Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hey, Exdeath.

Suck it.

Gonna wait for Gilgabot to acknowledge my victory, then I'm gonna go throw pointy stuff at a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Alright, since our guide seems to have slowed down with the edits, I've locked it and sent it off to RK and gilgabot so that other people can see it. If anyone wants to add anything just post your email here or in the IRC chat so I can give you permission to edit again.

edit: I am apparently the worst at google doc permissions but now it's viewable by everyone with the link, editable only by people I give permission to

heartcatcher fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 21, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

This is the first time I've ever beat FFV.
Thoughts: Thief ended up being surprisingly useful. Being able to stock up on HiPotions and Elixirs back in World 1 helped compensate for my lack of healing abilities, and having !Flee was a godsend in the final dungeon. On the other hand, stealing stopped being particularly useful for my team after World 1 (I guess there were the Twin Lances in World 2 but aside from that...). Artful Dodger was nice to have until I got the Masamune/Hermes Sandals.

Mystic Knights are good. Spell Blade is good. That long stretch in the later part of the game where they don't have any good weapons (like, until you get an Enhancer or full power Chicken Knife) is kind of a drag.

Geomancer was lopsided. Either the Diamond Bell was outdamaging both my Samurai and my Mystic Knight's regular attacks or it was doing piddly damage. !Gaia tended to be more useful than not given my team. It wasn't nearly as awesome as having normal magic would have been, but it was better than nothing. Where Geomancers really shined was the innate "Avoid damage floors/pits/etc" abilities. Not taking damage from lava or constantly falling into holes made things a whole lot easier for me (and my potion supply).

Samurai was consistently great at everything and nothing more needs to be said about it.

Other thoughts:
Man there are way too many scenes in this game where you have to sit around and wait for something to happen.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Well, I've rested and basked in my victory for a few days, so let's see if I can take on Shinryu. There's no way I can beat Omega and his ridiculous evade, but Shinryu might be possible with some levels under me. He hits like a mofo, but so do I.

Thinking on it, with my team, if I could set Berserk I'd be fine, but I can't think of any way to do so with a Knight or Berserker.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Streaming again! In the forest of Moore so I hope to get out of world 2 this time.

http://www.justin.tv/cube89

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Did a couple of short bursts the past couple of days, so here's a small update on progress (Monk/Berserker/Bard/Red Mage):

Kind of a pain dealing with Enkidu and his Vampire and White Wind spells, especially with Gilgamesh chipping away. Protect is awesome though, and eventually I was able to wipe them both out. I cut it pretty close with Atomos, as I lost my Berserker (due to leaving the Bone Mail on him) and my other three characters got awfully close to him, but I managed to keep a steady load of damage on him and alternated dead characters.

Decided to fight Catoblepas for the hell of it, and he was a joke thanks to my Elven Cloaks and a 3k+ damage Swords Dance from my Berserker. The crystals in the Forest of Moore, on the other hand, weren't a joke. My Berserker managed to take out half with a Deathsickle, and my Bard with Doublecast managed to outheal Aeraga barely. The final one with Firaga was close, though I had it set up to heal my Berserker fully and hope he got a couple blocks with the Aegis shield to take it down if necessary. But in the end, my Bard got to survive as well (even if Galuf didn't).

I'm hoping Exdeath won't be as nightmarish for me as he was for many other people. We'll see.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I decided to give the optional bosses a go, having never killed them before. I fought Omega somewhat legitimately- everyone that could equip a shield had a flame shield so I could give them Hermes sandals. With the chicken knife, I could do 9999 damage using the Thunderaga Sword, but it was a pain to actually hit the thing. It was pretty much luck in not having anything too bad happen. Fortunately I got Mighty Guard from Azulmagia by using the Wonder Wand to cast reflect on him, so Quake didn't murder me. It was a pretty tough battle, but I pulled through.

Shinryu on the other hand was a pushover once I figured out what to do- I used my Wonder Wand to cast berserk on him. I had three people equipped with Elf Mantles, 2 with crystal shields, 1 with the Main Gauche and 1 with the Genji shield. I also had about 50 Phoenix Downs. so even if he did hit someone I could just raise them again and again. The Chicken Knife with Flare sword took him out with no problems and the Berserker with the Rune Axe pretended to help.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've made it to the Barrier Tower today.

