Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

COming off of FF7 and replaying FF8, I just keep having a big cloud of 'meh' regarding Rinoa as a character, then find out this is actually pretty common among fans of the game, and yet I'm not quite sure what it is that doesn't catch my interest about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Just finished my fiesta run with Knight/Monk/Blue Mage/Dancer. Man, Equip Ribbon makes the last two fights a joke.

As for beating Shinryu, if you have a Knight do this. Put the other three down to critical life scores, then prep the wonder rod to use berserk on the next hit. Place running shoes on the Knight and have them Guard every turn. Put running shoes on someone else and have them berserk the dragon right away. Easy. If you don't have a Knight but have access to the Image spell, you might be able to do it too.

Now I'm just working on Omega myself.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 23, 2012

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

Wait, how do you time that so it hits? :aaa:

Fungah! posted:

Looks like he's timing it off the Doom timer. I wish I had a save there so I could confirm that, but holy poo poo that's awesome

e: baseless conjecture that's wrong

Yeah, it was the doom timer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SmockJoc posted:

Just finished my fiesta run with Knight/Monk/Blue Mage/Dancer. Man, Equip Ribbon makes the last two fights a joke.

As for beating Shinryu, if you have a Knight do this. Put the other three down to critical life scores, then prep the wonder rod to use berserk on the next hit. Place running shoes on the Knight and have them Guard every turn. Put running shoes on someone else and have them berserk the dragon right away. Easy. If you don't have a Knight but have access to the Image spell, you might be able to do it too.

Access to Golem works too, but you WILL need two people with !Summon.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, Shinryu's easy if you can set Berserk. He can't kill your party that much faster than a Haste endowed Phoenix Down thrower can revive them, so it's just a matter of whittling away his 55,500 HP.

Without Berserker...

My team's up to level 73 and Shinryu still kills me rather quickly, and I still don't kill him rather quickly. I'm gonna try some more hoping for good luck, though.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

Yeah, it was the doom timer.

So what exactly is the gimmick there? Just hit it 24 ticks after Old goes off? Because I'm totally trying that the next run that I get Blue Mage

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, unless you have access to Shell, Almagest will hit between 1580 and 1818 damage (doubled if you're wearing Bone Mail), meaning if you want enough wiggle room to throw an Elixir before the HP Leak kills you, you basically need like 1900+ HP on everyone.

That's absurd. I know teams at lower levels with substantially less base HP tank their way through that fight, and doesn't shell only block 1/3 of damage or so? That'd still be 1053-1212 damage or so. Cripes, I don't wanna go grind 15 levels...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

That's absurd. I know teams at lower levels with substantially less base HP tank their way through that fight, and doesn't shell only block 1/3 of damage or so? That'd still be 1053-1212 damage or so. Cripes, I don't wanna go grind 15 levels...

Shell blocks half damage, so 790-909, doubled for bone mail, plus sap. That's totally survivable at 34 if you can get it going.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Wow, half? Man, I wish I had me some of that. No, I don't think I have any way of getting that, with Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief. Mystic Knights get the Magic Wall at critical health, but that's too hard to set up reliably and I'm not wasting my secondary slots on it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's possible to beat Neo Exdeath at low levels if you take out the parts that cast Algemest quickly, saving the back part to be Odin'd for last.

Of course, to do that requires Chemist or Bard to buff up your power.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Wow, half? Man, I wish I had me some of that. No, I don't think I have any way of getting that, with Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief. Mystic Knights get the Magic Wall at critical health, but that's too hard to set up reliably and I'm not wasting my secondary slots on it.

Break Blade away the Almagest portion first, then focus-fire down the Grand Cross section with Flare Blade. Keep the undead section in the back alive until last and kill him with Odin. The undead section's kind of scary but not nearly as bad as Almagest and Grand Cross can be. The physical section shouldn't be a problem, everyone except the thief can take a hit or two. Good luck!

e: considering that's probably what you're doing already, thought about switching up gear a bit? Hermes Sandals can help you burn down the Grand Cross piece faster, and everything after that should go a lot smoother. Might as well not focus on healing, just burn the bastard down as fast as possible

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 23, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

penguinmambo posted:

COming off of FF7 and replaying FF8, I just keep having a big cloud of 'meh' regarding Rinoa as a character, then find out this is actually pretty common among fans of the game, and yet I'm not quite sure what it is that doesn't catch my interest about her.

