Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Laser bullet is kicking my loving rear end. I shield the guy its aimed at and run as far away from him as possible and it still wipes my entire party every time. I warned him and let him do that "stay alive after KO" skill that Dunban has, and he revived everyone manually, but then the guy used laser bullet again and well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Laser bullet is kicking my loving rear end. I shield the guy its aimed at and run as far away from him as possible and it still wipes my entire party every time. I warned him and let him do that "stay alive after KO" skill that Dunban has, and he revived everyone manually, but then the guy used laser bullet again and well...

If this is the part that I'm thinking it is... You need to move from cover to cover before his attack goes off. It resets each time you hide from him, so you just have to slowly creep up on him. You may also want to constantly call your party members to you (I forgot the shortcut) so they don't get laser-d as well.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

No, the second time. When you fight that guy and there is no cover. He jumps into the sky and literally everywhere takes 10k damage

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Krinkle posted:

No, the second time. When you fight that guy and there is no cover. He jumps into the sky and literally everywhere takes 10k damage

Try using Sharla in the party if you are having trouble. Maybe it was just a fluke in my favor, but when I played that part he kept missing her with his death from above attack, just like in the cutscene immediately before the fight begins.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Thundarr posted:

You'll know you are there when a character explicitly tells you that you are at the point of no return and gives you a yes/no choice. You have a little ways to go yet.

And by "explicitly" Thundarr means "loving explicitly." There is no way in hell you'll miss it.

The wife and I arrived at the final boss last night. I think my two favorite parts so far (aside from "rikisneaky") are the deaths of Mumkhar and Dickson. Mumkhar's final line is just great--"NOT LIKE THIIIIIS!" And Dickson's "I'm not gonna give you the satisfaction of seeing me die..." is perfect. The voice acting is top-notch.

Any helpful hints about the final boss? The party is level 78ish, and I'm rolling with Shulk, Riki, and Reyn. Can't seem to take it down.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And by "explicitly" Thundarr means "loving explicitly." There is no way in hell you'll miss it.

The wife and I arrived at the final boss last night. I think my two favorite parts so far (aside from "rikisneaky") are the deaths of Mumkhar and Dickson. Mumkhar's final line is just great--"NOT LIKE THIIIIIS!" And Dickson's "I'm not gonna give you the satisfaction of seeing me die..." is perfect. The voice acting is top-notch.

Any helpful hints about the final boss? The party is level 78ish, and I'm rolling with Shulk, Riki, and Reyn. Can't seem to take it down.

It helps a lot if you can keep at least one party member standing behind him, so that Monado Combo doesn't wind up wiping your entire party in a single activation. That was my biggest issue when I fought him at the same level.

When he summons adds, you need to kill them ASAP, they'll seriously cause issues--save your Chain Attacks for this moment, I think he summons them every time he goes down a third of his health.

Aside from that... It's largely a full-force brawl to the end, you're fighting him at the point where he's a very challenging boss rather then a push-over, so don't worry if you need to make several attempts.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I ran with a similar team at a similar level, except Dundun instead of Reyn. I hadn't sidequested or gem crafted much, and it showed. I cobbled together what I could from gems I had, mained Riki (DoTs x4 + heal + Happy Happy + Hero Time + rikisneaky), and let Shulk and Dunban do their thing.

Park Riki on the far side of him from Dunban, for the sake of both his own back attack arts (and ensuing chain gauge benefits) and not being in the boss's attack cone. You should be able to maintain pretty much 100% uptime on Hero Time, which is very helpful for party tension.

I saved my blue bars for revivals or Monado Shield warnings (you did notice the additional B-button gimmick when it comes to visions, I assume?), since whenever I got confident enough to use a chain attack, it bit me in the rear end.

Focus down the adds when they show up, and don't be afraid to let Riki soak some hits by throwing around Burninate and Lurgy onto all of them. He's not a 9000 HP furball for no reason.

I assume most of this would work about as well with Reyn, though in my experience Reyn needs a bit more healing babysitting than Dunban does.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Thundarr posted:

The only real caveat for mega-heat is that you really need everything broken up into cylinders. And unless you leave two teammates at low affinity for one another, splitting things off into individual cylinders can be pretty annoying. I gave up trying to mega-heat Critical Up VI entirely for that reason.

At lower levels though, there's no reason to drive yourself nuts trying to MH stuff.

