Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

There used to exist, in this space, information about the games: Tribes.

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 16, 2014

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
One tip that you might want to do is to reassign spot from left alt to T. Spotting is incredibly important, and you want to spot anyone coming for your flag or your flag's defenders. You can still use the chat by ~, or teamchat with Y.

HiRez gets a lot of crap from us for bad design decisions, and you'll often see fans criticize these things which seem to make not a bit of sense. Regardless of how often they make decisions that make no sense from a player perspective, they do listen to their players. They almost always have 1-3 people hanging out in the #ascend irc channel on irc.tribalwar.com, additionally you'll often get responses about gamebalance issues from @HiRezBart on Twitter. Whatever else you can say about HiRez, the game has certainly gotten better.

The tribes goons irc channel is #tribesgoons on irc.synirc.org.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Nice OP so far, that skiing diagram should solve a lot of first time problems for people who didn't touch the ski training. That and the tips about jumping which are NOT in the tutorial. oh hey the Disc Gun promo I linked is up there too. I helped! :downs:

Also holy poo poo the Generator auto-repairs? I never knew this.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Well done OP, very informative to new players with sprinkled on comedy.
Also, you might want to add that the best way to know when it is going to hit it's to wait to have done the full "swing" of your weapon to back away.

Section Z posted:

Also holy poo poo the Generator auto-repairs? I never knew this.
That's what the little timer they have is for, when they are down.

And continuing the Doombringer discussion, get the Mines if possible, they are also useful in TDM and C&H, placed near points, inventory stations (near, not on. They just jump up and down until they self-detonate shortly after) and in those tunnels some maps have (also good places for force fields).

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That deal on steam looks pretty nice, I'll give this a go.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Here's what the topic's title is referring to, because unexplained in-jokes suck :v:

It's also mandatory viewing if you play T:A.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Replying to a post from the other thread.

Section Z posted:

Since scoped view sniping has never been a strong point of mine (But I'm not terrible with Gunslinger in SMNC. I guess just something about scopes and me don't agree with eachother), Sentinel probably won't even get full mastery with me.

Speaking of sentinel, is the drop jammer supposed to crap out on you, or not even cause the visible jamming effect for along while after you drop a fresh one in the first place? Or is the visual effect just being wonky on me?

EDIT: Whoops, new thread time.

The Drop Jammer is linked to your generator, so if it's down, your Drop Jammer is useless. Otherwise, it's a critical asset, as it masks all UI indicators for any friendlies within its range, which makes it harder for the enemy to tell what's happening in that area. That includes friendly players, mines, etc. Once it's fully upgraded you can have two deployed at once. I hide them anywhere they can ruin an Infiltrator's day. There's also a graphics bug where you won't see the "static" overlay, even if you're in the Jammer's area of effect and receiving its benefit, this includes friendly Raider's Jammer packs.

If you're having trouble aiming as a Sentinel, add this to your TribesInput.ini, just make sure to fill in the senstivity numbers with whatever is comfortable for you (Seriously add this to the OP; we don't all have a $50 mouse that allows us to adjust our DPI on the fly.):

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Rule of thumb seems to be hardcore EXTREME gaming mouse 6-8, cheapo mouse 10-15.

You can also edit your tribesinput.ini like this

Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",Command="PressedZoom | setsensitivity 8.0 | OnRelease DemagnifyZoom | OnRelease ReleasedZoom | OnRelease setsensitivity 12.0",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

This makes it 8 sensitivity when I zoom and 12 when unzoomed.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 1, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Songbearer posted:

Here's what the topic's title is referring to, because unexplained in-jokes suck :v:

Skeleton Money is my new favorite term.

