Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Nope. The best you can do is to keep an eye on the website and buy for pick up in store when that specific store has it in stock. You could also use the Apple Retail iOS app, I believe.
If it's for a corporate/business purchase, you can usually call the store and speak to their business sales rep. I've heard they're way more flexible when it comes to holding/reserving specific stock, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Vidmaster posted:

My 16 GB retina shipped from China today, so hopefully everyone else who ordered on Monday should be seeing theirs ship soon too!

I ordered mine Monday and it still says it won't ship for 2-3 weeks :smith:

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

ptier posted:

Mine arrived today. I got 16GB of RAM and Ethernet dongle. Its at home. I am at work! GahhhhhH!

So, uh, can I drop by after work? :fap:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

krooj posted:

It's probably just me. I couldn't shake the feeling that fonts felt like they did in Windows when manufacturers started shipping LCDs with resolutions >=SXGA+. Those factory preloads would come with the font DPI set to 120 and large icons, the combination thereof made you feel like you were using a computer for "special" people.

For me, I think the most I could handle is native 1920x1200 or regular 1080p on a 15.4" display.
At the default (which I'm guessing is the HiDPI mode displaying natively) it's basically 1440x900...so size wise (fonts, icons, etc) it should be the same as the regular MBP, just a lot sharper. Of course that's kind of low res for 15" to begin with so that might explain why things looked big, particularly if you're used to denser screens.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I just confirmed that to replace the retina MacBook Pro battery, the whole top case has to get replaced. Lame.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

1997 posted:

I just confirmed that to replace the retina MacBook Pro battery, the whole top case has to get replaced. Lame.
Where did you confirm this? Are you an Apple Store employee?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

calcio posted:

Where did you confirm this? Are you an Apple Store employee?

Yes, but this is not supposed to be a secret in an way.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Is this SSD a good one to stick in an aging 2008 iMac in hopes of buying it another 6-12 months of life? http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...=I3NQ1998FHEKHU

It was $250 when I started watching it about a month ago and the price has dropped amazingly. Any reason to spend way more for an Intel or something? I know it's going to be a bit of a bastard to install, but I can't afford a new computer at the moment and I think it would be a rad upgrade.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah it's a quality drive and should have no problems in an iMac.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
I'm just going to leave this here:

FYI that is 2 Dell 2408's, 1 24" cinema display and the internal display all at "1920x1200". :gizz:

The first mac that has out of the box 3-4 monitors that isn't a mac pro.

EDIT: I think I'll be running the 3 externals only because I bet with the retina the GPU is going to be cranking.

ptier fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 18, 2012

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
How serviceable are the iMac? Can you install new video cards and/or harddrives in therm?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Tarq posted:

How serviceable are the iMac? Can you install new video cards and/or harddrives in therm?

No and yes respectively.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tarq posted:

Think of an iMac as a laptop built into a really nice big display and you'll have all your answers about what it can do.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sinestro posted:

No and yes respectively.

You can upgrade the card in certain ones...

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I just ordered a new (to me) CPU, 6970M, and bigger SSD for my 3-year old iMac IRL. This birthday, I'm tripling down on my ability to be gentle inside my iMac. Help me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

You can upgrade the card in certain ones...
If by "card" you mean "GPU daughterboard" then yes you can replace it at like 2X the cost of what a normal GPU upgrade costs.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 19, 2012

Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
Yikes, ok that is what I was afraid of. Thanks, guys.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If by "card" you mean "GPU daughterboard" then yes you can replace it at like 2X the cost of what a normal GPU upgrade costs.

Exactly, :lol:

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

you can replace the hard drives, but it's a pain in the rear end. The entire process takes around 2.5 hours from what I hear.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

spaceship posted:

you can replace the hard drives, but it's a pain in the rear end. The entire process takes around 2.5 hours from what I hear.
With ifixit's guide printed out I was able to do it the first time in ~30 minutes, and can now do an iMac drive swap in probably ~15 minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spaceship posted:

I've done 2 (21.5" and 27") and like SWSP says, it only takes 15 minutes.

Pop the glass off with a credit card, then It's like 8 screws that hold the screen to the frame. Tip it back, remove one or two cables, then remove the 2 screws holding the drive in. Put the little bracket on the new drive and put it back together.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I just got a shipment tracking email from Apple and got very excited, seeing as it would be a significantly earlier ship date than expected.

