Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The interesting thing is that those guys running the clock are employed by the NHL. It's also not the only time this happened at Staples Center during a Kings game. The people who make the clocks are also contracted by the NHL.

Game against the avs where the clock messed up, a few weeks before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTGWoDEMwQ

I guess at the end of the day it's good that the Flames missed out on the 8th seed by more than a point, because this would have been a way bigger deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

What is considered a "go ahead goal"?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

AboveAndBeyond posted:

A goal that breaks a tie, usually late in the game.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Wolfy posted:

The interesting thing is that those guys running the clock are employed by the NHL. It's also not the only time this happened at Staples Center during a Kings game. The people who make the clocks are also contracted by the NHL.

Game against the avs where the clock messed up, a few weeks before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gTGWoDEMwQ

I guess at the end of the day it's good that the Flames missed out on the 8th seed by more than a point, because this would have been a way bigger deal.

Yhea, this happens because the digital clock, who are operated by the TV-provider, syncs up with the game clock (that works on a much more reliable way, AND are operated by NHL officials) at certain times. The digital clock will stop for a while if it is ahead of the "real" clock. And It happens in more arenas than just the Staple Center.

Sorry that I can't give the spesifics, because I can't remember them. Some people just like to wear their tinfoil hat and belive everything is a conspiracy, when almost everything has mudane explanations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

Yhea, this happens because the digital clock, who are operated by the TV-provider, syncs up with the game clock (that works on a much more reliable way, AND are operated by NHL officials) at certain times. The digital clock will stop for a while if it is ahead of the "real" clock. And It happens in more arenas than just the Staple Center.

Sorry that I can't give the spesifics, because I can't remember them. Some people just like to wear their tinfoil hat and belive everything is a conspiracy, when almost everything has mudane explanations.

Someone around here said it's because the TV clock uses OCR on the official clock, and the text parsing goes to poo poo when there's a decimal place. It happens all over the place.. though I do feel like I notice it more at certain arenas.

Seems like a reasonable explanation. NHL probably doesn't want to expose their game equipment to prying hands so forces the TV crews to point a camera at it.

Kimasu v2.0
Jan 19, 2001
Forum Veteran

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I just figured out a few months ago that it means the goal/point/score that literally made the team "go ahead" of the other team.

I've been a long time sports fan, and it seems like broadcasters use this saying in every sport. I wondered how I could have never found that out before? Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not the only one.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Insertnamehere31 posted:

If a player is in the penalty box at the end of an overtime, can they participate in a shootout?

As others said, yes unless they are serving a 10 minute (or game, obviously) misconduct penalty.

Minor and major penalties are designed to penalize the team as a whole despite it being an individual player who serves them. If players in the box for a minor or major couldn't participate in a shoot-out, it would be sort of unfair to players who are serving penalties for other players or the bench. Misconduct penalties penalize only the player in a direct sense. That's kind of why.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 19, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

thehustler posted:

I went to see my first live games a few months ago and found that sitting in the 200s was the best in terms of seeing the action but not feeling like the players were little ants.
The last Pens game I was at, we were sitting in literally the last row (I think it is P or Q) in the upper deck (at consol energy center) and the seats were still really good. I can imagine that the front row of the upper deck is even better. The previous game I was at we were sitting in row 2, and half of the game is spent looking at the scoreboard, because if the action isn't right in front of you, you can't really see it at all. At least on the side, where we were. Maybe sitting in the end would fix that.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

myron cope posted:

The last Pens game I was at, we were sitting in literally the last row (I think it is P or Q) in the upper deck (at consol energy center) and the seats were still really good. I can imagine that the front row of the upper deck is even better. The previous game I was at we were sitting in row 2, and half of the game is spent looking at the scoreboard, because if the action isn't right in front of you, you can't really see it at all. At least on the side, where we were. Maybe sitting in the end would fix that.

I've never had problems at Consol, though I've mainly sat on the corners, both lower and upper bowl (student rush). Even in the ends though I've never had problems. There's really not a bad seat in that building (as far as I've seen). I'd imagine that any seats right up near the glass would be an awesome experience but give you a pretty poor idea of what's actually going on, though.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Look Around You posted:

I've never had problems at Consol, though I've mainly sat on the corners, both lower and upper bowl (student rush). Even in the ends though I've never had problems. There's really not a bad seat in that building (as far as I've seen). I'd imagine that any seats right up near the glass would be an awesome experience but give you a pretty poor idea of what's actually going on, though.

