Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Oh Fairfax :swoon: how I wonder at your subs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

dusty posted:

Ah Dunedin. I was there when the Bowler ran Wifebeater Wednesdays back in '04, which was judged to breach advertising standards.

$1 shots at K-Sleaze on Tuesdays! $2 beers/house wines/doubles on Wednesdays!

Those were the days.

All those bars have closed now though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
http://tvnz.co.nz/back-benches/s8-ep18-video-4928685

"The aging workforce is a manufactured crisis"
~Paul Goldsmith

:catstare:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Exclamation Marx posted:

http://tvnz.co.nz/back-benches/s8-ep18-video-4928685

"The aging workforce is a manufactured crisis"
~Paul Goldsmith

Norightturn is also railing against Labour's stance on superanuuation. He is arguing that it is only going to be a small increase in the cost of the scheme which in the big picture is easily absorbed by the total cost of running the country. While he may have a point about the relative cost increase it is still something we should be thinking about and planning for now, not in 20 years time.

whoopps forgot the link
http://norightturn.blogspot.co.nz/2012/06/what-superannuation-crisis.html

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
Will create a trip report the NZF convention soon enough with pics heh.

Anyways, it was definitely not boring and apparent the members/delegates are listened to.

Some notes from yesterday:

Day one of NZF AGM... intriguing. Lots of people OTP. Spotted 'the chief' heading out the back for a durry. Nationalizing our Oil resources ala Norway is popular, so is increasing transport infrastructure development to some equitable level with new roads (that remit not yet debated though). Main disappointment so far is remit passed that voting should be compulsory Ala Australia as mainly spoken to by Denis O'Rourke.

I can entirely attach myself to the idea voting is a duty, but less voting participation shows a lack of engagement and trying to fine people into voting doesn't really help jack.

Anyways, discussion about immigration and super was really a small piece of the conference and only one part of the leaders keynote speech -_- The TV3 crew left 2/3 of the way through Winstons speech after they appeared to have got their 10 second comment on immigration/super.

Anyways-

Im completely willing to discuss/acknowledge flaws in the party, its policy, MP's and leader etc. but the media coverage that I am seeing from stuff first hand is palpably crafted sensationalistic crap.

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 17, 2012

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
Clare Curran focuses on the big issues: Does John Key fake his number of Twitter followers?

Clare Curran posted:

So with the help of Twitter API I analysed the followers of the @johnkeypm account. The results confirmed almost exactly what my eyes had already told me: most of the accounts were spambots, zombies, or worse.

John Key probably remains New Zealand politician with the largest Twitter follower count but with a much smaller margin than the numbers suggest – if one is at all concerned about quality or real accounts.

http://blog.labour.org.nz/2012/06/17/john-keys-ghost-followers/

Good to see Labour is spending so much time analysing the quality of John Key's twitter followers, these are truly the issues that 2014 will be fought on.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
His cult of personality is the biggest weapon in National's arsenal - some may argue at this point it's their only weapon.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Lemonus posted:

Will create a trip report the NZF convention soon enough with pics heh.

Great stuff. Crucially for any party gathering you need to give us more insight into what the food was like. Were there sausage rolls?

miss_chaos posted:

Clare Curran focuses on the big issues: Does John Key fake his number of Twitter followers?

http://blog.labour.org.nz/2012/06/17/john-keys-ghost-followers/

Good to see Labour is spending so much time analysing the quality of John Key's twitter followers, these are truly the issues that 2014 will be fought on.

I think that it's pretty harmless, and fits with broadcasting which I think she covers pretty well. It's not like she's devoted any time to it; just cutting and pasting an email she's received.

I think she's an above average Labour MP in terms of output. I don't know what constituent work they do, but she really doesn't leave any stones unturned in terms of her broadcast portfolio. Her snafus seem to be not thinking the social media thing through often enough, and being resentful about Greens vote-poaching.

