Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

news media, can explosions ever do anything than rock something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Baronjutter posted:

news media, can explosions ever do anything than rock something?

It's like how politicians always "slam" each other.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nenonen posted:

Annan's new plan for Syria is an interim government that would include members from both the regime and opposition but excluding "people whose participation would jeopardize cooperation". This is assumed to mean none other than Bashar al-Assad.

According to BBC, Russia has promised to support the plan but it's not known if they also agree with excluding Assad. But it'd be laughable to think that Bashar al-Assad could have any role in a new government after all that's happened. The Syria conference will take place on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18621678

My concern is that Assad would refuse, and then Russia would refuse to let UNSC to pressure him, and war continues.

He could have a role in the new government. He could be the first person the new government puts on trial for crimes against humanity. :haw:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Some huge news from Damascus, the FSA have managed to captured a Major General And Brigadier General in the suburbs of Damascus, one of whom works for the notorious Palestine Intelligence Branch, and another for central command. I've put together a blog post with the video and screen caps of their IDs, and it seems pretty certain it's who the FSA claims they are. It's pretty incredible these two high ranking figures can be captured in the suburbs of Damascus.

I'm also going to guess it wasn't pure luck they managed to capture them, possibly means they had inside help...

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 28, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brown Moses posted:

It's pretty incredible these two high ranking figures can be captured in the suburbs of Damascus.

It'd be hilarious if Damascus fell and/or Assad was captured/killed before Saturday. Not that that's going to happen, but this really does beg the question of how loyal the security forces in greater Damascus are.

Are there any recent good quality photos or videos of Bashar? I wonder if the stress has aged him yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It would be pretty funny if those two generals were just going about their day when some guys in ski masks just clocked them and dragged them into a van. Not very conventional warfare.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brown Moses posted:

Some huge news from Damascus, the FSA have managed to captured a Major General And Brigadier General in the suburbs of Damascus, one of whom works for the notorious Palestine Intelligence Branch, and another for central command. I've put together a blog post with the video and screen caps of their IDs, and it seems pretty certain it's who the FSA claims they are. It's pretty incredible these two high ranking figures can be captured in the suburbs of Damascus.

I'm also going to guess it wasn't pure luck they managed to capture them, possibly means they had inside help...

Not sure if it's the same for others, but the map on your page isn't loading; clicking the larger map link brings it up on google though.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It would be pretty funny if those two generals were just going about their day when some guys in ski masks just clocked them and dragged them into a van. Not very conventional warfare.

Chances are probably pretty good that (or something similar) is what happened.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Vernii posted:

Chances are probably pretty good that (or something similar) is what happened.

Seriously. The idea is that you disable or otherwise silence the target, shove them into a vehicle, and finish rendering them harmless (to whatever degree) on the way to the POW camp (née shed). It's not super-common in guerrilla conflicts because it's a bad idea.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Totally Reasonable posted:

Seriously. The idea is that you disable or otherwise silence the target, shove them into a vehicle, and finish rendering them harmless (to whatever degree) on the way to the POW camp (née shed). It's not super-common in guerrilla conflicts because it's a bad idea.

Why would it be a bad idea?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

My guess is that 'disappearing' people is kind of what the bad guys are expected to do, and doesn't reflect well on the people doing it.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

My guess is that 'disappearing' people is kind of what the bad guys are expected to do, and doesn't reflect well on the people doing it.

That sounds right, but I can't think of examples where disappearing military leaders was seen as a bad move. Is the attitude the same about doing so to military as it is for activists and political opponents?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Military leaders are pretty much always more valuable alive than dead. Either as a source of intel or bargaining chip, let alone convincing one to switch sides which might be feasible in a situation like this where Assad might be/is losing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

Military leaders are pretty much always more valuable alive than dead. Either as a source of intel or bargaining chip, let alone convincing one to switch sides which might be feasible in a situation like this where Assad might be/is losing.