That's because she only really serves to forward the game's terrible romance subplot (or is that the main plot?).

There's no real depth to her as a character. She just sorta stands there and looks pretty and fucks things up without any forethought. And when she does come to the forefront and has something relevant to do, she's just really bland.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

The TAS of the SNES version uses this trick several times :ssh:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

HA, suck it!

Fungah! posted:

Break Blade away the Almagest portion first, then focus-fire down the Grand Cross section with Flare Blade. Keep the undead section in the back alive until last and kill him with Odin. The undead section's kind of scary but not nearly as bad as Almagest and Grand Cross can be. The physical section shouldn't be a problem, everyone except the thief can take a hit or two. Good luck!

e: considering that's probably what you're doing already, thought about switching up gear a bit? Hermes Sandals can help you burn down the Grand Cross piece faster, and everything after that should go a lot smoother. Might as well not focus on healing, just burn the bastard down as fast as possible

Yeah, I realized last night that the back portion didn't actually do anything all that threatening, and it was best to leave it for last. I think the biggest change, though, was changing my strategy from offense to defense. Originally I had given the Chicken Knife to my Thief, and just an Enchanter sword to my Mystic Knight, so they could both contribute to damage. Both my Mystic Knight and Berserker had 2-Handed, and my Thief had no shield. Everyone had the haste boots on. But NeoExdeath has too much health to just tear down quickly, especially since only my Mystic Knight could use Flare Sword.

So my new strategy was to go defense in hopes of outlasting hiim. I relegated my Thief to nothing but item use, so she got the attack-blocking dagger, EquipShield, and a Wall Ring (I had read the Delta Attack from the back section was reflectable and could kill any portion of Neo, but I don't know if that's true, since it seemed to hit a dummy target when I reflected it). My Berserker was also given a Wall Ring, and the Earth Hammer and Thornlet for the magic underflow bug Trasson had mentioned (even though she only ended up using the Eartquake attack maybe twice, and spent the rest of the time hitting dummy targets or missing). My Knight and Mystic Knight both got shields and haste shoes, and my Mystic Knight got the Chicken Knife with !Mug. All the extra shields really made a huge difference, and the Wall Rings ended up reflecting several Flares and Holies. So with Hasted Flare Chicken-Blades focused on the top section, I managed to shut it down after only one Grand Cross and all was well after that.

Now, whether to re-reg...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Trasson posted:

Yeah, Shinryu's easy if you can set Berserk. He can't kill your party that much faster than a Haste endowed Phoenix Down thrower can revive them, so it's just a matter of whittling away his 55,500 HP.

Without Berserker...

My team's up to level 73 and Shinryu still kills me rather quickly, and I still don't kill him rather quickly. I'm gonna try some more hoping for good luck, though.

If you're 73, just buy some of those rings that absorb Water element poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Any really good grinding spots? I need better damage on Zeninage and progress is pretty slow.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The White Dragon posted:

Well right, but there's a lot more to Shinryu than the Tidal Wave opener. :P (For example, Coral Rings will make his Thunder attack do 1/2 your party's HP, not 1/4.)

MrAristocrates posted:

Any really good grinding spots? I need better damage on Zeninage and progress is pretty slow.

I was grinding in the Dimensional Castle, right by the stairs to Azulmagia's save point. I ran from Iron Giants, though.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I've never finished FF5 (furthest I've ever reached was either the 3rd or 4th crystal, and that was like 10 years ago) but I just started a run for this Fiesta thing. I might even stream some of it or something!

I rolled Thief. When can I buy some daggers :sigh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

PirateNipple posted:

I've never finished FF5 (furthest I've ever reached was either the 3rd or 4th crystal, and that was like 10 years ago) but I just started a run for this Fiesta thing. I might even stream some of it or something!

