Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Hahahaha I got Chemist for my last job. Doesn't that pretty much mean easymode for the rest of the game?

Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist. Pretty good team I think. What do I do about jobs until my fourth party member returns?

Sup fellow Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist buddy. :):hf::)

Yeah, it's a pretty easymode team after the initial Thief/Thief/Thief/Thief segment. Admittedly a little lacking in non-magical damage output, but very versatile and survivable. See how far you can get without too much level grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really hoping I get Bard after reading this thread. It seems like a pretty great job.

Edit: Also, after I get the next crystal, how many characters do I switch to the new job? Never mind, found it.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 20, 2012

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

Victory!

Knight/Thief/Berserker/Blue Mage. I was worried up until the fourth crystal, but blue mage makes everything easy. I have a new appreciation for Knight, but even moreso for Berserker. It's not really as bad as most people think, as long as you know what you're doing. Death Sickle definitely helps Berserkers shine for most of the game.

I still don't have much of a strong opinion about Thief but I just stuck !Blue on it as soon as possible so it was like a second, faster Blue Mage.

Now I just have to provide moral support for my non-goon friend who is the other guy that got Knight and 3 Berserkers.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

The hardest part of Thief first (I just tweeted my #victory tweet for it!) is Magissa/Forza and Galura. If you're willing to grind to I think 14, you can kill Magissa in two rounds of combat and have her not summon Forza, I think. Don't quote me on that one.

Galura will require just a truckload of potions and careful timing of attacks. Get the Elf Cape from Walse Castle Basement since you can easily use !Flee to avoid the Jakanapes. Good luck!

You can also steal Mythril Knives from I think the Wyverns in Worus Tower to more or less double your damage output against Galura. If you're having trouble, consider doing that.

e: You know, I'm really coming around on Berserker myself. As long as you're willing to work with them a little bit they can be a very helpful member of your team. I know I'm much happier having Berserker as my Earth job than I am having Dancer or Red Mage or something. It's just that compared to the really strong jobs, they're a bit lackluster.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 20, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Think the post was missed because I edited it in

Whm
Berserker
Ninja
Dancer

Should be pretty easy right? Can berserkers dual wield stuff?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Think the post was missed because I edited it in

Whm
Berserker
Ninja
Dancer

Should be pretty easy right? Can berserkers dual wield stuff?

Sure can! Also, do yourself a favor and slot !White on your Ninja. Scrolls are based off your magic power and !White increases your Magic to White Mage levels. Kyrosiris was doing ~4.5k damage with scrolls that exploit an enemy weakness on his Ninja with !Summon. You might not get that high, but 2-3k damage isn't something to sneeze at.

Hell, once you get the Rune Ax, slot !White on your Zerker too so he'll have more MP to burn using it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gilgabot posted:

@MrAristocrates can now use the Water Job 'Berserker'. Haha.

:smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or better yet, put !Throw on your white mage since he'll be really lacking for multi-target damage, and damage at all for most of the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vil posted:

Sup fellow Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist buddy. :):hf::)

Yeah, it's a pretty easymode team after the initial Thief/Thief/Thief/Thief segment. Admittedly a little lacking in non-magical damage output, but very versatile and survivable. See how far you can get without too much level grinding.
Haven't had to really do any so far, and luckily I can either !Flee from encounters or !Sing the enemies Stopped :)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

How in the world am I supposed to beat Liquid Flame with Thief/Berserker?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Hope your Berserkers hit it a bunch and it doesn't switch to Human form often. Thief has like no offense, so I'd suggest rolling Thief/Triple Berserker. You've got to rely on luck anyway, might as well give yourself high damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MrAristocrates posted:

Another option: kill your berserker before the fight and go in with 3 thieves. Hit LF until it changes to the tornado form (where it only uses spells to heal itself). Wait until it runs out of MP (shouldn't take long). Now whenever it changes back to the tornado, use that time to heal up since it'll just sit there not doing anything. Bring lots of potions.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

MrAristocrates posted:

Steal a lot of HiPotions from Poltergeists, and level like crazy?

In other news, I beat Neo-Exdeath last night:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah scrolls! Forgot about those. I think that's actually a really easy party once you get Ninjas. Counts as magic damage too right? So I can grab holy without too much grief.

