heavy Swords, Shields
Affects:
Strength: +23
Agility: +1
Stamina: +20
Magic: -14
Total ABP to master: 690

Abilities: Cover, !Guard, 2 Handed, Eq Shields, Eq Armor, Eq Swords

Upsides: Knights are the best pure physical attackers in the game. Two handed makes world one a joke up until the earth crystal. They can heal with flametongues, use flame shields to open up their equipment slot. Excalibur and Brave Blade are insane, and Ragnarok is even better, though you're unlikely to get it. The only better equip ability in the game over what the Knight has is Equip Ribbons. Shields are awesome on mages, Knight swords are awesome on Berserkers, Ninjas, Dancers, and any other physical class. Heavy Armor can also be really decent. Knights take almost as good as they give. Rapid Fire, Dual Wield, Spellblade are all amazing on a knight. They can be decent users of White Wind because of the HP.

Downsides: Kinda slow. Might want to take Brave Blade (and never run ever) over Chicken Knife. Yeah, not much here, knights rule.

Fun Idea: Dueling Knights in the fork tower have the rare steal of Flame Shield! Get four, equip shields and you have late game healing sown up while freeing up your accessory slot!

Blue Mage

Default Ability: !Blue (all spells)
Innate Abilities: Learning
Can use: Knives, Light Swords, Rods, Shields
Affects:
Strength: -8
Stamina: +3
Magic: +23
Total ABP to master: 350

Abilities: !Check, Learning, !Blue !Scan

Upsides: Decent equipment for mages, blue magic is insanely useful in this game. Magic power ignoring healing through reflect, mighty guard for buffing, level 5 death for money/abp grinding on objects d'art, other level x spells giving you untold options. Dancing Dirk is all you need to get all the spells in the game, but Beast Master can make your challenge even less difficult. All that and you can equip shields.

Downsides: Berserkers can kill your learning buzz...and that's about it.

Fun Idea: You can teach the Rift boss Azulmagia the few Blue Magic spells he doesn't know! Self Destruct in front of him for any easy victory, but remember to learn any spells you can from him first!

Mystic Knight

Default Ability: !Spellblade
Innate Abilities: Magic Shell
Can use: Daggers, Light Swords, Shields
Affects:
Strength: +14
Agility: +14
Stamina: +14
Magic: +1
Total ABP to master: 680

Abilities:Magic Shell, !Spell blade lv1- !Spell blade lv6

Upsides: Easy single target healing via flame spell blade, easily self healing with drain sword, break sword kills everything not immune to it, elemental weakness enemies are also one shot. Good stamina, great speed, spellblade works on all knight swords, most light swords, all regular knives and some ninja knives. Give this guy two handed, dual wield or rapid fire and its really game over. Oh, add shields and heavy armor to that. Incredible class. Can easily solo Exdeath.

Downsides: Lowest Strength of any Heavy Armor job. Poor knowledge of enemies can lead to embarassing multi thousand hp heals. Yeah, I'm stretching here.

Fun Ideas: Well, you need flare and holy swords for their incredible strength, but what if you don't have a caster with you? Silence Sword to the rescue.

Summoner

Default Ability: !Summon (all spells)
Innate Abilities: None
Can use: Knives, Rods
Affects:
Strength: -10
Agility: -1
Stamina: -1
Magic: +33
Total ABP to master: 750

Abilties: !Summon 1- !Summon6, !Call

Upsides: Ultimate utility caster. Insanely high base magic. Spells of every element, instagib abilities, Full revival, Perfect physical and magic protection. Rods. You give them !gaia, !barehanded, !animals, !throw (yes throw, scrolls+appropriate rod+high magic power=dead enemies at a low low cost) or any of the wind crystal magical jobs and they will just be better. Remember kids, Air Knifes will boost Slydra!

Downsides: Not good with physical hits. Boo hoo. Not that fast either.

Fun Idea: Call is actually pretty awesome...if you skip every early summon except Ifrit and Titan (you can't miss them) you can turn call into a powerhouse summon most of the time!

