Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

penguinmambo posted:

The twist of ff7 is cloud never crossdressed in wall market. Cloud's been a lady all along. The war being over was her excuse not to progress in the military for fear of being discovered. Her crazy is due to unresolved romantic issues towards Sephiroth. Tifa isn't saying poo poo because it kind of subconciously creeps her out and she isn't in touch with her sexuality to ask Cloud if she's a dude.

You know, I've heard people say that Lightning is literally Cloud, but I totally don't see it.

Cloud actually emotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

SirPhoebos posted:

And then you have folks like me who live near the Great Lakes who are totally used to seeing a body of water stretching to the horizon. Our job is to mock your generalizations with great glee and mirth.

newsflash your paltry lake is not an ocean :colbert:

penguinmambo posted:

Anyway, I actually wonder if Rinoa was less well-received because you get the sense she is going more for perky than Aeris's (or even Garnet's) ability to complete shut-down the lead hero's pompousness.

Her clothes are loving ugly and she shoots a dog-missile from her fist...I'm pretty sure at least one of those things qualifies her for the status of 'gigantic piece of poo poo'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

second-hand smegma posted:

dog-missile from her fist != 'gigantic piece of poo poo'.
:colbert:

Corrected. Everything else may suck but don't diss the dog missile.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Dauntasa posted:

Holy gently caress, how would you even think of doing this? I mean some glitches you can see how they could have just stumbled on it but this one actually requires swapping the FF7 disc with a disk from another specific game, while on a chocobo, then using the new horrible hosed up map to sequence break and enter the Ancient City backwards. How the gently caress did he find this?
After watching this I have a theory behind why it works. It ultimately relies on the fact that due to hardware limitations on the Playstation, the game can't have the entire world map stored in memory at once, and as you run around the map it streams it off of the disc as it needs it. You'll notice from the glitched out world map that the world is stored as square sections. So normally as you walk around the map you hit a point where it needs to load more of the world and the game says "alright which piece of the world goes here? *checks disc* Ahaha square #87". But if you swap out the disc it reads whatever is on the other disc in that location, which is likely to be something else.

So why do you have to use the American version of Frontier Saga? Well presumably a whole ton of discs were tried out and this disc just so happens to have the right sort of data in the right place so that when the game reads it it just so happens to load up a particular pattern of dodgy world map data that lets you get to a particular spot on the Northern continent. You'll notice that as he makes his way across the corrupt map data he still can't cross mountain and ocean tiles, and there's an awful lot of those on the world map so you could easily get blocked off if the world loads in a certain way. (Interestingly the corrupt world map seems to be made up of the same blocks that surrounded the player before he changed discs, so either the data in Frontier Saga very very luckily only loads blocks where the data is already stored in memory as trying to load blocks that aren't already in memory would likely cause a crash, or the game fails to overwrite the blocks with new ones and keeps re-using the old data).

You need a chocobo because riding one prevents random battles, and triggering a battle causes the game to load the 3D battle models off of the disc, which would either cause a horrible crash or have you fight against some horrible Missingno-style horror. Fortunately, the chocobo area in the west of the Western continent has a load of flat ground around it, so you can travel far enough across the map to reach the part of the map where the corruption starts (and depending on how the game is working, increase your odds of having flat fields occupy the corrupted data so you can travel across it).

Lastly, the sequence break just prevents the flags that force Aeries out of your party (or force her into it) from ever getting triggered so she stays in your party (and can still be swapped out if needed). The game never bothers to check for this later because why would it need to? She shouldn't still be in your party in the first place.

I think it's unfair to call this a glitch because it involves going outside the boundaries of the game to manually feed it the wrong data, unlike say, the pokemon missingno glitch where you can trick the game into doing this itself due to a programming oversight.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

quote:

or the game fails to overwrite the blocks with new ones and keeps re-using the old data).

This is true, however it's interesting to note that the Japanese video for this glitch says that the map generated is different every time. Not sure how to reconcile it, because it really does seem to me that when trying to load landscape tiles from disc to RAM, the game is getting errors which abort the process, but which are not fatal, so the game just keeps pulling the tiles.

