Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

One from last year that had a good video with it: Indianapolis Announces Really Embarrassing Bid For 2020 Summer Olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Take-Charge, Can-Do Guy Makes Horrible Decisions: http://www.theonion.com/articles/takecharge-cando-guy-makes-horrible-decisions,717/

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Another one where the headline doesn't tell the whole story:

Cyclist Friend Explains Necessity of $35 socks

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

This new one is pretty good:

Capricious God Violently Shakes Ant Farm Day After Bestowing Orange Slices Upon Colony

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

MD2020 posted:

Another one where the headline doesn't tell the whole story:

Cyclist Friend Explains Necessity of $35 socks

Wow didn't see the twist coming on that one.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Open-Minded Man Grimly Realizes How Much Life He's Wasted Listening To Bullshit
This is still one of my favourite pieces:

quote:

A visibly stunned and solemn Richman, who until this point regarded his willingness to hear out the opinions of others as a worthwhile quality, estimated that he's wasted nearly three and a half years of his existence being open to people's half-formed thoughts, asinine suggestions, and pointless, dumbfuck stories.

"Jesus Christ," said Richman, taking in the overwhelming volume of useless crap he's actively listened to over the years. "My whole life I've made a concerted effort to give people a fair shake and understand different points of view because I felt that everyone had something valuable to offer, but it turns out most of what they had to offer was complete bullshit."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Gay Gene Isolated, Ostracized

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Roof On Fire Claims Lives Of 43 Party People

Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

moller posted:

Roof On Fire Claims Lives Of 43 Party People

Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.

I absolutely adore the final line of that article - "The fire is New York's deadliest since 1978, when 117 party people burned, baby, burned to death in a South Bronx disco inferno."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Study: Women Always Answer Their Phones Unless They're Having Great Sex With Someone Else

The final line about 99% of women who answer the phone is great as well.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

This story turned up on Literally Unbelievable:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is the first Onion story I ever saw. I was in grade 5 and had just got the internet when my father showed it to me. I totally bought it for the first half.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/cocacola-introduces-new-30liter-size,1696/

This one I love because I've done this countless times.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/plan-to-make-snacks-last-through-opening-credits-f,3224/

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Jerusalem posted:

Study: Women Always Answer Their Phones Unless They're Having Great Sex With Someone Else

The final line about 99% of women who answer the phone is great as well.
The phone in the main picture for this reminded me of another gem:

Report: 90% Of Waking Hours Spent Staring At Glowing Rectangles

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

LAPD Going About Day In Uncomfortable Silence

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Report: Dad Proud Of You; He Won't Say It, But It's True :smith:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Herman Cain Endorses Who Gives A gently caress

quote:

DOESN'T MATTER—Business magnate and former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain briefly returned to the spotlight Tuesday to announce he would lend his support to the campaign of nobody gives a flying gently caress what Herman Cain has to say. "After serious consideration and soul-searching, I've decided to support [no one gives a poo poo about you, your political beliefs, and certainly not who you think should be president of the United States]," said the short-lived media phenomenon, reading from a prepared statement that in a sense does not exist if no one agrees to read or listen to it. "I [Just shut the gently caress up now. We don't care. People are going to stop paying attention to you now and you are going to go away]." At press time, Donald Trump you've got to be kidding me, no way, nuh-uh, not even if he's announcing he invented a loving time machine, I'm sorry, I just can't.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I Think I'd Make A Pretty Good HBO Show by 18th Century France

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is a thing of beauty, thank you.

I Had The Idea For Youtube Back In 2010

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
This is one of my favorites:

Voting Machines Elect One Of Their Own As President

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This was great, I loved the ending.

Tea Party Quiet... Too Quiet

I thought this one was a bit of a misfire but it improves as it goes on, with the guest interviewee getting creepier and creepier and the host getting increasingly more uncomfortable.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Initially, I was worried about how drawn out such a simple joke was, but towards the end they won me back.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Brother Jonathan posted:

From the past year:

Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex

This story seems to have come up more than any other on Literally Unbelievable.

A story in Politico led me to this Facebook post by Congressman John Fleming of Louisiana:

"The Onion's editor, Joe Randazzo, said the publication is proud to count Fleming as a reader. 'We're delighted to hear that Rep. Fleming is a regular reader of America's Finest News Source and doesn't bother himself with The New York Times, Washington Post, the mediums of television and radio, or any other lesser journalism outlets,' he said in a statement."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God :gonk:

Sandusky Angry He's Not Going To Be Allowed To Tell The Tender, Romantic Side Of The Story

quote:

"I'm devastated, to be honest. I thought what we had was real. But it seems it was nothing more than sex to them," added Sandusky, his voice cracking as he shook his head. "Well, live, love, and learn, I always say. I guess that's just how kids are."