Skeletons in the Ship Graveyard can drop them. You can use a free inn in the underdecks of Faris's ship.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

PirateNipple posted:

And you can steal Mythril Daggers from the Wyverns in the Water Tower, when you get there. You'll probably need them.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

And you can steal Mythril Daggers from the Wyverns

I think you mean Y-BURNs. :eng101:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Just started my second run and got White Mage. I was hoping for something more interesting like Knight or Blue Mage, but this will be a nice change from no healing whatsoever for most of the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Skeletons in the Ship Graveyard can drop them. You can use a free inn in the underdecks of Faris's ship.

Alternatively, just steal (or, before going there, buy) a crapton of potions and throw them at undead Siren for 50 damage a pop. Throw them at your party members during regular Siren, and !Flee from all the random battles. You can buy daggers in the next town after getting out of there. Probably faster than grinding out rare dagger drops.

In other news, Team Overpowered (Thief Summoner Bard Chemist) had no difficulty whatsoever steamrolling Shinryu (berserk) and Omega (stop).

Shinryu: mix berserk + mix blind + Golem (resummon whenever Shinryu connects) + usual murderbard shenanigans. :black101: Honestly I could've skipped Golem - Shinryu whiffed an awful lot, and I wasn't even using Elven Mantles - and just flung Phoenix Downs around.

Omega: Thief and chemist take turns spamming Romeo's Ballad to keep Omega stunlocked with Stop. Summoner settles into singing Swift Song for the rest of the battle (which lets said turns come faster and faster and gives Omega less opportunity to squeeze in a move edgeways).

The bard itself, despite Omega basically getting a death by song here, actually does no singing. Instead it does all the murderbard preparatory mixing (including halving Omega's enormous defenses a bunch of times), then starts murderbarding. Omega's insane evasion apparently does not apply to Apollo's Harp. :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
And down he goes, ending it with the Magic Lamp because why not?

Used maybe 7 of my 22 Elixirs in the fight. Butz went in with the Sage Staff, Gold Hairpin, White Robe, and Running shoes. Holy was 3500-4200 damage a shot and he used 1 elixir. Had White 6 and MP 10% on.

Cara was Morning Star (not that it mattered), Circlet, White Robe, Running shoes. She was and Faris mainly pulled support and attacked when able. Had Black and White lvl 6.

Lenna was the Wizard Rod, Gold Hairpin, Black Robe, Running shoes. Mostly used the 3's on multiple targets and flare once it was down to two parts. Had Black and White lvl 6.

Faris was pretty much regulated to support. Earth Shaker did 1400ish damage when it went off but it was unreliable so they just mainly healed and got people up as needed. No running shoes for them as I forgot to buy a 4th pair.

The fight itself took awhile but the only risk was when Grand Cross went off. In one case it had resulted in Butz berserked, Cara frogged, Lenna Muted and Faris slept and critical. had 2 people dead while fixing the effects and that's the closest I came to dying. I knew having White lvl 6 on everyone would mean Grand Cross was the only true risk and that's how it went. Only other deaths were things like unlucky timing on Flare (which did 1000-1250 through shell) or a quick hit with Vacuum Slash on someone before they got Protected.

Any time someone got dispelled they were immediately protect/shell buffed and once the Almagest part was taken down I rarely had more than 1 person dead or under half health. Due to keeping shell on everyone Almagest was only 700-900 damage at most and I'd have someone waiting to cure 3 right after it hit (and usually someone to top off the party with cure 2 or 3 before it hit) so in that regard it was less dangerous to me than Grand Cross by a long shot. Even flare was more dangerous because it'd killed a couple people at (near) full health. It could kill Lenna at full HP and did so one time.

It was a fun run, but getting both White and Black mage classes gave me no doubt that beating the game would be doable, even if a little time consuming. Geomancer ultimately ended up being useless because if I wanted to attack I ended up going with the bell for Earth Shaker since it could do 1500 vs Gale Slash's 800, and usually a Shell/Protect or cure (or Holy) helped more anyways.

However, the the award for East Void Fight goes to Shinryu.