Turns out they're shipping the Student discount card on its own rather than the MBP. An odd decision, to be sure... Way to :smith: a guy, Apple.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

ptier posted:

I'm just going to leave this here:

FYI that is 2 Dell 2408's, 1 24" cinema display and the internal display all at "1920x1200". :gizz:

The first mac that has out of the box 3-4 monitors that isn't a mac pro.

EDIT: I think I'll be running the 3 externals only because I bet with the retina the GPU is going to be cranking.

:argh: You got your new laptop before fedex could even deliver me your old one.

Hopefully it shows up tomorrow instead of floating in Colorado for another day.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The longer my MBPR sits at Processing Items, the more tempted I get to cancel it and get a 13" MBA.

Is it worth the $100 to upgrade from the 1.8 to 2.0GHz in the 13" MBA?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Pop the glass off with a credit card, then It's like 8 screws that hold the screen to the frame. Tip it back, remove one or two cables, then remove the 2 screws holding the drive in. Put the little bracket on the new drive and put it back together.

On currently selling iMac 2011s, you carefully remove the glass, remove those 8 Torx T10 screws, remove and replace two EMI gaskets, remove four cables, two of which are not really designed to be removed more than a few times (the most fragile being the vsync ribbon cable in the upper left corner.) The vsync cable is right above the main power supply, which can still retain a charge that can kick your rear end if you're not careful.

Also, when you reassemble the iMac 2011s you have to reconnect the cables in a particular order, or you'll have a nice black screen where your desktop used to be.

The iFixit guide does have the right order, though..

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Got my mbpr.

Gonna take it back.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Gonna need more words than that! Is there something wrong with it, or do you just not like it? Details, man!

Edit: Just phoned Apple to cancel my MBPR which is still Processing Items. 7 days to give my money back apparently, so at this point I'm thinking I might as well wait for the MBPR and see how I like it :( I'd really like to order an Air today but I don't want to have over 4 grand tied up with Apple.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 19, 2012

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

jwoven posted:

Got my mbpr.

Gonna take it back.

Also curious! What don't you like about it? What will you use instead?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It's too big and heavy. I'm coming from a 3 lb 13" laptop (The old Thinkpad X300), and the extra 1.5 pounds and extra size are a bit much. There's nothing wrong with it. It's thin, it's light for a laptop of the size, and it has the best screen around. If you're coming from a 14 or 15" laptop, it'll be a great change and a worthy upgrade. It's just not the ultraportable I'm looking for.

Gonna get a 13" Air.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jwoven posted:

It's too big and heavy. I'm coming from a 3 lb 13" laptop (The old Thinkpad X300), and the extra 1.5 pounds and extra size are a bit much. There's nothing wrong with it. It's thin, it's light for a laptop of the size, and it has the best screen around. If you're coming from a 14 or 15" laptop, it'll be a great change and a worthy upgrade. It's just not the ultraportable I'm looking for.

Gonna get a 13" Air.

Keep it for a year and then flip it for a retina MBA.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

jwoven posted:

Gonna get a 13" Air.

I went from x200 to MBP 15" when they announced Sandy Bridge and this is exactly why I decided against the MBPR. I miss my smaller form-factor and while the resolution is cool, 15" laptops are a complete PITA on air planes. Can't wait for my MBA to come in two days :woop:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

flyboi posted:

I went from x200 to MBP 15" when they announced Sandy Bridge and this is exactly why I decided against the MBPR. I miss my smaller form-factor and while the resolution is cool, 15" laptops are a complete PITA on air planes. Can't wait for my MBA to come in two days :woop:

The airplane thing is the only thing that gives me pause, really, but I'll probably just live with using a tablet if the guy in front of me leans back.

I was surprised that the weight didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, tbh. I swore long ago that I would never get another big, extremely heavy notebook. I guess since it's not quite 1.5 pounds heavier than the 13-inch air, it's still light enough to avoid offending my delicate sensibilities. :p

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The lastest Air models are kind of a minor revision, right? I'm thinking it might be wise to replace my 2009 13" MBP with a 2011 Air to save a little money.

