Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Tab stacking is a pretty old feature at this point and you still can't drag and drop tabs between windows without them getting stacked on some tab in the receiving window.

Holy crap, they've actually improved tab drag and drop between windows in 12!

Wheany posted:

Gifs often skip frames and become corrupted, or freeze until the gif loops and then it might fix itself.

This, on the other hand, seems to have gotten worse. Now it often just stops animating completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

AbstractNapper posted:

The devs were aware of crashes and freeze issues reported in the blog comments for almost each and every one of the RC builds and still chose to release this.

You expect them to cancel their vacation packages and flights so you can have a better browser?

As if! :allears:

Reith
Jul 23, 2007
Man am I ever glad I finally decided to jump ship back to Firefox before Opera 12 went final.

It's really a shame; Opera has a lot of potential, but there are just too many hiccups and other little quirks that never seem to get fixed properly.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Reith posted:

Man am I ever glad I finally decided to jump ship back to Firefox before Opera 12 went final.

It's really a shame; Opera has a lot of potential, but there are just too many hiccups and other little quirks that never seem to get fixed properly.

no other browser could integrate my email so cleanly. i'll live with the quirks.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
So I'm running Opera 12 x64 on both my desktop and laptop. My desktop is running Windows 7 and I am having little to know issues with it. It's bombed out a couple of times when closing the browser, but whatever. My laptop, however, is running the Windows 8 release preview and they do not play nice at all. When I was on Opera 11.64 everything was working perfectly. I've installed 12.00 (clean install too boot) and all has gone to hell. The browser locks up a lot and even goes as far as to lock the entire machine. Is anyone having better luck with the Win 8 Preview?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Reith posted:

feld posted:

no other browser could integrate my email so cleanly. i'll live with the quirks.

Last I checked, no other browser allows me to move the god damned tab bar to the bottom of the browser window (or use mouse gestures) without installing some half-assed extension(s). I'd love to switch to Chrome, but I'm not going to until they allow me to at least move the bloody tab bar.

It astounds me that tabs at the top are normal. The windows task bar is at the bottom by default. It seems more logical to me to have the window tabs bar just above the Windows task bar. Maybe I'm a raving lunatic for thinking this? :iiam:

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012

Xachariah posted:

It astounds me that tabs at the top are normal. The windows task bar is at the bottom by default. It seems more logical to me to have the window tabs bar just above the Windows task bar. Maybe I'm a raving lunatic for thinking this? :iiam:

I just moved the Windows task bar to the top. Two birds, one stone.

Seriously though, it does make sense to have all your mission critical stuff that you have to click on in one general area.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Seems to be that all other browsers either:
1) no unread tab indicator (seriously, what the gently caress, chrome and safari)
2) when you close an active tab, it doesn't go back to the last active tab
3) no hover preview
4) no way to change the shortcuts (gently caress you, ctrl shift t)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There are so many features - from tab-stacking behavior and accessiblitiy, UI flexibility, the email/rss client, mouse gestures, ability to edit cookies on the fly, opera dragonfly, opera:config, consistent zoom behavior + fit-to-width, display modes like high contrast stuff to the amazing 'closed tab with histories' mechanic - that no other browser seems to get right and i'm just so used to/depend on in my daily browsing that i'll stick to it.

It's a bit unfortunate that all this comfort comes with more or less annoying hiccups, but i simply have chrome, FF and IE ready as backup browsers, so it's easily bearable. :)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Not to forget the Fast Forward feature, allowing you to skip to the next page in an article/forum with a simple press of a button.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Startacus posted:

Is anyone having better luck with the Win 8 Preview?

Yes. I've been using it with just about all of the Desktop Team builds - first the Consumer Preview, then with the Release Preview when that came out - and the only thing that's been crashy has been OPP.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

There are so many features - from tab-stacking behavior and accessiblitiy, UI flexibility, the email/rss client, mouse gestures, ability to edit cookies on the fly, opera dragonfly, opera:config, consistent zoom behavior + fit-to-width, display modes like high contrast stuff to the amazing 'closed tab with histories' mechanic - that no other browser seems to get right and i'm just so used to/depend on in my daily browsing that i'll stick to it.

It's a bit unfortunate that all this comfort comes with more or less annoying hiccups, but i simply have chrome, FF and IE ready as backup browsers, so it's easily bearable. :)

Exactly. There are innumerable little things that Opera does right and they'd have to screw it up a fair bit more before I gave up on it entirely. Some things, like the consistently good performance with many tabs open, simply can't be added to other browsers.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

flappin fish posted:

Yes. I've been using it with just about all of the Desktop Team builds - first the Consumer Preview, then with the Release Preview when that came out - and the only thing that's been crashy has been OPP.

Okay, I guess I'll try my luck with a reinstall of it.

EDIT: Tried a reinstall and I'm still having the same issue. I feel like it has something to do with flash since it happens most often when I'm listening to something on Soundcloud.

Startacus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 18, 2012

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Riso posted:

Not to forget the Fast Forward feature, allowing you to skip to the next page in an article/forum with a simple press of a button.