Also, thanks for the heads up that drop jammers are yet ANOTHER linked to the generator item. I should have realized since deployable, but I was thinking of the raider jammer which doesn't need gen.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 1, 2012

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
There was a boost evaluation made by a player named Distractobot (not a goon) when the average xp/gold rate was 144.82 back in February during the open beta.
code:
Booster                        Gold Cost     XP To Break Even       …Per Day  
1 Day XP Booster            240                 34757                        34757
3 Day XP Booster            400                 57928                        19309
10 Day XP Booster          640                 92685                          9268
30 Day XP Booster        1200               173784                          5793
90 Day XP Booster        2400               347568                          3862

The current (non daily deal) xp/gold rate is closer to 175 since the June 22 update. Assuming that, here's the current breakdown.
code:
Booster                        Gold Cost     XP To Break Even       …Per Day
1 Day XP Booster            240                 42000                        42000
3 Day XP Booster            400                 70000                        23333
10 Day XP Booster          640               112000                        11200
30 Day XP Booster        1200               210000                          7000
90 Day XP Booster        2400               420000                          4667
The XP gain rate is in the first post, but before boost, it is 2200/hour assuming you win 50% of the time and come in 8th on your team. With VIP and boost it becomes 6600/hour. The first win of the day is regularly 1200 XP, but with VIP and boost it is 3600 XP. Badges are normally worth 500, 1000, 2000, or 3000 depending on rank, but they are affected by VIP and boost, so badge hunting can shorten the time to break even on boosters as well.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I play a fair few fps games online, but this is so different. It just hasn't clicked with me. It's a bit frustrating because I recognise there's a good, balanced game in there but I keep getting my rear end handed to me. My aiming in Tribes is just terrible. I played Q3 for years, I regularly play scout in tf2, but the pace of this seems...slower, I dunno. Anyone got any general tips?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

adamarama posted:

I play a fair few fps games online, but this is so different. It just hasn't clicked with me. It's a bit frustrating because I recognise there's a good, balanced game in there but I keep getting my rear end handed to me. My aiming in Tribes is just terrible. I played Q3 for years, I regularly play scout in tf2, but the pace of this seems...slower, I dunno. Anyone got any general tips?

What you are feeling is that while Tribes has high movement speeds the actual changing of directions is not easy. Movement in Tribes is very much a plan ahead action.
As for Aiming you have to adjust for Inheritance, Projectiles have 50% which takes some getting used to. Bullets are at 0 so those may be easier to aim with since you only have to account for the opponents movement.
Could also try a Pathfinder with a Shotgun and Thrust Pack, they are the most mobile in changing direction rapidly with some energy conservation and Shotgun is Hitscan so point and click.

MadHat fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 1, 2012

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

adamarama posted:

The pace is somewhat slower than tf2, players are slower relative to the size of the maps and there's often not much action going on, especially on bad maps like temple ruins. Once you can read the flow of a game though and understand where the action is and isn't and why you can be quite active. I recommend starting off by playing defense, roam your side of the map killing anyone who's attacking your base, especially if they're disrupting the hof. As for duels, you'll start winning if you use the right equipment. Pick 2 good, non-situational weapons and put quick draw on your second perk slot, and quickly switch between weapons as the passive reload gets them ready. You'll be using 2 guns while most people you'll fight will be using 1 and you'll destroy them with no challenge once you've practiced. The default soldier weapons are very good for a beginner. Aiming is just practice. I don't recommend starting with a light class since you'll die instantly if you come across a good player using a top tier loadout.

Adrian Owlsley fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 1, 2012

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
What routes are there to grab the flag on crossfire? Most maps I have played on have relatively obvious and open routes to grab at high speed, but this map is pretty hard, since the turrets and the placeable forcefields that deal damage based on speed make it an rear end to get good speed up from the front and coming in from the rear or top is very slooow.

Also, are there any real uses of the gravbike? Me and a friend have been playing for about a day, and attempting to do crazy gravbike maneuvers to get him on the back of the bike with the flag is just plain worse than him skiing and me following and shooting at people following, which sucks as the idea sounded fun :(

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hello new thread!

<pats everyone on rear end>

Well done, chaps. Nice OP.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Songbearer posted:

That video made my everything hurt, drat you new thread title! However the OP looks pretty good so far, nice job HLC!