I've been on the glass for the general admission college games they had there. It is really nice to be on the glass, but I just hate not being able to see the other end very well. I'll take upper bowl any day, where I have never had a bad seat.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

dms666 posted:

I've been on the glass for the general admission college games they had there. It is really nice to be on the glass, but I just hate not being able to see the other end very well. I'll take upper bowl any day, where I have never had a bad seat.

Mid/upper row seating in the lower bowl (rows L+) is the best ever. You're close enough that you get a good feel of the game but up enough that you can see plays develop pretty well (if you know what to look for). Upper bowl is awesome for that too though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Sitting on the glass is pretty cool to do at least once, so you get an idea of the player's size and speed, but it is lovely for actually following the game.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

Look Around You posted:

Mid/upper row seating in the lower bowl (rows L+) is the best ever. You're close enough that you get a good feel of the game but up enough that you can see plays develop pretty well (if you know what to look for). Upper bowl is awesome for that too though.

Yeah, as long as you're not sitting below the top of the glass, you're good pretty much.

e: row 11+ at the Gahden, I think.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Someone around here said it's because the TV clock uses OCR on the official clock, and the text parsing goes to poo poo when there's a decimal place. It happens all over the place.. though I do feel like I notice it more at certain arenas.

Seems like a reasonable explanation. NHL probably doesn't want to expose their game equipment to prying hands so forces the TV crews to point a camera at it.

:psyduck:

There are so many better ways to code that. gently caress.

EDIT:

Hell, even the way they used to do it in the 80s-90s is better. Just have a little insert with the ACTUAL SHOT of the camera on the goddamned time.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 20, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

:psyduck:

There are so many better ways to code that. gently caress.

Ways that are better that do not require the arena to provide a wire hookup for the TV crew?

Because I imagine that would be the sticking point. They don't want to deal with interface problems.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Ways that are better that do not require the arena to provide a wire hookup for the TV crew?

Because I imagine that would be the sticking point. They don't want to deal with interface problems.
Well, yeah, the best way would be to have a separate "out" port for the TV guys, but of course the NHL doesn't want people loving around with official game poo poo.

I guess I do some much image processing for my job as it is, I just can't imagine that there's *that* much of a problem reading the decimal. I guess I'm just used to high resolution cameras from telescopes though?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Well, yeah, the best way would be to have a separate "out" port for the TV guys, but of course the NHL doesn't want people loving around with official game poo poo.

I guess I do some much image processing for my job as it is, I just can't imagine that there's *that* much of a problem reading the decimal. I guess I'm just used to high resolution cameras from telescopes though?

Consider also that 1:00 becomes 0:10 becomes 9.9, so you'd have to special case it to occur exactly at the difference between 0:10 and 9.9. That's not to say it's impossible, but it may be part of what fucks it up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I think it's just lovely code/implementation.

There was a behind the scenes story on how they do the first down line overlay during NFL games, and the program looked atrocious. The gui used a bunch of W95 era buttons (and this was just a few years ago), and the user had a picture of a football field that he clicked and dragged a line around to tell the system where to draw the lines. None of it was automated, poor bastard had to watch a feed of the game, wait for the refs to spot the ball, and then update the interface.

Point being, I think sports broadcasting is much more of a "results oriented" business than academic research. They don't care how stupid the route is to get where they want, as long as they get there.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
NBC and the NHL have a two billion dollar contract yet they can't make a clock work right between them. It's a highly visible problem, something that everyone sees and pays attention to, and it's kind of embarrassing. I understand that the behind-the-scenes stuff is more complicated than a typical clock, but it's not rocket science or relocation...

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I think it's just lovely code/implementation.

There was a behind the scenes story on how they do the first down line overlay during NFL games, and the program looked atrocious. The gui used a bunch of W95 era buttons (and this was just a few years ago), and the user had a picture of a football field that he clicked and dragged a line around to tell the system where to draw the lines. None of it was automated, poor bastard had to watch a feed of the game, wait for the refs to spot the ball, and then update the interface.