Your first two examples are good, but accepting a defector is one thing. It's quite another to tell a POW he can join your side and somehow trust him farther than you can throw him. At these guys rank, the kidnappings are more of a psychological victory and another jab at the heart of Assad's Army. They'll miss these guys. Plus it shows everyone of every rank that they aren't safe just because they aren't in Homs or Idlib. Might encourage more defections. It might have been Brown Moses who posted it, but supposedly 50% of the FSA's weaponry is bought from the regime. Assuming they'd be willing to bargain for the prisoners, it could be a big reward for the FSA.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Brown Moses/Xanadu what happened to your old avatars?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
drunk ozma.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Reuters has an interesting article about the upcoming Libyan election, Democracy a learning process as Libya set to vote.

It'll be very interesting to see what happens in 8 days time, and what the new assembly looks like. It has to be said that requiring there to be a minimum number of female seats in the assembly is a very postive move, and hopefully will be kept on for the general election that follows. It also seems unlikely any one group will dominate the new assembly, and hopefully that'll be a net positive.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of Libya

quote:

Libyan deported after PC Fletcher murder wants UK asylum

A Libyan deported from Britain after the murder of PC Yvonne Fletcher in 1984 and now wanted in his home country is seeking asylum in the UK.

Saleh Ibrahim Mabrouk, said to have been close to Colonel Gaddafi, is not a suspect in the murder but is suspected of misusing Libyan state funds.

The UK government deported Dr Ibrahim - who denies any wrongdoing - in 1984, saying his presence in Britain "was not conducive to the public good".

The Home Office declined to comment.

That'll go down like a lead balloon with the new Libyan government if it's accepted.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This somewhat graphic video shows a dead Syrian army soldiers splayed out by the FSA with a boot forced into his mouth :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3rUUdDc8q8

According to an activist I spoke to about this it apparently might have something to do with the Assad loyalist chants about feeding anti-Assad loyalists the boot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm loving the latest Guardian live blog update

quote:

Our favourite reader, Brown Moses, has been going through video purporting to show two senior military commanders captured by the Free Syrian Army.

Brigadier General Mounir Shleibi of the Palestine Intelligence Branch and Major General Faraj al-Maqt of Syrian Central Command.

Both men had black eyes. The video can't be independently verified, but as Brown Moses notes "the makers of the video have gone to great lengths to ensure both men can be clearly identified, filming close up of their ID documents."

It's been reported in Mali that the Tuareg rebels who joined an al Qaeda alinged group after leaving Libya have now been stabbed in the back and forced out of the areas they helped their new allies capture.

quote:

The armed Islamist group Ansar Dine have forced Tuareg rebels to leave the northwestern Mali town of Timbuktu and its outskirts as tension between the armed factions continue to rise.

The Al Qaeda linked armed group declared on Thursday that they had secured full control of Mali's desert north, a day after pushing their former Tuareg separatist allies out of the town of Gao in a gun battle that killed at least 20 people

Residents contacted from the capital Bamako on Thursday said no fighters from the Tuareg National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad (MNLA) could be seen in the positions they had earlier occupied around Timbuktu and at the airport.

"Ansar Dine gave them two hours to leave" and they did so, according to the owner of a hotel that had been closed by the Islamist armed group.

The order was given before midday Thursday.

No official from Ansar Dine or the MNLA could immediately be contacted.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Just put together another post, The Holy See And Senior Catholic Church Members Criticise Pro-Assad Clergy, all about lying nuns and fake bishops.

I had a read of this and then had a look at this article containing this quote:

quote:

According to the Swiss newspaper Le Courrier, Agnès-Mariam was “comfortable among [Assad’s] security services,” and she told their reporter it was hoped he could “dismantle the propaganda of Western media.”

And linking to this article in Le Courrier. The quote rather underplays the allegations, statements and inferences made by the article against Sister Agnès-Mariam.

It's a description by two Swiss reporters of the their trip to Syria with Gilles Jacquier and his wife during which Gilles was killed. Sister Agnès-Mariam was the person who coordinated the trip and was the person who provided them with their Visas and was one of the people liaising with the Syrian Ministry of Information during their trip. She initially promised them free rein but then first insisted they had a specific translator with them at all times and also insisted that their movements be green-lit by the Information Ministry. She also orchestrated the trip to Homs during which Gilles was killed and had apparently threatened him with expulsion should he refuse to come along with the group.