Chemist

Default Ability: !Drink
Innate Abilities: Pharmacology
Can use: Knives, Staves
Affects:
Strength: +2
Agility: +3
Stamina: +6
Magic: -4
Total ABP to master: 630

Abilities Pharmacology, !Mix, !Recover ,!Revive

Upsides: The truely broken !mix ability can beat any boss at pretty much any level. Speaking of levels, they don't matter. You can buff your entire party to level 255 if you want, with 9999 hp. Bosses will do almost nothing to you. You can also add almost every buff in the game to your physical attackers. !Drink would be an amazing ability if not for mix only being able to do most of that stuff. You even have options for debuffing (crippling really) most bosses or just killing them with your underrated targeted attacks. Anything to improve the Chemists horrible defense and regular offensive abilities is appreciated.

Downsides: Some of the worst stats in the game. But who cares?

Fun Ideas: Most people know all about raising your own level and such, but if you have a Blue Mage, raising your opponents level can be just what you need for added violent death.

Samurai

Default Ability: !Zeninage
Innate Abilties: Shirahadori
Can use: Daggers, Katanas, Shields
Affects:
Strength: +19
Agility: +2
Stamina: +19
Magic: -12
Total ABP to master: 820

Abilities: !Mineuchi, !Zeninage, Shirahadori, Eq Katana, !Ianuki

Upsides: GP Rain, Critical hit happy katanas, arguably the best 12 legendary weapon that gives you a free turn before anyone else, heavy armor, shields. !GP Rain is wanted by everyone except Berserkers and can easily kill old Exdeath. You also have some interesting utility with your slow as hell Odin impersonation. Shirahadori is amazing when passed as an innate to freelancers but isn't great in a fiesta challenge. Equip Katana could probably be used on a Berserker. Samurai's love the stuff other physical classes do; Equip Swords, Two Handed, Dual Wield, that sort.

Downsides: Katanas are rare early on. GP Rain can be expensive and won't be great damage if you are low level. Yeah, not much here to complain about.

Fun Ideas: Thieves can steal a ton of good Katanas early on. !Ianuki works on some bosses, give it a go!

Great Party Member (By Crystal)

Black Mage

Default Ability: !Black (all spells)
Can use: Knives, Rods
Affects:
Strength: -9
Agility: No Change
Stamina: -2
Magic: +31
Total ABP to master: 680

Abilties: !Black 1 - !Black 6, MP+ 30%

Upsides: Black Magic, high magic attack power. This class was the hardest to place as it really is almost good enough to hang with the big boys. Firaga+Flame Rings is basically just as good of a method of healing as Curaga. Break (so long as it beats the opponents M. Def) is really useful. You can break rods...or equip them to make your spells even better. !Black is appreciated as a back up (or primary) casting method on the water crystal caster jobs and on a team with flame rings can go on ANYONE for some in battle quick healing. You go great with any passed caster abilities, or !Gaia or Barehanded for some early destruction. A good defensive equip also never goes wrong.

Downsides: Terrible non casting stats. Not the best equipment choices. Only one Magus Rod that you might need to share with another class. Have a hard time against Garula.

Fun Ideas: Black Mages, like Knights, are terribly straight forward. Give them fun attacks that use Magic Power and stuff will fall over.

White Mage

Default Ability: !White (all spells)
Can use: Staves
Affects:
Strength: -7
Stamina: No change
Magic: +25
Total ABP to master: 580

Abilties: !White 1 - !White 6, MP +10%

Upsides: Straight forward healing magic and decent defensive buffs. After doing a bunch of Fiesta challenges without white magic you really start to appreciate it. It goes well with all other caster jobs and is a great all around job to toss on someone for a quick heal and then put on a different ability. Late game Holy does destroy all. As with all casting jobs does well with any Magic Power based abilities.

Downsides: Weak. Hard to beat Garula with just them (Cure and be lucky) Yeah, that's about it, White Mages rule.

Fun Stuff: White Mage your only caster and you need to beat Omni? Berserk him after buffing your party up! You can do it! Also you can beat the crap out of Metamorph's in the sages cave for their awesome staff of light!

Time Mage

Default Ability: !Time (all spells)
Can use: Knives, Rods, Staves
Affects:
Strength: -5
Stamina: -3
Magic: +24
Total ABP to master: 530

Abilities: !Time 1 - !Time 6, Equip Rods

Upsides: Buff Magic is extremely strong in this game. They have most of it; Regen, Haste, Quick, Float. Not to mention their impressive as hell debuffs; Slow, Silence, Old, Stop. Don't forget gravity based attacks (pretty decent on non heavy enemies) and Meteor and Comet. These guys can do it all. !Time is a great second spell school for other casters, all other classes appreciate haste without an accessory and equip rods, while expensive, can still be useful if you master it early enough. Also Thieves LOVE RETURN. Time mages themselves love other spell schools and defensive equips, and stuff like !gaia, !animals, !call, that sort of thing.