A lot of you guys mentioned berserking him and just reviving people. I took it a step further. I went in with 2 people using running shoes and two using coral rings. Butz with runningshoes acted before Shinryu, so tidal wave never came (instead he one-shot Butz).

As soon as that happened I had everyone else use Image on themselves, then I revived Butz and immediately Imaged him. Shinryu only got 1 hit in for the rest of the fight, and it was because I didn't re-image Lenna as soon as he'd missed her twice. Berserk + image makes the fight a total joke My only challenge left is Omega, whom whom will likely pose a bit more of a challenge. I may go grind gil to get 4 flame rings though and go from there but we'll see. I'm tempted to reg again and just worry about him on my next run too, especially if I could get classes like blue mage and mystic knight.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:toot:

I finally did it. I had to get Bartz up to level 50 so Zenigage would deal more damage (4500 per turn). I lucked out in a several ways; He only used Grand Cross and Almagest once each. Grand Cross gave me Silence on one character (ha!) and Poison on another, so I got pretty lucky there. He used Flare once, on the character with a Flame Shield. He never once used White Hole. I gave my Geomancer Equip Axes and the Rune Axe, and she ended up dealing more damage than anyone else to Exdeath's first form. I gave my Thief the Chicken Knife (fully charged), and so I had a pretty steady line of damage on Exdeath's forms. I ended the fight with a Zantetsuken from the Magic Lamp. It all came together; a mixture of luck and good preparation. The fight ended up being astonishingly easy, in stark contrast to my other attempts (you see the HP totals? They're all at max. He couldn't keep up with my healing at all)

There is absolutely no way I could have done this without help from the IRC channel, though. Thanks, guys! I had never even beaten this game before!

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 24, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

more interesting...Knight...

Let me post a transcript of the beginning part of the game as four knights:

*fight starts* FightFightFightFightFightFightFightFightFightFightFightFightFightFightFight *fight ends, one way or the other*

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

My "first playthrough" of FF5 is going ok! Thanks to the tips from before, I stole good daggers for all my Thieves and was able to get the water crystal. I got Berserker as my 2nd job :v:

MrAristocrates posted:

the IRC channel

Where's this? I searched the OP and the big FF5 Fiesta post halfway through the thread and couldn't find it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

PirateNipple posted:

Where's this? I searched the OP and the big FF5 Fiesta post halfway through the thread and couldn't find it.

#FF5Fiesta at synirc.

Metajo
Nov 1, 2006

Created by R-Force Software
Your Console Sucks
Are any of the numerous "rebalance" or Game+ patches on FFHacktics worth it for a second playthrough of FFT?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Metajo posted:

Are any of the numerous "rebalance" or Game+ patches on FFHacktics worth it for a second playthrough of FFT?

I actually just started trying FFT: Rebirth a few days ago and I'm really liking it! Thinking of doing a Let's Play, though the story isn't changed at all.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Metajo posted:

FFT+ and LFT are both really good. 1.3 is too hard to be much fun IMO.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

The opening Tidal Wave isn't the issue. The thing is, Shinryu has 55,500 HP. His attacks do something like 5000, 6000 to my Berserkers in the front row. Snowstorm is 3000 to the team, Maelstrom is Maelstrom, Thunder is 1/4 or 1/2 my max HP, so another 3500 for the Coral Ring people, half that for Aegis Shield users (who have Running Shoes).

On top of that, he has 20% evasion, so not only do I need luck in him using Atomic Ray and Level 2 Old and Level 3 Flare, or using dodged physicals, I also need luck in actually hitting him, and I also need a little bit of luck in my Rune Edge and Giant's Axe rolls.

Like, I'm sure at some level it can be brute forced. I think with enough luck 73 is possible, but worst comes to worst, 97. I'm just trying this for the hell of it anyway, just to see if there is some point where it can be reasonably done. Still, I might not even bother if I can't manage 73-even with fast forward and codes to make me get 65535 EXP an enemy, leveling up at this point takes a noticable bit of time.

For what it's worth, this is what I'm rolling: Everyone has Crystal Helmet and the Dark Suit, there's no point in mentioning those more.

