Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Zhentar posted:

I'd steer clear of sketchy cheap PCI SATA cards, especially if you're not running windows. Just because it conforms to a fast interface specification doesn't mean the controller won't pull bullshit that makes it perform worse than a dying 4200RPM laptop drive (yes, this is first hand experience).

I kind of wondered about that. Thanks for the heads up. Now back to abusing the poo poo out of this Debian install. I wanted mint, but no. It wouldn't listen to my pleas to force vesa and the noveau driver is death. Trying to beat maya into wheezy. Probably won't work but I couldn't give a poo poo. this is still a test insteall to see how the SSD goes. Slow SATA controller aside it's performing brilliantly by the way. Even with that from the bootloader I'm ready to log in in under 10 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
My 256GB Crucial SSD Came today! Paid $174 for it, which is less than what I paid for my 120gb OCZ almost exactly a year ago. I'm glad to get a more reliable drive in my computer - My OCZ failed about 4 months after I got it and I've been doing nightly backups ever since. The new drive has been much more reliable, but I ran out of space (400mb currently free) so I needed something bigger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Make sure it has the 0309 firmware

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose
It has 000F, which appears to be newer than 0309 (or at least I think)... is that bad?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wasn't aware there was another update. Thanks. I'm sure it's fine.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
So if I'm just cloning my current hard drive, can I preemptively enable AHCI or should I just do it after the fact?

If I'm cloning my entire drive, is there anything I really need to do other than...the cloning?

edit: Also, what's the best option for cloning a drive? I'm leaning towards EASEUS, since it's free and seems fairly solid. Also considering CloneZilla.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 21, 2012

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Elysiume posted:

So if I'm just cloning my current hard drive, can I preemptively enable AHCI or should I just do it after the fact?

If you're not already running in AHCI mode, you need to make sure Windows (I presume..) is ready to operate with it enabled. So: no. Clone the drive, prepare your OS, enable AHCI.

Earl of Lavender fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 21, 2012

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Well... I feel better now.

These things finally died on me the other day. I've got a 120gb Intel 330 on the way as a replacement :3:

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

j3rkstore posted:

These things finally died on me the other day. I've got a 120gb Intel 330 on the way as a replacement :3:

I can't believe they sent them to you like that in the first place. loving OCZ.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

TwoKnives posted:

They arrived fine, he just forgot to update the firmware. :v:

CrazedEwok
Sep 14, 2011

Aaa, my face
So, I've been out of the building game for a few years, but now I've ordered my first SSD (128GB). I'm planning on installing Windows 7 to it along with a few programs that run at startup. I'll be using a larger HDD for other applications and files. My question is aside from the partition containing Windows and those programs, would it behoove me to set aside some space on the SSD for Smart Response even though I actually have the OS installed to it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CrazedEwok posted:

So, I've been out of the building game for a few years, but now I've ordered my first SSD (128GB). I'm planning on installing Windows 7 to it along with a few programs that run at startup. I'll be using a larger HDD for other applications and files. My question is aside from the partition containing Windows and those programs, would it behoove me to set aside some space on the SSD for Smart Response even though I actually have the OS installed to it?

No. Just install every application you can to the SSD until you have like 30GB or something left.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

I won't be receiving my SSD until Monday, thanks UPS, but I plan to do a clean install and use my old 640gb hdd for storage. I already had AHCI enabled with my old drive but is there anything else I need to do other than plug in the sata cable when I get the SSD?

I want to put win 7 and a few games on the SSD like Skyrim, Civ V, and Diablo. How do I get steam to install games on different drives?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Glumwheels posted:

I won't be receiving my SSD until Monday, thanks UPS, but I plan to do a clean install and use my old 640gb hdd for storage. I already had AHCI enabled with my old drive but is there anything else I need to do other than plug in the sata cable when I get the SSD?
Just make absolutely sure you have no other harddrives connected when you install Windows on the SSD, aside from that no.

Bonus explanatory edit: This is because Windows will stuff the boot loader on the hard drive you don't want it on, thus preventing the system from booting in the future if you remove the drive.

quote:

I want to put win 7 and a few games on the SSD like Skyrim, Civ V, and Diablo. How do I get steam to install games on different drives?
You can't, but you can use SteamMover to move non-Valve games (because the game data is in a cache file, not a folder) after the fact. Since you only got a 120GB SSD, install Steam to your harddrive and use SteamMover to move over the games you want to load quickly.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 22, 2012

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Alereon posted:

Just make absolutely sure you have no other harddrives connected when you install Windows on the SSD, aside from that no.
You can't, but you can use SteamMover to move non-Valve games (because the game data is in a cache file, not a folder) after the fact. Since you only got a 120GB SSD, install Steam to your harddrive and use SteamMover to move over the games you want to load quickly.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

edit: Also, should I move the page file to the HDD?