Thank you for reminding me earlier about K-sleaze. I used to live just nearby - they'd keep me awake till 4am 6 days a week. Every night they'd close down to the sweet sounds of Pure Shores by All Saints - as soon as the song started the punters knew they had only seconds left to try and score.

dusty fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 17, 2012

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

dusty posted:

I think that it's pretty harmless, and fits with broadcasting which I think she covers pretty well. It's not like she's devoted any time to it; just cutting and pasting an email she's received.

She has been very visible in broadcasting, more MPs should take a line from her. Greens are still more visible on most left issues though.

In the style of GARETH KEENAN INVESTIGATES, Clare has put another post up.

Clare Curran posted:

More than half of John Key’s followers don’t stack up.

I reckon that’s a bit odd. I’ll be undertaking a cleanout of my followers. And expect a bit of scrutiny of them.

I think the question that remains is how did John Key acquire nearly 30,000 bogus followers?

*dramatic spy music*

Seriously though, if a Labour MP thinks that after month on month of governmental SNAFUs, screw ups and mini scandals that spammers following the PM indicates some kind of astro turfed grand conspiracy that attacks Key's 'cult of personality' then, well, I don't even know.

The problem is literally no-one cares who follows anyone on Twitter. The PM's twitters is a few photographs and press releases, what's the scandal there?

P.S: Dusty: also, RIP 2 Bears. My friend met his future wife there as Usher's 'Yeah' played on the sound system and everyone slipped down the vomit-sodden stairs. RIP 2 Bears, RIP.

P.P.S: NZ First food pics plz. What were the demographics like?

miss_chaos fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 17, 2012

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

dusty posted:

I think she's an above average Labour MP in terms of output. I don't know what constituent work they do, but she really doesn't leave any stones unturned in terms of her broadcast portfolio. Her snafus seem to be not thinking the social media thing through often enough, and being resentful about Greens vote-poaching.

It is important that the communications and IT spokesperson understands things like Twitter and Facebook and how they can be used/manipulated in various forms. Do you see many high up in National knowing what a twitter is beyond that thing the magic pixies put out releases on when the tell them to?
Let alone understand about spammers etc using the platform?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

if John Key is found to have non-human twitter followers then that's it!

Snap election!

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
And why has no one looked into whether John Key's Facebook 'likers' are all New Zealand citizens and over 18? He has nearly 75,000 likes and some of these people might not even be able to vote for him! This could clearly be a misrepresentation of his popularity.

I expect an investigation forthwith. Maybe by the Sunday Star Times, following their hard hitting expose on New Zealander's health habits via measuring how many Facebook likes Coke has.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It wouldn't be NZ journalism unless they ask Sonny Bill Williams about it too.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

Varkk posted:

It is important that the communications and IT spokesperson understands things like Twitter and Facebook and how they can be used/manipulated in various forms. Do you see many high up in National knowing what a twitter is beyond that thing the magic pixies put out releases on when the tell them to?
Let alone understand about spammers etc using the platform?

I'd have said figuring out social media as a political tool is a job for Labour's (largely absentee) press and communications team rather than a public policy issue that falls under 'communications and IT' like, say, ultra fast broadband.

National's Twitter feeds may be boring, but they at least don't have a social media-led stuff up that leads to a news story every second week. Engaging in traditional PR works for National so they largely stick to their knitting but Labour doesn't seen to have any strategy or rules around its social media use which is why they go FUBAR on it so often. Trevor Mallard tracks the IPs of people who disagree with him on Red Alert FFS. I'm not sure that's a good sign of a medium being well used. Social media is a great tool for politicians but they need to have a strategy, metrics, goals etc not just a free for all. Julia Gillard does Twitter well across the ditch as do the Greens here.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

In today's news the government is so serious about keeping young women off the DPB that they are scrapping funding for providing free sexual health advice to young people. I am not sure they have thought their cunning plan all the way through.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10813666

Gibbs Greatly
Feb 15, 2011

Angry Moo Cow posted:

if John Key is found to have non-human twitter followers then that's it!

