Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Yes, get the SSD.

Okay. I'll likely go with another M4, because the price and reliability is there. I wonder if OS X on a HDD vs SSD will be the same night/day difference it is with Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

krooj posted:

Question - What's OS X like for day to day use on an SSD vs. without? My refurb comes on the 19th, and it has a 750GB 7.2k drive installed. I plan on going to 8GB of ram right away, but should I also do the SSD?

It's night and day in my experience. Try to get at least 240gb so it's not a hassle.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I'm buying a MacBook because I already have the iPhone and the ipad2 so I figure it's too late for my soul now. I don't want a new one (I already feel guilty spending so much when I don't do picture or video editing) but would you guys recommend a refurb from the apple site over picking up a used/refurbed one from eBay or kijiji?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Depends on what the prices are like, but Apple's refurbs are like brand new items.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I went in and played with the rMBP tonight. Yeah. Pretty great.

I have a feeling that for me, the new display is going to be an experience similar to the one I had with the new iPad - that the screen wasn't OH MY GOD amazing from the get-go; but after using it for a time, regular iPads felt kinda gross.

I'm a little concerned, going from an 11-inch Air up to the 15-inch rMBP, especially after swearing I'd never get another gently caress-all huge laptop. The fact that it weighs well under 5 pounds assuages things a bit, however, and I really do need something more powerful than the Air. I think I'll get used to the added weight since it's the weight, and not the size, that really annoys me about big laptops.

Can't wait until the next shipment arrives! Hopefully tomorrow.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Depends on what the prices are like, but Apple's refurbs are like brand new items.

I figured that, with the savings only being a couple hundred bucks, that must be the best bet for quality, I was just wondering if there was a well-known source for used/refurbs that seasoned Mac vets know about other than the apple site.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Used/refurbs that aren't from the Apple site don't have the year warranty. Unless you get some killer deal on Craigslist and can personally inspect it yourself before buying I'd stick with the Apple site.

Also I might have really bad luck but I've had two refurbs from Apple that were DOA. The return process is really simple though and they'll take care of it. Makes me question whether they really go through a QA process with all of them.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Dunno if I should post this here or in the apple dev thread, but...

If I'm planning on getting into ios programming but will otherwise just be browsing the web, playing some basic games (GOG stuff through WINE probably) etc., is it worth getting the i7 macbook air or just sticking with the i5?
By "getting into", I mean that I've never done ios stuff before and won't be making anything bigger than babby's first iphone app for the forseable future. No big compilations or anything like that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dual core i7s are rip offs. Avoid them.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be ordering from the apple site. Now I get to decid things like air or pro and screen size and memory, which is the fun part. :)

Edit: sorry to be the annoying rear end in a top hat who can't make up his mind without getting input from everyone but these two are about in my price range: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC965LL/A and http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FD313LL/A

One's an air and one's a pro. I was planning on getting an air because I assumed they were more for civilian use, and I could always get an external DVD drive if I needed it. However, with the pro being the same price for what I always assumed was a superior machine, is there any reason I shouldnt just get the pro?

Again sorry for being a dummy, it's just the guys at the apple store are intimidating and you guys aren't.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 18, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DannoMack posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be ordering from the apple site. Now I get to decid things like air or pro and screen size and memory, which is the fun part. :)

Edit: sorry to be the annoying rear end in a top hat who can't make up his mind without getting input from everyone but these two are about in my price range: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC965LL/A and http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FD313LL/A

One's an air and one's a pro. I was planning on getting an air because I assumed they were more for civilian use, and I could always get an external DVD drive if I needed it. However, with the pro being the same price for what I always assumed was a superior machine, is there any reason I shouldnt just get the pro?

Again sorry for being a dummy, it's just the guys at the apple store are intimidating and you guys aren't.

Get the Air. The Pro isn't going to give you more than a better CPU - not to be completely dismissed, but.

The Air is much lighter, has a much better display (1440x900 vs 1280x800), Thunderbolt (iffy), etc. Plus that 128GB SSD. That alone will make it seem *much* faster than the Pro. I really recommend you get the Air.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

I went in and played with the rMBP tonight. Yeah. Pretty great.

I have a feeling that for me, the new display is going to be an experience similar to the one I had with the new iPad - that the screen wasn't OH MY GOD amazing from the get-go; but after using it for a time, regular iPads felt kinda gross.