This is one of those features I hadn't realised was an Opera thing. I was so used to reading pages on SA and other forums with <space> to page down and <space> to jump to the next page when it reached the bottom, I thought it was just how things worked for those sites.

It wasn't until I switched jobs to one with a restrictive group policy that won't let me install Opera that I realised it wasn't standard behavior. Other browsers still use <space> to page down but it stops working for no reason whatsoever once they reach the bottom of the page.

edit: On a negative point my personal experience of v12 has been terrible so far, mostly based on its handling of plugins. Seems there is a new plugin wrapper designed to prevent Flash killing the whole browser when it crashes. I've never had that happen before, but now watching a Youtube video in a new window fullscreened on my second monitor seems to crash the browser completely about 50% of the time.

If it doesn't crash and I close the window, the audio from the video keeps on playing until I open Task Manager and kill opera_plugin_wrapper.exe, at which point opera.exe dies as well. Nothing worse than a solution to a problem I didn't know existed that causes brand-new problems I never experienced before.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 20, 2012

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Weird. Opera on Linux has had the plugin wrapper for... a long time. Because Flash on Linux has always been a buggy piece of poo poo. Kind hosed up they pushed out a release that's blatantly broken like that. (Again.)

Definitely waiting for 12.01 or .02 or .23 myself.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
So Opera 12 seems to lock my entire system when doing flash things, but not all the time?? It's kind of weird since it doesn't happen every time. Makes me think that there is a memory leak somewhere but it locks the entire system and I need to reboot.

I'm running Windows 8 Release Preview with Opera 12 x64. Anyone else having issues?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
11.x had a crash reporter, and it made me feel better when Opera locked up 5 times a day that maybe my crash reports were doing some good but 12.0 either does not have a crach reporter, or it too is crashing.

Now how do I report the 5 times a day crashes?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Try the bug report wizard, even if it's not the best solution.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I've never had that happen before, but now watching a Youtube video in a new window fullscreened on my second monitor seems to crash the browser completely about 50% of the time.

It doesn't quite work out as well in terms of h.264 not being part of Opera's HTML5 implementation, but you can opt in to HTML5 on YouTube, which should mitigate some of the problems with Flash crashing.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
My crashes are definitely not just related to flash. I just had a crash completely lock up the system when the browser booted up and opened the speed dial. This is incredibly annoying.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I have it crash sometimes while it's just sitting minimized in the background and I'm doing things in other programs.

There's a new build out today but the changelog is pretty unimpressive I think.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/06/20/new-snapshot-12-01

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
loving piece of poo poo. I was going to skip the update, and it decided to do it for me automatically while I was working on something, and also reset half my settings

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

jwoven posted:

loving piece of poo poo. I was going to skip the update, and it decided to do it for me automatically while I was working on something, and also reset half my settings

And trying to roll back crews the pooch. It keep hanging and never quitting even with a force quit.

gently caress, fuckity fick gently caress gently caress, and it killed my mailboxes.

Opera, when you are running at 2% market share, betas should not be released as regular updates, let alone alpha quality releases.

Please automate the setting backup so when you release functionless versions we can quicly roll back and get back to work.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I managed to roll back to 11.64. Much more sta le and only lost some functionality.

One thing that is strange is that all of the sudden CMD + ~ no longer cycles through windows which I though was enforced by OS X but apprently Opera is blocking.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It fixed itself after I mashed on a bunch of keys for a while. I are a technician.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 21, 2012

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
I'm surprised at all these issues people are having. Opera 12 has been pretty stable for me, 1 crash in total. Only problem i have are the stuck .gifs and the Progress bar getting stuck in the middle of the screen when scrolling down sometimes.
Loving how much faster the page loading seems compared to 11.6 though.

I'm not using HWA or WebGL though. Are there any real benefits to using either? I tried HWA but i didn't like how it changed the font rendering.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

This is one of those features I hadn't realised was an Opera thing. I was so used to reading pages on SA and other forums with <space> to page down and <space> to jump to the next page when it reached the bottom, I thought it was just how things worked for those sites.

:psyboom: loving hell, I did not know this before and I've been using Opera since 8.x

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LooKMaN posted:

I'm not using HWA or WebGL though. Are there any real benefits to using either? I tried HWA but i didn't like how it changed the font rendering.

I've been using HWA without any problems too, but from what I hear it's dependant on your graphics card. For reference I'm using a Radeon HD 6800 series on the latest drivers with the x64 12 previews and final release, which has been stable in Opera (although the current drivers comically enough cause blue screens if Windows Update requires a restart and you ask it to wait a bit).

I've activated WebGL and will see if there's any change in stability.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I'm getting Opera freezing or hanging allot now :/ Usually happens when it starts up(maybe something to do with lastpass plugin). Other times it's when I try to save a file, or close a full-screen video.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Yeah I'm getting the same thing. I pretty much just don't watch any flash video I want to full screen in Opera anymore. :(

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just noticed that I was running out of space on my SSD. I looked around a bit, and found out that C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Opera\Opera\cache\sesn\ contained almost 800,000 files, for a total of 60 GB.

