Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

axleblaze posted:

Though for Square remaking FF7 is a no win situation. If they leave the gameplay as is, it'll emphasize how underwhelming it was and people will assume they hosed something up. If they change it the purest will be pissed and never shut up about how Square hosed things up. It'll make a poo poo load of money in the short run but it's almost destined to not be liked by most of it's target audience.

I think in for a penny, in for a pound, they could put in a remix mode with some different gameplay options to exploit. Even if they don't think it through very much they could fallback on "well, switch back to classic if you don't like whatever system we ripped from a more contemporary FF game".

And really, if they just stole wholesale some combat options from later FF games, it would get people to buy the game regardless of whether they played it to death before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Am I the only one who thinks that FF7 was the ugliest FF ever, in terms if internal visual consistency? Everything just clashed so horribly in styles and colors and everything. Was I too old to really get in on the FF7 experience, I wonder? I never actually finished it, but then my little brother took over and played the poo poo out of it while I watched.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that FF7 was the ugliest FF ever, in terms if internal visual consistency? Everything just clashed so horribly in styles and colors and everything. Was I too old to really get in on the FF7 experience, I wonder? I never actually finished it, but then my little brother took over and played the poo poo out of it while I watched.

I know exactly what you mean. In the previous games between Amano's artwork in the manuals/guides and the sprites your mind kind of created this hyper-magical landscape that made sense visually. I don't know if I was "too old" or whatever at the time but my "man I like 2D more" curmudgeonly ways were already setting in I guess.

If they do re-release it beyond PSN ports, they need to actually translate it right and name him Claude instead of Cloud, the nerd rage would be glorious.

Either way, a new Playstation system is on the horizon in the next year or so, which means another demo clip from Square where they recreate a cutscene from an FF game, which means another five months of Kotaku/whoever rumoring about a Final Fantasy VII remake that will never happen ever.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's what I meant when I said it looks like poo poo. It looked amazing when it came out but now it's hard to even look at sometimes.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Square already gave you your HD remake. It's called FFXIII. Look at the characters. They're literally all the same. The only thing that changed was that Square went way overboard with the Japanese fashion. The plot really isn't that different if you use your imagination.

Also, I'm thinking about getting more into WRPGs. I was thinking about Dragon's Dogma as I'm hearing great things, but you guys seem to be giving a lot of credit Dark/Demon's Souls? Which one's more satisfying?

e; My friend even said DD is like Kingdom Hearts meets Skyrim? What?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 27, 2012

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Also, I'm thinking about getting more into WRPGs. I was thinking about Dragon's Dogma as I'm hearing great things, but you guys seem to be giving a lot of credit Dark/Demon's Souls? Which one's more satisfying?

Souls. No contest.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Squirtle Squadee posted:

As someone who has put over 100 hours into all three of those I say Dark Souls is still the best. If you like that kind of game you MUST play all three though, I say.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Dragon's Dogma is easily one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a while, I'd have to suggest that one. Although, I've not played Dark Souls but I really wasn't a fan of Demon's Souls so I'm still ambivalent on it. People seem to love it to death though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

axleblaze posted:

That's what I meant when I said it looks like poo poo. It looked amazing when it came out but now it's hard to even look at sometimes.

Not even when it came out. The cutscenes were mindblowing but the actual battle graphics can get added to the ever increasing list of "games King's Field looks better then even it came out years earlier." :)

Speaking of From Software...

Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls are all great. I'd honestly try out Demon's Souls first, just to see if you like the basic controls and concept. It's also very cheap now, you can easily get it for less than $20. If you like it, Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls are similar but in a more open world instead of individual levels.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Square already gave you your HD remake. It's called FFXIII. Look at the characters. They're literally all the same. The only thing that changed was that Square went way overboard with the Japanese fashion. The plot really isn't that different if you use your imagination.

I'm pretty sure I can make Burger Time look like FF7 if I think really, really hard. That still doesn't make it a remake.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait wait wait...
Dragon's Dogma is like Dark Souls? I thought it was like Monster Hunter. This changes my opinion of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait wait wait...
Dragon's Dogma is like Dark Souls? I thought it was like Monster Hunter. This changes my opinion of it.
More so than any game I have played in years (maybe since Demon's Souls), DD is its own thing. I've gotten so used to playing sequels it was hard to accept a game being its own thing at first, but that's what DD is.

I liked how 1up started their (favorable) review of DD, they started by listing all the games it was not (and the list is long), just to get it out of the way before they could talk about what it is.

vvv oh yeah, it definitely needs a few things polished, it's far from a perfect game. It's still a really good game though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 27, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

More so than any game I have played in years (maybe since Demon's Souls), DD is its own thing. I've gotten so used to playing sequels it was hard to accept a game being its own thing at first, but that's what DD is.

I liked how 1up started their (favorable) review of DD, they started by listing all the things it was not, just to get it out of the way before they could talk about what it is.