The disc must be responsible for two things, then:
1) Loading new tiles into RAM from the disc when heading out of a landscape tile
2) Telling which RAM address to pull tiles out of to generate the landcape.

To generate a different map every time, using the same tileset, something has to be happening with step where the disc is checked for which tile to place where. Perhaps other things, such as which direction you head (and therefore which parts of the horizon) are loaded first has a kind of butterfly effect; perhaps the same thing with game time/gil/battles fought data, I don't know.

There are probably more games where the process is aborted but not fatal, and probably many where the process is fatal when aborted.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It most likely has to do with which tiles are currently in which RAM location, which of course won't always be the same depending on where you entered the world map (meaning, which tiles were initially loaded) and where you walked on it in the meantime (meaning, which tiles get unloaded and newly loaded and in which order).

e: Like, I imagine this like: Game attempts loads tile #200 in place of the loaded tile currently furthest away from your location, and puts that tile where it expects to be on the map. Since the loading request, and thus the overwrite, never actually finishes, the old tile data is still in that place -- but the map generation routine assumes that that tile already contains the new, correct one and just puts it onto the world map anyway.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 30, 2012

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I get that, but what I'm saying is that Tile #200, for example, could be at co-ordinates (57, 27) one time you do the glitch, and yet another time, (57, 27) might contain Tile #45. That's the bit I can't work out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think the basic idea is something like this, if you can follow my train of thought.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

You know, I've heard people say that Lightning is literally Cloud, but I totally don't see it.

Cloud actually emotes.

Like people have said, it's almost entirely just an aestetic thing of the model design (basically 'softness' of the face). It's the same way, say, Vaan and Tidus are similar. How they act doesn't really mesh up. People only notice it because they recently had a super-high-rez Cloud face now (which is actually one of the basic Nomura faces, if you look at recent FMV in Square games) and because characters like Zidane or Squall are either more cartoony or vaguely based on real people.

IIRC, the darkhaired girl in every square game is always apparently based on a real person (I suspect the redone modern Tifa is an attempt to make her look like some IRL pop star) which is why they tend to look very different even tho you'd expect the base design to be similar.

keet fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 30, 2012

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

penguinmambo posted:

Since I know this isn't anywhere in the game (unless its an Added Thing and if it is, just say so :v:) do they ever explain why Shinra seemes unusually hesitant to strong arming Aeris into helping them, considering they already knew where she lived is as a kid? The fact years pass and suddenly they were pursuing her again felt kind of weird. It's not like the idea of Cetra was like believing in Bigfoot or anything.

:pseudo:Crackpot theory ahead: Aeris was actually the Shinra spy all along. Her mission was to infiltrait AVALANCHE and use them to find the promised land. Cait Sith was sent to assist her in this mission after they realized that the members of AVALANCHE were starting to suspect someone of being a spy. Sephiroth found out that she was playing the party for fools, and so he had to execute her. Eventually, he will join the party as they attack the true enemy, the scheming, manipulative Palmer in his orbital battlefortress.:pseudo:

Of course none of that is true, but it would explain why they didn't strong-arm her until years after. Or it could be that... well... up until shortly before the game started, did they really have a reason to? They knew where she lived, and with the city gates closed, it's not like she could actually go anywhere. Plus I thought the way some of the Turks talked, she was, if not old friends with some of them, at least on friendly terms.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Yeah It doesn't seem like Shinra is the kind of company not to take what they want. Maybe the Turks simply failed catching her on purpose. "Oh darn Boss, Aeris got away again and there was absolutely nothing we could do. She's pretty quick for someone running in a dress. So I can take next month off right?"
Heck even Tseng seem to be pretty chill while Elena is the only one who takes it seriously but she's a new recruit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Personally, I like to think that Aeris's mum has tea and cookies out for the Turks every month when they arrive like clockwork. They take her to the Shinra Building, and a few days later, before Hojo has a chance to do something irreversible, she 'escapes', excuses are made and the Turks find a single flower in each of their lockers. While Elena gets really confused as why she keeps finding megaphones in hers... :3:

a sawing motion
May 15, 2009

Randalor posted:

