Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shalinor posted:

I wonder if it's just a question of presentation/genre? If you made a modern IAP arcade game, could it work without feeling scummy? Or has gaming culture evolved to where "10c a life!" will never be viable?

There's actually a lot of F2P games that do almost exactly that. Vindictus and Dungeon Fighter Online spring to mind. Of course, it's quite possible (often easy, even) to get through without dying, so it's more of a kludge for lovely players.

It's really not that big of a deal for co-op games - those who abuse it have more money than sense, and those who are good enough to not need it, won't need to spend a penny. I can't think of any competitive ones that fit that description.

So, what's the deal with the Gundam game? You get a certain number of free credits per day, and pay more if you want to keep playing? That isn't too unreasonable, if you're just playing those few matches a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shalinor posted:

While this is true, it's kind of strange that we turn our noses up at IAP equivalents to quarter suckers... and yet the entire previous generation happily pissed away quarters by the dozen in arcades.

I wonder if it's just a question of presentation/genre? If you made a modern IAP arcade game, could it work without feeling scummy? Or has gaming culture evolved to where "10c a life!" will never be viable?

I think you are dead on about presentation/genre, Just different audiences that have different expectations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I always looked at credits in arcades as paying the operator for the service they provide rather than specifically paying for the game itself. For facilitating a place where people can play games socially, upkeep for when dumbasses abuse the cabinets, and to keep the lineup of games relatively fresh.

Not to mention arcade games in the 90s were objectively superior to the stuff we had on consoles, so it was almost like a luxury tax.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I wouldn't ever call shoving quarters into an arcade machine "happy". It was always frustrating, especially near the end of their relevance when it cost a loving dollar to play Tekken. God drat.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I got a ton more mileage out of arcade games when I realised that continuing nuked your high score. It's more fun to go the distance and try as hard as you can, knowing you've just got the one shot. More bragging rights, too.

Credit feeding always struck me as something for people with more money than sense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

It's not hard to get PSN cards for other regions, it's just that the markup is ridiculous.
That and the dollar/yen exchange rate is awful, which not only makes import games more expensive than they've ever been, but also discourages people from buying them, leading to even lower supplies and more markups. My local shop simply can't risk picking up even one copy of a game unless they are SURE there is someone willing to pay $100+ for it. I'm sure 95% of their revenue comes from all the other stuff that is in the store, music CDs and DVDs of Korean dramas and models of final fantasy characters and stuff.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 28, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I got a ton more mileage out of arcade games when I realised that continuing nuked your high score. It's more fun to go the distance and try as hard as you can, knowing you've just got the one shot. More bragging rights, too.

Credit feeding always struck me as something for people with more money than sense.
What's the difference? You're still pumping quarters into machines. More quarters, in fact, since continues were usually cheaper than starting a new game.

Mainly though, the prospect of paying a dollar a game to play a fairly mediocre looking third person shooter isn't very exciting to me when there are better games I can play without having to take into consideration regressive business models.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So uh, do I still need to redownload Persona 3:FES if I've had no problems with it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

So uh, do I still need to redownload Persona 3:FES if I've had no problems with it?

It wouldn't hurt if you can do it. Better than having a problem with it later.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cbouncerrun posted:

Do you or anyone else for that matter, happen to have a complete save with Game+ mode? I don't wanna go through the game completely fresh again. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, haven't even finished it for the first time yet. Sorry.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My god but is Dust 514 just an abysmal experience presently.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cbouncerrun posted:

Nah, haven't even finished it for the first time yet. Sorry.

Ahh okay! I'm jealous that you're experiencing it the first time. It's fantastic, and honestly stays that way with each playthrough. But the huge amount of grinding can get rough.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

Do you or anyone else for that matter, happen to have a complete save with Game+ mode? I don't wanna go through the game completely fresh again. :(

Umm, deleting the game won't delete the saves on your memory card, right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feenix posted:

My god but is Dust 514 just an abysmal experience presently.

Can you elaborate on this? At the moment I'm super interested in this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Umm, deleting the game won't delete the saves on your memory card, right?