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
WTF I can only play on custom servers for some reason? STEAM
edit: Just some bug went away on its own.

Grimwall fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 1, 2012

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

whiteshark12 posted:

What routes are there to grab the flag on crossfire? Most maps I have played on have relatively obvious and open routes to grab at high speed, but this map is pretty hard, since the turrets and the placeable forcefields that deal damage based on speed make it an rear end to get good speed up from the front and coming in from the rear or top is very slooow.

This is a good primer on xfire routes that are pretty easy to pull off. This one is more advanced, complete with deadmau5.

quote:

Also, are there any real uses of the gravbike? Me and a friend have been playing for about a day, and attempting to do crazy gravbike maneuvers to get him on the back of the bike with the flag is just plain worse than him skiing and me following and shooting at people following, which sucks as the idea sounded fun :(

Gravbikes are best used for transporting slower classes and not killing people. They're fun, but there's not a lot of utility besides the easy speed.

Class guide will be up later tonight, guys. Pretty proud of this one.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

You need to start a new names list again. Help your goons connect to fellow goons.

Also, IRC stuff
#slamurai on irc.tribalwar.com - the more popular one.
#tribesgoons on irc.synirc.net - the goon only one.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
So, I purchased the $10 deal through steam. It was supposed to come with a 50% boost for life. But the game isn't showing that I'm receiving a boost.

Am I actually receiving a boost or not?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

n0n0 posted:

So, I purchased the $10 deal through steam. It was supposed to come with a 50% boost for life. But the game isn't showing that I'm receiving a boost.

Am I actually receiving a boost or not?

The 50%+ for life bonus is called VIP. If you finish a game and have points in the VIP bar then you have it. It should also be at the top in the game menu. An actual 'Boost' is temporary and can only be bought with gold, the steam starter pack does not contain one.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

The 50%+ for life bonus is called VIP. If you finish a game and have points in the VIP bar then you have it. It should also be at the top in the game menu. An actual 'Boost' is temporary and can only be bought with gold, the steam starter pack does not contain one.
Er. They shouldn't call it a boost if it's not actually a boost. I was already a VIP member. They should have called it VIP membership. Jerks.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

n0n0 posted:

Er. They shouldn't call it a boost if it's not actually a boost. I was already a VIP member. They should have called it VIP membership. Jerks.

They did

quote:

Lifetime VIP Membership: Earn 50% more XP in every match you play

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

Toilet Rascal
I didn't look closely enough. At the top, it simply says Bonus. In the details, it specifies that the bonus is from VIP membership. My bad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

n0n0 posted:

I didn't look closely enough. At the top, it simply says Bonus. In the details, it specifies that the bonus is from VIP membership. My bad.

Yeah it could be clearer, easy mistake to make. Even without the VIP though it still isn't a bad deal (comparatively) , the normal $9.99 deal is just 800 gold and VIP. With this you got a bunch of weapons and classes unlocked for free.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Replying from the old thread:

Truspeaker posted:

I bought the steam starter pack, and it did all of nothing. Looking at the steam forums and other people are having the same issue.
If anybody else has this issue where you buy the starter pack and it doesn't do anything, are you launching the Steam version of the game, or the normal version from HiRez? If you aren't using the Steam version, go into the launcher app and click the gears in the top-right corner. In the "Optional game command line parameters:" edit box, type in: -steam

Start the game and it should unlock your starter pack.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Snipers annoying you? Tactical strike them from across the map :getin:

Also holy poo poo people on TDM do not understand that you can spawn right next to your enemies. I just killed two people by spawning right behind them and meleeing them.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 2, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

yaoi prophet posted:

Snipers annoying you? Tactical strike them from across the map :getin:

Also holy poo poo people on TDM do not understand that you can spawn right next to your enemies. I just killed two people by spawning right behind them and meleeing them.
As much of a clusterfuck TDM seems to become most of the time, some of my favorite moments were simply turning around at spawn and beating a guy just staying at spawn killing people from there to the punch. This seemed to cause more rage than the victims of the spawncamping were showing :allears:

