Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Nice job. :)

My team won our second consecutive league championship last night. :c00lbert: I shot 242-246-246 for a 734 series, which I was quite pleased with. :) If that's the last series I ever bowl in my childhood center (which closes in two weeks), then I'm okay with that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Excellent ... 246 triplicate. Good excuse to punch up some new gear!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Had our banquet/payout last night. New awards for the fridge!

250 game, League Champion, and 140 pins over average series.

And for having the 3rd highest series in the league, I got a coffee mug... v:shobon:v

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
USBC : 25 dollar dues , $1.25 worth of swag ..

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

flacoman954 posted:

USBC : 25 dollar dues , $1.25 worth of swag ..

I think we have our next thread title.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
If you're paying 25 dollars in usbc dues, that's a local issue, not national. I pay 16 in mid-mo. There's other stuff you get with the membership besides crappy magnets as well.

http://www.bowl.com/memberrewards

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah national dues are only $10. I might ask your local and state associations what they're actually doing with that money. We pay $15 here in central Illinois.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Toenut and I started our PBA sports league last night. We have five patterns alternating every 3/4 weeks: starts out with the cheetah pattern, goes to Earl Anthony, then goes to Viper, then PBA Tournament of Champions, and then toenut decided to be particularly sadistic and suggested we end the season and do the Sweeper on the PBA Open pattern. Naturally everyone loved that idea.

Its actually a lot of fun!

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Yeah, I can't wait to get completely humbled by a pattern that is more difficult than cheetah.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Cheetah is actually probably the easiest pattern on tour in that it's very clearly defined where you're going to be playing it and adjusting is simple. Good luck on the open pattern though. Have everyone on the team play in the same area and keep moving deeper inside. All it takes is one person on the pair to gently caress it all up.

I'm actually currently driving a half hour to bowl in a sport league on Tuesdays. We're on a "Modified USBC White" pattern that's dogshit, then we move to Middle Road. Last week we had a rack so bad that our team life 15 solid 7 pins over 3 games. So glad I made this decision.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Been bowling the Kegel Navigation Series this summer so far and I'm 4 weeks in. First week I bowled on Broadway, which I had a pretty tough time on. It was really weird the whole series because on the left lane I was fine, and I actually got a strike most of the time on it. But the right lane was a whole different story, I left the 2-8-10 or some variation, no joke, at least 10 times. Shot 502 because I couldn't string anything together and was lucky to get there to be honest.

Second week, I bowled Easy Street, which is a pretty close to a standard house shot I think. Shot 649 on it, so it was nice to rebound.

Last night, I bowled Middle Road for 2 series (pre-bowling for next week). Shot 210-216-222 for a 648 the first series and 193-187-270 for a 650 for the second one. I found this pattern to be easier than Broadway because it was a little more forgiving on the outside if you missed. I was playing a line a lot more inside than I normally do, but it was working pretty well (hence the name of the pattern).

Its been fun to try some shots that are outside of my comfort zone, and I'm really looking forward to shooting some of the sport patterns, but we don't get to those for another 3 weeks. I missed the first week of this league, which had the USBC nationals pattern down, which I heard was really tough, so it sucks that I missed that one.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Any updates?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Here's my update. gently caress 7-10 splits that happen when you absolutely bury the ball in the pocket. Why in holy hell does that happen? Has happened no less than 2 or 3 times per night to me in my league the past 4 weeks and I mean these balls are buried right where they should be in the pocket but loving solid 7-10s, so frustrating.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

flacoman954 posted:

Any updates?

208 and two turkeys last night :woop: :woop:

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

Toad on a Hat posted:

Hell , i'll take it.. Trying to get my knees better right now and go for a fresh set of lube shots for my knees this summer.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

Toad on a Hat posted:

And starting next week we get hosed! Bring it on Chameleon.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

toenut posted:

And starting next week we get hosed! Bring it on Chameleon.

Hell yeah :cool:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Here's my update. gently caress 7-10 splits that happen when you absolutely bury the ball in the pocket. Why in holy hell does that happen? Has happened no less than 2 or 3 times per night to me in my league the past 4 weeks and I mean these balls are buried right where they should be in the pocket but loving solid 7-10s, so frustrating.

A high flush 7-10 is exceedingly rare and if it happens often then the rack you're bowling on is probably hosed.