It's amazing how many bosses are just flat-out vulnerable to Death. Just having the Berserker use the Death Sickle has saved me a lot of grief in some random encounters, and flat-out surprised me on some of the bosses. I'm slowly gaining quite an appreciation for the job, especially when combined with a healer like White Mage.

White Mage and Bard are still proving useful. my Lenna-Bard has mastered the job, so I swapped her job with White Mage-Bartz so that I can have two characters with !White and !Sing. It's a winning combination, especially climbing Drakenvale and being able to double Requiem the undead. Enemies started showing some resistance to Romeo's Ballad in the same area, though, so it may not be useful for much longer. Then again, it might just be the undead. The Dancing Dagger has also given my Bard something to do when all songs have been played and the party is good on white magic.

Dragoon is a bit of a oddball. Faris has been the one person in my party who has swapped between all four of my jobs, and it shows in her lack of mastered skills. I've got her decked out with !White Lv4 right now, and hopefully I can have her with Lancet once Bartz has finished mastering Bard. I really don't know what to make of this job... it's certainly welcome to have another damage dealer, but there's nothing special or flashy about it. At least the damage is more consistent than Berserker.

The worst boss I've fought since the Earth Crystal was Purobolos. I was surprised that I made it through the fight on my first try, but all the Silence spells I generally saw one Self-Destruct per attack round. It's a fight that put me on edge, but not a very exciting one.

Plans for the immediate future are getting Galuf to master Berserker so that I can have him using Equip Axes, allowing me to use two Death Sickles in the battle against the crystals. Atomos is the most immediate challenge I'll have to face, but I think I'll be okay against him.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Does Magic Evade apply to spells cast by weapons? There's no reason that my Assassin's Dagger should be avoiding killing these Iron Giants this much.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm getting close to the end, but Azulmagia is giving me some serious trouble.

Edit: \/ As good a plan as any, I suppose.

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 22, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm getting close to the end, but Azulmagia is giving me some serious trouble.

Wear Reflect Rings and throw money at it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
My Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief team have made it to the third world. Despite farming 4 Wall Rings, Exdeath gave me a hell of a time. He always used reverse polarity to switch my rows, screwing up my Berserker. I eventually learned to start people in the back row so by the time I was done with setup moves he'd switched everybody to the front row. I put Drain Blade on everyone but my 'zerker, but they all seemed to miss at least half the time. Then he'd spam non-reflectable moves like Earth Shaker, Blaze, Zombie-Breath, Vacuum Wave, etc. until everyone fell down. Once I got past his initial phase and he started using the -aga spells, it was easy town, but that took a good 4 or 5 tries.

I hate the Pyramid in general, but it was satisfying to insta-kill the Mechaheads with Thundaga Sword.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up to anyone with a PAL 3DS - a demo for Theatrhythm just went up on the eShop, containing two songs ("The Man with the Machine Gun" from FF8 and "Sunleth Waterscape" from FF13). There's also an interview with Satoru Iwata from Nintendo:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_nintendo_3ds_third_party_game_developers_31641_49968.html#top

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So I sortof cheesed my way into killing Bahamut. My team of Black Mage/Summoner/Ranger/Chemist (Bartz is a Summoner with EqBows, Faris is a Chemist with Mix and a Healing Staff, Krile is a Ranger with lv6 Black, and Lenna is a Black Mage with lv 6 Summon) just had to cast Golem once, Carbuncle a few times, and then cast Firaga on the entire party to reflect back at Bahamut for ~6000 damage. He almost killed me with Aqua Breath, but then he used Mega Flare which...reflected back to him for 9999 damage.

Was this just stupid luck or is this actually a good strategy against other bosses?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads up to anyone with a PAL 3DS - a demo for Theatrhythm just went up on the eShop, containing two songs ("The Man with the Machine Gun" from FF8 and "Sunleth Waterscape" from FF13). There's also an interview with Satoru Iwata from Nintendo:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/iwata/iwata_asks_-_nintendo_3ds_third_party_game_developers_31641_49968.html#top

I'm a tad bit jealous, because I'm looking forward to this one just slightly more than KH3D.

