Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really think that it's one of the best games ever made and captured the spirit of a Western like no game has before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah me too. Even if the story loses some momentum down in Mexico it's still a great game. I thought Mexico as an area was just as fun and interesting to explore as the other areas, plus it gave me a chance to practice my spanish.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

RDR is the only Rockstar game I have played to 100%. There are still some trophies I missed, though. I will not kill the buffalo!!!

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I can understand if RDR isn't your thing, it really isn't for everyone. But god drat I love that game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For me it was a combination of my utter hatred for the interaction between Marston and the other characters, and a bunch of crap left over from GTA like forced rides to mission start locations (with more of that character interaction of course). It's just a bunch of little things that led me to shelf the game, same as I did GTA4.

edit: I'm thinking about trying the Walking Dead, it doesn't have any performance issues or anything on the PS3 does it? Also, I have wondered this before, but why doesn't this or other episodic games I have seen have a discount for buying the whole season together? Anything else like that would.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 29, 2012

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me it was a combination of my utter hatred for the interaction between Marston and the other characters, and a bunch of crap left over from GTA like forced rides to mission start locations (with more of that character interaction of course). It's just a bunch of little things that led me to shelf the game, same as I did GTA4.

edit: I'm thinking about trying the Walking Dead, it doesn't have any performance issues or anything on the PS3 does it? Also, I have wondered this before, but why doesn't this or other episodic games I have seen have a discount for buying the whole season together? Anything else like that would.

Don't buy it expecting the episodes to come out on time. The last one was released a couple months ago while the second episode that was supposed to come out shortly after that is only now coming out tomorrow. You will probably be waiting a long time to complete the season. Other than that I noticed some stuttering issues but nothing interrupting the gameplay itself.

Yar The Pirate fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 29, 2012

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Walking Dead is discounted if you buy the whole season. If you buy the whole season it's only $20 compared to $25 if you buy them individually.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RandolphCarter posted:

The Walking Dead is discounted if you buy the whole season. If you buy the whole season it's only $20 compared to $25 if you buy them individually.
Oh, so it is, on the PS3. I just saw it for $25 on Steam and thought "no game is ever cheaper on the PS3 than on Steam".

Anyway yeah I dunno, if I'm going to be waiting a long time, maybe better to start it later.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Making your player character a remorseless psychopath is just lazy, not handling it just fine. Should all GTA/Saints Row/whatever games just use this basic theme? That's repetitive and boring.

Then you get a game like LA Noire and what does everybody hate about? How forced it is. Everything you CAN'T do. Feeling like you're on rails, being led through the game by your nose.

This is the balancing act that can't really be solved because of how video games are. You either have to sacrifice a storyline or player freedom. Would GTA4 really have been any better if it kept the themes of empty violence and all that, and then made it so you couldn't pull your gun whenever you wanted, pedestrians always jumped out of the way of your car, etc., like in LA Noire?

You can come at it from the total opposite direction and make a branching story which unfolds based on what the player does. This isn't new, every Fallout game (except 3, BOS, and Tactics) did this, for instance.

Also I don't see how making your character match the gameplay is lazy. You, the player, will act in an insane and reckless manner in Saint's Row (and in GTA) therefore the only thing that makes sense is to make the player character insane and reckless.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Overlord K posted:

I always find seeing people talk about RDR funny, since while I played through it once and it took me a long time to do it, it is my dad's favorite game ever as he played it to 100% three times. Three! Including side quests and stuff. That goddamn amazes me.

My dad is a HUUUUGE HUUUUGE fan of westerns. I wish he could work a ps3 controller because I think he'd adore RDR. I can see him treating it like I treat some other sandboxy games, just rollin' around the countryside doing cowboy things. :unsmith:

Put me firmly in the camp of "RDR is a Very Good Game". drat, I need to plat it someday, come to think of it.

Also, I am digging the gently caress out of Dead Space. Been playing it incredibly randomly, haven't had a lot of free time, but it's great so far. I want to meet, and hug the gently caress out of, whoever did the audio engineering. So good.

I've been playing the whole game so far with the plasma cutter. Initially I figured I'd do it for the trophy but now I just kinda like it anyway. It adds a challenge to the game, plus now that I'm better with it it seems plenty strong enough [with a few upgrades thrown at it], except I'm getting boned by the Brutes, specifically the one you face right after the first one you fight on the bridge. You fight him in a cramped area, and he keeps getting the drop on me. I'll get him, it's just tough considering it takes a few shots to stun him and I usually get caught running away from behind him after he comes out of his stun

Loving the atmosphere too, shame what I've heard about DS2 not being as good in this regard.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 29, 2012

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Stasis stasis stasis. That poo poo is crucial at some parts. It's even more useful in expert mode when you have scarce ammo. The Plasma cutter is a good option because you don't have to waste money on upgrades for other weapons

