Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Emalde posted:

So I need more Monster Raising in my life, and when I look on I see that Digimon and Dragon Quest: Monsters are probably the only things left to visit in that genre for me (RIP Monster Rancher, RIP Spectrobes).

Where should I start with these games? Should I start on Digimon World PSX? Or the DS games? What about DQ:M, as someone who has never played a Dragon Quest game before? Should I go straight to 2? Wait for the 3DS game to be localized?

e: I do have FF13-2 (thanks $20 gamestop sale!), but I'm not sure if that counts.
e2: I don't have a 360, so Viva Pinata is out as I can't quite yet justify purchasing a system for the one game.
You could check out the Jade Cocoon games, I remember both of them being good fun, although I haven't played them for a long time. Still, they were definitely a lot better than either Digimon 1 or 2, which I found unintuitive and boring respectively

here is a video that kind of shows/tells you what the second game is like which you might find helpful

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
What about the Dragon Quest Monsters DS games? Should I even bother since I've never touched DQ?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emalde posted:

What about the Dragon Quest Monsters DS games? Should I even bother since I've never touched DQ?
I remember loving the first one but they were kinda grindy.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

RIP Monster Rancher

What kind of phone do you have?

(I have an iPhone, so I can't speak to the quality of the game.)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

On a whim I got Ys1/2, Oath in Felghana, and 7 off of PSN after my friend's nonstop raving about them. Plowed through the first two and Felghana and loved them. Only played an hour of Seven. Are there any other Ys games that I should bother playing?
I know 4 is being remade for the Vita so I don't know if I should bother with that one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

OmegaZultan posted:

On a whim I got Ys1/2, Oath in Felghana, and 7 off of PSN after my friend's nonstop raving about them. Plowed through the first two and Felghana and loved them. Only played an hour of Seven. Are there any other Ys games that I should bother playing?
I know 4 is being remade for the Vita so I don't know if I should bother with that one.
Ys Origin is great too, it's got the same engine as Oath and plays very similarly to it. I think it's available on Steam now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Emalde posted:

You don't need to know anything about Dragon Quest to play them; you may get a kick out of controlling monsters that you used to fight, but that's it. If you're going to play the games, skip the first one and go straight to the second - there's no significant connection (that I know of) between the titles, and the second is better in every respect.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Unchained Blades is out tomorrow. It's for the PSP (PSN) with the 3DS version coming out later this year. No official word on whether the PSP version will work on the Vita any time soon, but it's not looking good.

It's a first person dungeon crawler (Wizardry/Etrian Odyssey/etc.) with some sort of monster catching mechanic. I thought about making a thread for it, but it's hard to find any detailed info about mechanics outside of Japanese wikis. The only nontrailer gameplay videos I could find were from NicoNico.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Unchained Blades is out tomorrow. It's for the PSP (PSN) with the 3DS version coming out later this year. No official word on whether the PSP version will work on the Vita any time soon, but it's not looking good.

It's a first person dungeon crawler (Wizardry/Etrian Odyssey/etc.) with some sort of monster catching mechanic. I thought about making a thread for it, but it's hard to find any detailed info about mechanics outside of Japanese wikis. The only nontrailer gameplay videos I could find were from NicoNico.

The monster-catching mechanic from what I've heard sounds a lot like SMT's negotiation system, where you have to answer their questions correctly or else they turn hostile on you.

I've been on the fence about this recently, mostly because there's no word on if it'll play on Vita or not. To be fair, I still own a PSP but I've been trying to migrate from that to Vita and the lack of PSP-game compatibility is really hurting that.

E: That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing a thread for it. I'm interested in learning all I can about how it is.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 25, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Finally got my copy of Pier Solar :toot:

I forgot how bad Genesis looks. I need to consider doing the S-Video mod as I got a soldering iron... Anyone ever do the mod? Is it worth the trouble?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

flyboi posted:

Finally got my copy of Pier Solar :toot:

I forgot how bad Genesis looks. I need to consider doing the S-Video mod as I got a soldering iron... Anyone ever do the mod? Is it worth the trouble?

Decided to try doing the S-Video mod tonight. It didn't work. Screw it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Emalde posted:

I spent weeks of my life on the first two, and yes the second one is a huge improvement over the first. I never played the DQ games before I played DWM 1 and 2, there's not much story to either game and it's mostly about battling and breeding up your monsters. Can't speak to the DS games much, I played a little of the first DS game and it was enjoyable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gyoru posted:

It's a first person dungeon crawler (Wizardry/Etrian Odyssey/etc.)