Bartz has the Brave Blade, Aegis Shield, and Running Shoes. If he can dodge the opening Tidal Wave, great. If he doesn't, I rez him. He's got the highest consistent damage: outside of a bunch of 150% rolls from the other two, he's going to score the best damage.

Lenna has the Rune Edge, an Ice Shield, and a Coral Ring. She, as per my Neo Exdeath fight, is the least necessary. The Rune Edge has sword accuracy but the axe damage formula, and the battle power adjusted for the Rune Effect minus Shinryu's quartered defense makes it my third strongest damaging option.

Cara is my Knight, rocking the Defender, the Aegis Shield (to be swapped for an Ice Shield after she dodges Tidal Wave; if she doesn't, reset), and Running Shoes. She's the Knight because she has less Strength than the other three. Her job is to throw Phoenix Downs, Elixirs, and prayers. Also, to hopefully buy an extra turn or two by dodging physicals.

Faris is using the Giant's Axe doublehanded and a Coral Ring. With some lucky hits, she can pile on a lot of damage (I think I saw a 7000 damage hit once). The Giant's Axe is my second most powerful weapon after being adjusted for quartering Shinryu's defense. The 80% accuracy before the evasion roll is annoying, but there's not really a whole lot I can do about that-I already need a good amount of luck, I might as well shoot for more.

The plan is to open the battle, have Cara dodge Tidal Wave, have her revive/Protect Bartz, and then throw healing items while Shinryu kills my team. Even with just under 7000 HP I die rather quickly, and there's a decent number of stuff to just ruin my day. Even with my levels I need about eight rounds of constant hits from all three Berserkers to win, and that's before Mighty Guard. On top of that, most of his attacks will kill in two hits, and he usually uses two a round. I can't heal more than one person a turn, either, and his level is high enough that dodging Maelstrom is an impossibility. It doesn't matter anyway, as that move is an autoloss if it hits even one person-they go into critical, Shinryu swings, Cara covers it, and probably dies unless she's at full which she never is. Without my Elixir machine, I have maybe one more attack from everyone left alive before he pulls out something else to kill me.

So yeah, gonna see if I can get really lucky. If not, gonna see if twenty four more levels will help (98 is Level 2 Old, 99 is Level 3 Flare, so 97 is my limit). If I still can't pull out a win without divine intervention, then I'll just roll another team-the rest of the game is so much more fun than Shinryu anyway.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Metajo posted:

It gets poo poo on fairly often but I actually had a lot of fun with FFT 1.3

Yes, it is ballbustingly hard, but really only the optional content felt like bullshit. The story fights were all difficulty = 11, but still (mostly) fair.

There's an easier version of 1.3 (Content) that would probably be fun if you don't want the difficulty but want to try out the rebalanced stuff.

LFT is also good but if I had to pick I'd go 1.3 Content since it changes things up more so it feels more like a different game.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

There's an easier version of 1.3 (Content) that would probably be fun if you don't want the difficulty but want to try out the rebalanced stuff.

LFT is also good but if I had to pick I'd go 1.3 Content since it changes things up more so it feels more like a different game.
Hm. What's the difference between the various FFT rebalance patches? I know 1.3 is the "hard one", but the others are all just names to me v:shobon:v

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Allan Assiduity posted:

Hm. What's the difference between the various FFT rebalance patches? I know 1.3 is the "hard one", but the others are all just names to me v:shobon:v

Each path is made by different folks, so they all set out to mess with FFT in different ways.

LFT probably keeps the closest to the feel of FFT while still mixing it up with several interesting fights (particularly the Lucavi). As far as balancing the game while still preserving the original, LFT is the way to go.

1.3 is "the hard one" in that it will make you bang your head against the wall on a dozen fights. If you like stupid difficulty, or consider yourself an FFT "expert", then 1.3 is for you. 1.3 changes a lot about the game, both on the player's side and the AI side. Many battles are completely different from the parent game, and a lot of the jobs and abilities are changed as well.

1.3 Content is 1.3 without the stupid hard enemy scaling. It keeps all of the changes of 1.3 without the ridiculous spike in difficulty.