EDIT: So I just unlocked brute, I go to check what my current deal of the day is and oh god damnit it's Stealthy again :argh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 2, 2012

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Nalin posted:

Replying from the old thread:

If anybody else has this issue where you buy the starter pack and it doesn't do anything, are you launching the Steam version of the game, or the normal version from HiRez? If you aren't using the Steam version, go into the launcher app and click the gears in the top-right corner. In the "Optional game command line parameters:" edit box, type in: -steam

Start the game and it should unlock your starter pack.

I wish, there seems to be a ton of different things breaking it because a ton of different things will fix it. And I have yet to find the thing that will fix it for me. When it came out on steam I uninstalled the game and redownloaded it through steam, which I assume is why it broke. Its pretty dumb that they dont just give you a key or something.

So far the list of things that have fixed it for some people (including any combination of some/all of these):
Deleting Clientregistry.blob
Adding -steam to the parameters
Deleting your My Games/Tribes folder
Uninstalling completely, including the hi rez patching stuff, which is a separate application.
Waiting in the lobby for a bit.
Restarting your computer.

I have a support ticket with steam and with hi rez, shits gonna get sorted eventually.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, my first match as Brute ended up on Arx Nova CTF... Holy Balls that Heavy Spinfusor. I feel like I'm goddamned CHEATING against any sentinel that isn't constantly moving, or has the bad luck to be moving back and forth only to end up one shot by a disc from a mile away.

I got three one shot kills on three DIFFERENT sentinels within thirty seconds. First one was on the Aqueducts so I snuck up behind them for a shot... Which revealed to me I can one-shot a sentinel. Commence two more shots each taking out a sentinel. And many more similar kills across the match, sweet baby Jesus on a shrike.

Why the hell do I see so many Devestator spinfusors when the Default one has that kind of damage? Though I guess the bigger splash radius would be better for indoors spam fest carnage.

Auto-shotgun is fun for finishing people off, or taking out half their health when I'm too lazy to aim properly. I'm just still terrible at gauging the distance for knowing "too far away for anything to hit them at all".

EDIT: It's only 2,900 Experience to master the Heavy Spinfusor? Is that like, the lowest mastery number in the game or what? Though this makes the 15,000 Exp mastery button all the more hilarious. (I'm never gonna use it, but does that button master everything on your class, or only the currently selected item?)

I checked the wiki... Wiki says its 14,000 to full rank Heavy Spinfusor. What's going on?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 2, 2012

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I suddenly suck really badly at this game, why the gently caress am I playing with gold ranks???
You're in the kiddy pool until rank 7, and then matchmaking throws you in with the pubstars. Expect to get your rear end kicked until you begin to feel the Zen of Tribes.
I just hit this. I was having fun. Now I am sad.

I'm playing technician and this one dude keep taking out the base sentries from half-way across the map. When I chase him down, someone else always gets into our base and destroys our generators. WTF am I supposed to do?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Section Z posted:

So, my first match as Brute ended up on Arx Nova CTF... Holy Balls that Heavy Spinfusor. I feel like I'm goddamned CHEATING against any sentinel that isn't constantly moving, or has the bad luck to be moving back and forth only to end up one shot by a disc from a mile away.

I got three one shot kills on three DIFFERENT sentinels within thirty seconds. First one was on the Aqueducts so I snuck up behind them for a shot... Which revealed to me I can one-shot a sentinel. Commence two more shots each taking out a sentinel. And many more similar kills across the match, sweet baby Jesus on a shrike.

Why the hell do I see so many Devestator spinfusors when the Default one has that kind of damage? Though I guess the bigger splash radius would be better for indoors spam fest carnage.

Auto-shotgun is fun for finishing people off, or taking out half their health when I'm too lazy to aim properly. I'm just still terrible at gauging the distance for knowing "too far away for anything to hit them at all".