Snap election!

It would explain the governments "Free ipads for sheep" policy...

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

Varkk posted:

In today's news the government is so serious about keeping young women off the DPB that they are scrapping funding for providing free sexual health advice to young people. I am not sure they have thought their cunning plan all the way through.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=10813666

There are 4 free sexual health clinics run for people on any age by the DHB mentioned in that article, plus Family Planning and East Health clinics which are both free for young people. And I assume student health as well which is dirt cheap of you have a Community Services card. So that's not entirely correct and while less sex education options is never a good thing, there are still numerous free options for young people in Auckland, including a number that are government funded.

Get out into the regions, and there's far far less. I read a story this week about community pushback against providing an abortion service in Invercargill. Currently those seeking one have to travel to the nearest larger cities - Dunedin (2.5 hours drive) or Christchurch (7 hours drive), and there's very few sexual health facilities at all there. Population base aside, having to travel several hours, pay transport costs and accommodation + time off work etc just to get healthcare really isn't on.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Shoutout to this thread as I'm about to head into my Politics 111 exam. Haven't studied, but between this thread and my own bias, I'm sure I'll get a B-

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

miss_chaos posted:

There are 4 free sexual health clinics run for people on any age by the DHB mentioned in that article, plus Family Planning and East Health clinics which are both free for young people. And I assume student health as well which is dirt cheap of you have a Community Services card. So that's not entirely correct and while less sex education options is never a good thing, there are still numerous free options for young people in Auckland, including a number that are government funded.

Get out into the regions, and there's far far less. I read a story this week about community pushback against providing an abortion service in Invercargill. Currently those seeking one have to travel to the nearest larger cities - Dunedin (2.5 hours drive) or Christchurch (7 hours drive), and there's very few sexual health facilities at all there. Population base aside, having to travel several hours, pay transport costs and accommodation + time off work etc just to get healthcare really isn't on.

Palmerston North faces a similar issue - the closest abortion service is in Wellington, which means it's a two-hour trip. These are cities of around 50-100,000 people whose DHBs also service much larger regions (think of what this means for people in Dannevirke or Taihape who end up in the situation where they need an abortion). It's pretty shameful that we can't even provide that service in areas that large - it's almost punitive in itself.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

hairypanis posted:

Shoutout to this thread as I'm about to head into my Politics 111 exam. Haven't studied, but between this thread and my own bias, I'm sure I'll get a B-

Jesus this makes me feel ancient.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Don't worry, I too am ancient and I am going to go to my politics exam tomorrow, and I have also not studied due to a number of personal circumstances (namely, my house burnt down with all my study poo poo in it and my wife having a difficult pregnancy - mainly due to the stress of losing a house). I am not expecting to do well at all. I deserve it. I haven't read the course material and looking at previous exam papers, the exam covers a very wide selection of the course.

I'll get it again next time.

Good luck, hairy one.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

Angry Moo Cow posted:

Don't worry, I too am ancient and I am going to go to my politics exam tomorrow, and I have also not studied due to a number of personal circumstances (namely, my house burnt down with all my study poo poo in it and my wife having a difficult pregnancy - mainly due to the stress of losing a house). I am not expecting to do well at all. I deserve it. I haven't read the course material and looking at previous exam papers, the exam covers a very wide selection of the course.

I'll get it again next time.

Good luck, hairy one.

Sorry things have been poo poo for you Moo Cow.

Not even in the same ballpark, when I was going post-grad many moons ago (get off my lawn!), my house got burgled 2 weeks before exams and they stole everything electronic they could put their hands on. The worst part was being treated like a lying crim myself by uni administrators who thought I was just making it up to get an extension - despite being top of my class.

gently caress Massey for real.

Good luck for all sitting exams.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Thanks, it is a bit of a pain but insurance peeps have been pretty cool about the whole thing. One of the contractors they used ended up stealing a whole bunch of stuff while I was at work (yes, I have a pretty decent job already - study is to help prevent my brain turning to rot) so that was fun to deal with.
It will be nice once we get back to our own place though. All 4 of us at my parents house (or to put it another way, my wife's inlaws) for the past 2 or 3 months has been interesting. Free babysitters though.