I'm a little concerned, going from an 11-inch Air up to the 15-inch rMBP, especially after swearing I'd never get another gently caress-all huge laptop. The fact that it weighs well under 5 pounds assuages things a bit, however, and I really do need something more powerful than the Air. I think I'll get used to the added weight since it's the weight, and not the size, that really annoys me about big laptops.

Can't wait until the next shipment arrives! Hopefully tomorrow.

Must just be me, but when I played with one at the Eaton's Centre yesterday, I came away with the feeling that OS X felt "off" when scaling kicked in. It felt like those retarded factory preloads from PC manufacturers where the font DPI is altered from the norm. When I set the display to it's maximum allowable rez, things were just too small. IMHO, an oddball machine, and I don't get it. Much rather they'd released a "regular" MBP sans optical drive, but with the standard 2.5" SATA form-factorb @7mm and upgradable RAM.

Also, what's up with MagSafe 2? The connector seems to have reverted back to a non-reinforced style that made the original so famously bad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DannoMack posted:

However, with the pro being the same price for what I always assumed was a superior machine, is there any reason I shouldnt just get the pro?

There's a comparison here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/faceoff-13-macbook-pro-vs-13-macbook-air/

The Pro has a faster base and turbo CPU speeds. But if you're looking for the fastest you can get, you'll have to step up to a 15" and get the quad-core.

You can flat-out store more on a Pro. You can put another hard drive in place of the optical drive, so you could have 2x1TB platter drives or you can even throw a 512GB SSD in there if you want. Another good thing about the Pro is you can add up to 16GB of RAM, and you can install the RAM/SSD later down the road - as they get even cheaper and when you need them.

The Pro also has more ports and the DVD drive, so one of those might make or break the Air for you.

quote:

Round 5: Display

This round is tougher. The Air is equipped with a much higher resolution 1440×900 pixel display, giving users more screen real estate. The LED backlighting is bright, and the screen is sharp.

The Pro comes with a noticeably lower resolution screen, with just 1280×800 pixels. But in its favor, the screen does have a significantly wider color gamut and dynamic range. For general applications, this won't matter much, but for color-critical work (like photography, graphics, and video) it will be highly advantageous.

Given that some users will weigh the importance of color accuracy over screen real estate differently, we're going to call this round a draw. But the difference is something to keep in mind when making your own choice.

Advantage: Draw

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

There's a comparison here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/faceoff-13-macbook-pro-vs-13-macbook-air/

The Pro has a faster base and turbo CPU speeds. But if you're looking for the fastest you can get, you'll have to step up to a 15" and get the quad-core.

You can flat-out store more on a Pro. You can put another hard drive in place of the optical drive, so you could have 2x1TB platter drives or you can even throw a 512GB SSD in there if you want. Another good thing about the Pro is you can add up to 16GB of RAM, and you can install the RAM/SSD later down the road - as they get even cheaper and when you need them.

The Pro also has more ports and the DVD drive, so one of those might make or break the Air for you.

It's worth pointing out that neither of those machines are the ones he's comparing, since he's working with refurb models.

krooj posted:

Must just be me, but when I played with one at the Eaton's Centre yesterday, I came away with the feeling that OS X felt "off" when scaling kicked in. It felt like those retarded factory preloads from PC manufacturers where the font DPI is altered from the norm. When I set the display to it's maximum allowable rez, things were just too small. IMHO, an oddball machine, and I don't get it. Much rather they'd released a "regular" MBP sans optical drive, but with the standard 2.5" SATA form-factorb @7mm and upgradable RAM.

Also, what's up with MagSafe 2? The connector seems to have reverted back to a non-reinforced style that made the original so famously bad.

I didn't really get that feeling at all. I don't think people are generally terribly used to seeing OS X at such absurdly small dimensions, honestly. Also, if the issue is with the machine at the maximum allowable resolution, why not keep it at defaults? Then it's like a normal MBP but with an outstandingly sharp display.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mediaphage posted:

It's worth pointing out that neither of those machines are the ones he's comparing, since he's working with refurb models.