Also, the cheap for auto statsis refill is Triangle Square Triangle Triangle

e; Right now, I'm getting back into Skyrim. I think I'm going to play it a bit, then buy Demon's Souls. I look forward to getting into WRPGs. Skyrim was a fun plat.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2012

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

I've been playing the whole game so far with the plasma cutter. Initially I figured I'd do it for the trophy but now I just kinda like it anyway. It adds a challenge to the game, plus now that I'm better with it it seems plenty strong enough [with a few upgrades thrown at it], except I'm getting boned by the Brutes, specifically the one you face right after the first one you fight on the bridge. You fight him in a cramped area, and he keeps getting the drop on me. I'll get him, it's just tough considering it takes a few shots to stun him and I usually get caught running away from behind him after he comes out of his stun

Loving the atmosphere too, shame what I've heard about DS2 not being as good in this regard.

I played DS1 and DS2 as Plasma Cutter only and it's still very fun to play that way in both. When I played, it was about keeping your Stasis very high and loading up on rounds and it was a challenging but never unfair way to play. For the sequel, I didn't intend to play Plasma Cutter primary but ended up doing that with a handful of physics kills and one or two shots of weapons because it was a satisfying way to play.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

I played DS1 and DS2 as Plasma Cutter only and it's still very fun to play that way in both. When I played, it was about keeping your Stasis very high and loading up on rounds and it was a challenging but never unfair way to play. For the sequel, I didn't intend to play Plasma Cutter primary but ended up doing that with a handful of physics kills and one or two shots of weapons because it was a satisfying way to play.

Man, now that I think about it, that's going to be one thing I'll be really sad about in DS3. Since they've cannibalized the guns into dual purpose two-in-one and stuff, you won't be able to do a "One Gun" run anymore... That's gonna be a drat shame. My One Gun hardest difficulty run on DS1 was one of the most intense and awesome replays of a game I've ever had.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Squirtle Squadee posted:

e; Right now, I'm getting back into Skyrim. I think I'm going to play it a bit, then buy Demon's Souls. I look forward to getting into WRPGs. Skyrim was a fun plat.

Might want to wait until the Dawnguard DLC comes to PS3. Microsoft has exclusivity rights for what, a month I think?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Re: RDR and Marston's character

I think Marston has to be one of the best realized characters ever in video games. Maaaaybe not in regards to how he interacts with some of the other characters (esp. Mexico blah blah), but just... his general character-ness. This happened to me while playing RDR: I didn't start causing chaos and killing random bystanders while playing the main story because I just, well, couldn't. It would've been completely out of character for John to start doing something like that. He's fine with taking out hundreds of bandits or whatever, anything to get his family back, but never helpless civilians. That's just not something he would do, and he'll even comment on it if you do and you've been playing the good guy. If I had the urge to do something else than plough through storyline, I'd go hunting or picking flowers or just soak in that beautiful goddamn scenery, and it wasn't until I'd played through the game I'd start throwing dynamite at people's faces and that kind of stuff.

In GTAs I have absolutely no problem with destroying everything, and even in LA Noire I was constantly harassing civilians. Not in RDR. Not with John Marston. I just couldn't.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 29, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Absolutely do not buy it until all the episodes are released. The episodes were supposed to be monthly, but "monthly" has become "it'll be released when it's released" without much (if any) explanation. If all the episodes are released before 2013 I'll be surprised.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

...! posted:

Absolutely do not buy it until all the episodes are released. The episodes were supposed to be monthly, but "monthly" has become "it'll be released when it's released" without much (if any) explanation. If all the episodes are released before 2013 I'll be surprised.

Er, it's still monthly insofar as the first one was in May, the second in June. Telltale has done 1.5 month releases before and they have never broken schedule. I don't see why they would now.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Code Jockey posted:

I want to meet, and hug the gently caress out of, whoever did the audio engineering. So good.

Not sure if you mean all around sound or the music but, the Music is by Jason Graves, his brother is a goon, and that goon posts in the deadspace megathread. He is proud of his brother's work, maybe you should tell this goon that?

Overlord K posted:

Man, now that I think about it, that's going to be one thing I'll be really sad about in DS3. Since they've cannibalized the guns into dual purpose two-in-one and stuff, you won't be able to do a "One Gun" run anymore... That's gonna be a drat shame. My One Gun hardest difficulty run on DS1 was one of the most intense and awesome replays of a game I've ever had.

I don't get it. I thought plasma cutter only on the hardest difficulty for both games made the game trivial since you only need to worry about 1 gun to upgrade, and the suit, instead of spreading resources thin between multiple weapons.

I think on hardcore for DS2 I used 3 different plasma cutters since you can cheese the shop into giving free ammo and the upgrade works across the board for all 3 plasma cutters.