:pseudo:Crackpot theory ahead: Aeris was actually the Shinra spy all along. Her mission was to infiltrait AVALANCHE and use them to find the promised land. Cait Sith was sent to assist her in this mission after they realized that the members of AVALANCHE were starting to suspect someone of being a spy. Sephiroth found out that she was playing the party for fools, and so he had to execute her. Eventually, he will join the party as they attack the true enemy, the scheming, manipulative Palmer in his orbital battlefortress.:pseudo:

This is entirely wrong.

Where would Palmer get an ORBITAL battle fortress? :colbert:

No, he would have something far more sinister in store.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Viperix posted:

Quick question, now that were on the subject: are there multiple versions/editions of the "bradygames guide?" Because my guide is from brady games and I don't see anything about Aeris' death in it.

I pulled out my guide to find the pages in question. Note that there's no warning on the previous page that there are major spoilers on the next page.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Personally, I like to think that Aeris's mum has tea and cookies out for the Turks every month when they arrive like clockwork. They take her to the Shinra Building, and a few days later, before Hojo has a chance to do something irreversible, she 'escapes', excuses are made and the Turks find a single flower in each of their lockers. While Elena gets really confused as why she keeps finding megaphones in hers... :3:

This is now canon. It certainly explains why Elena is so uptight all the time.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Dastardly posted:

Yeah It doesn't seem like Shinra is the kind of company not to take what they want. Maybe the Turks simply failed catching her on purpose. "Oh darn Boss, Aeris got away again and there was absolutely nothing we could do. She's pretty quick for someone running in a dress. So I can take next month off right?"
Heck even Tseng seem to be pretty chill while Elena is the only one who takes it seriously but she's a new recruit.

Yeah. The idea that the Turks really are just some dopes who also grew up in the slums makes things interesting. It's also something I can imagine Aeris working an emotional angle for. The Turks, I guess, sometimes suffer from the fact the concept of the Turks is pretty brutal but the writers clearly like them so in practice they're never *too* viciously mean, if that makes sense.

But really, it would have been entirely fine to say "No noncrazy person would believe in that promised land bullshit" if not for the issue that even incredulous people like Hojo are willing to believe it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

penguinmambo posted:

Yeah. The idea that the Turks really are just some dopes who also grew up in the slums makes things interesting. It's also something I can imagine Aeris working an emotional angle for. The Turks, I guess, sometimes suffer from the fact the concept of the Turks is pretty brutal but the writers clearly like them so in practice they're never *too* viciously mean, if that makes sense.

Reno kills an entire seventh (eighth?) of Midgar's lower class and treats it like a tiresome chore at worst. The Turks are bad, bad people, they're just married to their jobs. I guess they were never explicitly told to get serious about kidnapping Aeris until the Promised Land scheme kicked into high gear.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

penguinmambo posted:

But really, it would have been entirely fine to say "No noncrazy person would believe in that promised land bullshit" if not for the issue that even incredulous people like Hojo are willing to believe it.

I don't think using Hojo as an example of a "noncrazy person" really works.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Reno kills an entire seventh (eighth?) of Midgar's lower class and treats it like a tiresome chore at worst. The Turks are bad, bad people, they're just married to their jobs. I guess they were never explicitly told to get serious about kidnapping Aeris until the Promised Land scheme kicked into high gear.

I am pretty sure it is implied that the Turks and Aeris have a more amicable relation than what Cloud got to see, it is not like terrible people have no redeeming qualities at all.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Nighthand posted:

I pulled out my guide to find the pages in question. Note that there's no warning on the previous page that there are major spoilers on the next page.

Interesting, apparently the PC version of the guide is quite different. Or at least there are indeed multiple editions, can't say if it has anything to do with PC vs PS1, but my guide is marked as such.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Nighthand posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ym6Rz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ni0WW.jpg

Hah, I had that. The bestiary is so completely filled with mistakes, typos, entire entries blank, etc. It's like they didn't even proof it before releasing.

