Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Underflow posted:

Close enough. Look at 'Babyliss' for cheap, 'Braun' for something that'll last much longer.

I'm not looking to purchase, I just want to go to the barber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

I poured some carbonated vodka into heavily sugared juice, screwed on the cap and let it stand in the fridge for a few minutes. Now there's globs of gelled juice in the bottle. Would anyone have any idea why?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Gravity Pike posted:

It's way too messy from a "data ownership" point of view, for one thing. You can't un-send an email, you can't un-send a physical letter, and you can't un-make a phone call. Once it's gone, it's gone, and it belongs to someone else.

This is totally true but PSA: Gmail has a lab you can enable that allows you to undo send within 10 seconds of sending. I'm sure it just builds in a delay of 10 or 11 seconds until sending it properly, but either way that thing is AWESOME. There's another one that puts up a popup if you try to send an email that mentions an attachment without actually attaching anything.

murderDEATHkill
Apr 29, 2011

by angerbot

spregalia posted:

I'm not looking to purchase, I just want to go to the barber.

I'm sure the barber will know the answer to that question.. or at least know how many inches he/she is leaving on someone's head... Image removed

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Yes, but unfortunately I have no idea how to ask him/her nor how to understand his/her response. Living in a country where you don't speak the language is fun (yes, I'm trying to learn, but it's taking a bit of time).

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

General Venereal posted:

I poured some carbonated vodka into heavily sugared juice, screwed on the cap and let it stand in the fridge for a few minutes. Now there's globs of gelled juice in the bottle. Would anyone have any idea why?

I would guess it's because sugar solubility in water is really goddamn high compared to solubility in ethanol, so what you're seeing is saturated blobs of ethanol w/ sugar, which will form a gel-like substance. Solubility increases with temperature, so cooling it down will create these 'crystals'. Try heating it up to see if they break down again.

In the future, if you want to infuse vodka with flavor, this is not the best way. Try getting some pure flavors, like liquorice or lemon peels, put in a bottle of vodka, seal properly, put in the dishwasher to promote solution thanks to temperature, then let it sit for a week or so before filtering, and afterwards cool it to drinking temp.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Eggplant Wizard posted:

This is totally true but PSA: Gmail has a lab you can enable that allows you to undo send within 10 seconds of sending. I'm sure it just builds in a delay of 10 or 11 seconds until sending it properly, but either way that thing is AWESOME. There's another one that puts up a popup if you try to send an email that mentions an attachment without actually attaching anything.

Outlook purports to have a mail recall feature, but since it works by sending a recall notice that appears in your Inbox, it pretty much calls attention to you loving up, and you're usually better off either pretending nothing happened or faking your death.

Edit for vodka infusion: there's a fast infusion method that works with a whipped cream charger and charges of nitrous. You dump your stuff, charge it, let it sit a couple minutes so the nitrous dissolves into everything, then let the pressure off completely. Apparently releasing the pressure makes the dissolved nitrous boil and releases the tastiness. I don't know how it would work with carbonation and syrup in the mix, though.

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 17, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Some people say they are light sleepers, some people say they are deep sleepers. Why is this? Is it a medical problem? I rarely get a good "deep" sleep. I get woken up easily. Then there is my friend. She goes to sleep and it is like she is dead. I go over to her and her husbands house and she will be talking with us then lay her head down and it is lights out. Her husband can even shake her or smack her lightly in the face and she won't wake up it's freaky.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A few weeks ago, I posted a leaf for identification. Now, here's the plant it came from. Can anybody identify it?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Mister Kingdom posted:

A few weeks ago, I posted a leaf for identification. Now, here's the plant it came from. Can anybody identify it?

Looks like a type of morning glory to me. I always saw those growing up, and they were less a flower and more of a weed, because they would grow fast and choke other plants. So, possibly from the morning glory family, but not one that you'd buy and plant yourself. The ones that are specifically grown for gardens are really beautiful. Those are pretty too, but they are problematic. I am not in any way a gardener so take this with a grain of salt and all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory

A0Refrigerator
Jul 19, 2010

I Poisoned Your Waterhole?
Is there a thread anywhere for learning how to talk to people or anything? I have rather bad social anxiety to the point where I can't leave my room but I know I can't be like this forever so I want to try and fix it.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

A0Refrigerator posted:

Is there a thread anywhere for learning how to talk to people or anything? I have rather bad social anxiety to the point where I can't leave my room but I know I can't be like this forever so I want to try and fix it.

The E/N mental health megathread?

Alternatively, if you happen to be an eggplant, we do have a wizard for that.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

A0Refrigerator posted:

How would something on the Internet help you? You can already be in the Internet. It is real gooey people that scare you, so yo must look for gooey people to practice on.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

kapalama posted:

How would something on the Internet help you? You can already be in the Internet. It is real gooey people that scare you, so yo must look for gooey people to practice on.

