Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Zinc Teeth posted:

How do you slice and serve something that tall?

Very carefully. :v: You're actually in luck -- I took a video of the cake cutting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjDpSmYthdk

It was surprisingly easy to cut the rest of the pieces, too. When you're getting down to the last third of the cake, it helps to have someone lightly hold the rest of the cake while you slice off a piece. I think the recipe says it serves 8, but those would be big pieces. I think we got 12 servings out of it. It's really rich, as you can imagine.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008

Rabbit Hill posted:

Very carefully. :v: You're actually in luck -- I took a video of the cake cutting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjDpSmYthdk

It was surprisingly easy to cut the rest of the pieces, too. When you're getting down to the last third of the cake, it helps to have someone lightly hold the rest of the cake while you slice off a piece. I think the recipe says it serves 8, but those would be big pieces. I think we got 12 servings out of it. It's really rich, as you can imagine.

I dunno, I think I'd hand out forks and let people got at it like a pack of wolves on an elk carcass.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can of you experts share an awesome swiss italian buttercream recipe with me?

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 21, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I haven't tried it myself but there's a somewhat in-depth article on making Italian buttercream over at the King Arthur blog.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This one is my favorite and a definite go to for me. I like how it doesn't melt easy being left out and it's light and airy.

Warren Brown posted:

Italian Meringue Buttercream - as in Warren Brown's Cake Love

5 large egg whites
10 oz extra fine granulated sugar (1 1/4 c.)
1/4 c cold water
1 lb room temp unsalted butter

Separate egg whites into a bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment.

Measure 1 c. sugar and the water into a heavy bottomed saucepan, stirring with a candy thermometer. Take remaining 1/4 c. sugar and set aside in a small bowl.

Cut butter into 1 TBSP pieces and set aside.

Make sugar syrup - heat sugar and water in the saucepan over mid-high heat. Partially cover with a lid to capture the evaporating water-this helps to moisten the sides of the saucepan to prevent sugar crystals from forming.

With the mixer on high, begin whipping egg whites to stiff peaks.

Keep mixer running and add the 1/4 c. of sugar into the egg whites.

Raise the heat under the sugar syrup until it reaches 245F. When at temp, slowly pour the syrup down the sides of your mixer bowl into the meringue while mixing.

After 1-2 minutes, reduce mixer speed to medium for 3-4 minutes, or until the meringue is cooled. Add the butter 1 TBSP at a time. Increase mixer speed to high for 1-2 minutes, or until the butter is fully incorporated.

Add fresh berries, melted chocolate, liquor/liqueurs, or extracts for added flavors.

Stuff it all in your face and don't leave any for the cake.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone have a good recipe for a really basic chocolate cake (with frosting)?

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like this recipe for chocolate cake, but I haven't tried the frosting it suggests.

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?utm_source=redirect&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=Redirect-recipes%20%28asp%29&id=184

This is the buttercream recipe I always use to frost it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jacques-torres/basic-buttercream-recipe/index.html

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was really pleased with the Instant Fudge frosting from SmittenKitchen.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Awesome, thanks, it looks simple enough, although adding the boiling water to the batter seems kind of odd to me.

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.
It is kind of weird, and it will look WAY too runny (careful you don't spray your kitchen with chocolate drips like I did the first time), but it works out, and is super moist after you bake it. I always use dark chocolate, but that's just me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fight Club posted:

It is kind of weird, and it will look WAY too runny (careful you don't spray your kitchen with chocolate drips like I did the first time), but it works out, and is super moist after you bake it. I always use dark chocolate, but that's just me.

Well, I just prepared half the ingredients for a smaller test run and it doesn't even look like cake, the battery I mean. It had the consistency of something more like chocolate milk. But I guess I'll find out in about half an hour if it turned out good. Hopefully it does because I need to bake the real cake tomorrow morning.

E: poo poo, I just realized I didn't halve the amount of boiling water. Maybe that's why :(

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well, I just prepared half the ingredients for a smaller test run and it doesn't even look like cake, the battery I mean. It had the consistency of something more like chocolate milk. But I guess I'll find out in about half an hour if it turned out good. Hopefully it does because I need to bake the real cake tomorrow morning.

E: poo poo, I just realized I didn't halve the amount of boiling water. Maybe that's why :(

If this version doesn't work out for you, their Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake is my go-to recipe (that I was blabbing about a few posts up), along with the buttercream frosting (I skip the crushed peppermint candy). I usually use dark cocoa for the cake and split the layers so I can put jam or mint filling in them and it always comes out really good.

Ohgod I just realized I've never thought to put peanut butter in them ...