I guess the comedy option is some manner of ultrabook running Linux, but they all get such lousy reviews.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 19, 2012

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

mediaphage posted:

I was surprised that the weight didn't bother me as much as I thought it would, tbh. I swore long ago that I would never get another big, extremely heavy notebook. I guess since it's not quite 1.5 pounds heavier than the 13-inch air, it's still light enough to avoid offending my delicate sensibilities. :p
The RMBP actually weighs slightly less than the 13" MBPs, which is a neat point of comparison. Though it might say more about the 13" being too heavy to begin with...

Also, maybe this is an obvious point, but I suspect the only reason Apple are keeping the 13" MBP at 1280x800 is so that the inevitable 13" Retina at 2560x1600 doesn't seem like a downgrade. I can't see them running the same resolution across the 13" and 15" Retina models, and the scaling would mean people coming from an Air could still run at 1440x900.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

On currently selling iMac 2011s, you carefully remove the glass, remove those 8 Torx T10 screws, remove and replace two EMI gaskets, remove four cables, two of which are not really designed to be removed more than a few times (the most fragile being the vsync ribbon cable in the upper left corner.) The vsync cable is right above the main power supply, which can still retain a charge that can kick your rear end if you're not careful.

Also, when you reassemble the iMac 2011s you have to reconnect the cables in a particular order, or you'll have a nice black screen where your desktop used to be.

The iFixit guide does have the right order, though..

We just got the 27" in December

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Baron Dirigible posted:

The RMBP actually weighs slightly less than the 13" MBPs, which is a neat point of comparison. Though it might say more about the 13" being too heavy to begin with...

Also, maybe this is an obvious point, but I suspect the only reason Apple are keeping the 13" MBP at 1280x800 is so that the inevitable 13" Retina at 2560x1600 doesn't seem like a downgrade. I can't see them running the same resolution across the 13" and 15" Retina models, and the scaling would mean people coming from an Air could still run at 1440x900.

After coming from a 13" MBP, I love this MBPr because of the weight similarities. It's a little lighter, but it seems "bigger" so it feels much lighter by comparison. Also the screen is one of those "see it to believe it" kinda things. I have the res jacked to highest and I am never going back. First SSDs and now Retina forever!

I did love the 13" for its size though. The main reason why I got this was for the RAM and the fact that I can plug 3 monitors into it. The retina screen is just icing. Full desktop replacement + great screen on the go. Super satisfied.

EDIT: the only downsides are that it doesn't have the battery indicator lights or the sleeping white LED indicator. So there are no LEDs at all on this machine except for the monitor. I don't like that idea of just "trusting" Apple on it falling asleep I will admit. But we shall see how it goes. V2 might add that stuff back.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 19, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ptier posted:

After coming from a 13" MBP, I love this MBPr because of the weight similarities. It's a little lighter, but it seems "bigger" so it feels much lighter by comparison. Also the screen is one of those "see it to believe it" kinda things. I have the res jacked to highest and I am never going back. First SSDs and now Retina forever!

I did love the 13" for its size though. The main reason why I got this was for the RAM and the fact that I can plug 3 monitors into it. The retina screen is just icing. Full desktop replacement + great screen on the go. Super satisfied.

EDIT: the only downsides are that it doesn't have the battery indicator lights or the sleeping white LED indicator. So there are no LEDs at all on this machine except for the monitor. I don't like that idea of just "trusting" Apple on it falling asleep I will admit. But we shall see how it goes. V2 might add that stuff back.

I doubt it. My Air has no sleeping LED lights and I have never had any sort of concern. Plus that pulsating is creepy and annoying in a dark room. I am pro (:haw:) no LED indicators.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Aww, no side LEDs for battery charge? Shame, I liked those.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
I ran across the retina MBP in a Best Buy, and once I started to play with the display model the guy working was on me like a cheap suit. I was able to walk away, though, mainly because I decided I don't need what amounts to a portable desktop. Just looking at the display for a few minutes nearly sold me, though. I'm going to wait till next year to see what Haswell brings to the table, and whether or not the MBA gets the same display treatment or if Apple is going to make them into their low end line in order to force people up the ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I guess the comedy option is some manner of ultrabook running Linux, but they all get such lousy reviews.

I hate to break it to you, but...