Other than the Air now being available with 8GB there's no real difference. They both come with USB 3.0 and HD 4000 now, but that's the same for either device.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

I didn't really get that feeling at all. I don't think people are generally terribly used to seeing OS X at such absurdly small dimensions, honestly. Also, if the issue is with the machine at the maximum allowable resolution, why not keep it at defaults? Then it's like a normal MBP but with an outstandingly sharp display.

It's probably just me. I couldn't shake the feeling that fonts felt like they did in Windows when manufacturers started shipping LCDs with resolutions >=SXGA+. Those factory preloads would come with the font DPI set to 120 and large icons, the combination thereof made you feel like you were using a computer for "special" people.

For me, I think the most I could handle is native 1920x1200 or regular 1080p on a 15.4" display.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

krooj posted:

It's probably just me. I couldn't shake the feeling that fonts felt like they did in Windows when manufacturers started shipping LCDs with resolutions >=SXGA+. Those factory preloads would come with the font DPI set to 120 and large icons, the combination thereof made you feel like you were using a computer for "special" people.

For me, I think the most I could handle is native 1920x1200 or regular 1080p on a 15.4" display.

I don't think "native" 1200p is going to look all that different on the rMBP than on a regular LCD at those levels.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

krooj posted:

What I heard, and it boggles the mind, is that one of the reasons they made the MagSafe 2 port thinner is so people would would not mistake it for a USB port and physically prevent people from plugging USB devices into it. Also, it would prevent people from trying to put the Magsafe 2 head into the USB ports.

Must have been high on something as I also recall hearing this at an Apple Store.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 18, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is the current 13" Air or 2011 13" i5 Air faster CPU wise than a mid 2010 13" 2.4ghz C2D? I've got 8gb of ram and a SSD in this so the whole feels faster thing is moot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BlackMK4 posted:

Is the current 13" Air or 2011 13" i5 Air faster CPU wise than a mid 2010 13" 2.4ghz C2D? I've got 8gb of ram and a SSD in this so the whole feels faster thing is moot.

Yes, the C2D is two generations behind the 2011, three behind the 2012.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Depends on the task. The newer kit will be mostly better, otherwise competitive, and will completely annihilate on certain specialized tasks (like AES encryption).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally! My 13 inch Macbook Air has shipped from Amazon!

Desjardy
Aug 11, 2010

megalodong posted:

Dunno if I should post this here or in the apple dev thread, but...

If I'm planning on getting into ios programming but will otherwise just be browsing the web, playing some basic games (GOG stuff through WINE probably) etc., is it worth getting the i7 macbook air or just sticking with the i5?
By "getting into", I mean that I've never done ios stuff before and won't be making anything bigger than babby's first iphone app for the forseable future. No big compilations or anything like that.

For simple programs you won't need much. The real question is how much do you want to pay? In my case, I am rocking a C2D Macbook from 2009 and it still handles my projects in xCode fine. It might take me 20 seconds to recompile an entire application but that doesn't happen too often thanks to the way xCode handles compiling applications.

The biggest difference you would see is upgrading to an SSD. The reason my computer compiles in 20 seconds versus something like a minute is because I'm not using a platter drive.

Edit: Oh wait, you are looking at a Macbook Air. Just ignore that second part since it has an SSD standard.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Factory Factory posted:

Depends on the task. The newer kit will be mostly better, otherwise competitive, and will completely annihilate on certain specialized tasks (like AES encryption).

Hmm, I wonder if I can limp this bitch along until the retina 13" comes out...

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My 2009 13" MBP gets a geekbench score of 3280, and the new macbook airs (with i5) score about 6100. How seriously should I take that? Would I really see a giant jump in performance (at least in CPU tasks)?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

free menu bar program to set any non-scaled resolution your retina Macbook Pro supports, including the famed 1:1, 2880x1800 resolution.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/v7flz/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to_its/

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Binary Badger posted:

What I heard, and it boggles the mind, is that one of the reasons they made the MagSafe 2 port thinner is so people would would not mistake it for a USB port and physically prevent people from plugging USB devices into it. Also, it would prevent people from trying to put the Magsafe 2 head into the USB ports.

Any reason why we're back at having T-adapters? I like the L ones better for their looks and the original MagSafe T ones tended to break.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 18, 2012

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Astro7x posted:

Finally! My 13 inch Macbook Air has shipped from Amazon!
My Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter shipped today! Still late July for the laptop though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Desjardy posted:

The biggest difference you would see is upgrading to an SSD. The reason my computer compiles in 20 seconds versus something like a minute is because I'm not using a platter drive.