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

cocoavalley posted:

If this version doesn't work out for you, their Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake is my go-to recipe (that I was blabbing about a few posts up), along with the buttercream frosting (I skip the crushed peppermint candy). I usually use dark cocoa for the cake and split the layers so I can put jam or mint filling in them and it always comes out really good.

Holy poo poo that looks good. I don't have access to specific Hersheys brand cocoa, I assume the regular ol' cocoa powder from the supermarket will do the trick? So I'd use like 2/3 cup regular cocoa powder in place of Hersheys?

And how would you use/make mint filling, that sounds amazing.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Fraction posted:

Holy poo poo that looks good. I don't have access to specific Hersheys brand cocoa, I assume the regular ol' cocoa powder from the supermarket will do the trick? So I'd use like 2/3 cup regular cocoa powder in place of Hersheys?

And how would you use/make mint filling, that sounds amazing.

Oh yes, any cocoa powder is fine, use whatever suits your taste.

I've done a couple different things for mint filling, white buttercream frosting or white chocolate ganache, either flavored with creme de menthe liquor (no reason you couldn't put the booze in the chocolate versions of those, too). You can use mint extract instead or along with the liquor, but it is much stronger and easier to overdo it. I usually play it by ear, I think last time I used a Tbsp of the creme de menthe and a 1/2 tsp of extract to half of a buttercream recipe (that normally yields enough to frost a two-layer cake). I like strong mint though, so you might want to start with less, you can always add more. The only thing to be aware of with the buttercream is that too much added liquid can make it runny (thus the addition of extract instead of more liquor). The ganache was trickier because you have to let it cool enough that it can't be so easily poured, but still warm enough to spread. You don't want it running out of the layers.

I use a bread knife to split the baked cake layers and then sandwich the filling in them so they are whole again, then frost and stack them as usual.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Thanks for the help, cocoavalley :) Made that cake today and it was amazing. I was out of icing sugar so couldn't make any buttercream frosting for it, but I will make mint flavoured icing for it when I make the cake again soon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My cake passed the test! Sorry no pictures, forgot to take them before I brought it to my friend's office (it was her birthday) and it was devoured immediately. The only thing I did differently was that I just used one pan, because it's all I had, but I didn't adjust the ingredients accordingly. Luckily it all stayed put and didn't overflow but the center didn't end up cooking fully probably because it was so thick. On the other hand, my friend said it was awesome that I did it like that because she likes it that way so yep, all's good.

I also didn't use Hershey's cocoa powder to the guy asking. I just used whatever we had in the kitchen, and it was just fine.

The frosting I also followed but I thought it was way too sweet. Maybe less sugar next time.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Fraction posted:

Thanks for the help, cocoavalley :) Made that cake today and it was amazing. I was out of icing sugar so couldn't make any buttercream frosting for it, but I will make mint flavoured icing for it when I make the cake again soon.

Glad to help! Yes, it is good all by itself. Though it bakes pretty level, whenever I trim the layers the scraps barely have a chance to hit the countertop :)

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I made a chess cake for my boyfriend's birthday a few days ago. The chess pieces were molded from white and dark chocolate. The cake itself was a black magic cake with raspberry/blackberry filling and topped with vanilla and chocolate buttercream.

It was and still is delicious.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Haven't been in the kitchen for a while, but when I made my return, it was glorious:

Tim Bit cupcakes. Yes, those are tim bits baked right inside. :canada:

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

PezMaster posted:

Haven't been in the kitchen for a while, but when I made my return, it was glorious:

Tim Bit cupcakes. Yes, those are tim bits baked right inside. :canada:

Oh my god those must taste like heaven! I'm going to go ahead and assume those are for today! As a Canadian, I've never been more proud :canada:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Lagkage.

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

MMMMM lagkage... What did you put in it?

Edit: Also that chess cake, wauw

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Just redcurrants! I've heard some people use jelly in the layers but I did it the way my mom taught me.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
It's not a masterpiece, but the cake we made for my baby shower was a success with everyone. It would have had a lot more polish if I didn't put everything off until the last second! The cake is super delicious and moist and the sweetest strawberry flavor I've ever had.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Great concept, love the variation on the sperm faces. What was the cake recipe?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Embarrassingly it is box cake. Replace the water in the recipe with juice and some strawberries from a frozen strawberry tub. Add a package of strawberry jello mix. The icing is mixed with the leftover strawberries from the tub.

There was a picture taken of my husband trying to feed me a sperm in front of friends and family. My mother encouraged it.