Downsides: Direct damage is random. Same boring and bad cloth equips.

Fun Ideas: More of a glitch but Return does not reset Odin's timer in the NA and JPN versions of FFVa! Return is awesome for stealing so go crazy after you get that thief's knife.

Beastmaster

Default Ability: !Catch/!Free
Can use: Knives, Whips
Affects:
Strength: +13
Stamina: +8
Magic: -3
Total ABP to master: 460

Abilities: !Calm, !Control, Equip Whips, !Catch

Upsides: Beastmasters are hard to place. On one hand, they have bad equipment and mediocre stats and seem to lack for ways of dealing direct damage. On the other hand, !Control is probably the second best ability in the game behind !Mix. !Control allows you to completely control one monsters actions and it works on just about every single non boss creature in the game. If you have a blue mage you have just made the game extremely easy, but don't overlook its other uses. You can keep a monster from attacking you for at least one turn, and possibly many more if it has a magical attack that it can damage itself or its allies with. You can also use some monsters for healing or buffing. !Catch is also extremely powerful in the right hands. This often mysterious ability can produce some amazing effects like 25% health drain on any monster, Mega Flare, Curaga, Reflect, or other spells. They appreciate any more reliable method of damage dealing or defense, and minus three magic isn't that bad if you have a spell school to give them.

Downsides: They never really impress with the damage. Sure you can get a 9999 hit out of them, but only one. Controlling your way through fights can take a long, long time.

Fun Stuff: Fire Lash, their legendary weapon, blows. Stingrays however can sometimes drop the Dragon's Whisker, a really decent whip that does double damage on dragons. Get one if you can!

Ninja

Default Ability: !Throw
Innate Abilities: First Strike, Dual-Wield
Can use: Knives, Ninja Weapons
Affects:
Strength: +15
Agility: +14
Stamina: +3
Magic: -10
Total ABP to master: 690

Abilities: !Smoke, !Image, First Strike, !Throw, Dual Wield

Upsides: Dual Wield is a fantastic ability that every physical class wouldn't mind having.
!Throw is a great source of damage and is an underrated ability when used with the scrolls on Mage classes. One of the best possible partners and almost good enough for the top tier.

Downsides: Knifes aren't the best weapon and there aren't many good ones in world two without having a thief around. Tend to get blown up from time to time in the front row.

Fun Ideas: You can duplicate items in the original SFC version of FF V! Don't do it!

Bard

Default Ability: !Sing
Can use: Knives, Harps
Affects:
Strength: -8
Agility: +8
Stamina: -9
Magic: +11
Total ABP to master: 175

Abilities: !Hide, Eq Harps, !Sing

Upsides: Bards are normally considered one of the worst classes in the game, so why are they so high in a Fiesta challenge? Buffs. If Chemists are the Batman of FFV, Bards are the Robin. If you can survive Exdeath long enough to get going you can destroy Neo Exdeath. Bards need help from any good ability, and can only really pass on !Sing and !Hide in return. Bards also dominate the first half of world three with the Apollo's Harp and Requiem song. CAN KILL OMEGA.

Downsides: Maybe the worst stat block in the game. Equip Harps is fairly bad. Terrible equipment. Can't even use equip shields.

Fun Ideas: !Hide can actually be a great ability. Make a Zombie with a weapon that casts an offensive spell on hit (Thor's Hammer is ideal) and give the Zombie a reflect ring. !Hide the rest of the party.

Ranger

Default Ability: !Aim
Can use: Knives, Bows
Affects:
Strength: +16
Agility: +12
Stamina: +1
Magic: -5
Total ABP to master: 600

Abilities: !Aim, !Animals, Equip Bows, !Rapid Fire

Upsides: !Rapid Fire, is an insanely potent ability. Four Attacks with one weapon at half power. This is normally paired with Spell Blade in a regular playthrough for your standard kill em all Freelancer, but on any offensive character this is a real treat. Rangers love a better weapon than bows so Equip Swords, Katanas, Hell maybe Lance is a good idea.
!Animals is also a great early ability for casters.

Downsides: Bows are inaccurate in this game. Animals fall off in usefulness pretty quickly.