[edit] I found a translation online and it's all right. It's essentially accurate but some of the sections are moved around:
http://www.ufppc.org/us-a-world-new...-operation.html

The main bit about the nun is titled "WHAT GAME IS THE NUN AGNÈS-MARIAM PLAYING?".

Munin fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jun 29, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That's great, I'm thinking of doing an article on her, the title might be "Sister Agnès-Mariam De La Croix - Crazy Name, Crazy Person". Another person I've talk to on Twitter has also become very interested in her past activities as well, and as a lot of it's in French it's helpful to have assistance.

First I have about 40 videos of weapons in Syria I need to catalogue for a new post. I'm thinking of creating a Google map with icons for different weapons to show where they are in use. I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find icons to represent stuff like AA guns, truck mounted heavy machine guns, and recoilless rifles, etc?

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 29, 2012

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The NATO APP-6A system is the closest thing I can think of, but that might not be as specific as you want.

e. I really appreciate your threads, by the way, Brown Moses. You're the best.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Thanks, I checked out the symbols, looking for something a bit more pictorial, so stuff can be recognised right away. Look at the videos I think I'd need something to represent
- Truck mounted guns
- Heavy machine guns
- AA guns
- Recoilless rifles
- Groups of FSA soldiers
- Captured BMPs
- Captured Tanks
- FSA military operations
- DIY weapons

It's not too important, just thought it would be a good way of showing what weapons are in use where in Syria. Even from my last blog post there's loads more videos of AA guns, trucked mounted heavy machine guns, and captured BMPs and tanks. Hopefully I'll be able to complete the new post for the weekend.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Actually, this is goony as poo poo, but have you considered cannibalising art assets from computer games like Hearts of Iron or Company of Heroes or something? I recall those having pretty decently designed symbols for at least some of those things.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I was thinking of doing that, might dig through some screenshots and see which are the best. If I start the map off I can just keep adding to it as time goes on, build up a visual representation of FSA equipment across Syria.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Brown Moses posted:

Thanks, I checked out the symbols, looking for something a bit more pictorial, so stuff can be recognised right away. Look at the videos I think I'd need something to represent
- Truck mounted guns
- Heavy machine guns
- AA guns
- Recoilless rifles
- Groups of FSA soldiers
- Captured BMPs
- Captured Tanks
- FSA military operations
- DIY weapons

It's not too important, just thought it would be a good way of showing what weapons are in use where in Syria. Even from my last blog post there's loads more videos of AA guns, trucked mounted heavy machine guns, and captured BMPs and tanks. Hopefully I'll be able to complete the new post for the weekend.

Try this.

http://www.jhu.edu/rotc/Basic_Army_Knowledge/Military_Symbols.htm

I would feel a little cautious about the value of something mapping out FSA equipment though.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
I think farraday has a point, although I can see the value in giving a sense of size, firepower, and territorial control of the FSA. I think it's still a mystery how large and effective they are.

In Lybia, there was an abundance of visual media resources showing the rebel's footprint. I know I would be interested in seeing a visual representation on the Syrian Rebel forces, but like I said, I can see why it could be of concern.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's more to collect date to understand the level of equipment different regions have, and their improving abilities. I know, for example, only two brigade have B-10 recoilless rifles at the moment according to activists I've spoken to. So, if I were to come across a video of a B-10 somewhere else then I know to examine it more closely to confirm the location if possible, and if I can confirm the location it'll support the conclusion another region has acquired B-10's.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

It's more to collect date to understand the level of equipment different regions have, and their improving abilities. I know, for example, only two brigade have B-10 recoilless rifles at the moment according to activists I've spoken to. So, if I were to come across a video of a B-10 somewhere else then I know to examine it more closely to confirm the location if possible, and if I can confirm the location it'll support the conclusion another region has acquired B-10's.

