Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

The way the website looked i momentarily thought you had been gifted an actual 911 turbo from a stupid game contest. haha.

:lol: Oh god, if only...

Nice touch of detail on this, brake calipers are red with proper "PORSCHE" script. The tires spin freely, but the calipers don't move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Good show on the model win. Who makes it? Minichamps / autoart or is it in house Porsche?

I have a minichamps Lotus 97T F1 car that SHOULD have costed me £80 but it was missing a wheel nut, so they sold it to me for £15. I then found the wheel nut under the car in the packaging. :3:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can we have this as an aero option?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Falken posted:

Good show on the model win. Who makes it? Minichamps / autoart or is it in house Porsche?

It's branded as Porsche Design, but says it's manufactured by Norev S. A. (never heard of 'em)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I raise you:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hoopy Frood posted:

Holy crap, that little AMC Gremlin has a 5 litre V8 in it! That's going to be impossible to handle.

Remember, it's a '70s V8, so it's only 150 HP.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I just realized that several of my S class cars aren't showing up in multiclass (ABCS) online play. Are there any odd requirements I'm not aware of, that would keep the RUF Yellowbird, a Beetle, or a Countach from being shown?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Why hello there Arizona MVD. Used to have to hook my GMC up to that contraption every year.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why hello there Arizona MVD. Used to have to hook my GMC up to that contraption every year.

While everyone in Yavapai County is all :smug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

While everyone in Yavapai County is all :smug:

And then you remember you live in Yavapai county :iceburn:

Besides, I don't have to anymore, thanks to the classic insurance exemption. I also never plan on owning another vehicle that has to go through the sniffer...either OBDII or classics for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I live in Surprise, not a single interesting car exists out here. With all of the old people that live here, you would think there would be a lot of classics. They must be the "rock music, and fast cars are evil" type.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

I said come in! posted:

I live in Surprise, not a single interesting car exists out here. With all of the old people that live here, you would think there would be a lot of classics. They must be the "rock music, and fast cars are evil" type.

I've found that the majority of old people with awesome cars tend to just keep them covered in garages. What a bunch of selfish assholes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

And then you remember you live in Yavapai county :iceburn:

I live in Chandler. :v:

And I'm pretty sure my car still has a cat. Somewhere in the trunk.

d100
Jun 13, 2006
mesons keep me employed

GOD IS BED posted:

I just realized that several of my S class cars aren't showing up in multiclass (ABCS) online play. Are there any odd requirements I'm not aware of, that would keep the RUF Yellowbird, a Beetle, or a Countach from being shown?

They must also be body style supercar from what I've read on the official forums.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

GOD IS BED posted:

Yeah, I asked this a month or two ago. For some dumb reason, the ABCS hopper only allows "Supercar" body types in S class. I hate it.

That's why I tuned up an RS200, which I now love.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TravBot posted:

Yeah, I asked this a month or two ago. For some dumb reason, the ABCS hopper only allows "Supercar" body types in S class. I hate it.

That's why I tuned up an RS200, which I now love.

The cuntach is a supercar in every sense of the word. Maybe it wasn't a big hit at all the dub step festivals that turn 10 have been going to lately.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

jonathan posted:

The cuntach is a supercar in every sense of the word. Maybe it wasn't a big hit at all the dub step festivals that turn 10 have been going to lately.

By the way, what is dub step? I guess it's a new genre of music, but really how can there be a new genre of music? I thought it was some electronic music, but now I'm thinking it's actually a specific dance, hence "step." I'd look it up on youtube, but I'm afraid! I still want to buy Horizon!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
All these hip new genres are technically new genres because they have a different tempo than other, same exact, genres. Dubstep is a slower tempo compared to some other electronic music that sounds exactly the same except it is faster.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

By the way, what is dub step? I guess it's a new genre of music, but really how can there be a new genre of music? I thought it was some electronic music, but now I'm thinking it's actually a specific dance, hence "step." I'd look it up on youtube, but I'm afraid! I still want to buy Horizon!

I'm pretty sure it's a new genre of music, yes. It's going to be one of those things that you either hate right away, or are really into, no in between. I've listened to a few dubstep songs and hated all of them. The genre just isn't my thing at all, so I hope there are other genres of music represented in Horizon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dubstep is a branch of electronic music that has become really trendy the past year or so, and "music snobs" love to make fun of it. But a lot of other people listen to it and enjoy it.

It's the 'new kinds on the block' of techno! :v:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think this explains it a lot better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzfTZlEl40

Basically its all in the "wobble bass", or "modulated bassline" as the video calls it, to give its signature sound. Its annoyingly trendy but still fun to listen to. Kind of a hip-hop influence on electronic music rather than its previous life as a disco offshoot.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 29, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It gives me a weird, uneasy feeling that something major should be happening. The problem is that it's usually really good music, but ruined with electronic sounds. I listened to a piano roll of some skrillex song and it sounded really good, then I listened to the real version and it was pretty terrible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I got my first taste of dubstep yesterday. It was a dubstep cover of Nights in White Satin. It was the worst thing I have ever heard in my entire life.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I think this explains it a lot better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzfTZlEl40

Basically its all in the "wobble bass", or "modulated bassline" as the video calls it, to give its signature sound. Its annoyingly trendy but still fun to listen to. Kind of a hip-hop influence on electronic music rather than its previous life as a disco offshoot.