It shouldn't! I wish I could use a PS2 or PS2 virtual memory save, plenty of those on Gamefaqs, but PSN version uses a different save format, so it's no good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DrNutt posted:

Can you elaborate on this? At the moment I'm super interested in this game.
Technically I'm already saying more than I probably should. It goes live open tomorrow so check it out. I'm willing to bet some people like it, but I'm fully expecting this thread to implode tomorrow under the weight of incredulous disappointment. I know it's a beta but I mean... You can usually tell, right??

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
I am honestly enjoying Dust 514. The militia gear is total poo poo, but once you get out of it you can do some damage.

My Heavy suit + Heavy Machine Gun seem to rack up kills. Now if I could only aim with that lovely controller I would be set (Keyboard + Mouse support can't come fast enough).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Feenix posted:

Technically I'm already saying more than I probably should. It goes live open tomorrow so check it out. I'm willing to bet some people like it, but I'm fully expecting this thread to implode tomorrow under the weight of incredulous disappointment. I know it's a beta but I mean... You can usually tell, right??

Oh right, I forgot there was an NDA.

I said come in! posted:

It shouldn't! I wish I could use a PS2 or PS2 virtual memory save, plenty of those on Gamefaqs, but PSN version uses a different save format, so it's no good.

No poo poo? What kind of voodoo magic are those PS2 classics running on?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

Not to mention arcade games in the 90s were objectively superior to the stuff we had on consoles, so it was almost like a luxury tax.

This, I think, is the real key. Arcades were peerless experiences because the closest experience was hundreds of dollars on an Atari that wasn't even a close approximation. Arcade games were an experience you couldn't get elsewhere and so I wouldn't think twice about putting in a quarter to play Choplifter.

F2P games are competing on equal footing with both professionally produce buy once games but also with actual bona-fide free games and old games of the past. They really have to earn their place with a more discriminating eye than they would have if they were head and shoulders above what their competitors could provide.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrNutt posted:

No poo poo? What kind of voodoo magic are those PS2 classics running on?

That's a good question. A lot of people have been wondering that too, since these are just direct ports of the PS2 versions off the game disc. Or at least everyone thinks they are.

[edit]
I think what it comes down to is I should just bust out my PS2 discs and play them with that emulator on my PC.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I just saw some gameplay videos for Dishonored where the developers provide commentary of both stealth and violent playthroughs of a mission, and the game looks absolutely brilliant. One aspect I found particularly noteworthy is that even though you're an assassin, it is possible to complete the game without killing anybody at all, even your targets for each mission.

Seriously, give the videos a watch because it looks fantastic. It's kinda like Bioshock mixed with Hitman and Assassins Creed, and it's just as great as it sounds. You can see the gameplay videos here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samuari Sanders, I got a question for you! In this video here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOenqMiKeeE at around 6:40-45, the Simcity like game that this guy is talking about, do you know what it might be called?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I said come in! posted:

Samuari Sanders, I got a question for you! In this video here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOenqMiKeeE at around 6:40-45, the Simcity like game that this guy is talking about, do you know what it might be called?
If you mean the one he shows right after Winning Eleven, it's The Convini 3, a convenience store simulator.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

The Conveni 3.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Armor-Piercing posted:

If you mean the one he shows right after Winning Eleven, it's The Conbini 3, a convenience store simulator.

Haha, Japan has the coolest sims. If it was a simcity like clone, I would totally play that. But yeah, that's the game! Thanks, and Policenaut too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Neo Rasa posted:

Like Samurai Sanders said, Saints Row 2 is an open world game that handles this just fine.

Making your player character a remorseless psychopath is just lazy, not handling it just fine. Should all GTA/Saints Row/whatever games just use this basic theme? That's repetitive and boring.

Then you get a game like LA Noire and what does everybody hate about? How forced it is. Everything you CAN'T do. Feeling like you're on rails, being led through the game by your nose.