Point being, I think sports broadcasting is much more of a "results oriented" business than academic research. They don't care how stupid the route is to get where they want, as long as they get there.

:stare:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Thufir posted:

Sitting on the glass is pretty cool to do at least once, so you get an idea of the player's size and speed, but it is lovely for actually following the game.

The game I was sitting in row 2 was against the Lightning. Marty St. Louis is amazingly small :psyduck:

(I know he looks small on TV but :drat:)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

JetsGuy posted:

I think that as for the usual slight lagginess that the TV clock shows when they're showing the decimals, the issue is the physical clock display not refreshing the entire digits fast enough and so you don't get a complete, legible digit for the OCR to read until say halfway through current tenth of a second for certain digit changes, and that makes it sort of sway a bit.

What that doesn't explain, however, is the clock stopping and then a short moment later continuing from that time, twice (instead of freezing and then catching up), as witnessed in the Kings-Avs video: it takes 12 full seconds in real time for the clock to go from 09.5 -> 00.0. No amount of OCR quirks should cause that.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 20, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zat posted:

I think that as for the usual slight lagginess that the TV clock shows when they're showing the decimals, the issue is the physical clock display not refreshing the entire digits fast enough and so you don't get a complete, legible digit for the OCR to read until say halfway through current tenth of a second for certain digit changes, and that makes it sort of sway a bit.

What that doesn't explain, however, is the clock stopping and then a short moment later continuing from that time, twice (instead of freezing and then catching up), as witnessed in the Kings-Avs video: it takes 12 full seconds in real time for the clock to go from 09.5 -> 00.0. No amount of OCR quirks should cause that.

My bet is that the reason why it "continues" is that someone wrote a routine in the code to continue along it's merry way when stopped for a second or two. I'm willing to bet that coupled with the delay, 1-2 seconds is within the margin of error for the OCR. So during the game, you don't really notice it because who the hell cares as to whether it's 19:32 or 19:31. You'll notice much more in the last 10 seconds, probably because the error goes up (for reasons people proposed earlier).

In any case, I'm willing to bet I could write a much better code to do that, but I aint doing it for free, NBCSN! :colbert:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Chiming in on Consol being amazing. My favorite seats are 200 level front row on the end we shoot twice. As a beer league goalie though, it makes me feel like I'm committing some sort of betrayal not sitting on the end our goalie plays twice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

myron cope posted:

The game I was sitting in row 2 was against the Lightning. Marty St. Louis is amazingly small :psyduck:

(I know he looks small on TV but :drat:)

Hey. He's 5'8" :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When I met him he looked shorter than me by more than 2", and I'm 5'10".

I think he's "5'8""

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

I mean maybe it's not fair to compare him to the other athletes out there who are usually 6' plus, and I'm over 6' myself, but he just looks like a dwarf out there. A penguin-killing dwarf to be sure, but still a dwarf.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

On skates maybe. I'm 5'6" and he was really close to me in sandals.

Also, with my size I aspire to be as good as he is in this class of tiny/small players

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not rare for teams to list a short player a little higher.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's not rare for teams to list a short player a little higher.

Heck, they almost always list tall players a little taller!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Chara, however, is just an educated guess. Their measuring sticks aren't that long.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
How long does it usually take for a player to make it from being drafted to playing in the NHL?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

CobwebMustardseed posted:

How long does it usually take for a player to make it from being drafted to playing in the NHL?

Superstars can go right away, but for most players it's a couple years. You can play juniors until you're 20, then go to the AHL for a year or two, or you have the guys who stay in college.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Just an assumption on my part but I'd say that most players drafted will spend a year or two finishing up in junior/college and then a year or three in the AHL. So I'd say that a kid drafted at 18 will be in the NHL at ~23? Maybe later for a goalie or a defenseman (since those players generally take longer to develop).

There are always outliers, the kids that go straight to the NHL at 18, or someone like Deryk Engelland who didn't get to the NHL until like 27 or whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Calgary's draft pick probably won't play in the NHL until he's gone through puberty.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Superstars can go right away, but for most players it's a couple years. You can play juniors until you're 20, then go to the AHL for a year or two, or you have the guys who stay in college.