Fun Idea: They might fall off quickly, but if you level enough and have a good Magic Power then animals can be pretty disgusting.

The game picks a random number between the character's level and 0, and
produces an attack according to a chart. At level 60 and beyond you can summon a unicorn who heals your party to full, no questions asked!

Dancer

Default Ability: !Dance
Can use: Knives
Affects:
Strength: +5
Agility: +5
Stamina: +10
Magic: -5
Total ABP to master: 400

Abilities: !Flirt, !Dance, Equip Ribbons

Upsides: Dancers are a lot like Bards, bad stats, look useless, not used much in standard playthroughs. However underneath the soft exterior lies the heart of a true glass cannon. Sword Dance can be absolutely brutal with a high powered weapon like the Chicken Knife, or even worse on a dual wielding character or someone with the right sword. Equip Ribbons is normally outshined by the freelancer, but in this challenge it is a great asset for Exdeath. Dancers can use some defensive help, and another more reliable outlet of offense like !Throw is a good idea. Magic can work with only a minus five, but isn't ideal.

Downsides: Terrible Stats, Dies all the time without defensive help.

Fun Ideas: Flirt isn't that bad really. Works on most non heavy enemies as a sort of stun lock. Rainbow Dress and the other dancer equipment doubles the chance of it working.

Adequate (By Crystal)

Monk

Default Ability: !Kick
Innate Abilities: Barehanded, Counter
Can use: None
Affects:
Strength: +26
Stamina: +26
Magic: -23
Total ABP to master: 700

Abilities: !Focus, Barehanded, !Chakra, Counter, HP + 10%, HP + 20%, HP + 30%

Upsides: Low cost high hit point front line glass cannons of doom. Barehanded is almost enough to get one through the first world by itself and is an amazing early ability for mages, giving them the unequipped proportional strength of a spider. !Focus ignores the running away effect of the chicken knife but is otherwise too time consuming to consider using much. Monks are basically the only offensive class that doesn't want two handed or dual wield, but I think rapid fire will work out well for them. Monks are the worst casters in the game. Chemists and Dancers and Bards might want the HP +30% though for surviving Ex Death. Their damage is affected greatly by their level, so if you're having trouble just level up!

Downsides: While being amazing in the first world, Monks fall off a cliff in the second part of the game. Kaiser Knuckles can bring them back to a degree of awesomeness at the high price of a better accessory.

Fun Stuff: While you can't do it in the fiesta challenge, Guard+Counter can lockdown a bunch of enemies in the regular game, including any boss that relies on physicals. !Kick is the only command that you can't pass to any other class!

Thief

Default Ability: !Steal
Innate Abilities: Find Passages, Sprint, Vigilance
Can use: Knives, Special
Affects:
Strength: +1
Agility: +16
Stamina: +2
Magic: -6
Total ABP to master: 635

Abilities: Find Passages, !Flee, Sprint, !Steal, Vigilance, !Mug, Artful Dodger.

Upsides: Who cares if they aren't the best offensive class, Thieves can steal the entire game. This is extremely powerful, allowing for equipment not normally seen until much later, if at all, to be had, sometimes in unlimited quantities. Almost certainly the best class for gil production in this game. Thieves do well in almost every party. Some classes really appreciate the early equipment, Samurais have a great source of Katanas, you can get awesome Ninja knives very early, free flame rings for all, much easier reflect rings, all the Elixers you can drink. As mentioned earlier a Thief loves Time mages for the return spell. Real men also appreciate Dash, especially when combined with the Dash button found in the ports for light speed warping. Thieves are probably the second best Chicken Knife user and appreciate anything that can add to their offense or defense.

Downside: No good attacking stat. Hard early going with the Thief, and not terribly useful in the third world without some serious help from other jobs. Still, who cares, Stealing stuff is awesome!

Fun Ideas: Instead of throwing gold needles at Objects D'art on your Thief's turn, try stealing. Double Lances are uncommonly good at that early part of the game, especially if you have a Ninja around. You can also get unlimited Flame Rings from the Monster chests in the Barrier Tower if you have return.

Red Mage

Default Ability: !Red (all spells)
Can use: Knives, Light Swords, Rods, Staves
Affects:
Strength: +8
Stamina: -6
Magic: +8
Total ABP to master: 1159

Abilities: !Red 1 - !Red 3, Dualcast

Upsides: If you have !Black, !White, then congratulations, you just won the game. Without it, you have one of the best first world classes who really can't do anything great except break rods in world two and three. Offensive Equips can help a lot.