Rebirth is a solid balance path. It changes things up a little more than LFT, I think, and the two have lots of similarities. I actually prefer Rebirth slight to LFT, though a lot of people will disagree.

War of the Gods is bad. Don't play it.

Was there any specific patch you were wondering about?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Another #reghard Four Job Fiesta win to see the weekend out, since most of my plans fell through! This time, the team of choice was...

Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Monk.

This doesn't need a particularly huge writeup to say that it sucked, but it most certainly did manage to suck a lot. It was exactly what you'd expect: Monk and Geomancer were great for Worlds 1 and 2, and then basically loving terrible for everything else. No fights come to mind worth writing up except maybe Twin Tania, who I knew I'd have to prepare carefully for as soon as I got that second monk handed to me by the Earth Crystal.

Preparations had to begin back in world 1, farming up three death sickles for use way, way later. After that, three people had to take turns churning up AP on berserker for equip axe over the course of the game.

Then I got hit with Tidal Wave 3 times in a row with no healing other than hi-potions and chakra.

Be it particularly bad luck or what, I don't know, but Twin Tania was just obsessed with spamming Tidal Wave pretty much to the exclusion of everything else. I had to farm up the cash for three coral rings to go back and have that fatass continue to keep spraying seawater on me while I hit his face in until it was Giga Flare time, which meant three death sickles, one assassin's dagger and a lot of praying.

Neo-Exdeath was also predictably awful, going in at a mean level of 33. Nobody had enough HP to survive Almagest comfortably (or at all) and the only real damage was coming from the Berserker, who lacked a !Skill to pump their magic for rune axe crits.

Eventually what did the trick was just getting more levels than I really needed and shoving the rune axe into the Geomancer's hands, who comfortably faffed around critting for 4k until it was time to Zantetsuken the boss fight out.

I think I'm done for a while because that was one god-awful team, and I'll certainly lay off the #reghard for a bit.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

In FFV does the Chicken Knife increase in power if you run after acquiring it?

Also, was 4 Heroes of Light any good? It looked like it had the job system, but it looked pretty silly-looking/childish. How's the difficulty?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

In FFV does the Chicken Knife increase in power if you run after acquiring it?

The game tracks all runs for Chicken Knife and Brave Blade, both before and after acquiring whichever of them you choose. So yes, if you want to power up Chicken Knife, you can wait until after getting it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Bellmaker posted:

Also, was 4 Heroes of Light any good? It looked like it had the job system, but it looked pretty silly-looking/childish. How's the difficulty?
If you have Archives, here's the original thread about it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355514

The original thread posted:

Isn't this babbies first Final Fantasy/jRPG? No manual targeting, inventory limits, streamlining, my world is ending
No. Bosses and even random encounters will kick your teeth in if you are not adequately prepared. There is no real hand holding. Don't be surprised if you get confused about where to go next. Talk to townsfolk to find out where to go.
Here's the old Gametrailers preview that goes over how the game handles: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-final-fantasy/705086

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So I just beat Exdeath and got to World 3 with my Blue/White/Knight/Monk set of wind crystal bros. Predictably this is pretty easy, and I sort of feel like I won the #reghard lottery; White Mage is the worst wind crystal job to roll first but it's awesome for a later roll for obvious reasons, Blue Mage is Blue Mage, and Knight is never flashy but double gripped swords get the beatstick job done. Unless I'm mistaken I'll even have a pretty easy time getting Big Guard with the !White Confuse spell.

My only real unexpected observation so far is that Monk really isn't as good as I remember it being. Come to think of it, I guess I've never really used one past World 1. The damage output is lower than a double-gripping Knight with worse defenses and without the option to swap in a shield, though I guess having a secondary slot open for !White or !Blue is nice. Does the damage formula for martial arts just scale poorly into the lategame, or am I doing something wrong?

Anyway, I'm basically cruising this poo poo. With the legendary weapons and a Blue Magic clean-up I'm not worried about the Cleft of Dimensions at all, and I'm confident that I have the tools for Omega/Shinryu within this ability set if I decide they're worth the trouble. Are there any pledges specifically based around people completing them? Maybe I'll let that decide.

Baku fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 24, 2012