I guess that Opera only empties its disk cache (I have it set to 100 MB) on a clean exit, and that it only ever deletes the files from the current session. I normally have Opera running constantly, and just minimize if when I don't use it.
Ever since I added an IMAP mail account I've had occasional crashes when closing the mail view.

Seems like I've run into a winning combination of building up a large cache and never emptying it properly. Thanks, Opera.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

NFX posted:

I guess that Opera only empties its disk cache (I have it set to 100 MB) on a clean exit, and that it only ever deletes the files from the current session. I normally have Opera running constantly, and just minimize if when I don't use it.
Ever since I added an IMAP mail account I've had occasional crashes when closing the mail view.

In the years I've been using Opera I've found no rhyme or reason to what it will and won't empty from the cache. Even a clean install of a non-crashy build will result in a tremendous cache folder over time. All you can do is delete your cache folder manually every few months and suggest Opera get on an episode of Hoarders.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Raaah, is there a way to get the Mac OS X dictionary hotkey to work in Opera 12? Safari can suck a butt.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I'm so confused.

Excepting that last month's sprint-to-release, over the last year or so Opera Next has mostly been ignored completely while 11.6x kept getting patches and fixes and feature additions.

Now that Opera 12 has been released, all the patches and fixes are being given to Opera Next.

What the gently caress.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Cuntpunch posted:

I'm so confused.

Excepting that last month's sprint-to-release, over the last year or so Opera Next has mostly been ignored completely while 11.6x kept getting patches and fixes and feature additions.

Now that Opera 12 has been released, all the patches and fixes are being given to Opera Next.
It was because the Opera-Next 12.00 was still in the works, that it seemed that the 11.6x kept getting patches and fixes. However, all those patch versions went through a short period of test builds (not in the opera-next branch in order to keep things separate with the 12.00, though).

It is normal now that the 12.00 is out, that the patches will go through testing in the opera-next branch first before being released for the main branch.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I've used opera for as long as I can remember. This latest update just freezes and crashes far too much to actually use. Are there any guides to configure chrome/firefox/ie to act like opera?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
That depends on what features of Opera you want to emulate in other browsers. Firefox has a speed dial feature now, and you can emulate click-to-load plugins using the FlashBlocker extension. (Firefox 14 beta has something like this built-in but it's not nearly as well-executed.) There's piles of extensions that let you fiddle with tabs and sessions, too. What is it you're looking for?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just as a minor update, activating WebGL didn't seem to have any effect on stability (or performance for that matter), so if you're desperate to show off how much more modern you can make your browser, I don't see any danger in activating it.

In crash news, only one "crash" over the past few weeks, which was the out-of-process-plugin, meaning I could kill that without losing my other tabs, and it happened more because I had completely pushed my RAM over its limit than Opera's fault. Again, though, what works for me may well be broken as poo poo for others, but it's not all bad reports!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

FSMC posted:

I've used opera for as long as I can remember. This latest update just freezes and crashes far too much to actually use. Are there any guides to configure chrome/firefox/ie to act like opera?

Unfortunate that I share this. I rolled back from 12, and things are better, but

Nothing is like Opera from what I have found.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 1, 2012

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've been using Opera for the last year, but starting a few weeks ago, I've moved to Firefox due to Pentadactyl.

The Opera plugin I've seen for vim-like keybinding comes nowhere close to it in terms of usability.

The important features I'm looking for are:

• Ex commands for nearly all functionality (:q[uit], :o[pen] https://www.foo.com :t[abopen] https://www.foo.com …) with support for quick searches
  • Vim-like key bindings (h, j, gg, ZZ, G, etc.)
  • Keyboard navigation for links
  • Modes with a status line
  • The ability to :map new commands myself
  • Doesn't poo poo up the page appearance

The one I've tried for Opera invariably failed on the first, fourth and fifth points, by order of importance.

Is there any way to get that stuff working, either by customizing or even by writing plugins yourself, or is Opera just not letting you dig that deep inside of it?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Hey, let's see what's new in today's build. I guess we're doing 12.50 now.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/07/06/marlin-1250-swim

quote:

CORE-40213 Delete private data does not always clean up cache

:monocle:
Did they actually fix that after all these years? We'll see!

There's also a Labs build with SPDY support.
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/opera-spdy-build/

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
That is one hell of a lot of CORE fixes.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I've had one crash so far, where I really didn't in the previous build, but it's stable enough and my cache folder seems to stay a pretty reasonable size.

The other more-recent change I've enjoyed is how restarting with tons of tabs open behaves more sanely and tries to queue the connections, rather than just hammering all of the connections from all of them at once so half of them time out. I think that was actually a change some months ago, but I didn't get to really enjoy it since these builds only started being usable recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I've mostly switched to Firefox recently, but I spent a little time testing this latest build today.

It was very, very crashy at first, but then I went and wiped out my local and roaming profile folders (after backing up the important bits, yes), and I haven't had a crash since. I suspect that this build may be more sensitive to old and funky settings and cache files, or something like that.

Flash is still pretty broken, though. I've pretty much given up on it at this point.