This is getting towards the kind of stuff the military and intelligence agencies do. If well put together summarised and presented it would be a crowdsourced assessment of rebel general locations and capabilites for the Syrian regime. That said I would presume that they have better first hand information sources then a bunch of people on the internet who are thousands of kilometers away.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Yeah, I'm not sure if I would use the actual NATO reporting symbols quite yet. I'd recommend cannibalizing stuff from strategy games. There's a new game, Wargame: European Escalation, that a few guys on the forum have. It has pretty much every Cold War unit imaginable. Beyond that maybe take a look at World in Conflict, but most everything from there should already be in European Escalation.

http://wargame-ee.com/index.php?rub=database-home

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Munin posted:

This is getting towards the kind of stuff the military and intelligence agencies do. If well put together summarised and presented it would be a crowdsourced assessment of rebel general locations and capabilites for the Syrian regime. That said I would presume that they have better first hand information sources then a bunch of people on the internet who are thousands of kilometers away.

I would not presume that. You're right about the intelligence/capabilities gathering, but better first hand knowledge may be very limited given the fragmented nature of the rebelling groups themselves. The proclivity for the Arab Spring rebel groups to communicate through and show off on the internet is probably be one of the more important aspects of official intelligence gathering, and one which it would be entirely possible to duplicate. The first hand sources you mention are likely to be the same sources providing information for free on the internet.

Without going into the level of detail of available weaponry, you could probably make a pretty accurate map of the militarization of various areas in Syria based on the weaponry displayed/revealed in publicly accessible audio/visual documentation. A sort of spectrum of light to heavy weaponry and noting a difference between civilian vehicles mounting weapons and military vehicles would provide a good graphical understanding of the military environment without going into specifics of, for example, identifying which two regions had access to B-10 recoil-less rifles.

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Syrian opposition says Thursday was the deadliest day so far for civilians, particularly in Douma.

National Public Radio posted:

"Syrian opposition groups that track casualties reported on Friday that the previous day was the deadliest so far this year, and possibly in the entire Syrian uprising, with as many as 190 civilians killed in a 24-hour period," The New York Times is reporting.

According to Reuters, "activists said more than 50 of those killed on Thursday died in Douma, about 9 miles outside the capital Damascus."

The Associated Press adds that "a local activist who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons said the shelling was 'relentless' throughout Thursday, and exploding shells killed people in their homes."

Emphasis my own.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/06/29/155973535/syrian-opposition-says-190-civilians-killed-in-deadliest-day-so-far

Sivias fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 29, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Brown Moses posted:

First I have about 40 videos of weapons in Syria I need to catalogue for a new post. I'm thinking of creating a Google map with icons for different weapons to show where they are in use. I don't suppose anyone knows where I can find icons to represent stuff like AA guns, truck mounted heavy machine guns, and recoilless rifles, etc?

Google imaging: "vector gun silhouette" seems to pick up a bunch of stuff that would look good and still be clear. You'll want to refine the terms a bit to find stuff like pintle turrets and vehicles, but it's all there. Many of them will be watermarked from stock image sites, but it's really easy to fix that with black and white vector graphics.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 29, 2012

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Morsi is speaking live at Tahrir. Streaming on AQE. Probably more reasons to watch than just to see if he gets assassinated.

http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/

Morsi showing off his lack of a bullet proof vest, his security guards look nervous.

I have to say it's really a lot more fun watching a major speech in a country that doesn't have a long calcified political tradition.

farraday fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 29, 2012

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

"Torture is bad and has bad results."

More progressive than US politicians! :v:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Munin posted:

"Torture is bad and has bad results."

More progressive than US politicians! :v:

He's just making the "Muslim Bortherhood: Soft on Terror" ads write themselves with that line.

This section on freedom of foreign relations, peaceful but willing and able to fight back, not very veiled references to Israel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Morsi suddenly and magically become a hugely charismatic and theatrical public speaker. By all accounts that is a really incredible and effective speech.

It's like the school librarian suddenly turning into van halen. wow.

He even did the presidential oath right there!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
What's with his Abd al Rahman callout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultras Lazio
May 22, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
....what about that thing about Omar Abdel-Rahman as well?

• Locked thread