Got 59 seconds into it. Music without lyrics or instruments is always...fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seymour Butts posted:

Got 59 seconds into it. Music without lyrics or instruments is always...fun.

Or you know, finding a configuration of dials on a synthesizer that sounds kind of cool, and spamming the poo poo out of it for 5 minutes with no variation whatsoever. That dubstep "sound" can certainly be used to interesting effect but most musicians are treating it like the reason for the song and completely overusing it.

Short version: first order of business when loading up Horizons is visiting the options menu and turning the music slider to zero.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've thought that way before but plenty of music without lyrics has existed in the past. And when the electric guitar gained popularity in the 30's-60's plenty of people considered that "Not real". You would just simply have to accept the idea of a Macbook as a musical instrument. I consider it more genuine than autotune at least.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
Dammit I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cant connect to lobbies. Forza is literally the only game I have issues with

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
As far as Dubstep goes, this is the only thing I've listened to that I've actually liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VLaXoRRdk

But, if that offended your taste in music, then please, allow me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWlXU2DeYkQ

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Seymour Butts posted:

By the way, what is dub step? I guess it's a new genre of music, but really how can there be a new genre of music? I thought it was some electronic music, but now I'm thinking it's actually a specific dance, hence "step."
This is a pretty good dubstep remix. Like all genres of music, there's good and bad out there and plenty of hacks trying their hand at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8C-ZTQJIkU
There's also this very NSFW video for that song that's just fantastic.
:nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kCRaUXvn-4

This style of music is getting played out fast though.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Dubstep isn't my favorite genre of elecronic music - everyone seems to like Skrillex but I think he's a bit of a joke. There are much better artists in the genre, but I'll still stick to other electronic genres like Drum & Bass (Pendulum), Trance (Gareth Emery, or Above & Beyond, whose weekly podcast Trance Around The World is live-streaming right now), or my personal favorite, funky house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-q2tRb47UA

In other news, it looks like GTCC will be going down the "Road To R1" where we go up one class each week. I'll probably pull a Cubivore and race this beauty once or twice.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I might do one car or livery and then stick with it for a few weeks, but I'll probably just go for cheater cars every time since APPARENTLY that's what I need to do to be competitive.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

I might do one car or livery and then stick with it for a few weeks, but I'll probably just go for cheater cars every time since APPARENTLY that's what I need to do to be competitive.

As long as you put a wizard on it.

trice posted:

Only restriction is that if you take a stupid chevy spark or other cheater car, it has to have a wizard painted on it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
In my defense, I didn't know the 107 was considered a cheater car, though I should have realized that anything where I can put up lap times like that probably is. I'm gonna see if I can stay sober after work long enough to put this sumbitch into vinyl for next week:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That would be the Best Vinyl Ever.(tm)

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Someone please make that vinyl TIA

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

CaseFace McGee posted:

Dubstep isn't my favorite genre of elecronic music - everyone seems to like Skrillex but I think he's a bit of a joke. There are much better artists in the genre, but I'll still stick to other electronic genres like Drum & Bass (Pendulum), Trance (Gareth Emery, or Above & Beyond, whose weekly podcast Trance Around The World is live-streaming right now), or my personal favorite, funky house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-q2tRb47UA

In other news, it looks like GTCC will be going down the "Road To R1" where we go up one class each week. I'll probably pull a Cubivore and race this beauty once or twice.

Makes me wish I didn't miss F-class this week. I took Monday off from work, so I've been working 10s this week, and just crashed out at about 8:30 on Wednesday.

On a related note, if your job does not specifically include having to look at an old guy's junk, having to do so during a "second interview" is probably a good sign the job ain't for you.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Someone please make that vinyl TIA

On it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

einTier posted:

This style of music is getting played out fast though.

Which is a shame, because the wobble effect itself can make some pretty great tones. It sounds so deliciously big, like someone above said, something dramatic is happening.

Driving to it, for example. It sounds like speed.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

xzzy posted:

Which is a shame, because the wobble effect itself can make some pretty great tones. It sounds so deliciously big, like someone above said, something dramatic is happening.

Driving to it, for example. It sounds like speed.

Yep, I listen to it in the car all the time. It's awesome. The one feature that GT5 has that I wish Forza had was to replace the in-game music with music stored on the console/streamed from a media server. The music in Forza isn't bad, but I'd much rather supplement it with a buttload of dubstep from my ipod without using the built-in xbox 360 media player software because it's just not that integrated.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
WHAT IS THAT MAN DOING TO HIS SKULL??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I've thought that way before but plenty of music without lyrics has existed in the past. And when the electric guitar gained popularity in the 30's-60's plenty of people considered that "Not real". You would just simply have to accept the idea of a Macbook as a musical instrument. I consider it more genuine than autotune at least.

Uh, no, the electric guitar is exactly the same as a guitar but with "microphones" in it.

Using a laptop to alter sounds is not the same as being able to play a guitar.

• Locked thread