Downsides: Can't do enough damage, isn't good enough for the front row without serious help. Takes forever to master!

Fun Ideas: Nothing really.

Geomancer

Default Ability: !Gaia
Innate Abilities: Find Pits, Light Step
Can use: Knives, Bells
Affects:
Strength: +4
Stamina: +4
Magic: +24
Total ABP to master: 460

Abilities: !Gaia, Find Pits, Light Step

Upsides: Geomancers are hard to wrap your head around. Decent if unimpressive physical stats, great magical stat, weird, seemingly random ability, terrible (for the most part) weapon, very little practical use. Believe it or not though, this was the second hardest class to place as it is actually really great if you know what to do with it! Depending on what terrain you are in you can do serious elemental damage or even 100% reliable instant death on all non heavy monsters. Geomancers also love getting spell casting schools and are ideally placed being a fire crystal job. They can also use a shield or heavier armor to great effect if you have a knight, and have just barely enough stamina to do ok in the front row for most of the game if you have a decent weapon equip to give them. Gaia Gear can boost Earth Damage (found in about a third of all terrains) and Air Knife can boost Wind Damage (found in almost every terrain) and as mentioned before, spell casting classes LOVE geomancy for random battles.

Downside: The reason they are here is that without the right party Geomancers can seem like a drag. They offer very little to the physical classes besides an inconsistent source of multitarget damage. But with the right make up these guys can really shine. Bells (save for one shining example) are probably the second worst weapon in the game.

Fun Ideas: Geomancers rule against Neo Exdeath as the only spell you get in space is Wind Slash, a high damage MT Wind spell. You can win Rune Chimes off of Baldanders in the Ronka Ruins section of the Rift that is basically a better version of Magus Rod for Geomancers, boosting every type in the game save for Water. Geomancy is a lot like Animals in that access to better spells is random and governed by your level, so you can just keep leveling and get some truely impressive results in certain terrains.

Dragoon

Default Ability: !Jump
Can use: Daggers, Spears, Shields
Affects:
Strength: +18
Stamina: +15
Magic: -12
Total ABP to master: 600

Abilities: !Jump, !Lance, Equip Lances

Upsides: Heavy Armor and the ability to kill Dragons. That's it.

Downsides: Takes forever to master, lances suck, offers pretty much nothing other classes would want.

Fun Ideas: The upper back part of Neo Exdeath is considered a Dragon. Bahamut, despite being god king of dragons, isn't.

Berserker

Default Ability: None
Can use: Daggers, Axes, Hammers, Shields
Affects:
Strength: +21
Agility: -9
Stamina: +25
Magic: -23
Total ABP to master: 500

Abilities: Berserk, Equip Axes

Upside: Insane Damage potential and high survivability. Axes ignore the effects of Old. Don't have to mash A. Loves Equip Swords, Katanas, Dual Wield, Two Handed, HP +30%, Barehanded, Counter and nothing else.

Downside: Cannot control. Ruins Beastmasters lunch. Can't equip any action ability, must rely on other things. Can be a liability in certain counter happy boss fights.

Fun Ideas: There is a ridculous number of awesome Axes and Hammers that appear in the late game like the Gaia and Thor's Hammer (Thor's are infinite!) Titan Axe, Earthshaker though you need to go into the Advance dungeon to get this one.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
A blue mage I'm one of the lucky ones (for now).

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

I have to admit, the thieves served me pretty well so far. I think the best part was being able to get the Elfin Mantle easily, as well as stealing Mythril Knives from Wyverns to use against Garula. I've had to utilize rows quite a bit to avoid too much grinding (though just stealing has gotten me to a somewhat high level). I had two thieves in the back row against Marissa and three in the back row against Garula. The guys in the back row never did anything but throw potions, so a lot of items flying around.

One thing, did other people not get the notice for the Water job? Under the players list I can see it (Blue mage!), but I was wondering if other people had to check like that, or if the message took a while to get.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

quote:

@Gyoru can now use the Wind Job 'Thief'. No passage will remain hidden!

Time to power up that Chicken Knife. At least I got Red Mage for my Water job.