Not even. Shulk and Melia are chums, and I just throw a pile of seven random gems -- of which I only care about 3 or 4 in the end. Sometimes I'll do it with Sharla and hope for hitting green a few times. Seriously, say you're going for HP V or something using IV materials. Throw one HP gem and six other things you're less interested in, save what comes out. The odds of accidentally hitting 100 are slim, and you can get the most use out of each gem this way while tossing out the worthless gems; you'll always have plenty of poo poo materials, use them as buffer to massage the statistics if you're scared of nailing 100. At the end you get a few HP IV cylinders, some crap you might or might not want, then it's Shulk/Dunban and Reyn to work on the duplicates and get your MEGA HEAT.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My go-to gem crafting strategy (which I think someone came up with in this thread) is to pair Sharla and Riki to get cylinders, and then Shulk and Reyn to get gems. Just make sure you cram as many different effects in there as possible on the cylinder crafting phase and you should be able to get a high-number cylinder unless you're horribly unlucky with other party members butting in to help. From there I always get at least Heat on my actual gems, Mega Heat maybe 40-50% of the time.

VV I'm purposely keeping Sharla and Riki at low affinity for the time being in order to counter this. Granted, it's not airtight and I'm only halfway(?) through the game but it's been mostly successful.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2012

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You only get Critical Up V at 90%+, and always on a gem with some other effect. Even dumping 8 to 10 other random junk effects into the furnace, I went through 15 reloads and never managed to get a cylinder once. When the entire party is at max affinity, trying to cylinder any effect that starts that close to 100 is ridiculous thanks to everybody else jumping in to help.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My go-to gem crafting strategy (which I think someone came up with in this thread) is to pair Sharla and Riki to get cylinders, and then Shulk and Reyn to get gems.
In case it's of use to anyone, here is the guide he's referencing. (I still think it should go in the OP!)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

You only get Critical Up V at 90%+, and always on a gem with some other effect. Even dumping 8 to 10 other random junk effects into the furnace, I went through 15 reloads and never managed to get a cylinder once. When the entire party is at max affinity, trying to cylinder any effect that starts that close to 100 is ridiculous thanks to everybody else jumping in to help.

In that case, two such crystals are 180%+ Critical Up and a handful of other things. You've probably got better odds just trying to Mega Heat (which is only an increase of 120%) and hoping the boosts go to Critical Up rather than the other stuff, compared to your odds of cylinderizing Critical Up.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
This talk of final boss strategy makes me wish I'd hadn't fought him at level 96. Strategy doesn't matter when you're invincible.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vil posted:

In that case, two such crystals are 180%+ Critical Up and a handful of other things. You've probably got better odds just trying to Mega Heat (which is only an increase of 120%) and hoping the boosts go to Critical Up rather than the other stuff, compared to your odds of cylinderizing Critical Up.

Tried that too, and gave up after many tries of just barely making it due to the other bonus stealing some of the thunder. I suspect the guy who designed the gemcrafting system never really expected mega-heat to be nearly as frequent as players have managed to make it, though. He just wanted to give me some awesome crystals that were super easy to make into gems. :unsmith:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Does the bionis interior let me do collectables before or after the game ends?

Also, goddamn fiora's tits are ridiculous. I really feel uncomfortable every time she's in a cutscene. She's the youngest female and has the most out of proportion breasts, and also this outfit isn't helping. And also she is leaning exactly right to thrust them out at anyone's face when she pivots to talk to them. I spoilered this because maybe saying "seven's tits are insane" or w/e wouldn't help. I don't know. This is wildly inappropriate why are they doing this is what I'm saying. There is literally no subtlety here. TITS.

e: guess not? Got the message of no return.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 21, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Krinkle posted:

Also, goddamn fiora's tits are ridiculous. I really feel uncomfortable every time she's in a cutscene. She's the youngest female and has the most out of proportion breasts, and also this outfit isn't helping. And also she is leaning exactly right to thrust them out at anyone's face when she pivots to talk to them. I spoilered this because maybe saying "seven's tits are insane" or w/e wouldn't help. I don't know. This is wildly inappropriate why are they doing this is what I'm saying. There is literally no subtlety here. TITS.

Well, you don't have to use the light-type armor. :v: The look of it seems more like a reference to Xenosaga's KOS-MOS, who always showed about as much skin.
I think Vanea is far worse. The stylization of machina bodies makes it seem like they're not actually wearing clothes, so the choice of applying physics there makes it seem truly gratuitous.