How about dancer - does swords dance work with dual wield? Dunno how much of that equipment you can get without a thief anyway. Rainbow dress/haste boots/ribbon would be pretty good if you can rely on a good sword dance.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Oh yeah scrolls! Forgot about those. I think that's actually a really easy party once you get Ninjas. Counts as magic damage too right? So I can grab holy without too much grief.

How about dancer - does swords dance work with dual wield? Dunno how much of that equipment you can get without a thief anyway. Rainbow dress/haste boots/ribbon would be pretty good if you can rely on a good sword dance.

Yeah, pretty sure sword dance and two swords work just fine. Also, you can get all the dancer equipment using a thief knife; it'll just take a little longer. Also, I think most of it can be found in the Rift, if you're willing to wait that long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just beat Liquid Flame. Had to use a combination of all the advice: I switched two of my Thieves for Berserkers, grinded up to level 23, and stole about 20 Hi-Potions (I only needed 4).

Edit: I got Geomancer for Fire. I've been told that's good. :toot:

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 20, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sword dance will work with both weapons. Chicken Knife/Maneater with Sword Dance sounds kind of terrifying, actually. You might want to drop the haste boots for red shoes if you're sword dance fishing but really, not a lot you can do with dancer. You can get all of her gear with a thief knife from stuff in the Phoenix Tower and I'd strongly recommend doing that ASAP.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MrAristocrates posted:

Just beat Liquid Flame. Had to use a combination of all the advice: I switched two of my Thieves for Berserkers, grinded up to level 23, and stole about 20 Hi-Potions (I only needed 4).

Edit: I got Geomancer for Fire. I've been told that's good. :toot:

drat, my guys aren't even in their 20's yet and I've got the black chocobo.

I find myself grinding less this run. I should probably sit down and grind jobs a bit.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Seeing as I've already beaten the game once for this thing, is there anything stopping me from making another twitter account and running it again? Not a lot on my plate this weekend.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mathemagician posted:

Seeing as I've already beaten the game once for this thing, is there anything stopping me from making another twitter account and running it again? Not a lot on my plate this weekend.

It wouldn't hurt to try and #reg with your original twitter account but in the mean time I've asked RK.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

Apparently after your victory is processed you can just #reg or #reghard again as of today. Neat!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yep, he gave me this answer:

@therootsweshare Once they have had their victory confirmed by me, yes. If they have a star next to their name they can #reg/#reghard again.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Fungah! posted:

Sword dance will work with both weapons. Chicken Knife/Maneater with Sword Dance sounds kind of terrifying, actually. You might want to drop the haste boots for red shoes if you're sword dance fishing but really, not a lot you can do with dancer. You can get all of her gear with a thief knife from stuff in the Phoenix Tower and I'd strongly recommend doing that ASAP.

I believe you need only 1 piece of the gear to get the sword dance boost, so keep those haste boots on for more murderation.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Cool, let's try HARD this time, I feel like Black/Summoner/Hunter/Samurai was too easy. I don't know any of the neat little tips/tricks everyone else seems to be using, I'm learning some stuff from this thread.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So after winning using a Beastmaster for the first time I'm curious, does Berserk (status ailment) cause special weapons to proc abilities more often? The fire whip went from activating Firaga every four turns or so to working every time, on top of the whip itself hitting for nearly the same damage as the spell.

Basically what I'm saying is Beastmaster owns and should show up in any future job based FF game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ShadeofDante posted:

So after winning using a Beastmaster for the first time I'm curious, does Berserk (status ailment) cause special weapons to proc abilities more often? The fire whip went from activating Firaga every four turns or so to working every time, on top of the whip itself hitting for nearly the same damage as the spell.

Basically what I'm saying is Beastmaster owns and should show up in any future job based FF game.

Play X-2.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Himuro posted:

Play X-2.

X-2's Beastmaster was especially interesting because the skills were all different for each character. I don't think any other job in that game did that.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Miracon posted:

X-2's Beastmaster was especially interesting because the skills were all different for each character. I don't think any other job in that game did that.

