Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Intel seems hellbent on pushing it, though, so I think we'll get there; it's just going to be a while.
Intel can try to shove it down as many OEM's throats as they want, but if it costs an extra dollar (I'm making up an arbitrary number) per motherboard to include, then manufacturers will continue to ignore Thunderbolt except in workstation or high-end motherboards.

We absolutely have another FireWire on our hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Intel can try to shove it down as many OEM's throats as they want, but if it costs an extra dollar (I'm making up an arbitrary number) per motherboard to include, then manufacturers will continue to ignore Thunderbolt except in workstation or high-end motherboards.

We absolutely have another FireWire on our hands.

It also doesn't help that the low-end consumer display market will probably never adopt TB or even DP - if Intel forced motherboard makers using their chipsets to drop DVI/VGA (why the gently caress are motherboards still shipping with VGA outputs, this is 2012) and forced them to use a TB port for video out, that might shift things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And apparently they're being anal about who gets to make peripherals if you believe the (kind of :tinfoil: sounding) ViDock guy, apparently he's going to try legal action to get his dev kit. I wonder whether Intel is somehow still supply restrained or if they're just loving the smaller hardware devs.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bob Morales posted:

I (why the gently caress are motherboards still shipping with VGA outputs, this is 2012)

old projectors and display tech. Usually stuff you find in offices and government facilities.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Decius posted:

old projectors, beamers and display tech. Usually stuff you find in offices and government facilities.

What was the last Apple computer to ship with a VGA port? G3 iMac?

Just curious.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Just curious.
...I don't even remember whether those iMacs had video output.

And does mini VGA count? They had that on the iBooks up until the MacBooks came out I think (which had mini DVI).

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

japtor posted:

...I don't even remember whether those iMacs had video output.

And does mini VGA count? They had that on the iBooks up until the MacBooks came out I think (which had mini DVI).

My G4 AlBook had Mini-DVI, so it was sometime before that.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Decius posted:

old projectors and display tech. Usually stuff you find in offices and government facilities.

If only there were some way to connect a modern device to old equipment without having to include a giant plug on the main board.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It also doesn't help that the low-end consumer display market will probably never adopt TB or even DP - if Intel forced motherboard makers using their chipsets to drop DVI/VGA (why the gently caress are motherboards still shipping with VGA outputs, this is 2012) and forced them to use a TB port for video out, that might shift things.

Yeah I wonder why it's not more popular given that it's owned by Intel on the technical and not some sort of secret license standard.

It's a really interesting concept since allows to do away with a pile of different connector types for video and ethernet.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 30, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The hardware is expensive, and it's difficult to write proper hot-plug drivers since PCIe is not a hot-plug interface by itself. Compare that to slapping down a $5 plug and interface designed for hot-swap which your engineers have been hooking up and writing drivers for for years.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Arrowsmith posted:

My G4 AlBook had Mini-DVI, so it was sometime before that.

My G4 833 tibook had a full dvi port

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ZShakespeare posted:

If only there were some way to connect a modern device to old equipment without having to include a giant plug on the main board.
Dealing with adapters is sort of annoying, so I guess if hooking up to lovely projectors was something I did on a regular basis I'd want a VGA port built in.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

cheese eats mouse posted:

Would the genius bar have any old 2007 MBP batteries laying around? I need to know if the trip out that way would be worth it. I can never get a live person on the line when I call.

Unfortunately, a lot of Genius Bars have the batteries for testing, but without a MacBook Pro of that era, no actual way of charging them

It's a ridiculous situation, but there's 4 at my store like that.

massless
Feb 25, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Intel, AMD, and a few other companies have promised to drop VGA/DVI support in favor of DP/HDMI by 2015 though, and the cost of support for the old standards is apparently a major reason for the move. Excuse my possible ignorance, but isn't that basically the demise of VGA-out on future PCs?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Argali posted:

So does anyone have any inkling as to when we can expect the next wave of iMacs?
Possibly a minor update about Mountain Lion's release.

If you mean a major update, rumor is retina screen iMacs will ship in 2013. I really can't wait to see the 27" retina display they're purportedly working on, that poo poo will be insane.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It'll be amazing, although I don't see what's particularly technically difficult about applying the engineering of high density displays to larger sizes.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

mediaphage posted:

Nobody cares when your MacBook Pro is going to arrive, for pete's sake.

I'm hoping that now that Thunderbolt is shipping on a bunch of different Apple computers that we'll start to see more of an uptake in the accessories market.

Not holding my breath, though

I care. Some have us have been waiting for several weeks now.