A "solid" 7-10 is actually a ball that comes in about a board light, causing a soft 10 pin. Then all you need is a pin to miss the 7 and viola. This actually causes a 7-10 more often than going through the nose and is pretty common.

Update on my summer sport league: Made a hand position adjustment and shot 590 this week after bowling awful for 3 weeks on a medium difficulty shot. We skunked the other team 22-0 and have never won less than 16 points in a night. We are leading by a lot and people aren't very happy about it. I love angry bowlers.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
A Nerf football is a good tool for watching revs and axis tilt. A quick round of catch ,underhand lets you see what's what.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Shot on the Wall Street pattern from Kegal last night. Its a recreation pattern thats pretty close to a house shot so it wasn't too different than what I'm used to except maybe that the back ends had a little more snap. Shot 192-244-229. The other team wasn't there so I don't know how we did, but they were the 1st place team with us sitting (way behind) in 2nd. Same pattern next week and then on to our first sport pattern of the summer.

Does anyone know where I can see some oil diagrams for PBA shots? I looked on their website and it only describes them in words which isn't very enlightening.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://apps.bowl.com/PBAExperience/

PBAOIL2011

You didn't get that from me

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Nice, thanks. :)

I had never seen the shark pattern before, but that looks really hard.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Haven't bowled on it yet but it looks stupidly hard this year. It was one of my better patterns over the last few years but this year they shortened it by a couple feet and made it look like that. We're also going to bowl on the US Open pattern over the last two weeks of this summer league. That ought to be fun.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Got an awesome email today. I know what I'm spending my next 100 bucks on!

http://g2gemini.com/pba-replica-jerseys/

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Devo posted:

Haven't bowled on it yet but it looks stupidly hard this year. It was one of my better patterns over the last few years but this year they shortened it by a couple feet and made it look like that. We're also going to bowl on the US Open pattern over the last two weeks of this summer league. That ought to be fun.

Prepare for sub 100 games and frustrations abound!

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Shark is like the Us Open pattern in that it's not too bad if you can get deep inside early and create some room. The earlier you can move inside the better.

Last night was torture, apparently they did something to the approaches before we got there and it was impossible to slide. I had to change my timing and plant every single shot, and was amazed I only went like -30 and shot 570 for the series.

So of course I get paired up against a guy who's approach was to take one step at the line and throw, didn't even notice the change in the approach, and shot like 660. On a 170 average. :sigh:

Edit: Didn't mean to say the US Open shot isn't bad, it's torture either way, it's just slightly better if you can get inside quick.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Chameleon ended up not being as hard as I was expecting it to be. I just threw my standard house shot(between the 1st and 2nd arrow), and it worked fine. Went 196-175-125. The poor last game was due to me pulling the ball across my body too much.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Had my best series in league last night.

Went 170-198-266!

Think I finally figured out what I need to do on this house shot, adjusted my hand position a bit during the end of the first game and killed it the rest of the way out. Looking forward to next week to see if I can keep it up.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

toenut posted:

Chameleon ended up not being as hard as I was expecting it to be. I just threw my standard house shot(between the 1st and 2nd arrow), and it worked fine. Went 196-175-125. The poor last game was due to me pulling the ball across my body too much.

Chamelon can suck poo poo through a pig's anus, especially when you're playing with the same line as high revvers :mad:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Toad on a Hat posted:

Chamelon can suck poo poo through a pig's anus, especially when you're playing with the same line as high revvers :mad:

I like the chameleon ok. But then again I'm one of the high revvers :)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Toad on a Hat posted:

Hint: Get off that line. Even moving a couple boards parallel left can have a huge impact. Half the challenge of bowling is realizing how to adjust to not only where you're playing, but to where other people are playing as well. Put a different piece in your hand and move to find some oil.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Wall Street again last night. Pretty easy pattern much like any house shot. 248-198-204 for 650 total. Lost the 2nd game by 1 pin because I chopped a spare in the 9th frame, so even though I struck out the 10th I couldn't make it up. Won the rest of my points though. We have a sport pattern next week, but I'll be out of town so I'll have to make it up. Hopefully I won't miss it outright because I was hoping that the whole summer would be sport patterns.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Threw five games last night. Something like 145, 199, 168, 191, 176. Something was off the whole time, because no matter what I tried to do I ended up high. I'm a lefty with a strong curve, so I ended up leaving a dozen 2-4-7's on the night. When I gave up my curve and just threw center pocket I was getting more consistent strikes, and when I didn't strike I'd get 8 or 9 down rather than 7 or split 8s. First game had 3 nasty splits in the first 5 frames.