Superstars or Blue Jackets draft picks.

Some teams rush players because they need them immediately, but it's usually a bad sign. 3-4 years seems reasonable for a first round pick.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
All 8 of the blackhawks draft pucks will spend time in juniors, college, or foreign leagues for at least a year. It's not quite as slow as baseball but player development takes a good deal of time.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
What does it mean to offer sheet someone?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CobwebMustardseed posted:

What does it mean to offer sheet someone?

It basically means offering a contract to a free agent. The term is most often used in regards to restricted free agents (players who are not entry level, but do not qualify as unrestricted free agents). Essentially in this context it means that team X can offer a contract to an RFA, but the player's current team has the right to match that offer and keep the player if he chooses to sign the offer sheet. I think the current team has a week to match the offer from the new team. If the current team does not match the offer they are compensated by the team who offer-sheeted their player in the form of draft picks, what picks they get are based on the salary the offer-sheeted player receives, although if the deal is cheap enough there is no compensation. I think the max is four first round picks for a deal about 7 million, or something like that, don't remember the exact numbers, but there are several tiers of compensation.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

From Wikipedia:

quote:

When a player accepts an offer sheet and his team declines to match the value of the contract, his former team is entitled to draft pick compensation in the next upcoming draft or drafts based on the averaged yearly salary of the contract. These values were originally set for the 2005 offseason to coincide with the new NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, with percentage increases annually equal to the same percentage increase in the average salaries of all NHL players. The 2005 and 2011 offseason values are as follows, the latter based on an average NHL player salary of $2.3 million:[1]

code:
2005 Averaged Salary	      Current Averaged Salary		Draft Pick Compensation
$660,000 and below		$1,034,249 and below		No compensation
$660,001 to $1,000,000		$1,034,250 to $1,567,043	Third-round pick
$1,000,001 to $2,000,000	$1,567,044 to $3,134,088	Second-round pick
$2,000,001 to $3,000,000	$3,134,089 to $4,701,131	First- and third-round pick
$3,000,001 to $4,000,000	$4,701,132 to $6,268,175	First-, second-, and third-round pick
$4,000,001 to $5,000,000	$6,268,176 to $7,835,219	Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick
$5,000,001 and above		$7,835,220 and above		Four first-round picks
e: Also from Wikipedia, the list of players that have been offer sheeted since the lockout is very short. Only one has been accepted (and not matched), and that was Dustin Penner in 2007 by the Edmonton Oilers (and it cost them a first, second and third round pick). Ryan Kesler was offer sheeted by the Flyers in 2006, the Canucks matched. Thomas Vanek was offer sheeted by the Oilers in 2007 (two in one year by them!), the Sabres matched. David Backes in 2008, by the Canucks, the Blues matched. Steve Bernier a week later by the Blues (retaliation?) which the Canucks matched. And Nicklas Hjalmarsson in 2010 by San Jose, matched by Chicago.

e: And then there are GMs like Brian Burke who feel the whole idea of an offer sheet is ungentlemanly or something, and refuses to take part in it. I guess most GMs don't do it now because they don't want to piss off other GMs. Which makes no sense. Your team gets the chance to match the offer (which the player then has to accept) or you get draft picks in compensation. Unless it's such a low salary that no compensation is required, in which case match it or shut up. What a bunch of whiny babies GMs can be. It's not like another team can just steal an RFA outright from you.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
It's because the compensation in the middle brackets is bullshit for the players that can sign at that amount. Kesler signed for 5@5 - if he hit RFA and a team offered 6.27, the Canucks would be looking at overpaying him by a bunch or getting what, a 1st/2nd/3rd? If that's Boston or Detroit or whomever, that's a ripoff either way.

Imagine if someone had offersheeted TJ Oshie at 3m last year. Either the blues end up paying him another mil/year or they lose a good young player for a 2nd. Either way they get hosed.

That's not to say that there aren't fair offer sheets but their primary use, if you wanted to be a dick, would be to gently caress over every team that hasn't signed their RFA or gone to arbitration.

• Locked thread