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 30, 2012

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nighthand posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ym6Rz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ni0WW.jpg

Wow, that is loving terrible. I might even recommend spoiling the second image, because the guide talks about the White Materia, which we don't even know exists at this point in the LP. All the game has told us thus far is that a glowing orb fell from Aeris' hair during her death slump.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 30, 2012

GoodShipNostalgia
May 7, 2007

"The good ship Nostalgia for Infinity. Still very much as you left her."

bradzilla posted:

Wow, that is loving terrible. I might even recommend spoiling the second image, because the guide talks about the White Materia, which we don't even know exists at this point in the LP. All the game has told us thus far is that a glowing orb fell from Aeris' hair during her death slump.
Actually, she mentioned it when we first met her, though not by name. She just said she had a special materia that does nothing.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

bradzilla posted:

She's already mentioned her Materia that does nothing. She was complaining about it for a while when she was first introduced.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Oxxidation posted:

Reno kills an entire seventh (eighth?) of Midgar's lower class and treats it like a tiresome chore at worst.
It's still just his job. He's at least partly doing it because he'll probably get fired if he doesn't. And given that the Turks are kinda Shinra's secret police, I imagine the nature of any such firing would be a little more... literal.

You probably need to be pretty blase to get by in that kind of situation.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EDIT: I need to read replies a little better. This was already said. :saddowns:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Medieval Medic posted:

I am pretty sure it is implied that the Turks and Aeris have a more amicable relation than what Cloud got to see, it is not like terrible people have no redeeming qualities at all.

This is definitely a valid interpretation of the prequel Crisis Core, and doesn't Rude openly admit to having a crush on her?

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Madmarker posted:

This is definitely a valid interpretation of the prequel Crisis Core, and doesn't Rude openly admit to having a crush on her?

Rude likes Tifa, at least according to the dialogue at Gongaga.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Frocobo posted:

Isn't it mentioned somewhere that Tseng has a crush on Aeris?

Or am I misremembering and that was just internet speculation?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Frocobo posted:

I think it was mentioned when that scene was brought up, but isn't he coded not to attack her unless she is the last one left standing or something?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think it was mentioned when that scene was brought up, but isn't he coded not to attack her unless she is the last one left standing or something?

Yeah this is exactly it. Rude will never attack Tifa when there are other targets. Tseng is crushing on Aeris. Elena likes Tseng. The Turks are like high school kids. :v:

Chaostime
Jan 3, 2008

Kurt Cobain's biggest phobia was bears in pools.

eating only apples posted:

Yeah this is exactly it. Rude will never attack Tifa when there are other targets. Tseng is crushing on Aeris. Elena likes Tseng. The Turks are like high school kids. :v:

You pop up in all the threads I read!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Oxxidation posted:

Reno kills an entire seventh (eighth?) of Midgar's lower class and treats it like a tiresome chore at worst.

It's more than that. Reno drops the plate itself on sector seven, so it not only kills everyone in the Sector 7 Slums it kills everyone in the upper class area who lives in sector seven too, though I don't think we see the upper part of sector seven in game. Actually, I think we've only ever visited sector one and eight of the upper plate district, the station in the very beginning is in sector one and the area right after the first mission and in the opening FMV is Sector 8.

I guess you visit Sector 0 too, since that's where the shinra building is.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I need to ask because it's been bugging me for years, but the FF7 guide I had was short and stout, and all black and white? It had a detailed weapons section at the end, I remember. Had it when I was at school when the game was first released but some prat borrowed it and never gave it back. I always wanted a copy to replace it, but I've only ever been able to find that colour Bradygames one. When I saw short and stout, it was more square than rectangular, and thick, if that makes sense.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Maybe you're thinking of the PC guide? That sounds like the description of the guide I had for the PC version.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... giant spiral shell house with light stairs descending into a fairytale castle with a light moat.