My friend battled social anxiety for five or six years before coming to terms with this statement and finding a "real gooey" therapist to talk to.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

when worlds collide posted:

Looks like a type of morning glory to me. I always saw those growing up, and they were less a flower and more of a weed, because they would grow fast and choke other plants. So, possibly from the morning glory family, but not one that you'd buy and plant yourself. The ones that are specifically grown for gardens are really beautiful. Those are pretty too, but they are problematic. I am not in any way a gardener so take this with a grain of salt and all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_glory

If it's a morning glory, it'll close up at night, so that's one way to check.

Noni posted:

The E/N mental health megathread?

Alternatively, if you happen to be an eggplant, we do have a wizard for that.

Bibbity boppity motherfuckin boo' :kiddo: Yes, the mental health thread is tha place where the cool socially anxious oh god don't talk to me kids hang out. We will tell you to go to therapy but you won't be alone!

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone know of a comedy sketch where at one point someone gets hit with a typewriter or something? It takes place in a typical executive office (dark decor?) and I think it's British as well. I don't remember too much else. It's two men sitting across a desk and talking about something, maybe about a job hiring/firing.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 18, 2012

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Dudebro posted:

Anyone know of a comedy sketch where at one point someone gets hit with a typewriter or something? It takes place in a typical executive office (dark decor?) and I think it's British as well. I don't remember too much else. It's two men sitting across a desk and talking about something, maybe about a job hiring/firing.

On similar note, anyone know the comedy sketch between Bell and Edison, where Bell invented a wireless phone and Edison convinces him to put a wire there because that's what people like? I for the life of me can't find it with any search word combination on youtube. Also pretty sure it's British.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Dudebro posted:

It's a Mitchell and Webb sketch, you can probably find it on Youtube.

[e]i think this is the one you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRtBvo9grLw

[e]lol its still funny

Hoops fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 18, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I really loving need to get out of bed in the mornings. I am useless. My current system is having three alarms on my mobile. At some point about an hour after the last one goes off, I finally wake up.

I'm terrible at mornings and I need to stop being late for work. What can I do? Any good alarm clocks/recommended routines?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
If there's a better thread for this, point me to it.

I'm in the market for a new(er) car and plan to trade in my '02 Acura. The Acura's got a few issues (the driver door and hatch actuators are busted, which means the key fob doesn't work and the hatch won't open at all), and I am distinctly un-handy - to get these fixed I'll likely have to pay someone. At what point when trading/selling a car is it not worth it to have something fixed? For instance it might cost $250 to have a mechanic fix this, but if I do have it fixed will I see at least a $250 gain in trade-in price? Or is it a wash?

My fear is that they'll see the fob doesn't work and the hatch won't open, and they'll assume bigger (unseen) problems and automatically knock $500 off their estimate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

marshmallard posted:

I really loving need to get out of bed in the mornings. I am useless. My current system is having three alarms on my mobile. At some point about an hour after the last one goes off, I finally wake up.

I'm terrible at mornings and I need to stop being late for work. What can I do? Any good alarm clocks/recommended routines?

A clock with a bedshaker alarm like this one http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/8f1a/

They're usually made for deaf people who can't hear an alarm, but can be woken up by violently shaking the bed.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Install Gentoo posted:

A clock with a bedshaker alarm like this one http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/8f1a/

They're usually made for deaf people who can't hear an alarm, but can be woken up by violently shaking the bed.

Purchased. Brilliant, thank you.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

marshmallard posted:

I've done three alarms, I've had the bed-shaker (they say you can use one and not wake up the person sleeping next to you, but hahaha...yeah, good luck with that), I've had alarms setup on the opposite side of the room so I had to physically get out of bed to turn them off...

...And not one of them fixed the problem (or rather they did fix it, but only in a short term way that still had me oversleeping a couple times a month) until I started going to bed at a decent time. I realized about five years too late that I simply wasn't capable of functioning on 5 hours' sleep each night, like I could through my mid-20's. As soon as I bumped it up to about 7-8 hours, waking up got a hell of a lot easier. That doesn't mean I enjoy it, but at least now I'm not in danger of falling back asleep two seconds after I've turned off the alarm.

The thing is, if your problem is the same as mine (and of course it may not be) it means you now have an even bigger problem: you're getting old. :)

jackpot fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 18, 2012

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

jackpot posted:

The thing is, if your problem is the same as mine (and of course it may not be) it means you now have an even bigger problem: you're getting old. :)

:/

I do not like this answer.

(You're probably right, although I've never been able to get up in the morning).

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

marshmallard posted:

Peh. Saw the matter was settled in the thread the moment after I hit Quote and can't think of a question to ask, or find the wireless phone sketch which I think sounds familiar. What a waste of a post, sorry.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Hoops posted:

It's a Mitchell and Webb sketch, you can probably find it on Youtube.