Raiad posted:

One thing, did other people not get the notice for the Water job? Under the players list I can see it (Blue mage!), but I was wondering if other people had to check like that, or if the message took a while to get.
I didn't get a Water reply from the twitter bot yet, but the site updated. Might be getting overloaded.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Raiad posted:

Gilgabot tweeted that I could use a thief but it wasn't sent to me directly.
Anyone have suggestions for siren? just grinding at the moment after having my rear end handed back to me a dozen times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Got monk! Since I'm Berserker Risking, this might actually be kind of useful. Let's hope I get some sort of magic though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Gilgabot posted:

@WT_Fits can now use the Water Job 'Summoner'. Side quest time!

Looks like I have a date with a lady back in Walse Castle. :smug:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

And now I have Beastmaster, the only class I never used in FFV. Well this will be entertaining at the very least. Except I have no idea how the class really works so I have to do some reading. :shobon:

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Xillah posted:

Gilgabot tweeted that I could use a thief but it wasn't sent to me directly.
Anyone have suggestions for siren? just grinding at the moment after having my rear end handed back to me a dozen times.

Did you kill a bunch of skeletons and get 3 daggers? That's what I did, and it didn't take that long. Also, you could stick around the beds stealing everything. It gets easier if you get higher level.

Edit: Keep your "healers" in the back row throwing whatever potions you can steal. Also, hit her with potions. If things are too tough, when she turns undead put all of your thieves in the back row, since you'll be using potions anyways. Keeping a thief or two... or three in the back row will help until you get other jobs.

Raiad fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 16, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

gently caress Byblos. gently caress him so loving much.

Stuck tackling him with Monks and Berserkers, since my third class is Bard and thus not available yet. gently caress his Wind Slash, gently caress his Protect spell, and gently caress his Drain counter that outpaces my fists.

Guess I'm going to have to grind some more. poo poo.

Progress:

Rolled Monks for my Wind class. Everything was easy as poo poo up to Garula. Had to level to 10 to have enough power to kill him, and even then only half my party lived.

Water Crystal was Berserker. Meh, at least it's out of the way. Go to Karnak, end up having my Monks turtle with Chakra while countering LF's attacks. Counter attacks don't trigger LF's form changes, so he goes down easily. Loot most of Karnak castle, missing Esuna and the other chest up front, escaped with 30 seconds left.

Fire Crystal gives me Bard, so I have to wait until I get to that. Go to the library, have a nice, challenging battle with Ifrit and win. Then I get wiped with L5 Doom. Welp. Then I grind to L16, do it again, and get to Byblos, where his insane evasion and Protect causes my damage output to suck rear end. Then he does stuff like cast Discord, which ruins a character's damage output, and Wind Slash, which deals close to half max HP damage to everyone. And then after losing enough HP he starts countering attacks with Drain, often healing more than what's dealt to him.

And that's where I'm stuck. Guess I'll grind later and hope my Monks can punch him better with a few more levels.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 16, 2012

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Jesus Christ, you guys are fast. This challenge is going to take me months. Speaking of which, what's the time limit on this thing?
Also, I got Blue Mage. Could be worse I guess.

Asterid
Feb 20, 2012

Gilgabot posted:

@dogtiers has registered for # FFV4JF2012 and got the Wind Job 'White Mage'. Robes and staves all day long.
I've never played FFV, so this is gonna be fun way to start.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

Jesus Christ, you guys are fast. This challenge is going to take me months. Speaking of which, what's the time limit on this thing?
Also, I got Blue Mage. Could be worse I guess.

You have until the end of August.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

Fire Crystal gives me Bard, so I have to wait until I get to that. Go to the library, have a nice, challenging battle with Ifrit and win. Then I get wiped with L5 Doom.

The exact same thing just happened to me. I'm debating going with 3 Mystic Knights/1 Monk instead of the opposite (I rolled Ranger on the Fire Crystal).

I'm sort of annoyed that I missed the main gauche in the castle, but at least I have two Elf Capes already.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I've never finished FFV and I got Blue Mage. This should be fun.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Finally got my Berserker. All things considered, I could use a meat shield now that I got Aera though, so load him up with the Main Gauche and Elfin Cloak that I just got and have him never die (to physical attacks).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

But I wanted to have to try and overcome challenges by exerting effort. :negative:

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009
Starting with Black mage and just now cooked me some lobster. Off to a good start, and at a good point to stop for now and continue after I've slept some. Seems fun, and i'm glad I signed up for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm starting to feel bad for never getting out of that cave at the beginning of FFV the three or so times I tried to play it.