EDIT: It's only 2,900 Experience to master the Heavy Spinfusor? Is that like, the lowest mastery number in the game or what? Though this makes the 15,000 Exp mastery button all the more hilarious. (I'm never gonna use it, but does that button master everything on your class, or only the currently selected item?)

I checked the wiki... Wiki says its 14,000 to full rank Heavy Spinfusor. What's going on?

Because the Devastator has an even higher direct hit damage on top of the slightly larger radius. And if you need to hit fleeing enemies, get the Nova Colt, maybe the Plasma Cannon, but I prefer the hitscan of the Colt.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

qnqnx posted:

Because the Devastator has an even higher direct hit damage on top of the slightly larger radius. And if you need to hit fleeing enemies, get the Nova Colt, maybe the Plasma Cannon, but I prefer the hitscan of the Colt.
Ah, so yet ANOTHER case of the game outright lying to you.
"A favorite among heavies, the Devastator variant deals a little less damage overall, but packs a significantly harder punch on a direct hit, and has a larger explosion radius."
On top of the smaller damage bar. Blah.

Also, ooooh Hitscan pistol. I'd probably hit more things with that than shotgun because Range.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Section Z posted:

Primary reason: new, shiny, YELLOW

A decent reason, but not the one probably most use: bigger AE makes it a convincing alternative as a dueling weapon, higher direct-hit damage is better for disc-sniping base assets

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Section Z posted:

Ah, so yet ANOTHER case of the game outright lying to you.
"A favorite among heavies, the Devastator variant deals a little less damage overall, but packs a significantly harder punch on a direct hit, and has a larger explosion radius."
On top of the smaller damage bar. Blah.
It says it explicitly there.

quote:

but packs a significantly harder punch on a direct hit
And the Devastator Spinfusor deals 1204 on a direct hit, the Heavy Spinfusor deals 1050.
The "little less damage overall" part it's because the Heavy Spinfusor has a maximum splash damage of 750, while it is 700 for the devastator.
Despite that, it feels like a straight upgrade to me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

qnqnx posted:

It says it explicitly there.
Duur. I guess my brain shut off on reading the "Deals a little less damage overall" detail in the first half of the sentence. I wasn't expecting it to turn around and say "Oh, it also deals MORE damage" after saying it dealt less and the bar indicated as much.

Yes I can see it being a straight loving upgrade there then. "This weapon deals a little less splash damage but has a a larger splash radius... Oh, also it deals A LOT MORE DAMAGE on a direct hit so what was the downside again?" I mean we're talking a difference of one-shotting every medium class on a direct hit that doesn't have complete armor mastery, or first notch of armor mastery on Raiders. Then you just need to sneeze in their general direction for the finish.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 2, 2012

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
Every time I join a PUG, I'm reminded at how terrible I am at the game. Any PUG-level player will chain me down instantly with any SMG. If they removed every bullet weapon that wasn't the DMB, PTH, and SNT, the game would be so much more fun.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
By the way, if you use the referral link that Hanks Lust Cafe provides in the first post, you and he both get 5000 XP upon you reaching rank 6. At 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, etc. total referrals he would also get some gold rewards but it's mostly the 5000 XP for each of you. It's really worth using a referral if you can.

Sketh
Jun 7, 2008
I'm only in the beginner matches at the moment but drat if the pathfinder isn't the greatest thing ever, leading groups of enemies on huge chases battling the whole way is ridiculously fun.

Is the balance really as bad as is being made out in the higher rank matches? I'm not particularly interested in the competitive side, as long as it remains viable to keep playing with the lighter classes. I did notice in one of the games that the chain gun tended to shred me if I got too close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Ahaha. I was getting chased by a guy while I was capping, and I was skiing along a particularly long, flat portion of the route. So I turn around, throw a grenade, and it blows up right in his face for 1000. Wish I could see what that looked like from his perspective :v:

• Locked thread