Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Sweet, this LP be my first look at minecarts and the hauling changes, and and. :allears: It's going to be amazing.

Eagerly awaiting mine cart shenanigans and things falling on other things. Preferably dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
IT BEGIIIIIIIIINS

My first overseership I presided over mass slaughter and death, my second overseership I bungled my way into all but killing the entire fortress (I still have no earthly idea how Slitheredlow got in the great hall), and by God, I'm going to keep going and aim for a third overseership so bloody and disastrous that the entire save file eats itself and blows up all the backup copies! :black101:

...okay, maybe not that :black101:. We'll see how it goes.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

If only Toady implemented the ability to name things other than dwarves! Well... you can name dormitories, too. Would you prefer to be a dormitory instead of a dwarf?

Instead? Not unless the dormitory does something heroic.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

TildeATH posted:

Instead? Not unless the dormitory does something heroic.

Considering how these LPs go, we'll probably wind up having to collapse the dormitory onto the Forgotten Beast of the Week.

Note to self: create hanging dormitories during overseer turn.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Triskelli posted:

Considering how these LPs go, we'll probably wind up having to collapse the dormitory onto the Forgotten Beast of the Week.

Note to self: create hanging dormitories during overseer turn.

You know, they could mount the dormitory on minecarts and elect it mayor. Dwarfs are like that.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So, has Toady fixed the "can't name a vampire" issue yet, or will our overseers just end up naturally finding them as they go through the dwarfing list?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Juc66 posted:

I always assumed lepperfish looked a little more like this:

Where did you get that? Did you draw it just now?

Angela Christine posted:

Is this fort going to have minecarts? If so, is Rollery Coastery WOOOOO a valid occupation choice?

Yes

Geekkake posted:

...yeah, someone update my requested profession in the spreadsheet, please.

OK

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

So, has Toady fixed the "can't name a vampire" issue yet, or will our overseers just end up naturally finding them as they go through the dwarfing list?

Hmm. I thought this had been fixed but I can't say I'm 100% sure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure vamp naming was fixed, though other issues wi9th them are still around for sure. I wonder if they still accuse random pets of draining blood from bodies. They seem to always try and pin it on my steel golems.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I've been waiting for this since I found Gemclod last summer. By then it was way too late to participate, so I've been keeping an eye on the progress of the new LP - and it's finally here!

Too bad Leperflesh posted this thread when it was over 1:00 in the night over here. I could've stayed up of course, but I really didn't want to keep my girlfriend awake because of an Internet dwarf game. Luckily at 4:00 I had a dream in which this LP was already started and everybody who got dwarfed played this game on a common server with an FPS view. While I was dreaming I realized DF doesn't look like Minecraft which made me wake up and check out the forums with my phone - and the LP was up for several hours! 122nd place on the dwarfing list isn't at all what I had hoped, but that's probably before the game reaches its midpoint (if 300+ dwarves is really expected).

Hopefully I'll get assigned to military as requested and my dwarf gets to do something impossibly unprobable and noteworthy. :black101: I gather that's my most likely shot at becoming anything else than a background figure. Probably I'll get killed by wildlife though.

Anyway, I'll be enjoying this LP mighty much! Haven't read the prologue yet, I'll be riding on a train for eight hours after an hour and decided to save it for that. I have an exam on political and diplomatic history from 1500s to the present day three days from now, but eh. Dwarf Fortress.

Rurik fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 24, 2012

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Leperflesh posted:

Where did you get that? Did you draw it just now?

Yup, just drew that up.
I can't see your handle without reading it as leperfish.

Shiv Katall
Feb 11, 2008
Rape knows no boundaries

Juc66 posted:

Yup, just drew that up.
I can't see your handle without reading it as leperfish.

I think everyone only sees leperfish by now. Really should just change his name but maybe its a principal thing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got excited when I noticed I was only 4 pages late to fill out the form for a dwarfing only to find out hundreds already beat me. I hope my dude arrives in time to catch on fire or be crushed by the charred remains of our fort

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Looking forward to this. DF2012 has some very fun surprises that should lead to lots of "fun".

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
DF2012 appears to be super shiny. Might have to run a home game so I can get an idea of what new varieties of FUN to expect…

Die Zombie Die posted:

I think everyone only sees leperfish by now. Really should just change his name but maybe its a principal thing.

I didn't even realise it wasn't “Leperfish” until your comment. :blush:

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Gemclod was one of the threads that made me register an account, I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

Only 203 migrants left 'til dorf-me gets to die!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
This thread made my day. Thank you.

I eagerly anticipate my eventual dwarfing, and my messy demise shortly thereafter.