Did the Ancients just make whatever the hell they felt like or is that supposed to represent some ideal but fallen past that the Ancients built the rather ramshackle City of the Ancients on top of?

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

eating only apples posted:

Rude will also sometimes skip his turn ('dialogue' to the effect of Rude: "............" will pop up) if Tifa is the only target.

Beaumains fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 1, 2012

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

For me, Aeris' death scene was ruined forever by a friend of mine several years before I played FF7. Not only did he spoil it, he thought I would appreciate it if he described the scene in great detail and provided his own sound effects for Sephiroth's sword impaling her.

So now, whenever someone mentions Aeris dying, all I can think of is this guy from middle school making this utterly ridiculous splatter sound with his mouth. It's somewhat detrimental to the dramatic effect of the scene.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

I feel like I've been reading too many of SuperMechaGodzilla's posts, and have drank too many Monster energy drinks, so I'm gonna talk more about crossdressing. :haw:

This is not really going to be a discussion of anything remotely canon, but since we've talking about fan-perception I figured it was fair game.

I asked a fangirl why there was so much art of Cloud crossdressing. Like, past the expected amount of fanwackiness you get with FF characters (read: generically pretty dudes in something vaguely anime) Cloud has this weird appeal to that section of fandom wanting such silly fun. I can't think of any proper FF character with the sheer amount of fangirl-centric depictions he has, and was interested. Let's ignore the usually straightforward explanation given by fans that it's funny, hot, cute, a kind of conflagration for implied gayness or just an overextended meme. Those are true but less fun to talk about. The sheer amount and wideness of tone I found weird.

There's something humorous and something interesting in how incongruous it feels. That itself is a bias, but there's literally a line in the game about how the tailor finds the idea making a dress for Cloud interesting (let's ignore he mostly seemed to be surprised a specific dude would, not a guy specifically. Maybe Midgar is real progressive in that respect idk). The idea of treating that like some kind of side interest that never effects someone 'professionally' is interesting. It's simply a atypical quirk. It'd be like if you found out Vincent liked golf or something.

There's the usual spiel that once that meme got rolling, it's a standard of stuff in that origin that the more your male character reminds fans of a female, the female fans tend to more easily gravitate towards identifying with that character. This creates a cycle of improbably dealings with other lovely fellows! Common enough, but that's more a mold the fandom puts him into as a matter of course (I'm kinda of surprised for as much as the stereotype is tossed around, Nomura's 'androgynous' characters are still resolutely male) It's not what we're talking about. Unlike say Squall or even Zidane (where fan(girls) identify with the female character and like the attractive dude in the lead) fangirls seemed as often as not to identify ''with'' Cloud as much as whoever they latched onto for shippy/fannish nonsense.

Second, it bizarrely references Cloud's need to find his own identity rather than living in the shadow of precieved responsibility, or being the cool guy who can always handle it, trying to be swole as gently caress simply to impress others. He's got to search for his own ideas and needs and want. Maybe it's something on the weekends, or something that never really takes. Who knows? And, heck, we just had a FF game recently where the former hero ditches their old clothes to be all different and extroverted.

Hell, even Lighting and Cloud's (I dunno why this keeps coming up! :v:) personal fandoms seem to stem from similar things approach from different sides. You have a fan perception of Cloud as having 'feminine-positive' traits that don't really detract and maybe even enhance his 'masculinity', while Lightning has 'masculine-positive' traits that seem to enhance her femininity.

It's also just amusingly takes the piss out of a character who is sometimes treated overseriously. I still that some throwaway dialogue from Aeris in KH about Squall being worried about the various puppies lost during the game was another thing fans latched onto, so it's probably in that vein. :v:

keet fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

XyloJW posted:

Hah, I had that. The bestiary is so completely filled with mistakes, typos, entire entries blank, etc. It's like they didn't even proof it before releasing.

It took a long time for the guides to FF games to really be good quality. FF9's is infamous, of course, but even my guide for 10 doesn't mention stuff like Valefor's second overdrive or any of the Monster Arena fights.

• Locked thread