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hahaha...holy poo poo, The Onion officially has no bounds.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brother Jonathan posted:

A story in Politico led me to this Facebook post by Congressman John Fleming of Louisiana:

"The Onion's editor, Joe Randazzo, said the publication is proud to count Fleming as a reader. 'We're delighted to hear that Rep. Fleming is a regular reader of America's Finest News Source and doesn't bother himself with The New York Times, Washington Post, the mediums of television and radio, or any other lesser journalism outlets,' he said in a statement."

I remember, from another thread, about the "Planned Parenthood $8 Billion Dollar Abortionplex" story is a good measure of a person's beliefs on abortion. A pro-choice supporter will just laugh it off, but the story is just so unbelievable that it breaks an anti-abortionist's brain.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Young Freud posted:

I remember, from another thread, about the "Planned Parenthood $8 Billion Dollar Abortionplex" story is a good measure of a person's beliefs on abortion. A pro-choice supporter will just laugh it off, but the story is just so unbelievable that it breaks an anti-abortionist's brain.

I was at a conference where Baratunde Thurston (former Onion digital editor) spoke and he pointed out that the Abortionplex has its own page on Yelp.

The reviews are hilarious.

review posted:

Cons:

Two things, which is why I gave it only 4 stars:

First, anyone else irritated that the Orange Julius was being renovated? I'm hoping that it will be open by the time I return in about 8 weeks.

Second, the bathrooms by the rock climbing wall were out of paper towels. And when I told someone about it, they were a bit rude. Super annoying!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

I need to combine :gonk:, :aaaaa:, and :laugh:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

New Commercials For Old Milwaukee Beer Feature Group Of Friends Contemplating Suicide:

quote:

"We're confident consumers of Old Milwaukee will strongly relate to these drunk, hopeless, broken down men joylessly downing beer after beer while listlessly watching television and discussing in flat monotones whether there's any compelling reason why they shouldn't just end it all," Sloman said following a screening of a TV spot in which a pale, sunken-eyed man opens his ninth Old Milwaukee, stares at it blankly, and then puts it down untouched after realizing that nothing is helping. "Extensive market research has shown these scenes are quite authentic in terms of how a great number of Americans enjoy the crisp, delicious taste of Old Milwaukee beer."

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Holy loving poo poo, Onion.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

:catstare:

Holy loving poo poo, Onion.

That's... goddamn.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I read about half of that, then realized that I was spending way too much time thinking about Donald Trump's penis and gave up.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Mothership Accidentally Descends On Hootie Concert

The Onion seems to write about George Clinton a lot and it's always funny? Mods?

This part stuck with me ever since I first read it:

quote:

Sources speculate that an inadvertent hip shake by Rucker, who briefly lost his balance stumbling over a stray mandolin, may have accidentally summoned the Mothership.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

I read about half of that, then realized that I was spending way too much time thinking about Donald Trump's penis and gave up.

It's amazing, and worth reading just for the bit about how he tries to cheer himself up by doing some shadowboxing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings!
Look on my works ye mighty, and despair!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a classic.
New Six Flags Ride Based On Relationship With Deborah

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there any way to... browse the Onion's website in a way that makes sense to normal, sane people? Is the layout and mad maze of advertising somehow part of their greatest satire of all? poo poo even breaks my simplify-browsing extensions. I mean, it's a real testament to the quality of their humor that people dig through the website rather than immediately saying "gently caress that mess, ctrl-F4"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mescal posted:

Is there any way to... browse the Onion's website in a way that makes sense to normal, sane people? Is the layout and mad maze of advertising somehow part of their greatest satire of all? poo poo even breaks my simplify-browsing extensions. I mean, it's a real testament to the quality of their humor that people dig through the website rather than immediately saying "gently caress that mess, ctrl-F4"
Adblock Plus, yo.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is there a way to disable the giant paywall popup thing? You can just reload the page and stop it before it loads, but that's a pain and it doesn't work for videos.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.
Up All Night -

NBC

9:30 p.m. EST/8:30 p.m. CST

I just saw this one browsing the entertainment section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is there a way to disable the giant paywall popup thing? You can just reload the page and stop it before it loads, but that's a pain and it doesn't work for videos.

My version of Firefox has a neat little thing that stops auto-reloading.

Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Accessibility > Warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page.

It's a bit of a pain on forums but otherwise has saved me a ton of grief.