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey, I'm kind of looking forward to EO4. I just wish that every time I went looking for press releases about it, I didn't run into a wall of smug little brats who think they're tough poo poo for playing a grindy dungeon crawler known for being challenging (which, of course, is a misconeption; it just toes the line between "really easy" and "mechanically erroneously unfair," and that only shows that the devs know what they're doing because anyone can give you a level cap and make you fight Green Dragons before you even have enough HP to tank their noxious breath attacks).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I decided I'm gonna play a standard JRPG on the vita. YS is an action RPG, my other games are SRPGs, ZHP is a rogue like thing (also I loaded my save and forgot what the hell I was doing, my guy looks like the last boss on every slot)

I've heard trail in the sky and Cladun get mentioned a lot. I'm leaning more towards Cladun, do I skip the first one? (they're both the same price). I kind of want a fun quirky game over a super serious one.

Alternatively I wait for PS1 support and play FF9

Emalde
May 3, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I've heard trail in the sky and Cladun get mentioned a lot. I'm leaning more towards Cladun, do I skip the first one? (they're both the same price). I kind of want a fun quirky game over a super serious one.

Cladun 1 has multiplayer, so if that interests you at all get that. I would be more than happy to start a new dude and play with you over AHP if you have the option.

Otherwise, Cladun X2 is better in every other way.

(Also the Cladun games are hella Action RPGs, not JRPGs)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emalde posted:

Cladun 1 has multiplayer, so if that interests you at all get that. I would be more than happy to start a new dude and play with you over AHP if you have the option.

Otherwise, Cladun X2 is better in every other way.

(Also the Cladun games are hella Action RPGs, not JRPGs)

I'd be picking these up to play while I'm traveling, so multiplayer would be out, which makes it an easy decision :v:

And dammit, Cladun is the game where you build a fully customized party right? I heard "party" and thought turn based. It says RPG in the title! Whatever I'm not gonna go homeless over $20, Cladun X2 it is.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

And dammit, Cladun is the game where you build a fully customized party right?

That's right. In Cladun X2, you also build all of your armor, your weapons, the music........ it owns.

Cladun HD (aka Legasista) should be coming to PS3 in the states very soon as well, if you find yourself enamored by them.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

I decided I'm gonna play a standard JRPG on the vita.

Trails in the Sky!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah it doesn't get any more standard JRPG than Trails in the Sky. It has a slight spin on the battle system but it's still pretty old fashioned. If you played the Lunar games, it's pretty similar to that.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I apologize if I missed a bunch of talk about this already, but how is Pier Solar? From the videos I've seen, it looks really decent, but I didn't want to pay much attention to the story or anything like that so I could avoid any spoilers. Is it worth getting if I have a Genesis sitting here and would like an old school RPG to play on it? How long is it? Thanks!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Picked up an extra PSN wallet card for Unchained Blades. Now someone over at Sony or XSEED hurry up and tell me if I'm gonna be able to play this on Vita or not. :argh:

Flumpus posted:

I apologize if I missed a bunch of talk about this already, but how is Pier Solar? From the videos I've seen, it looks really decent, but I didn't want to pay much attention to the story or anything like that so I could avoid any spoilers. Is it worth getting if I have a Genesis sitting here and would like an old school RPG to play on it? How long is it? Thanks!

I'm only a little ways in (past the first boss), but whether or not you'd find Pier Solar to your liking is very contingent on how nostalgic you are for 16-bit RPGs.

Also:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

iastudent posted:

Picked up an extra PSN wallet card for Unchained Blades. Now someone over at Sony or XSEED hurry up and tell me if I'm gonna be able to play this on Vita or not. :argh:

I'm only a little ways in (past the first boss), but whether or not you'd find Pier Solar to your liking is very contingent on how nostalgic you are for 16-bit RPGs.

Also:

How is Pier Solar so crisp on your stream? Mine looks like blurry rear end with the composite AV cable.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

flyboi posted:

How is Pier Solar so crisp on your stream? Mine looks like blurry rear end with the composite AV cable.

I just use composite AV as well, run it to my TV and split it off that into my Dazzle for capturing.

I'm actually playing on an 28" LCD which doesn't handle composite that well, so it actually looks kinda rear end compared to what shows up in Xsplit.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

iastudent posted:

I just use composite AV as well, run it to my TV and split it off that into my Dazzle for capturing.

I'm actually playing on an 28" LCD which doesn't handle composite that well, so it actually looks kinda rear end compared to what shows up in Xsplit.