Checking the bug tracker, it appears that the "Vampire accuses chicken" bug has been fixed. The vampire nicknaming thing has also been fixed. So you won't have an incredibly easy time of finding and purging them unless you do it upon immigration.

Personally, my first order of business when playing is to build an airlock once I get all the supplies inside from the wagon, then simply starve/dehydrate all my migrants in there until they all flash hungry/thirsty. When they do, they are not vampires and can come inside for food and drink. Those who don't get thirsty get drafted and placed in the shaft of doom for disposal.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 24, 2012

Maelin
Aug 12, 2007
Hmm. Are overseers going to have to refrain from checking and posting all the dwarves' description screengrabs? It'll be easy to identify vampires by their huge list of past civilisations. :(

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

GrimRevenant posted:

DF2012 appears to be super shiny. Might have to run a home game so I can get an idea of what new varieties of FUN to expect…

Just a suggestion, if you haven't played in a while do not start your first fort in an evil biome. Evil biomes are ridiculous now. You'll get fun things like vampires, werewolves, necromancers and zombies in every biome now. It is quite enough to get used to without adding in things like vomit rain, blood rain, rain that turns dwarfs into monsters, and other horrible rains or fogs making the surface uninhabitable. Plus if you get lucky some evil zones cause all corpses to reanimate as zombies, so eventually the surface is covered in hundreds of zombies and no one gets in or out. Parts can come back as undead while in your butcher shop or even your tannery. Oh, and dead zombies come back as zombies. Decapitation does nothing! Magma is the only thing that makes the dead stay dead. It is quite common now to have your whole party wiped out the first spring in evil biomes, often by things that are completely unavoidable bullshit.

If you really want to see evil things, choose a site that is straddling the boundary between an evil biome and non-evil. Evil things will spawn on the evil side, but you can put your fortress entrance on the non-evil side and control your exposure to some of the silly stuff.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Maelin posted:

It'll be easy to identify vampires. :(

You only see what the current overseer wants you to see. :tinfoil:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angela Christine posted:

Just a suggestion, if you haven't played in a while do not start your first fort in an evil biome. Evil biomes are ridiculous now. You'll get fun things like vampires, werewolves, necromancers and zombies in every biome now. It is quite enough to get used to without adding in things like vomit rain, blood rain, rain that turns dwarfs into monsters, and other horrible rains or fogs making the surface uninhabitable. Plus if you get lucky some evil zones cause all corpses to reanimate as zombies, so eventually the surface is covered in hundreds of zombies and no one gets in or out. Parts can come back as undead while in your butcher shop or even your tannery. Oh, and dead zombies come back as zombies. Decapitation does nothing! Magma is the only thing that makes the dead stay dead. It is quite common now to have your whole party wiped out the first spring in evil biomes, often by things that are completely unavoidable bullshit.

If you really want to see evil things, choose a site that is straddling the boundary between an evil biome and non-evil. Evil things will spawn on the evil side, but you can put your fortress entrance on the non-evil side and control your exposure to some of the silly stuff.

This is not in the spirit of Fun. :colbert:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I doubt that identifying vampires from updates will be a problem. Even if it's evident from the dwarf stats screen, by the time 30+ strong migrant waves start coming, overseers will have better things to do than to screenshot every single migrant's stats.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009
Yeah but could we have a thread rule of not pointing it out if someone notices an obvious giveaway?

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Shorter Than Some posted:

Yeah but could we have a thread rule of not pointing it out if someone notices an obvious giveaway?
We could and we should.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Obviously looking forward to this, and agreeing about the "don't point out the vampire" rule. But yeah, Df2012 has some extra Fun. One part which adds to the Fun, but isn't really spoilers, is that dorfs who die become "missing" until somebody finds the body.

First time I fired up 2012, I lost five dorfs of my starting seven. To one alligator. And the only reason I noticed was because dorfs were briefly finding the body before being torn apart themselves.

Diploid
Oct 21, 2010
Alright, signing up for my first dorfing ever, after following several of these and only eventually signing up for the last game (was it gemclod?).

Huh? Over 200 back?
Well, that's one Daeren overseership, that's not so bad.
Hey, don't get me killed the moment I show up!

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
So, I notice you can't edit the spreadsheet (fairly sensible!) but I don't really care what my gender is. I put it in because I thought it was mandatory, but I notice there are too many male dwarves as-is.

Pretty excited for this. The prologue was really great so far, and it's always fun to see how this game has changed since the last LP.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FinalSin posted:

So, I notice you can't edit the spreadsheet (fairly sensible!) but I don't really care what my gender is. I put it in because I thought it was mandatory, but I notice there are too many male dwarves as-is.