While launching Xcode and switching between the simulator and Xcode will be faster than on a platter drive, compiling is really CPU-bound and an SSD isn't really going to make it much faster.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My 2009 13" MBP gets a geekbench score of 3280, and the new macbook airs (with i5) score about 6100. How seriously should I take that? Would I really see a giant jump in performance (at least in CPU tasks)?

It's a pretty big jump.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The old 2009 ran on the Core 2 CPU line, so going to a much newer CPU makes a big difference.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Mu Zeta posted:

Dual core i7s are rip offs. Avoid them.

Even the new updated 2012 version?

I've pretty much decided to buy an Air now instead of the new Retina MBP to replace my C2D 08 model because of the price really and I'm looking to pretty much spec it out to the max (so RAM and then processor)

Why would you say it's not worth updating? It doesn't seem like too much more money for something that I'd imagine (not being too techy myself, I'm a designer ha) would be significantly better.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

a bad poster yall posted:

Why would you say it's not worth updating? It doesn't seem like too much more money for something that I'd imagine (not being too techy myself, I'm a designer ha) would be significantly better.

It's a hundred bucks for about an 8% increase in the 13" model, but a 25% increase in the 11" model (according the 2011 Airs)

On a $1200 machine I don't see $100 for 8% more improvement being a rip-off. But realize that you're not getting a quad-core out of the deal.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Hmm, that's a really great post, thank you. I'm now undecided but I'll probably just go for it.

I know I'm not getting a quad core but I'm not really sure that I'd need it. I'm coming from such an old machine that I think anything is going to be a huge improvement. I mainly use the Adobe suite (so PS, ILL and ID) and then something like Coda for dev work so while some files might get kinda large, I should be able to deal with it. I'm not doing any music or video work and I rarely edit photos anymore.

I would love to get the Retina MBP but I can't justify the £500 extra (when things like extras and applecare) are considered at this stage in my career (I'm just entering my second year of employment post college)

And yeah as you can probably tell I'm thinking about this way too much and should just relax and bite the bullet.

I'm also fortunate that I've got a friend who works for Apple so I can get a staff discount.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a bad poster yall posted:

I would love to get the Retina MBP but I can't justify the £500 extra (when things like extras and applecare) are considered at this stage in my career (I'm just entering my second year of employment post college)

And yeah as you can probably tell I'm thinking about this way too much and should just relax and bite the bullet.

The Air is nice and price-wise is pretty competitive with the higher end Ultrabooks when you look at the feature list.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

My 16 GB retina shipped from China today, so hopefully everyone else who ordered on Monday should be seeing theirs ship soon too!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Vidmaster posted:

My 16 GB retina shipped from China today, so hopefully everyone else who ordered on Monday should be seeing theirs ship soon too!

Mine arrived today. I got 16GB of RAM and Ethernet dongle. Its at home. I am at work! GahhhhhH!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ptier posted:

Mine arrived today. I got 16GB of RAM and Ethernet dongle. Its at home. I am at work! GahhhhhH!
Mine arrived today and I work at home :smugdog:

The Migration Assistant eta is three hours so I haven't actually done anything with it other than admire how pretty the text is

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Plorkyeran posted:

Mine arrived today and I work at home :smugdog:

The Migration Assistant eta is three hours so I haven't actually done anything with it other than admire how pretty the text is

Soon... soon.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Bobx66 posted:

So is it possible to put an order in at the physical apple store? I will be traveling to Oregon and I would like to line up a MBP Purchase out there but I'm worried about availability.

Sorry to empty quote myself here but I figured it got lost at the end of the last page. I don't know the store's policy on this and googling nets me nothing.

If I want to buy a macbook in the store on a specific date and I'm worried about supply constraints, are there any steps I can take to prevent disappointment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobx66 posted:

Sorry to empty quote myself here but I figured it got lost at the end of the last page. I don't know the store's policy on this and googling nets me nothing.

If I want to buy a macbook in the store on a specific date and I'm worried about supply constraints, are there any steps I can take to prevent disappointment?
Nope. The best you can do is to keep an eye on the website and buy for pick up in store when that specific store has it in stock. You could also use the Apple Retail iOS app, I believe.