If it weren't for deadspace I wouldn't be supporting EA is any form. I don't know if that is a good thing or not, but given someone at EA said they have to sell 5million copies of DS3 in order to continue the franchise, I have a feeling DS3 might be the last hurrah for the franchise, until it is rebooted or remade in 2020. Of course shipping another movie tie in, comic, and psn/xbla game might help, though they will be something to be desired by the fans instead of being considered as optional supplementary media.

Yes, I have purchased every thing related to deadspace, I am a terrible human for knowingly buying into EA's poo poo.

The Gundam:battle operations F2P game is amazingly fun. 877megs, and has a fairly good connection to my JPN account, located in Minnesota. Battlefield doesn't even come close to how awesome this game is. Granted BF sucks poo poo, so maybe this is just a diamond encrusted turd but I'm enjoying it.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 29, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

Monthly has become monthly. For shame, Telltale.

Buy it and wait between episodes like everyone else, because you're older than 5 and can do that.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Code Jockey posted:

Fighting Brutes
Don't think this really warrants spoiler tags but the simplest way to fight Brutes is to stasis once and blow a leg off. This effectively immobilizes them and with a small amount of patience you can finish them off safely by playing catch with their explosives.

Also you should check out Dead Space 2, it's pretty rad. The hardcore mode that introduces was one of my most satisfying console experiences to date.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
So how many people killed the FBI douche's family, and then him, in the epilogue of RDR? I'll get us started with "a million times yes".

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, so it is, on the PS3. I just saw it for $25 on Steam and thought "no game is ever cheaper on the PS3 than on Steam".

Anyway yeah I dunno, if I'm going to be waiting a long time, maybe better to start it later.

Yea if you havent started Id definitely wait until all of the episodes are out. Really good game so far though

Hakkesshu posted:

Er, it's still monthly insofar as the first one was in May, the second in June. Telltale has done 1.5 month releases before and they have never broken schedule. I don't see why they would now.

Actually it was 2 months almost exactly. The first came out April 24th-ish. Not that its a really long time, but this was supposed to be a monthly release and there was 0 information during the hiatus

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 29, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Taratang posted:

Don't think this really warrants spoiler tags but the simplest way to fight Brutes is to stasis once and blow a leg off. This effectively immobilizes them and with a small amount of patience you can finish them off safely by playing catch with their explosives.

Yeah I keep seeing stasis and I facepalmed pretty drat hard that I forgot that one of the key gameplay elements existed and would basically solve my problem of "giant motherfucker rushing at me and getting me before I could move out of the way". :doh:

Scyron posted:

Not sure if you mean all around sound or the music but, the Music is by Jason Graves, his brother is a goon, and that goon posts in the deadspace megathread. He is proud of his brother's work, maybe you should tell this goon that?

The music is good [and I'll have to make a point to stop by that thread and mention my love of it] but I mean the atmospheric kind of stuff. "Sounds in other rooms", banging in the ceiling, that kind of thing - as well as my favorite, the way sound changes when you're out in the vacuum of space. That is so awesome.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I've said it a hundred times before, and I'll say it a hundred times again: for the best mix of story and gameplay in a sandbox then look no further than The Saboteur. Once you replace innocent cops with invading Nazis then open world fuckery becomes a public duty.

Also the story in RDR is mostly poo poo and John Marsten deserved to be in a better narrative. But the game though, it is such a beautifully realised world that I love it in spite of the single player campaign. I got a 100% save file on that thing, even played it through a second time with the radar off and not using dead eye or consumables. Rockstar make the best worlds, and one day they'll get someone in that knows how to weave a narrative that matches it.

Someone really needs to get around to making a thread about the disconnect between character and gameplay because this comes up a lot and it'd be good to go on a long ramble about it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Parkingtigers posted:

I've said it a hundred times before, and I'll say it a hundred times again: for the best mix of story and gameplay in a sandbox then look no further than The Saboteur. Once you replace innocent cops with invading Nazis then open world fuckery becomes a public duty.

This, and "Buy Yakuza 4 [and probably 3 if you don't mind orphanages]" should be at the top of every page of this thread. :respek:

Saboteur is so good. Funny it comes up again today, in the car this morning I was thinking about the relative amount of time each of my platinums took, and Saboteur took the longest by far, at like 3 months or something [I was also in a period of super-casual playing]. I loved every minute of it and it never felt too grind-y.

quote:

John Marsten deserved to be in a better narrative.

Now this I can get behind. Marsten was an amazing character, and deserves to be in more games.

I would day-one-no-questions-asked buy a prequel to RDR showing the events leading up to what happens in RDR.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

This, and "Buy Yakuza 4 [and probably 3 if you don't mind orphanages]" should be at the top of every page of this thread. :respek:

I agree to an extent, but Yakuza is not a sandbox game unless you call every RPG ever a sandbox game.