Incidentally, my wife believes that she could be in labour as I write this. Small, but regular contractions going down in my parents spare room.

While that goes down, I shall read up on federation subnational politics. You know, just in case baby doesn't decide to come and those assholes at Massey (they are better than they were a decade ago, but still assholes) decide that this doesn't warrant an impaired examination.

not that I'm trying to get out of my responsibilities or anything :ohdear: Should stop having kids.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Go catch that baby! Like Israel Dagg under the high ball - just make sure you use your arms in the tackle or you'll get at least ten mins in the bin.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I mentioned to my wife that this baby might be quick and due to our rural location, I might have to deliver our baby.

I then mentioned that Andy Zaltzman from political animal/bugle fame helped deliver their child. If he can do it, so can I.

But in the meantime, I'm going to keep reading this incredibly boring text book :smith: and procrastinate on the internet :unsmith:

Unfortunately I don't "do" rugby, so I am unsure what your references are sorry :( I know that Dagg played in the world cup or something.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Angry Moo Cow posted:

Thanks, it is a bit of a pain but insurance peeps have been pretty cool about the whole thing. One of the contractors they used ended up stealing a whole bunch of stuff while I was at work (yes, I have a pretty decent job already - study is to help prevent my brain turning to rot) so that was fun to deal with.
It will be nice once we get back to our own place though. All 4 of us at my parents house (or to put it another way, my wife's inlaws) for the past 2 or 3 months has been interesting. Free babysitters though.

Incidentally, my wife believes that she could be in labour as I write this. Small, but regular contractions going down in my parents spare room.

While that goes down, I shall read up on federation subnational politics. You know, just in case baby doesn't decide to come and those assholes at Massey (they are better than they were a decade ago, but still assholes) decide that this doesn't warrant an impaired examination.

not that I'm trying to get out of my responsibilities or anything :ohdear: Should stop having kids.

Sorry to hear that bro. Hope the baby is ok and the shitheads at the uni faculty give you a pass.

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

Angry Moo Cow posted:

The moral of the story is Massey sucks balls and no one should ever go there unless you are doing: vet, design, journalism, nursing or, like, food agriculture poo poo. Or at least minimise the terrible, terrible quality of lecturers by doing distance learning.

I wish Vic hadn't cancelled my programme.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

New Zealand Megathread - Slavery on the high seas!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/7136340/NZ-slammed-in-US-slavery-report

(Rather fitting with the Confederate icon I guess >_>)

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006

Stuff posted:

"Judith Collins, when she got the news of the mass privacy breach, called the chief executive and chairman of the board to her office in Auckland and said to them 'what is going on; gave them a dressing down and said it's not just a question of sorting out privacy, I want you go to after Michelle Boag," Little said.

"She urged and pressured and pressed the chief executive and chairman of the board to make a complaint to the police and that's what they did."

Collins has repeatedly denied instructing ACC to go to police and provided Parliament with a timeline of her meetings with ACC over the mass privacy breach. That included the meeting in Auckland on March 14 and the focus had been the 6700 claimants whose privacy was breached, Collins told Parliament on Tuesday.

"The referral was made by the chief executive of ACC. It was not referred to me, and I was not party to any discussions with the police."

Andrew Little has made claims in Parliament tonight about what Judith Collins supposedly did in regards to ACC - at least he was smart enough to make them under Parliamentary privilege this time.

I think Andrew Little needs to take a few deep breathes before his court case. They will need to have legal evidence of that Collins is lying and they haven't provided anything so far. Time will tell, I suppose

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7142014/ACC-pawn-in-game-MP-Andrew-Little

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Do people remember that thing posted here that was floating around facebook among less cultured groups... you know "this Generation is poo poo because we didn't smack them, oh and something about immigration?