I never clean my ball (have had it for about 5 years), and use it for spares as well. Should I just follow the cleaning advice in the OP and pretend like I'm not an idiot? Would it help? I feel like at this juncture I'm so used to how my ball performs that I don't really need to do anything with it.

Also: holy poo poo has rock climbing helped my bowling stamina. Used to be that 4 concurrent games would wear out my middle/ring finger tendons to the point where a 5th game would start hurting me, and trying to make a fist would feel sore for a few days afterward. Been climbing for a few months now, and my arm's not sore after 5 games last night at all. At all. Guess the two activities share the same muscle groups, and rock climbing's just a lot more demanding. Anyone else that bowls and climbs notice this?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Pander posted:

Threw five games last night. Something like 145, 199, 168, 191, 176. Something was off the whole time, because no matter what I tried to do I ended up high. I'm a lefty with a strong curve, so I ended up leaving a dozen 2-4-7's on the night. When I gave up my curve and just threw center pocket I was getting more consistent strikes, and when I didn't strike I'd get 8 or 9 down rather than 7 or split 8s. First game had 3 nasty splits in the first 5 frames.

I never clean my ball (have had it for about 5 years), and use it for spares as well. Should I just follow the cleaning advice in the OP and pretend like I'm not an idiot? Would it help? I feel like at this juncture I'm so used to how my ball performs that I don't really need to do anything with it.

Also: holy poo poo has rock climbing helped my bowling stamina. Used to be that 4 concurrent games would wear out my middle/ring finger tendons to the point where a 5th game would start hurting me, and trying to make a fist would feel sore for a few days afterward. Been climbing for a few months now, and my arm's not sore after 5 games last night at all. At all. Guess the two activities share the same muscle groups, and rock climbing's just a lot more demanding. Anyone else that bowls and climbs notice this?

If it's been 5 years bring it to your local pro shop and tell them to bake it. They'll throw it in a low temp oven and pull all the oil out of the ball, then they can also bring it back to factory surfacing. This will add anywhere between 3-10 boards of hook and make it snap harder on the back end. Do it regardless if you're used to how it hooks now, it will help, trust me.

Finally put everything together tonight and shot 205-208-233 on a shot that got progressively tighter as the night went on. Also won the random drawing at the end of the night. Most splits converted in the last game, and I made the 3-6-7 in the first frame to win $50. Not bad.

Grumbling about our team gets louder with each progressing week, considering the last three weeks we've gone 22-0, 18-4 and 21-1 on points. We lead by 8 at this point. We're resigned to the fact that they're going to tell us to take a hike at the end of the year after payouts. I'll just sniff my money and laugh. :getin:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Started the Summer doubles league last night with my brother. Went 150-193, 181-198; 1 match of 2 games on one set of lanes, then another against another team, so essentially 2 "weeks" of matches each week.

Pretty happy with how I rolled. Especially since by rolling better in the second match I got "performance points." I'm also super happy to be back in this house that actually takes care of their equipment and knows how to run their poo poo.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Critical posted:

Hint: Get off that line. Even moving a couple boards parallel left can have a huge impact. Half the challenge of bowling is realizing how to adjust to not only where you're playing, but to where other people are playing as well. Put a different piece in your hand and move to find some oil.

Yeah I pretty much have to hit third arrow or I'm screwed in this pattern.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
And chameleon kicked my rear end this week as ToaH can attest to. It was the first time I had to bowl with another lefty though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

toenut posted:

And chameleon kicked my rear end this week as ToaH can attest to. It was the first time I had to bowl with another lefty though.

We are such spoiled bitches, aren't we? Lefty power!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

:bravo:

Yay awards!

Had my first really decent week 2 weeks ago and got these last night.

266 game and 634 series.

First bowling league in almost 20 years and I think I'm finally finding my groove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Nice job. 2 week turn around on awards is equally as impressive compared to how it works where I'm at.

• Locked thread