In truth, you're right, there's no subtlety and the answer is skeevy art direction, but if you want to :spergin: it, you could say that being unnecessarily sexy in Xeno-world is just a normal thing. You've got Sharla and Melia with their cleavage, Dunban with one of his viable builds requiring that he be naked, Reyn's belly-shirt default costume. And Riki is a nudist. And Alvis stands really close when talking to people. And whatever the hell is going on with Lorithia. and and

On a completely unrelated, more comfortable note: Machina children are the most adorable things ever.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 21, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Mazed posted:

On a completely unrelated, more comfortable note: Machina children are the most adorable things ever.
:3: HOVER BABIES!!! :3:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Krinkle posted:

e: guess not? Got the message of no return.

If it makes you feel better, they're not real, and the "flesh" has visible seams iirc.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Thanks for the final boss tips. And yes, I did notice the "b" button mechanic. Missing those because you're having some water or something sucks :argh:

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone have a decent image of the greek star chart-looking "doodles" from the game? Like the ones surrounding the health bar window shown in this image? I'd like something a bit sharper for a project I'm working on.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is kind of a long shot, but does anyone have a decent image of the greek star chart-looking "doodles" from the game? Like the ones surrounding the health bar window shown in this image? I'd like something a bit sharper for a project I'm working on.

I went looking, as I could've sworn I've seen some clean shots of those somewhere, but no luck. Incidentally, though, I did stumble across this:

May this make up for it.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
HELP this game is too loving good and I'm scared. Not only do I think I'm going to have to wait at least ten years to play another JRPG that is as good as this, but I think the interaction between really fun combat, a lot of creature comforts, shitloads of everything to do, and a non-fucktarded story is going to retroactively ruin some of my favorite JRPGs like Xenogears, Skies of Arcadia, and Star Ocean 2. And I'm only at Frontier Town. The game keeps throwing new mechanics at me so god only knows how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Before. The collectables start spawning once you gain access to the rest of it, which is a story dungeon so don't worry about potentially missing it. If you haven't done it yet, you're not at the actual point of no return.

As for that other thing, I imagine you'll find the Speed IV stuff substantially less awkward to use. It's sold from a Nopon merchant that moves in one you max out Colony 6's Commerce.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I'll take the slightly lower defense of Speed IV over the embarrassment of Speed V any day. You get the Haste +45% gem in the body slot either way: it's no weaker at Speed IV level.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
So would people say that Alcamoth/the tombs are the low point of the game? I can't tell if it's that or if I'm getting burnt out, but I would say it's the combination of huge yet kind of empty city with few landmarks and a maze-like plain gray tomb that combined takes several hours is the real culprit.

Also, I'm curious if I'm at a proper level: is 40 about right for just finishing the tomb?

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

timeandtide posted:

So would people say that Alcamoth/the tombs are the low point of the game?
YES. Many people - myself included - have bitched about it at length. :) Fortunately, it's basically the last major sidequest dump in the game... the fifth "town" doesn't have nearly as much to bog you down. Subsequent areas also are more compressed/easier to navigate via landmarks. Alcamoth is an aberration in the game's design, honestly.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Unoriginal One posted:

As for that other thing, I imagine you'll find the Speed IV stuff substantially less awkward to use. It's sold from a Nopon merchant that moves in one you max out Colony 6's Commerce.

If I could reach through the Internet and hug you goddamnit I would. Thank you for your contribution to Clothes for Hoes.

edit: Just got the last items necessary for this--Riki congratulated himself after the last fight (against some fish in shallow water) despite the fact that all he did the whole time was tread water because his little legs couldn't touch the bottom.

It's okay, buddy. Sidekicks do real good :3:

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 21, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

No, see, the High Entia Tomb was deliberately boring pallid corridors as a clever little nod back to Xenogears, where almost every single dungeon was like that. :suicide:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

timeandtide posted:

So would people say that Alcamoth/the tombs are the low point of the game? I can't tell if it's that or if I'm getting burnt out, but I would say it's the combination of huge yet kind of empty city with few landmarks and a maze-like plain gray tomb that combined takes several hours is the real culprit.

Also, I'm curious if I'm at a proper level: is 40 about right for just finishing the tomb?