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack

here's a cake i made with my brother on the weekend for a friends' birthday.
the bottom layer is chocolate cake with caramel,
top layer is something called a 'Tanzanie' cake, a good idea of what that is can be found here http://saycheese-gourmet.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/tanzanie-cake.html unfortunately the recipe doesn't seem to be online anywhere, but if you like vanilla and want to try something similar you could make this http://tvnz.co.nz/masterchef-australia/ep-79-v8-cake-3912066 as it's just as fun to make.

anyways, the horse cake above is wrapped in a white chocolate collar (the pink horses are made using coloured cocoa butter and a stencil.
the horse on top is made of modelling chocolate.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's strawberry season in Germany, so I said to some coworkers that I might try making a strawberry cake and now they're expecting one :shobon

Are there any goon-approved cake recipes that call for fresh strawberries? All the recipes I've been finding use jell-o or frozen when I've got access to fresh and juicy ones.

e: This one or this one seem interesting.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 18, 2012

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.

Mango Polo posted:

It's strawberry season in Germany, so I said to some coworkers that I might try making a strawberry cake and now they're expecting one :shobon

Are there any goon-approved cake recipes that call for fresh strawberries? All the recipes I've been finding use jell-o or frozen when I've got access to fresh and juicy ones.

e: This one or this one seem interesting.

I've used the second one quite a few times and I really like it personally. I've used fresh berries and frozen and I prefer frozen for now (we don't get good strawberries in Guam) but when I'm home (Florida) I use fresh and it's amazing. With that recipe I've always used the whole eggs, also.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

The Heartless posted:

I've used the second one quite a few times and I really like it personally. I've used fresh berries and frozen and I prefer frozen for now (we don't get good strawberries in Guam) but when I'm home (Florida) I use fresh and it's amazing. With that recipe I've always used the whole eggs, also.

That's the one I was going to use if no one had recommendations, so great! I have a kilo of fresh strawberries, going to prepare the cake tonight :)

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Some thing with raspberry curd and rose-scented buttercream.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a yellow cake recipe? The one I used here is just awful.

Sloth Head
Oct 27, 2004

Greetings.
strawberry shortcake cake - 3 layers of sponge cake with whipped cream and strawberries.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...
clarabelle, two of your threadless cakes were featured on Cakewrecks' Sunday Sweets today!

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

mick ohio posted:

clarabelle, two of your threadless cakes were featured on Cakewrecks' Sunday Sweets today!

I was just coming here to post about it. Ridiculously pleased about it. I know my chances of winning anything are drat slim (that goddamn balloon cake, I'm stupidly jealous), but this will do me fine

I haven't posted my entries in a while, but I'm quite proud of this one: http://www.threadcakes.com/entries/view/1452

(Just not proud enough to show my parents, that's a conversation I'd rather not have)

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 29, 2012

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I don't have a chance in hell, so i didn't even post my cake.
Next year I'll make something better.

Here's what I made, but didn't enter into the contest:

The inside is rainbowcake, and it's all cake, except 4 drinking straws supporting it.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

tekopp posted:

I don't have a chance in hell, so i didn't even post my cake.
Next year I'll make something better.

Here's what I made, but didn't enter into the contest:

The inside is rainbowcake, and it's all cake, except 4 drinking straws supporting it.

Which design was it going to be?

I thought I stood a fighting chance at one of the runner-up prizes, but looking at some of the other entries, it seems less and less likely.

I'm doing one last cake this week, really not sure how it's going to turn out though

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Your cakes are awesome! I'm sure you''ll get a prize.

It's the Xylosaurus. http://www.threadless.com/product/2725/Xylosaurus
I made it for my daughters second birthday, and she loved it :)

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
That xylosaur is adorable :3:

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
Peanut Dacquoise with Peanut Butter Mousse:

Strawberry-Lavender Buckwheat Cake with Lemon Curd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalfPricePimpSuit
May 26, 2008
I always forget to post the cakes I make every year for my nephews birthday. This year, I made popcorn cupcakes. I ordered the most awesome wrappers and made the toppers. The marshmallows took about 3 hours to cut, pinch, dip in powdered sugar then hand paint. Two bags later:

I stupidly doubled the recipe, so I ended up with 36 cupcakes in total. I didn't get to take good photos of the cupcakes, so all I have is an Instagram picture my friend took:

I got the biggest hugs from my nephew :3: Everyone enjoyed them, except his bratty friend. Took one bite then trashed it. His mother told me he hates sweets, but he took one anyway? Mind you, I've seen this kid chug a Mt. Dew. These cupcakes took so long to make, so seeing that sucked. :(

I've caught the baking bug again, so I'm thinking about making my sister a cake for her birthday in September. I'm thinking Boston cream cupcakes.

• Locked thread