Mascot. The special Dresspheres. The job classes added in the International version as well.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Himuro posted:

Play X-2.

I'm actually in the middle of an X playthrough, and was planning on hopping on X-2 because I 1)can't remember anything about X-2 other than not Tidus and not Yuna or something 2) I hardly used any of the dress spheres and I'm really craving another good job FF game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

:c00l:

Wasn't really as hard as I expected to be honest. Took a few tries but in the end I expected a lot worse. Grand cross was the problem and cause of a few retries but once I was able to dispose of that part quickly the fight went more or less in my favor.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

:c00l:

Wasn't really as hard as I expected to be honest. Took a few tries but in the end I expected a lot worse. Grand cross was the problem and cause of a few retries but once I was able to dispose of that part quickly the fight went more or less in my favor.

Awesome, dude.

Since you beat the game already, I'm just going to throw this out there for anyone else who gets Beastmaster. A captured Shield Dragon casts Almagest when it's released, and capturing one is piss easy with a beastmaster and someone with !Control. Just something neat to think about.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I would actually think a Yellow Dragon would be more useful, as it uses Lightning to do 25% of all targets' max HP - for Neo-Ex, that's a guaranteed 9999 out the gate.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I would actually think a Yellow Dragon would be more useful, as it uses Lightning to do 25% of all targets' max HP - for Neo-Ex, that's a guaranteed 9999 out the gate.

Yeah, it's more just a fun gimmick than anything else. Not sure how useful it actually is.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Kyrosiris posted:

Giant Birds' Breath Wing is identical, and you can actually find Giant Birds in world 3. :ssh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I used Giant Bird (Rukh in the GBA translation) on ExDeath.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

I started a google doc here, everyone should contribute with the stuff they found useful so far so that more people can finish this thing. I've added a little about the four jobs I used and some general tips but it'd be nice if others contributed!

edit: it's actually editable now.

heartcatcher fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 21, 2012

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

:toot:

With White Mage/Black Mage/Ranger/Summoner it didn't really feel like a challenge, but this is the first time I beat FFV so I'm still happy about it. Not much more to say, I had healing, strong magic and physical attacks and defensive spells so I was free to experiment and find out what worked for each boss.

I had a lot of fun and I hope there is another next year!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Erakko posted:

I had a lot of fun and I hope there is another next year!

I believe there's one every year. :) Plus, you can re-register by tweeting at Gilgabot once you have your gold star. You just can't go back and take a crack at Shinryu or Omega once you do, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hey guys I think there's something wrong with my game. :ohdear:

Seriously, though, at the moment I'm at the final save point in the Rift. I think I'll tackle Neo-Exdeath and Shinryu tomorrow. Not sure if I'll give Omega a go or not. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hit the Earth Crystal today. Got Dragoon as my last job. A party of White Mage/Berserker/Bard/Dragoon doesn't seem half bad.

I ended up doing pretty well against Sand Worm. I kept my Berserker alive, despite recommendations not to, and he ended up getting five solid hits on the enemy, which helped out a lot and cut what could've been a half-hour fight down to fifteen minutes.

Soul Cannon ended up being heavily luck-based. All I could hope for was that my Berserkers would knock out his two side guns with as few of my characters hit with Old as possible. In my first run, he hit both my WHMs and one of my Berserkers with Old, and ended up outdamaging my heals. In my second run, he hit both my Berserkers with Old, and I just reset right there. Finally, in my last run he only targeted one of my White Mages and Berserkers, allowing my other WHM to keep HP topped off after his beam attack.

Archeoaevis was a joke. I've gained a new appreciation for Berserkers thanks to this fight.

In general, my Bard continues to be the star of random encounters. It helps that Lenna-Bard is the fastest character in my party, so I can always open with a Romeo's Ballad and then watch my Berserkers pick off the enemies one-by-one with their Death Sickles. In fact, I'm a bit disappointed that I'll have to replace one of them with a DRG, since that will lower the chances of getting Death to hit on enemies. But another damage dealer is a welcome addition to my party, especially one that's finally controllable.

Interesting fact: If I had gotten Red Mage instead of Berserker for my Fire Crystal job, I'd have a party of all four of my FFXI main jobs.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 21, 2012