On thunderbolt: I have a Thunderbolt display and a Matrox thunderbolt video capture card. Both own.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

fleshweasel posted:

It'll be amazing, although I don't see what's particularly technically difficult about applying the engineering of high density displays to larger sizes.
I don't work in display manufacturing, but scaling up these processes, you run into a few issues, among them, yield and cost. IIRC, there's a small probability of a problem with a given pixel, and when you multiply that across a larger number of pixels, the probably of a given display being defective increases.

Beyond that...
- A 27 inch retina display has nearly 15 million pixels, and I haven't researched this, but I imagine the GPU needed to push that much doesn't exist yet. (For reference, this is 2.7x the number of pixels in the retina Mac Book Pro, which is itself quite taxing on its GPU.)
- Not an issue with an iMac, but for external displays, I'm told Thunderbolt may not be able to push that much data at 60fps.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

Just curious.

The early Ti Powerbooks had a full sized VGA port before switching to DVI for later models.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't work in display manufacturing, but scaling up these processes, you run into a few issues, among them, yield and cost. IIRC, there's a small probability of a problem with a given pixel, and when you multiply that across a larger number of pixels, the probably of a given display being defective increases.

Beyond that...
- A 27 inch retina display has nearly 15 million pixels, and I haven't researched this, but I imagine the GPU needed to push that much doesn't exist yet. (For reference, this is 2.7x the number of pixels in the retina Mac Book Pro, which is itself quite taxing on its GPU.)
- Not an issue with an iMac, but for external displays, I'm told Thunderbolt may not be able to push that much data at 60fps.

It's possible that apple would make retina iMacs at a middle ground between 21.5" and 27" or just 21.5". Considering the rMBP was accompanied by an overall redesign it's not out of the question. I think bandwidth must still be a concern with an iMac because there has to be SOME way of pushing the pixels to the GPU, and it's hard to think of something beefier than thunderbolt.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

It's possible that apple would make retina iMacs at a middle ground between 21.5" and 27" or just 21.5". Considering the rMBP was accompanied by an overall redesign it's not out of the question. I think bandwidth must still be a concern with an iMac because there has to be SOME way of pushing the pixels to the GPU, and it's hard to think of something beefier than thunderbolt.
I've seen that idea mentioned before, like going back to a 24" model. Looks like DP can do up to 3840x2160, so HiDPI 1080p by default. For higher res I'm not sure there's a choice other than to use multiple links like older super high res displays, and stuff like Eyefinity can treat multiple links as a single display.

I don't know if they'd sell a display that requires two TB connections, but at least there's one desktop and one laptop that can do it now :v:.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
So I marched into the Apple store today and used SetRes.app to change the resolution on the RMBP to 1440x900.

Defintely fixes the FPS issue but looks godawful.

I hope ML is Apple's version of Project Butter.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why are people saying it looks godawful? For gently caress's sake, a month ago, it was the standard model.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
To carry videos around to show people, and to look at .pdfs, and do light computer stuff, MacBook Air 11" or iPad?

How easy is it to choose one or the other to hook up to a TV and use a remote for stuff? Right now I have my iPod Touch which is fine but it's old enough that the videos I can transfer to it are VHS quality basically.

So I say to myself, I need exact change. BeBop Cola is the best. why not get something that can show the video direct if needed?

Any feedback at all would be helpful. Adapter costs, whether buying one or the other used would make sense, etc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kapalama posted:

To carry videos around to show people, and to look at .pdfs, and do light computer stuff, MacBook Air 11" or iPad?

How easy is it to choose one or the other to hook up to a TV and use a remote for stuff? Right now I have my iPod Touch which is fine but it's old enough that the videos I can transfer to it are VHS quality basically.

So I say to myself, I need exact change. BeBop Cola is the best. why not get something that can show the video direct if needed?

Any feedback at all would be helpful. Adapter costs, whether buying one or the other used would make sense, etc.

There's an adapter to connect an iPad to a TV - the one for the MacBooks is even cheaper:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098

The iPad is half the price (if not 1/3rd) of the Air, has a longer lasting battery, but it is 'just a tablet'. It's better for viewing PDF's and movies on, though.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Bob Morales posted:

There's an adapter to connect an iPad to a TV - the one for the MacBooks is even cheaper:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098

The iPad is half the price (if not 1/3rd) of the Air, has a longer lasting battery, but it is 'just a tablet'. It's better for viewing PDF's and movies on, though.