But it's out in two weeks anyway, so no big deal.

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
Does anyone have any advice for beating Byblos with a party of thieves and berserkers? Once he starts casting Protect and Drain it seems like he can heal more than I can actually damage. Do I have any options aside from waiting for his massive MP pool to run out (and hoping I stole enough Hi-Potions to even last that long)?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rolling Start posted:

Does anyone have any advice for beating Byblos with a party of thieves and berserkers? Once he starts casting Protect and Drain it seems like he can heal more than I can actually damage. Do I have any options aside from waiting for his massive MP pool to run out (and hoping I stole enough Hi-Potions to even last that long)?

How do your Thieves' damage output compare to your Berserker's?

I did that fight with two White Mages and two Berserkers. I had everyone hitting him until he started Draining, after which I had the White Mages hang back and just heal everyone while the Berserkers kept going. I don't know how practical it would be do use the same strategy with Thieves/Hi-Potions, but it's something to consider.

The tail end of the fight is mostly luck-based for your and my job setup, though. You have to hope you can kill him before he delevels your main damage dealers, because after that you'll just never outdamage his Drain spell, and will have to be insanely lucky with his counterattacks.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa, forgot about the Fiesta but I'm already making time thanks to frameskipping my way through the tedious opening stuff. I did hardmode because I like the shades and didn't even expect it to be harder, and so far my group setup (Blue>White>Knight) is pretty promising.

Thoughts so far... I'd never done 2-4 Blue Mages at the beginning and holy poo poo do Aero and Goblin Punch trivialize everything up through the water crystal. I shiver thinking about fighting mammoth bro with my Thief roll from last year. It's pretty funny that I've gotten three wind crystal jobs so far and I'm secretly hoping my fourth is Monk or something just to keep with the theme. I feel like I already have a solid enough team and I'll be a bit spoiled if I end up with one of the beatstick jobs like Ranger last.

EDIT: And man, I don't envy you Thief/Berserker guy. I got Red Mage second last year and getting the water crystal nearly killed me. I can't imagine proceeding to Liquid Flame and Byblos with a goddamn Berserker as my only bonus.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Black Mage, Time Mage, Beastmaster so far...it's like Gilgabot wants to punish my vanity by giving me the dumbest looking party possible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

I'm a tad bit jealous, because I'm looking forward to this one just slightly more than KH3D.

But it's out in two weeks anyway, so no big deal.
Am I missing anything because it look like theatrythm is a cheap cash in but a lot of people are actually exited for it.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Just finished the Earth Crystal and I'm locked in at Monk/Thief/Monk/Monk

This is...not fun.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Huh looks like I'm doing a no real melee damage run with Blue mage/monk/thief/white mage. My only saving grace is that I can use blue magic and can break rods.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Am I missing anything because it look like theatrythm is a cheap cash in but a lot of people are actually exited for it.
It looks like a pretty decent rhythm game set against the iconic moments and music of classic FF. Its a way more interesting application of nostalgia than some lovely remake. Sort of like Dissidia.

What seems cheap about it, though? Other than the music and the occasional cutscene its not like they're reusing a bunch of premade assets or anything.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I played it at PAX, and while I can affirm that the main draw seems to be primarily nostalgia, the gameplay reminded me heavily of Elite Beat Agents (a game I love). I'll probably buy it, because what I played was pretty fun.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

homeless snail posted:

It looks like a pretty decent rhythm game set against the iconic moments and music of classic FF. Its a way more interesting application of nostalgia than some lovely remake. Sort of like Dissidia.

What seems cheap about it, though? Other than the music and the occasional cutscene its not like they're reusing a bunch of premade assets or anything.

From what I saw some of the levels are literally preexisting cinematics and preexisting music with taps that don't line up to what's going on at all.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The cinematics only play during the "Event" levels, which make up like a third of the game. This is what the rest looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGw0-I6YvY0

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Well that was a fun week! It was kind of refreshing to play the old SNES version again. I think that was the first time in ten years I played it like that.

Blue magic broke the game over its knee, plain and simple. Even without a Beastmaster I was able to get the really good blue magics like White Wind and Mighty Guard. With the other three physical characters doing a good 7000 damage a turn thanks to Double Grip and Kaiser Knuckles, bosses went down like nothing. I was really surprised at how easy the Void guys were. I just... WRECKED them.