Pretty excited for this. The prologue was really great so far, and it's always fun to see how this game has changed since the last LP.

I was actually tempted to ask for a female dorf called Josie Sexbeard. Figured it might cause too much vomiting though.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
:toot: I've been waiting for this since it showed up in the main DF thread. This promises to be interesting.

Although, uh, do we have to register on Obsidian Portal to see the overseer info, or is it just not on there yet?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Looking at the embark site again. There's not much flat ground to build a Gemclod-style keep on, so I'll be interested to see what Leperfish decides to make the fort look like. Normally I try to carve my entrance into a rock face but all the slopes here seem to be mainly soil, so we'll certainly be going down a few levels.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Ugh, I've been sitting in the train for five hours now and what I need is an update. I crave my fix! :argh: Of course Leperflesh should really concentrate on quality instead of rushing, but it's really awesome to have this finally going.

By the way, I'm for that idea that proposed building the fortress at least partially in the caverns. Would be different.

Of course Leperflesh can also level entire parts of map in order to build a keep.

Build the fortress across the brook. Or a butchery. Flowing water will keep the diseases and miasma away. :ssh:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Boing posted:

Looking at the embark site again. There's not much flat ground to build a Gemclod-style keep on, so I'll be interested to see what Leperfish decides to make the fort look like. Normally I try to carve my entrance into a rock face but all the slopes here seem to be mainly soil, so we'll certainly be going down a few levels.

A symmetrical eight-story tower plated with porcelain tiles. :china:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 24, 2012

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A cavern fortress would rock. Spend the first two years consolidating in the upper fort, then breach the caverns, recruit an army of miners and move everything down, the upper fort can be converted to a maze of traps and storage for tradegoods.

poo poo, build towers in the caverns!

Edit: I don't know the world gen parameters for this LP, but I normaly leave cavern openness between 90 and 100 and tunnels between 0 and 10. This ensures huge open caverns with lots of arable ground.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 24, 2012

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS

Demiurge4 posted:

A cavern fortress would rock.

Ouch.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Been here for all the others and ill be here for this one. Hell yeah.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
A new fort, a 200+ dwarfing list, and endless possibilities for lethality, I mean hilarity, ahead.

May the bugs be fantastic, I still think that Nolio was one of the greatest bits of emergent gameplay ever seen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FinalSin posted:

OK, I've removed your gender preference.

LordIronHat also accidentally submitted twice so I've removed that too.

Good morning everyone! We're up to 264 dwarfs on the list which is honestly more than I expected in the first ~18 hours ish. And I am sorry to those of you who live in strange foreign lands - I did my best to telegraph when I was going to put the LP up by posting in the DF thread in Games, but I do realize many of you don't keep up with that thread.

There's obviously no guarantees but in Gemclod we got up to around 350 named dwarfs or so before everyone died, so that's certainly possible here.

Mr. Vile posted:

:toot: I've been waiting for this since it showed up in the main DF thread. This promises to be interesting.

Although, uh, do we have to register on Obsidian Portal to see the overseer info, or is it just not on there yet?

There's really nothing there yet. I'm not sure if overseers will need to register there in order to see the stuff I'll be putting there, though: I am registered, but not a paying member, and I don't intend to do anything that would require money to change hands.

If the site winds up not being useful I will fall back on a set of google docs with restricted access.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

I didn't really follow Syrupleaf/Gemclod, what was that?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Asehujiko posted:

I didn't really follow Syrupleaf/Gemclod, what was that?

It was a syndrome carried by a forgotten beast called Nol which ended up spreading all over the fortress - as I remember, it made anyone affected by the disease vomit constantly, and anyone who came into contact with the vomit also got infected. The only way it was eventually controlled was to organise the mass bathing of the entire fortress. This was in Gemclod.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Based on the screenshots in the OP, I put this together.

Wagon is at normal color, down is darker, up is lighter. If I had higher-res screenshots, I would gladly do this again, or in the future as the fortress grows. Of course, this only works for above-ground features.

Although I bet I could use dfhack to do this automatically, unless there's already a similar tool out there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bad Munki posted:

Based on the screenshots in the OP, I put this together.

Wagon is at normal color, down is darker, up is lighter. If I had higher-res screenshots, I would gladly do this again, or in the future as the fortress grows. Of course, this only works for above-ground features.

Although I bet I could use dfhack to do this automatically, unless there's already a similar tool out there...

What would be really cool is to get a screenshot every once and awhile, and compile them to show the growth of the fortress as an animated GIF or video.

• Locked thread