Huh I guess I should give it a try, I passed it up because the reaction seemed to be that it had good ideas but needed more polish.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Emalde posted:

Souls. No contest.

Dragon's Dogma is the least frustrating of the three, but the satisfaction levels after taking down a powerful enemy aren't as high as Demon's Souls.

I keep trying to play Dark Souls and I do like the game but I just keep getting unbelievably frustrated at how cheap a lot of the enemies are.

Did they keep MP up and running for Demon's Souls in the end? I remember reading something of the like

Neo Rasa posted:

Either way, a new Playstation system is on the horizon in the next year or so, which means another demo clip from Square where they recreate a cutscene from an FF game, which means another five months of Kotaku/whoever rumoring about a Final Fantasy VII remake that will never happen ever.

They should either announce an ff8 remake to gently caress with fans, or announce a cel shaded ff7 remake that's only on XBLA and facebook. At this stage i don't think even the fans particularly care one way or another, i know I sure don't. I'd love to see another Final Fantasy game of the same scale as 7. A skies of arcadia style overworld chock full of secrets, loads of hidden areas, secret bosses, unlockable optional characters and an extensive and varied end game

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 27, 2012

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I tried both of the resident evil lightgun games. Both are worth the rebuy/double dip if you got them on wii previously. I am having a blast, though the trophy list is something to be desired. (all S rank on hard) might be a bit tough for RE:DC(?) but the rest seem rather easy.

My PSMove is pretty much the only thing I have put a lot of free gaming time into recently.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Square-Enix is kind of slacking in that although their games always look beautiful now, they have had extremely long development cycles since the move to PS2. Back on PSX, we got 7, 8, and 9 in the span of about six years. Then 10 came out a year after 9 in December 2001, making for yet another game in such a close amount of time. XI followed in Japan in early 2002, and it was a constantly evolving game.

Fast forward four years to 2006, and XII is finally released after tons of delays and rumored in-house quarrels. Yasumi Matsuno became so stressed and overworked during the creation of the game that he had to take a leave of absence and ultimately leave the company. The long development cycle produced a game that, while inherently flawed in its plot at times, provided a very enjoyable experience that has become one of my favorite games of all time.

And then Final Fantasy XIII comes out in 2009, much to my chagrin. Not very well received, but it did look pretty. XIV comes out months later and also bombs.

Square-Enix dominated the Playstation and early Playstation 2, and then slowly lost its touch. Whether it be because of longer development cycles, growing apathy towards its fans' tastes, I don't know; they're struggling to try and remain relevant. I have to wonder how exactly they could get back on track. Maybe Square-Enix just needs to lower their graphical expectations and try to shove games out in a timelier manner? There's no real answer to their plight, but I really hope we can see them regain their former glory before the PS4 is released.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Grimace posted:

I have to wonder how exactly they could get back on track.

Take FFX's combat and leveling system and slap it into a world thats created by a western development studio.

vvvvv Its like you read my mind.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 27, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Maybe Square-Enix should just stick to making game engines that look stunning and let someone more capable to create the actual RPGs. If there's something (or anything) they can do anymore is make some eye candy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Maybe Square-Enix should just stick to making game engines that look stunning and let someone more capable to create the actual RPGs. If there's something (or anything) they can do anymore is make some eye candy.

They are like the Japanese version of ID Software nowadays. Good game engines, but bad games that don't really utilize them very well.

The Grimace posted:

Square-Enix is kind of slacking in that although their games always look beautiful now, they have had extremely long development cycles since the move to PS2.

Whatever happened to that one Final Fantasy XIII action game? It was suppose to have come out before XIII-2, now it appears to have been canceled?

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 27, 2012

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Bravely Default seems to be the RPG that people want Square-Enix to make, it just happens to not have the Final Fantasy name. It's probably a good thing it doesn't, given how much that name has been dragged through the mud.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I said come in! posted:

Whatever happened to that one Final Fantasy XIII action game? It was suppose to have come out before XIII-2, now it appears to have been canceled?
Not canceled, Versus is coming out, eventually, whenever

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just want them to dabble in other genres like they used to like Einhander for example.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 27, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I could do away with Square entirely if IF were capable of sitting themselves down, doing away with half their 'oh japan' quotient, and finding that magical sweet spot that would make their games fun. They've got a knack for coming up with surprisingly strategic or original battle systems, just they're usually too slow or the rest of the game is pretty dire.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
They wouldn't necessarily have to put FFVII on the PS3. I'd buy the crap out of a remake on the Vita/PSP using the Crisis Core engine. I also like FFVII though so I'm in the minority here. :( Wacky poo poo is what makes that game memorable for me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Stelas posted:

I could do away with Square entirely if IF were capable of sitting themselves down, doing away with half their 'oh japan' quotient, and finding that magical sweet spot that would make their games fun. They've got a knack for coming up with surprisingly strategic or original battle systems, just they're usually too slow or the rest of the game is pretty dire.

One of Square Enix's best games in the last decade was The World Ends With You. Whether it was due to the handheld platform, or the creation of a completely new IP, they managed to make an incredibly fun game filled with new ideas.