Glumwheels fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 22, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Alereon posted:

you can use SteamMover to move non-Valve games (because the game data is in a cache file, not a folder) after the fact. Since you only got a 120GB SSD, install Steam to your harddrive and use SteamMover to move over the games you want to load quickly.
I moved DOTA2 to my SSD with SteamMover and it's a Valve game :confused:

Was that a bad thing to do? It seems to be working fine.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
motherf... This lovely motherboard doesn't support AHCI. My old one did though, and SATA2. Welp the best I can do is grab any optimisations I have left. About the only one is changing the scheduling. I did it already but it didn't stick. Have to investigate why.

I also did an aftermarket mod to the SanDisk SSD. It's in the form of a small square of cloth tape to hold the data cable in. It's all good now.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Glumwheels posted:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

edit: Also, should I move the page file to the HDD?

No, you want the page file to be on your super fast SSD, not on the slow HDD.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Syrinxx posted:

I think he's just pointing out that even though the program is called SteamMover, you can use it for non-steam games.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Syrinxx posted:

I just checked and apparently unlike other Valve games DOTA 2 does not use game cache files. It doesn't hurt anything to move Valve games using SteamMover, but also doesn't DO anything because the actual game data is contained in a several gigabyte GCF in the Steamapps directory, rather than in a folder (and SteamMover works on folders).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

fletcher posted:

No, you want the page file to be on your super fast SSD, not on the slow HDD.

I had a massive internal battle about swap. Decided to put one on the SSD in the end. I figure I have 4gb of RAM. It'll barely get used unless it's needed. If it is, it'll probably be more reads than writes.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
My only experience with SSDs has been cloning from a Raptor to a Kingston v100+ or some such. I think the performance difference is noticeable.

I've never dealt with RAID on my desktop but considering 256GB drives are out, would doing a 4x256GB RAID 0 on the drives be a good idea for a volume that would contain games?

I know RAID 0 has no redundancy but since SSDs pretty much eliminated most drive failure causes, I would surmise that the resilience of RAID 0 is much higher than before.

Any goons can shed a light on this?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Unless you have an Intel, Crucial, Samsung, or some varieties of Toshiba drive, SSDs fail at pretty much the same rate as hard drives.

OCZ drives fail at about the same rate as IBM Deskstars.

Basically, RAID 0 is not recommended pretty much ever.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Unless you have an Intel, Crucial, Samsung, or some varieties of Toshiba drive, SSDs fail at pretty much the same rate as hard drives.

OCZ drives fail at about the same rate as IBM Deskstars.

Basically, RAID 0 is not recommended pretty much ever.

SSDs fail at the same rate as HDDs?? WTF?
People have had hard drives failing on them at alarming rates for the past 30 years.

SSDs boast their durable, solid-state-ness. You should be able to read/write to them while beating them with a hammer constantly for more years than you'd ever want to use them. They're also pretty new, how can there be data already stating they are just as lovely as the HDD designs that started coming out in the 1980s?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Because OCZ

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Xenomorph posted:

SSDs fail at the same rate as HDDs?? WTF?
People have had hard drives failing on them at alarming rates for the past 30 years.

SSDs boast their durable, solid-state-ness. You should be able to read/write to them while beating them with a hammer constantly for more years than you'd ever want to use them. They're also pretty new, how can there be data already stating they are just as lovely as the HDD designs that started coming out in the 1980s?
HDD failure rates have been pretty consistent between brands, models, and capacities for quite some time, with the notable exceptions of Seagate's firmware issues (I think it's been long enough that we can just call it "consistently lovely firmware") and the occasional bad model. Flash drives have sold in massive volumes and spent quite some time in service, so we've had enough time to get statistics showing failure rates similar to harddrives, with the exception of Intel that is significantly lower and OCZ that is vastly higher. This makes sense, as many harddrive failures are the result of failures in the electronics, not mechanical components. Sandforce-based drives have the advantage of not having any DRAM to fail, but that hasn't shown up as a meaningful factor as far as anyone can tell. Harddrives do start to wear out after the five year mark, so it will be interesting to see how SSD reliability differs in the VERY long term.