[e]i think this is the one you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRtBvo9grLw

[e]lol its still funny

Yes, that's exactly the one. Thank you!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Is there any way to un-blur a photo? Like you took a photo, but its a bit blurry and you want to sharpen it up so you can read a string of numbers? I'm trying to read this tracking number but it's blurry as crap and I can't get a clearer photo.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

ladyweapon posted:

Is there any way to un-blur a photo? Like you took a photo, but its a bit blurry and you want to sharpen it up so you can read a string of numbers? I'm trying to read this tracking number but it's blurry as crap and I can't get a clearer photo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk

Eh, depends on how bad the blur is-- if it's significantly blurred, depends whether it's motion blur or defocus.

You can certainly sharpen images in Photoshop -- use the Sharpen effect for quick and dirty results. There are much better ways, but they all depend on your proficiency in the software.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Apparently the next photoshop is going to have a kickass unblurring filter.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-sneak-peek-image-deblurring-adobe-max.html

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

Samopsa posted:

In the future, if you want to infuse vodka with flavor, this is not the best way. Try getting some pure flavors, like liquorice or lemon peels, put in a bottle of vodka, seal properly, put in the dishwasher to promote solution thanks to temperature, then let it sit for a week or so before filtering, and afterwards cool it to drinking temp.

Thanks for really great advice!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liebfraumilch posted:

Peh. Saw the matter was settled in the thread the moment after I hit Quote and can't think of a question to ask, or find the wireless phone sketch which I think sounds familiar. What a waste of a post, sorry.
You may know this but from your post I can't be sure: it's not a post until you click "submit." You can click post or reply or quote all day but nothing gets sent to the forums until you submit it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Recently I heard some music that sounded like pop R&B, but it sounded like a CD was skipping. I noticed, though, that the skips were definitely deliberate, and rhythmic. But they were full-blown skips, with the vocals and instruments all skipping back a few milliseconds. Sometimes these happened several in a row, and it made for an interesting rhythm on top of the original music's rhythm.

Is this a thing in music, or one particular artist, or a little of both?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

alnilam posted:

Recently I heard some music that sounded like pop R&B, but it sounded like a CD was skipping. I noticed, though, that the skips were definitely deliberate, and rhythmic. But they were full-blown skips, with the vocals and instruments all skipping back a few milliseconds. Sometimes these happened several in a row, and it made for an interesting rhythm on top of the original music's rhythm.

Is this a thing in music, or one particular artist, or a little of both?

Yes, it's a recognized thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopped_and_screwed

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

randyest posted:

You may know this but from your post I can't be sure: it's not a post until you click "submit." You can click post or reply or quote all day but nothing gets sent to the forums until you submit it.

I had no idea--I always see apologetic messages from users hitting quote instead of edit, so I thought once you did that you had grabbed the mic and your choice was to mumble something or make a blank post.

I had originally posted to clarify whether marshmallard had trouble hearing the alarm at all, or, like me, trouble not compulsively hitting Snooze every five minutes for an hour. I solve that on days I absolutely must get up by putting my alarm (mobile phone) way across the room or even in the bathroom so I have to walk across the cold tile and going back to bed is actually more trouble than just resigning myself to the day.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

marshmallard posted:

I know you got the shaking thing but there are a lot of suggestions in a recent E/N thread (not normal e/n thread, it's okay): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490586

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I know you got the shaking thing but there are a lot of suggestions in a recent E/N thread (not normal e/n thread, it's okay): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490586

This is great, thank you.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Liebfraumilch posted:

I had no idea--I always see apologetic messages from users hitting quote instead of edit, so I thought once you did that you had grabbed the mic and your choice was to mumble something or make a blank post.

They do this because they hit quote, make their changes, save it, and only then realize they hadn't edited. They then go back, edit their original post, and blank the reply.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

b0nes posted:

Some people say they are light sleepers, some people say they are deep sleepers. Why is this? Is it a medical problem? I rarely get a good "deep" sleep. I get woken up easily. Then there is my friend. She goes to sleep and it is like she is dead. I go over to her and her husbands house and she will be talking with us then lay her head down and it is lights out. Her husband can even shake her or smack her lightly in the face and she won't wake up it's freaky.

I would love to know this as well, as I'm like your friend and can sleep through drat near anything. When I was living in a residence (dorm) in grad school I slept through a fire alarm once which scared my friends to the point where they asked me to not lock my room at night, in case there really was a fire. OTOH I have a hell of a time falling asleep and always have; when I was a kid mornings usually meant my mother and I would both be angry or in tears or both because I was being peeled out of bed after getting about 3 or 4 hours' sleep and felt like absolute poo poo.

Slightly related to the above: is there a noise limit on motorcycles in Ontario? There's at least one person in this town who has the loudest loving machine in the world and it makes me wish the yellow pages had a section where you could find snipers for hire. It's slightly related because I was trying to grab a nap this afternoon after a busy weekend and a lot of late nights, and twice when I was about to doze off, the world's loudest bike went past (once in each direction).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Go to bed earlier and at the same time dvery single day. Your body will take care of the rest.
I've only ever used an alarm a dozen times or so, and that only in the last few years when I've had a cell phone... but I still wake up before the alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Who has the longest rap sheet in SA-forums?