Maybe I'll go back and beat Shinryuu. Who knows?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I drew Blue Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer this year.

Is it considered cheating to adopt a Beastmaster to !Control for the best Blue Magics if you don't have one on your team? Or is there another way to legitimately go about it?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Cervixalot posted:

I drew Blue Mage/Berserker/Ninja/Dancer this year.

Is it considered cheating to adopt a Beastmaster to !Control for the best Blue Magics if you don't have one on your team? Or is there another way to legitimately go about it?

Get the Dancing Dagger in world 2, equip it to whoever, pray you get Tempting Tango when you attack and then pray that the enemy uses whatever magic you're looking for.

It can take a while but White Wind and Mighty Guard are so worth it. Better bring your Berserker in dead though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

FreezingInferno posted:

Get the Dancing Dagger in world 2, equip it to whoever, pray you get Tempting Tango when you attack and then pray that the enemy uses whatever magic you're looking for.

It can take a while but White Wind and Mighty Guard are so worth it. Better bring your Berserker in dead though.

He has an actual Dancer, though, so he doesn't have to wait for the dagger. Just Dance! It's not as effective as !Control, since some enemies will never use their skills even when confused, but it's better than nothing.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Yeah, all the best blue magics can be gotten through confuse. You can get Mighty Guard and White Wind that way, and those are the only ones that you really need to do that for.

TiltedAtWindmills
Sep 4, 2009
Do you get a damage boost from casting an elemental spell if you have equipment of the same element equipped in FFV? Example: Casting Aeroga while equipped with an Air Knife.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

Do you get a damage boost from casting an elemental spell if you have equipment of the same element equipped in FFV? Example: Casting Aeroga while equipped with an Air Knife.
Absolutely, yeah.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

Well, specifically the item has to BOOST that element. The Air Knife does boost air damage; however, the Fire Sword does not boost fire damage (to my knowledge).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, specifically the item has to BOOST that element. The Air Knife does boost air damage; however, the Fire Sword does not boost fire damage (to my knowledge).

Correct. Aside from the elemental rods (Flame/Ice/Lightning Rod, which boost their own element), there's the Air Dagger (Air), Airslash Katana (Air), Gaia Gear (Earth), Venom Rod (Poison), Magus Rod (Air/Fire/Lightning/Ice/Earth/Poison), Sage's Staff (Holy), Rune Bell (Air/Fire/Lightning/Ice/Earth/Poison/Holy), and the Earth Hammer (Earth). These add a 50% bonus to the Magic Power stat of the spells of that element, making them way more likely to breach magic defense, etc.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Correct. Aside from the elemental rods (Flame/Ice/Lightning Rod, which boost their own element), there's the Air Dagger (Air), Airslash Katana (Air), Gaia Gear (Earth), Venom Rod (Poison), Magus Rod (Air/Fire/Lightning/Ice/Earth/Poison), Sage's Staff (Holy), Rune Bell (Air/Fire/Lightning/Ice/Earth/Poison/Holy), and the Earth Hammer (Earth). These add a 50% bonus to the Magic Power stat of the spells of that element, making them way more likely to breach magic defense, etc.

Would I then be correct in my assumption that the only way to boost water damage is by means of a chemist?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vil posted:

Would I then be correct in my assumption that the only way to boost water damage is by means of a chemist?
Exactly, which is why leviathan isn't as great as he initially seems.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
World 2 Exdeath steamrolled me the first few times around, so much so that I had to go grind out some levels to even have a shot at beating him, but I got him down, yay! :3:

These guys also caused me trouble the first time around, then I realised I could turn the fire one into my own personal firaga-healbot and kill it last.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
How do you register a win? I beat the game and tweeted #victory along with an imgur picture for proof, but it's not confirming that I beat the game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Not an Owl posted:

How do you register a win? I beat the game and tweeted #victory along with an imgur picture for proof, but it's not confirming that I beat the game yet.

Last night he tweeted that he's got a backlog of #victory tweets to process, so maybe just wait a while? I dunno, mine hasn't been registered either.