This is the balancing act that can't really be solved because of how video games are. You either have to sacrifice a storyline or player freedom. Would GTA4 really have been any better if it kept the themes of empty violence and all that, and then made it so you couldn't pull your gun whenever you wanted, pedestrians always jumped out of the way of your car, etc., like in LA Noire?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought Red Dead Redemption got all of the issues with open world games fixed, and was drat near perfect. I even liked the story parts that took place in Mexico.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I thought Red Dead Redemption got all of the issues with open world games fixed, and was drat near perfect. I even liked the story parts that took place in Mexico.
Really? The way I saw it it was the same as GTA, a "poor me" main character who still mows down dozens of people per engagement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The whole "Sacrifice story or sacrifice gameplay" is an internet forum problem. it doesn't exist in the wild.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? The way I saw it it was the same as GTA, a "poor me" main character who still mows down dozens of people per engagement.

It's a pretty overdone story, but I really like the way it's presented in this game. I dunno, it's not everyones thing, I can understand that, but as far as game stories goes, it was pretty good in my opinion.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wouldn't say he's "poor me", he's pretty unapologetic about threatening people with violence or shooting people who gently caress with him. He wants a better life for his son but he doesn't seem to feel a lot of guilt about his past or his nature.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

robot roll call posted:

I wouldn't say he's "poor me", he's pretty unapologetic about threatening people with violence or shooting people who gently caress with him. He wants a better life for his son but he doesn't seem to feel a lot of guilt about his past or his nature.
He keeps playing the groveling lackey to people he hates, he clearly has serious doubts about his self worth. It doesn't jive at all with being able to take on gunfights outnumbered twelve to one and still win.

edit: I feel the same way about Nathan Drake, why is he in the treasure hunting business when he has those kinds of fighting skills? He should hire himself out as the highest paid mercenary ever.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 29, 2012

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Samurai Sanders posted:

He keeps playing the groveling lackey to people he hates, he clearly has serious doubts about his self worth.

In the case of the people he is working for on the top, he really has no choice. As for everyone else, I dunno. They need to come up with reasons for you to do missions in these games, most of the time John does them because he needs information or help. It never really came across as groveling or doubt to me.

Edit: you're right about Drake though, how many hundreds of people does he singlehandedly murder so he can find treasure?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

robot roll call posted:

See my problem with the game is he often doesn't shoot people that gently caress with him. You do a guy a favor and threaten him that he better hold up his end of the bargain OR ELSE! Then you go back to him and he doesn't fulfill his end of the bargain but promises to do so if you help him again and then you threaten him again, lather, rinse, repeat. It got really old, really quick and was especially bad in Mexico.

It also really isn't a good example of story and gameplay meshing. You're in a hurry to try and save your family but y'know, you can go hunt random wildlife or outlaws, play poker, rob banks, pick flowers and other things that don't really show you being too concerned about your family. Plus there's the whole outlaw trying to go straight thing, which you really don't have to act like at all.

Very few games pull off a true mesh between gameplay and story. Usually the experience of the player is not the experience of the character in the story. That's kind of one of the things that makes Journey so special actually. The story, gameplay and player experience are one, which is especially impressive given how linear it is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

You could probably excise most of Mexico from the whole game and not lose much.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The problem is that, especially in Mexico, the missions you take on typically have absolutely nothing to do with your goal of finding Javier Escuella and Williamson. They all feel pretty much like chores or favours, and while the game definitely acknowledges the fact that Marston is being dicked around, it could have at least thrown you bone and given you more missions where you actively work towards your goal of finding them in some way. Like maybe one of the characters' informants who knows the location of one of your targets has been put on a prison train and you have to break him out. That sort of setup directly benefits Marston, as well as the person he's doing the mission for, so it makes sense. And we all know that train robberies are really cool and fun.

I still like Mexico though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mexico is such a bad part of the game. I could never play through RDR because of it because god drat.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, Mexico was a really bad design decision because it puts a hard stop to any momentum in the plot, you get involved with poo poo that doesn't even make sense for them to involve an outsider with, and their placement of locations ensure the maximum travel time over the most homogeneous terrain imaginable. Seriously, up North you've got swamps and snow and rolling land and desert and down below it's all brown all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I always find seeing people talk about RDR funny, since while I played through it once and it took me a long time to do it, it is my dad's favorite game ever as he played it to 100% three times. Three! Including side quests and stuff. That goddamn amazes me.

• Locked thread