Also, The Saboteur is great and playing it taught me never to listen to game reviews if I think a game looks interesting enough.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SpacePig posted:

I agree to an extent, but Yakuza is not a sandbox game unless you call every RPG ever a sandbox game.

Oh no, didn't mean to imply that at all. Just that everyone should play Yakuza 4 and Saboteur.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Scyron posted:

I don't get it. I thought plasma cutter only on the hardest difficulty for both games made the game trivial since you only need to worry about 1 gun to upgrade, and the suit, instead of spreading resources thin between multiple weapons.

In the case of that and me saying it was intense, it was just... well, it was my third replay proper after I hadn't played the game in about 6 months, so all that memorizing I had of enemy spawns and being used to using the line gun and rifle just kind of went flying out the window when I played it with just the cutter. I admit it wasn't as edge of my seat as my first time through, but it was the only time I've ever felt near the exact same experience when replaying a game as when I first played it. :allears:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

Oh no, didn't mean to imply that at all. Just that everyone should play Yakuza 4 and Saboteur.

Oh, well, okay then.

I just always remember all of the game review magazines and websites saying that Yakuza was "Japan's version of Grand Theft Auto", and was shocked and angry when that turned out to be completely false. So I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression of the game.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, so all this talk about RDR makes me really want to try the game now. Kind of wish I bought it and Mortal Kombat back during the PS+ sale last month. I'll keep a lookout for cheap sales on the game. Probably won't be that much now, it's been out over a year...

Hmm, yeah, $24 for the GOTY version on Amazon.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SpacePig posted:

Oh, well, okay then.

I just always remember all of the game review magazines and websites saying that Yakuza was "Japan's version of Grand Theft Auto", and was shocked and angry when that turned out to be completely false. So I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression of the game.

For sure - Yakuza is nothing at all like GTA/RDR/etc and I can't imagine anyone drawing parallels except on the idea that both of them feature characters running around doing things on a map. :v:

And $24 is a good price for RDR. The GOTY has Undead Nightmare too right? That's a great experience too, if a lot different in some ways [the near-constant threat versus vanilla RDR where you're being attacked only occasionally in the wild and the lack of plentiful ammo unless you conserve and play carefully]

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

In Canada, Future Shop has Red Dead Redemption GOTY for $20 for a week starting today. As good a time as any to pick it up if you haven't already.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I picked up RDR about a month ago as well and haven't been able to put it down. That GOTY package at either of those prices is too good to pass up.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Started replaying RDR after two years and it's still enjoyable just riding around shooting animals and dudes in the face. I'm guessing the people that don't like Mexico is because they don't speak spanish and can't understand the hilarious poo poo everyone says in that area.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

It really, really is too good to pass up. I beat the main campaign and haven't even touched Undead Nightmare or the multiplayer and it's still probably one of my favorite games of this console cycle.

I'm going to be starting the Metal Gear series. I got the PSOne version of MGS and the HD Collection. If I'm not burned out by the time I am done with all of that, I'll pick up 4. I've never played a single game in the series before but I am am ready for the batshit insane story I've heard so much about to wash over me.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

According to the latest blogcast, PSN is getting a version of the board game Dungeon Twister next week. I've only been able to play the original version of it a couple of times so here's hoping there's enough people that spring on it once it releases.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Marogareh posted:

Started replaying RDR after two years and it's still enjoyable just riding around shooting animals and dudes in the face. I'm guessing the people that don't like Mexico is because they don't speak spanish and can't understand the hilarious poo poo everyone says in that area.

I don't like Mexico because everything is really far apart and separated only by deserts, so it's pretty boring to traverse. Also, the missions have nothing to do with you at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

I don't like Mexico because everything is really far apart and separated only by deserts, so it's pretty boring to traverse. Also, the missions have nothing to do with you at all.

This and also the plot in that part of the game is just bad. It's a really uninteresting "everyone that wants to rule is bad" plot with characters that are 1-dimensional, even for that game. Even the character you're supposed to care about is basically just there to be someone who tragically dies, which would have been more effective if there were any more to her than that. I mean, did anyone care when that girl got killed?

RDR does have the problem that it leads with it's best support character and you don't get another character that comes even close until the end.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The entirety of Mexico would have probably been better served as its own game. The subject matter and the like could be really interesting, and I'd totally love to play a game about a Mexican revolution, but not in my Wild West revenge story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

axleblaze posted:

This and also the plot in that part of the game is just bad. It's a really uninteresting "everyone that wants to rule is bad" plot with characters that are 1-dimensional, even for that game. Even the character you're supposed to care about is basically just there to be someone who tragically dies, which would have been more effective if there were any more to her than that. I mean, did anyone care when that girl got killed?

RDR does have the problem that it leads with it's best support character and you don't get another character that comes even close until the end.

I remember my reaction first being unsure that was actually her, then kind of... "that's it?"

• Locked thread