The Waikato times felt it was worth expanding upon

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/opinion/letters/7135757/Letter-RIP-New-Zealand

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 21, 2012

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Lemonus posted:

Do people remember that thing posted here that was floating around facebook among less cultured groups... you know "this Generation is poo poo because we didn't smack them, oh and something about immigration?

The Waikato times felt it was worth expanding upon

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/opinion/letters/7135757/Letter-RIP-New-Zealand

quote:

You went soft on immigration.

quote:

respect for other people's differing opinions, cultural values and traditions.
:ironicat:

Though to be fair, it's just some old person with too much time on his hands writing in to the paper.

Just saw this floating around on FB - TradeMe - John Key for sale.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So something pretty loving big about ACC has come up.

quote:

KEVIN HAGUE (Green) to the Minister for ACC: Can she confirm that staff in ACC’s Recovery Independence Service teams receive more or less remuneration dependent on whether the proportion of people receiving weekly compensation is less or more than specified duration targets?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS (Minister for ACC): I have today been advised that within the performance framework for the Recover Independence Service team, there is a component related to net entries to the long-term claim pool. I have also been advised that the component related to that number was approximately 15 percent of how a case-managed performance is measured. If a case manager performs well against the other 85 percent of their targets, they may still be entitled to a performance-based pay increase.

Kevin Hague: What is the clinical basis for these targets, if any at all?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS: I do not think I can answer that, because it is very much an operational issue, but I can say that ACC has advised me that it uses specialist, independent vocational rehabilitation services and clinicians to help people return to their pre-injury occupation wherever possible.

Kevin Hague: Does the Minister accept that having a financial incentive to terminate claimants’ compensation is likely to make case managers more inclined to terminate compensation for more claimants?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS: If the member wants to put it like that, I can understand why he would be concerned. But we can look at it another way, which is a financial incentive to help people get back to independence and get back to work. I would say that was probably a good thing.

Kevin Hague: What safeguards, if any at all, are there to ensure that staff financial incentives do not lead to clinically inappropriate decisions to terminate compensation?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS: I am advised that ACC uses the specialist, independent vocational rehabilitation services and clinicians, and that these people are independent, and that that is quite different from the case managers.

Kevin Hague: Is she aware that the rates of successful challenges of ACC decisions continue to rise in both the decision review process and in the District Court, and does she agree that that is indicative of something badly wrong in ACC decision-making?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS: I think what it does indicate is that Dispute Resolution Services is clearly quite independent of ACC, as is, obviously, the District Court. There may well be instances—as in ACC previously—where they believe that there are too many decisions being reversed on the basis that someone is clearly making the wrong decisions, the wrong call. That tells me that these are made by independent clinicians. Actually, I think it would be a bad thing if every dispute that was sent to, for instance, Dispute Resolution Services for ACC was upheld. That would tell me that the service was either not independent or that nobody was actually checking to see whether or not people can work.

Kevin Hague: What other ACC staff or contractors have financial incentives to deny claims or reduce compensation or rehabilitation services to ACC claimants?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS: I do not have that information.

Kevin Hague: Has she now received enough information about ACC’s disastrous claims management processes to ask the Auditor-General to bring forward her investigation of ACC’s claims management processes?

Hon JUDITH COLLINS: I have not actually received enough information to do that. I am aware that the Auditor-General is undertaking her review, and I am prepared to wait for that review.

Kevin Hague: I seek leave to table a document. It is a document from ACC in response to an Official Information Act request from a member of the public. It sets out the key performance indicators for staff in the Recover Independence Service teams.

Mr SPEAKER: Leave is sought to table that document. Is there any objection? There is no objection. Document, by leave, laid on the Table of the House.

http://parliamenttoday.co.nz/2012/06/questions-and-answers-june-21-2/#more-1566
(You're looking for question 3)

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/acc-staff-paid-more-cutting-off-claimants-greens-4941184

Hague attacked Collins in parliament today, in regards to allegations that ACC staff were given financial incentives to reject or terminate claims. This is going to become something big and I think we're starting to see what kind of culture was allowed to foster within ACC under this government's watch.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
They probably did it on purpose in order to use it as an excuse to privatise.