Thanks. I am not sure about one thing. Obviously with the computer, the screen orientation stays as is for the TV. How does that work with an iPad. Does it rotate the image sent to the TV? )

iPad question I know, but it is how to choose one of the other.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

kapalama posted:

Thanks. I am not sure about one thing. Obviously with the computer, the screen orientation stays as is for the TV. How does that work with an iPad. Does it rotate the image sent to the TV? )

iPad question I know, but it is how to choose one of the other.

Depends on the output method. If you're using TV as second display, it should show the video landscape appropriately. If you use TV as an iPad mirror, then it will squish into portrait or expand out to landscape as iPad does.

I think.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
I'm trying to decide on a 15-inch Macbook Pro with a 2.3Ghz processor. The biggest question for me right now is whether the Retina display is worth it. Does it have any real applications for non-graphic artists/developers/photographers? I'm a computer engineering student so I mostly need power, a secure system and access to a Unix based operating system, which is why I'm really leaning towards a Mac. Is the 2.3Ghz macbook pro capable of playing Valve and Blizzard games and comfortable settings? The GPU seems to be a 512MB Nvidia GT 650M, which is weaker than the standard 1GB version.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, VGA-out is almost entirely because of businesses. It's why we still see desktops shipping with PS/2 and occasionally serial connectors.

I know that a lot of PC makers are looking pretty hard at incorporating Thunderbolt into products, especially Lenovo (HP, however, is really unimpressed so far).

The biggest impediment to Tbolt is, of course, USB 3.0. New standard, backwards compatible, fast enough to do displays and pretty quick storage. Also, the cables don't cost $50 a pop.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kapalama posted:

Those uses are like the ideal iPad use case, depending on what your "light computer stuff" consists of.

The issue I could see is the "use a remote" part since there's no built in remote functionality. There's media player apps that can do it, but I don't know if any pair over Bluetooth, otherwise you'd need them to be on a common network. So without a LAN you'd just be tethered to the iPad and video cable. You could also go wireless with the AppleTV but you'd still have the LAN issue...unless you also bought an AirPort Express (or other router) to make your own network on the spot.

Meanwhile with a MBA...wait those don't have an IR sensor for the remote do they? If so you'd be in the same situation, stuck on cable or need some other remote setup. I imagine there would be more flexibility here as far as Bluetooth remotes at least.

x-virge posted:

Depends on the output method. If you're using TV as second display, it should show the video landscape appropriately. If you use TV as an iPad mirror, then it will squish into portrait or expand out to landscape as iPad does.

I think.
Yeah, if you're mirroring it'll follow the iPad's rotation on screen and fill to what it can while second screen output should be formatted to the TV, assuming the app supports whatever resolutions (one I used supported a few 4:3 resolutions along with the standard HD 720/1080). Second screen output isn't too common, but most of the presentationy apps you'd probably look into probably have it.

Oh and pricing on the adapters, off the top of my head I think the VGA one is $30 while the HDMI one is $40, no cables included of course, and keep in mind with VGA you'd have to get a separate minijack cable to run audio. There's also knockoffs but I have no experience with them. For the fancy wireless method, which will also work with the MBA once Mountain Lion is out, AppleTV (no HDMI included) and AirPort Express are $100 each.

Applesmack posted:

I'm trying to decide on a 15-inch Macbook Pro with a 2.3Ghz processor. The biggest question for me right now is whether the Retina display is worth it. Does it have any real applications for non-graphic artists/developers/photographers? I'm a computer engineering student so I mostly need power, a secure system and access to a Unix based operating system, which is why I'm really leaning towards a Mac. Is the 2.3Ghz macbook pro capable of playing Valve and Blizzard games and comfortable settings? The GPU seems to be a 512MB Nvidia GT 650M, which is weaker than the standard 1GB version.
Going by my experience with the iPad retina display, the most noticeable thing (beyond graphic stuff personally) is just the sharper text. Assuming you'll be staring at code a lot that could make a nice difference, and otherwise there's the resolution options to give you more usable space on screen if your eyes can handle it.

No clue on games but I figure worst case you can run them at 1440x900 and basically look like a regular non retina display.

mediaphage posted:

The biggest impediment to Tbolt is, of course, USB 3.0. New standard, backwards compatible, fast enough to do displays and pretty quick storage. Also, the cables don't cost $50 a pop.
Yeah TB for storage is pointless for most users if USB 3 is available. I figure the biggest thing in TB's favor is just that it can stick around as a standard video output (barring DisplayLink or whatever becoming an industry standard solution), vs FW which got most of its normal use features duplicated by USB.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Applesmack posted:

The text and clarity of the screen is absolutely insane. If the software you use is updated for it I think it's a major upgrade for anyone no matter what they use the computer for. The clarity and detail of everything is that awesome. (And actually if you are a graphic designer / photographer, it kind of sucks right now because Photoshop isn't updated for retina's yet)

There's also less glare from the screen and the viewing angle is much better if you're using it anywhere where space is an issue such as a desk in class or an airplane seat. I've also noticed less eye strain. In fact, looking at my old MBP when transfering files over within a week of using it I almost think something was wrong with my display it looks so washed out and terrible.