I'm sort of getting that vibe from Sword Valley, mostly because it's taken me two weeks to get through it due to having no play time. I'm anticipating some serious poo poo to go down in the next area too, which will hopefully be a good payoff.
And 40 is fine, the next bosses coming up are levels 40-42.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Yeah, Alcamoth was definitely the low point. The plot, what with the ROYAL COURT INTRIGUE was just something I hardly cared about. The climax of the section and accompanying plot twist was great, and I loved the snow area at night. Plus, I was a sucker for ice sliding. :v:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

UGHHHH iI hate these telethia that either physically push you into the death pits, or position their oblong bodies so that the sweet spot of those backstabs is just barely over the edge so you fall off trying to get it. I also hate how I'm not allowed to teleport or open up a menu or anything I have to slowly get digested until it will let me continue the game.

e: I got this gogol to half health and he won't get hit by anything. "aha, an aura" I say to myself. Another less powerful gogol joins in. I double attack him until I get monado back, then aura purge the first. "resist". What the gently caress? If you can resist my aura purge four times how the gently caress am I supposed to ever hit you ever? What advanced skill am I missing to make fighting a greed gogol possible? (or was greed the lesser one?z (double checking, I meant gluttony gogol))

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 21, 2012

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

If you want to reposition an enemy and you aren't controlling the tank, move away then call the other two party members to you, them tell them to attack again after the enemy follows.

No idea about the other thing though, I'm not that far yet.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Is it significantly higher level than you? That seems like very odd behavior.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The answer was to purge him early and often. I was 72 and he was 78?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Unoriginal One posted:

Can't find this little fucker. Anyone know his location?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Chieves posted:

Yeah, Alcamoth was definitely the low point. The plot, what with the ROYAL COURT INTRIGUE was just something I hardly cared about.

Did anything happen with that? It seemed to have been dropped pretty much right after you finish the dungeon.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Start at the main entrance facing into town, hang a left and go up some stairs. He's somewhere on the left.

Important to note is that Colony 6's merchants are not present 24/7 like most other merchants, and they each have their own hours. I forget when exactly this particular merchant is around.

Also, if you check the map (not minimap) of Colony 6, it'll have merchant icons to show all the merchant locations, whether or not they're currently spawned due to time of day. So you can just go to each of them and gently caress with the clock to get them to spawn, then check them out. (That said, you want one of the ones furthest to the lower right.)

EDIT: ^^^^ It mostly gets resolved behind the scenes at the time. There is an endgame sidequest - the only voiced sidequest in the game, in fact - that tackles a few lingering plot threads from it, though.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I thought mechonis core was the point of no return, but now I can teleport around and do side quests. If I beat the game, whatever that entails, do I still get to walk around and do side quests? Or is there a second point of no return that I should avoid?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Krinkle posted:

I thought mechonis core was the point of no return, but now I can teleport around and do side quests. If I beat the game, whatever that entails, do I still get to walk around and do side quests? Or is there a second point of no return that I should avoid?

There's a point where a party member will stop you and literally tell you "this is the final battle" and give you the option to stay or proceed. If you proceed you can't get out or even save. It's unmissable. The point you mentioned, Mechonis Core is the point of no return for Alcamoth timed quests.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

How do I get to prison island? It's all locked up and there are hell beasts flying around the teleporter in. I need to finish colony 6 :(

Just tell me I wasn't supposed to have farmed these items before unleashing the hell beasts and now it's too late forever. I am constantly expecting JRPGs to do this to me, probably because of final fantasy X-2 where I didn't pick up a button from a pile of rubble that you only get to by running away from the crowds and against the tutorial instructions in the first 30 seconds and it's then literally impossible to get "the good ending"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nathilus posted:

HELP this game is too loving good and I'm scared. Not only do I think I'm going to have to wait at least ten years to play another JRPG that is as good as this, but I think the interaction between really fun combat, a lot of creature comforts, shitloads of everything to do, and a non-fucktarded story is going to retroactively ruin some of my favorite JRPGs like Xenogears, Skies of Arcadia, and Star Ocean 2. And I'm only at Frontier Town. The game keeps throwing new mechanics at me so god only knows how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Temper your expectations. The game is still really well done, but the quality is not consistent throughout. The beginning is not representative of every section of the game.

You'll still have a blast. Skies of Arcadia is still probably better though :haw:

• Locked thread