With their current management, I can't see a game like that being developed on a main console. They try to play it safe when there's millions of dollars invested in a game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

All of Square-Enix's good games are on portables now. The problem with this is that they are much less inclined to localizing their portable games.

Hey, Type-0 team, where's my localized version of FF Type-0 you guys said you were doing?!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I am fairly convinced that 90% of the people who like FFVII like a game they remember that doesn't exist. If they did a photorealistic version of all the insane cartoony poo poo that was in FFVII, it would be completely ridiculous, and I think people forget that stuff exists.

I don't think they need a photorealistic version, I'd rather have it stay cartoony myself. Like knock it down a few pegs to Tales Of series style, not the hyperrealistic style the latest FF's always go for.

Though I think if they kept in the whole Wall Market sequence and redid that in HD with nicer graphics it would be the best and funniest thing. I don't think any FF has ever done something as goofy as that since. :allears:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait wait wait...

The best way to describe Dragon's Dogma is more "The Elder Scrolls meets Demons Souls". You will struggle to find any resemblance to Monster Hunter other than "large monsters that you may farm" and "party of 4" (except the party is you and 3 bots!).

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Last Nier post but that Zelda tribute at the end of the Barren Temple boss was pretty drat funny

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bleep posted:

Bravely Default seems to be the RPG that people want Square-Enix to make, it just happens to not have the Final Fantasy name. It's probably a good thing it doesn't, given how much that name has been dragged through the mud.
Wait, you know what Bravely Default plays like? I've watched every trailer I have seen and I still can't tell.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, you know what Bravely Default plays like? I've watched every trailer I have seen and I still can't tell.

There's a demo out today in Japan, there'll probably be some gameplay footage soon.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

There's a demo out today in Japan, there'll probably be some gameplay footage soon.
Oh okay, so it's an old-school FF game at heart, like the four warriors of light. I had suspected that but maybe I just couldn't get beyond how weird the title is to confirm it.

I like what Square SAYS the title means, something about bravely doing your own thing, unbound by fate or responsibility. Sorry Square, even in Japan they have English dictionaries and you don't just get to make up new definitions of words all by yourself.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cartoon Man posted:

Take FFX's combat and leveling system and slap it into a world thats created by a western development studio.

Good news! You can play that game right now. :)

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
If anyone here has the PS2 Classic version of Persona 3 FES, download it again.
There was a bug that made the game crash. It was fixed, but since PS2 games can't be patched like PS3 games, the game has to be downloaded and installed again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was reading a review of Spec Ops: the Line, and this listed as a negative: "Relentless killing overrides moral dilemmas." Uh...welcome to the world of video games?

This is why Saint's Row 2 was so great. The morality of the story matched the gameplay. In cutscenes you're a ruthless lunatic and when playing the game you're inevitably going to be a ruthless lunatic too. Mainstream games either need to move away from killing as their primary play mechanic, or be honest and simply embrace it across the entire game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yechezkel posted:

There was a bug that made the game crash. It was fixed, but since PS2 games can't be patched like PS3 games, the game has to be downloaded and installed again.

Do you know if this only has to do with crashing? I hope they fixed the flickering, I can't play the game until they do and it's not worth firing up and risking a seizure over :(

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was reading a review of Spec Ops: the Line, and this listed as a negative: "Relentless killing overrides moral dilemmas." Uh...welcome to the world of video games?

This is why Saint's Row 2 was so great. The morality of the story matched the gameplay. In cutscenes you're a ruthless lunatic and when playing the game you're inevitably going to be a ruthless lunatic too. Mainstream games either need to move away from killing as their primary play mechanic, or be honest and simply embrace it across the entire game.

Disconnect between the characterisation of the PC and the actual situations the player gets into really bother me. It's cliche but GTA is probably the worst about this. Probably RDR too for the same reasons.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a difference between relentless killing and relentless killing combined with trying to make the character not seem like an rear end in a top hat. Like in GTA3 your character shoots a girl for talking too much so it makes sense that he would drive a taxi off a roof into a crowd of civilians. In GTA 4 you run over 5 guys in a cop car and in the cutscene Niko is talking about how he wants to be a good guy.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

Do you know if this only has to do with crashing? I hope they fixed the flickering, I can't play the game until they do and it's not worth firing up and risking a seizure over :(
I have no idea. The post from the link said nothing about flickering problems.

update on UC2 loading times:
I compared loading times between the Bluray version of Uncharted 2 and the download version that came out this week with the 60-minute trial. I compared the loading times of random chapters, along with the initial load time and load time for multiplayer.

Although there was some improvement with load times on the download version compared to the Bluray version, it wasn't consistent across the board. Other than Chapter 6, which had a 16 second improvement, loading times on the download version either were the same as with the Bluray version or had a 1 to 7 second reduction. Not enough in my opinion to ditch the disc for the download version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Gah, that sucks, but thanks for the heads up!

• Locked thread