Ah I'm running directly into a capture card on my computer. I should try capturing the stream and compare to what is on-screen.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I already bought Cladun :v:

Exactly $20 left for another though, I'll save it and see what I feel like after that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
That Rainbow Moon game coming out, anyone's going to take the plunge to tell others if its any good?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

flyboi posted:

Ah I'm running directly into a capture card on my computer. I should try capturing the stream and compare to what is on-screen.

I loaded up VLC and it looks much better than the avermedia playback on my capture card.... but no audio :negative:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 26, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

flyboi posted:

I loaded up VLC and it looks much better than the avermedia playback on my capture card.... but no audio :negative:

Are you running the audio into the capture card as well? Most 3rd party programs have trouble getting the audio portion of captures.

Do the same thing I do and get a RCA-to-3.5mm stereo jack adapter and run the audio cables into your computer's line-in. Sounds just as good and it's a lot easier for capture software to pick up.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/26/unchained-blades-hits-psn-today-is-it-the-psp-rpg-for-you/
Unchained Blades is out on PSN. :toot:

Putting my stream up and figuring things out as I go along. The manual isn't up yet.
http://twitch.tv/gyoruspy

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gyoru posted:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/26/unchained-blades-hits-psn-today-is-it-the-psp-rpg-for-you/

Putting my stream up and figuring things out as I go along. The manual isn't up yet.

For a dungeon crawler, there sure is a lot of mixed exposition/tutorial to start out with.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 26, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man XSEED is really doing right by us lately. I wish they were compensated more but I guess they have to run on gratitude and a couple of small sales for awhile.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

That looks great, PSP only? I wish they'd put this kind of effort into a console release honestly. Wizardry looked like poo poo compared to this (the PS3 one, not Tales of the Forsaken Land). I'll probably have to get it though; I have a thing for supporting XSEED.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I also love supporting XSeed, they bring us so much awesome poo poo that no one else will, but I just am not feeling buying a $30 PSP game at this point. $20 would have been my sweet spot.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Christ Pier Solar is stupidly hard. I just finished the second dungeon/boss and it was quite possibly the worst designed dungeon/puzzle I've ever played. I ended up having to use a walkthrough because of one cheap part

There are floating platforms and at one point you reach a dead end that requires a key. The thing is that there's a platform that goes to where you entered the room, behind a pillar and you cannot see it. You have to ride this to get the key and there are a few more treasure chest/pillars just like this with the "can't-see" BS

I really, really hope they don't do that ever again.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wendell posted:

I also love supporting XSeed, they bring us so much awesome poo poo that no one else will, but I just am not feeling buying a $30 PSP game at this point. $20 would have been my sweet spot.

I wouldn't mind the price too much if there was something physical to go with it. It's the lack of Vita compatibility for a new PSP title (which is more Sony's fault than XSEED's if I've been reading right) that keeps me from wanting to pull the trigger.

E: drat flyboi, when I was saying Pier Solar was unabashedly a product of the era it's emulating, I don't think I met it quite like that. :stare:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Levantine posted:

That looks great, PSP only? I wish they'd put this kind of effort into a console release honestly. Wizardry looked like poo poo compared to this (the PS3 one, not Tales of the Forsaken Land). I'll probably have to get it though; I have a thing for supporting XSEED.
It's surprisingly voice acted too. I heard Liam O'Brien (Akihiko) running around as the badass side character. I can't quite place the main character and female lead though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

It's surprisingly voice acted too. I heard Liam O'Brien (Akihiko) running around as the badass side character. I can't quite place the main character and female lead though.

Yeah, I just watched the E3 trailer and everything seems well animated and voice acted. My only concern is that my PSP has custom firmware and I've never done a PSN digital release with that setup. Is that going to be a problem?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Unchained Blades
Looks like there's a limit to how many Skill Points (SP) each character can get so it's important to specialize and aim for certain skills when allocating points. Each character seems to branch out toward different weapon specializations.

Fang: Swords, Claws, and Spears
Hector: Axes and Claws
Lapis: Rods and Daggers
Mari: Instruments and Rods

There are also some Camp events that allow you to talk to a party member including Fang. Whoever you choose will get a bonus +2 SP. I'm not sure how common they are, but it's only happened once in about 6 hours of gameplay.

Rascyc posted:

Fang is Troy Baker (Yuri from Tales of Vesperia/Kanji from Persona 4). Hector is Yuri Lowenthal (Luke from Tales of the Abyss/every single character in Fallout New Vegas). Lucius is Liam O'Brien (everything).

It's the usual suspects of video game voice actors.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ah, but does it have Johnny Yong Bosch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can't resist going swords since they drew a sword on his character art. Canon!