Makes me feel sort of sick as the Government heads towards the asset-sale bill, and nothing can be done. Plus trying to destroy ACC, and just generally making lovely things happen.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think we all suspected it, but then having evidence of this actually come up is pretty sickening.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

quote:

Hon JUDITH COLLINS: I am advised that ACC uses the specialist, independent vocational rehabilitation services and clinicians, and that these people are independent, and that that is quite different from the case managers.
Wow, that's misleading as hell. Yes, the specialists and physios and rehabs and so on are independent, but ultimately it's all down to the case manager and other people at ACC, who have been known to completely ignore medical advice.

From my experience working for a variety of medical specialists who do work with ACC claims, this is a fairly typical case of ACC rejecting a claim.

Mind you, the Herald has been recycling this story and similar ones for years now and nothing happens.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10640728
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10693080
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10692827

And yeah, that they have incentives to do so doesn't particularly surprise me.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/grudge-boils-over/1427518/

This is a complete car crash. I've said it before but the South Island really is 30-40 years behind - Christchurch is the unpleasant uncle who keeps telling racist jokes at family gatherings.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The CBHS/Christ's College rugby match has always been a really nasty affair, I think it has turned violent a few times in the past, especially among the supporters. But I don't think you can really say the South Island is behind the rest of the country in that sort of regard however unless you are basing your observations about the rest of NZ based on a small enclave in central Wellington.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dusty posted:

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/grudge-boils-over/1427518/

This is a complete car crash. I've said it before but the South Island really is 30-40 years behind - Christchurch is the unpleasant uncle who keeps telling racist jokes at family gatherings.

Speaking of South Island racists: there was that incident where Wesley College beat St. Bede's in August last year and then 2 months later, some students were caught making racist comments about the Wesley kids and how they're dumb PIs and some such balderdash.

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/catholic-students-in-racist-taunts/1126604/

Varkk posted:

The CBHS/Christ's College rugby match has always been a really nasty affair, I think it has turned violent a few times in the past, especially among the supporters. But I don't think you can really say the South Island is behind the rest of the country in that sort of regard however unless you are basing your observations about the rest of NZ based on a small enclave in central Wellington.

No, you're right. There was that incident in 2009 involving Auckland Grammar boys in a rugby game against Kelston Boys, a low decile predominantly Maori and Pacifika students, which descended into a brawl. The most galling thing about that was that the Kelston boys got 10 to 16 month bans, while the Auckland Grammar boys got 6 weeks - with one of the judiciary panel members being the father of an Auckland Grammar student. There were also allegations of racist taunting from the Auckland Grammar team and their supporters, with the comment that set off the Kelston boy was hearing someone say "don't bother ref, they can't even read" when the referee penalised a player.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 22, 2012

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I'm not saying that there aren't racists everywhere, far from it. What struck me about that article was the attitudes of the adults, who simply don't see anything wrong with this state of affairs.

That's what I mean about the South Island being backwards - it's like watching an episode of Man Men: the most awful aspects of the 1960s are still part and parcel of Cantabrian culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dusty posted:

I'm not saying that there aren't racists everywhere, far from it. What struck me about that article was the attitudes of the adults, who simply don't see anything wrong with this state of affairs.

That's what I mean about the South Island being backwards - it's like watching an episode of Man Men: the most awful aspects of the 1960s are still part and parcel of Cantabrian culture.

Pretty much just like the AGS parent on the judicial panel in 2009 who handed down clearly unfair punishments to AGS and Kelston students who were involved in the rugby brawl. It's probably more an issue with the kind of people who send their kids to "status" schools in general, regardless of where that school is.

Or even making a clearly racially motivated taunt at the rugby game where their team is up against one predominantly made up of PI and Maori boys.

• Locked thread