Also with the included SSD and 8gb ram it is really, really fast loading programs and saving large files.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
They replaced the dashboard button on the new MacBooks with a one that starts launchpad. Can I change what that button does? I'm one of the few that actually likes the dashboard.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've got fans running full tilt on a MacPro 1.1. Its not CPU load as there isn't any. I think I might need to run a thermal calibration. Does anyone know what version of ASD I should be using on the 1.1? The latest?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is there a known issue with putting your computer to sleep when it's booted in Windows 7? My 2011 MBP apparently needs a battery replacement now, but I'm unsure if it's just a bad battery or if I did something wrong (it is only a year old).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

I've got fans running full tilt on a MacPro 1.1. Its not CPU load as there isn't any. I think I might need to run a thermal calibration. Does anyone know what version of ASD I should be using on the 1.1? The latest?

Did you try resetting the SMC?

The technology used by Intel for its CPUs is totally different than the G5 and it's handled by the SMC anyway, there's no ASD that has that function for Mac Pros.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So I just bought a new Macbook Air and I am very, very impressed by this little machine. The gestures make it so much easier to use than a windows laptop, I don't know why Apple doesn't hammer those things home in their ads. The concept of window management is pretty much useless to me, since with 2 flicks I can go from using one app taking up the entire screen to another app. Of all the things I thought I'd like most about this thing, I can't believe it's the trackpad...

One minor gripe: clicking on the trackpad makes a pretty loud noise when I'm on skype/facetime. It seems to annoy the hell out of people I'm videochatting with. I've just enabled one-touch to click in the trackpad settings so it's not a major issue but just annoying.

moon demon fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 1, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So I just bought a new Macbook Air and I am very, very impressed by this little machine. The gestures make it so much easier to use than a windows laptop, I don't know why Apple doesn't hammer those things home in their ads. The concept of window management is pretty much useless to me, since with 2 flicks I can go from using one app taking up the entire screen to another app. Of all the things I thought I'd like most about this thing, I can't believe it's the trackpad...

One minor gripe: clicking on the trackpad makes a pretty loud noise when I'm on skype/facetime. It seems to annoy the hell out of people I'm videochatting with. I've just enabled one-touch to click in the trackpad settings so it's not a major issue but just annoying.

The trackpad click being loud is the one bad thing about the trackpad, imo.

Otherwise, I agree with you. The MacBook XYZ is the one kind of computer I can take with me and not be crippled without an external mouse, not counting, by and large, gaming.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I pretty much just use one-touch click exclusively -- using non-Apple trackpads is now akward.

Question for anyone who can help: I've got a 2010 MBA (The one with Nvidia 320M) and it's the maxed out version.

When plugged into an external monitor, is having the laptop open as a second monitor using a lot of memory? Do most of you keep your screen shut as you use the laptop as a desktop (so to speak)?

I'm noticing lag -- but was wondering if it's simply more pixels to power, more lag. Hence, close the screen..

As an aside..spaces/mission control does a reasonable job of emulating a multi monitor setup.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

mediaphage posted:

The trackpad click being loud is the one bad thing about the trackpad, imo.

Otherwise, I agree with you. The MacBook XYZ is the one kind of computer I can take with me and not be crippled without an external mouse, not counting, by and large, gaming.

Exactly. I don't have to bring a BT mouse like I used to. And the clicking really didn't bother me at all when I was getting used to it, it only bothers people when I'm videochatting. The actual noise isn't that loud, but I guess it's really amplified by the mic. Maybe it's because the metal body is so small, there's very little room for the click impact to dissipate? Judging by the results of my google search on the subject, it seems people with the thicker MBPs don't notice it as much. I don't know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Crossbar posted:

They replaced the dashboard button on the new MacBooks with a one that starts launchpad. Can I change what that button does? I'm one of the few that actually likes the dashboard.

If Dashboard is set up to be a full-screen space (that's the default now), you can use the three-or-more finger trackpad swipe gesture to get to it quickly.

The other thing to try is different modifier keys in combination with the Launchpad key. I'm not finding documentation on what they might do.