Edit: I removed the last bit as I was pessimistically remembering endurance test results.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 22, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alereon posted:

HDD failure rates have been pretty consistent between brands, models, and capacities for quite some time, with the notable exceptions of Seagate's firmware issues (I think it's been long enough that we can just call it "consistently lovely firmware") and the occasional bad model.
From what I've seen, that Seagate firmware issue was the result of a minor oversight which was hard to pin down and they had a mishap releasing the "fix", but all is now well. I know this is the SSD thread, but I'm looking to buy a $50 HDD to replace my laptop's failing HDD, and my options are pretty much this Seagate and this Western Digital.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 22, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alereon posted:

Harddrives do start to wear out after the five year mark

That said, when clearing out our office, we found a Mac Performa 630, and it booted up fine. I'm pretty sure it has a 500MB HDD. Monstrous. I guess the very low density might help in some way for reliability. Of course I know there are always exceptions, I just thought it was a fun anecdote. People now are so used to seeing many times that on a USB stick or a microSD card.

vv Yeah, I realise that, it was just neat when we pulled it out and it all worked

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 22, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

That said, when clearing out our office, we found a Mac Performa 630, and it booted up fine. I'm pretty sure it has a 500MB HDD. Monstrous. I guess the very low density might help in some way for reliability. Of course I know there are always exceptions, I just thought it was a fun anecdote. People now are so used to seeing many times that on a USB stick or a microSD card.

The "age" of a hard drive means nothing. The uptime and the operational conditions, both internal and external have a massive bearing. I have a couple of 5MB Seagate MFM drives kicking around. Not only are they old PC hard drives. They are the first PC hard drives. They would probably spin right up and happily gronk and whir their way along booting DOS 3 and loading a rousing game of Sopwith. My ATA Seagate had according to S.M.A.R.T. and roughly agreed on by my experience, about 7 years of uptime. It only just started to get cranky while living here.

Spinners can be fine depending on use and conditions. Sort of like video tapes.

By the way, still happy with my SanDisk. The lack of people complaining about it online I take as a good sign. Well, except a thread which included a SanDisk employee where nobody knew wtf regarding TRIM in linux.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

j3rkstore posted:

Insert joke about OCZ pioneering the self destructing SSD before Runcore.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

TwoKnives posted:

I laughed out hard at this. :3:

I've just pulled the trigger on a 330 180GB. Finally getting a SSD!

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Just purchased a new SSD for a new system I am building for a friend. I have an OCZ (that has lasted me for over a year surprisingly) in my system and I get about half the speeds compared to this 256GB Crucial M4. Really, really fast... highly recommended!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Newegg has the Crucial M4 512GB with Transfer Kit for $354.99, or $0.69/GB, with free shipping.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Speaking of recommended, recommend me a linux benchmarker please? I know, my motherboard's hardware limitations get in the way. I just want to see what I am getting. The Gnome hardware and benchmarking thing seemed adequate in Debian but I can't find it in LMDE.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

General_Failure posted:

Speaking of recommended, recommend me a linux benchmarker please? I know, my motherboard's hardware limitations get in the way. I just want to see what I am getting. The Gnome hardware and benchmarking thing seemed adequate in Debian but I can't find it in LMDE.

http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html

Use hdparm and the seeker.c program from that page

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

That's one hell of a deal, but just think: this is the beginning of a price slide for the > 256GB drives. Hopefully these guys will be down to $250 or lower by Christmas. At $250/512GB or $125/256GB, there would be zero excuse to buy a spinning disk for almost anything but bulk storage.

Constantly LARPing
Aug 30, 2006

So my second Mushkin Chronos 120 GB died on me today. The first one died in about two weeks, and this one in under two months. Am I just unlucky, or is it time to cut my losses and invest in a Crucial or Intel or something and just use the RMAd Mushkin for backup?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Constantly LARPing posted:

So my second Mushkin Chronos 120 GB died on me today. The first one died in about two weeks, and this one in under two months. Am I just unlucky, or is it time to cut my losses and invest in a Crucial or Intel or something and just use the RMAd Mushkin for backup?

Mine has been alive three months, no issues yet. 240GB version

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Constantly LARPing posted:

That kind of failure rate would be considered unlucky but unremarkable for harddrives, so I'd say you were just unfortunate. I don't think there's any evidence that the Mushkin drives are less reliable than other brands with the current firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

FYI: Amazon Prime and Buy.com have this same deal going right now too.

If I had anywhere to put it I would totally buy another one. It has made my 2009 MBP feel like a brand new computer.

• Locked thread