Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Sketh posted:

Is the balance really as bad as is being made out in the higher rank matches? I'm not particularly interested in the competitive side, as long as it remains viable to keep playing with the lighter classes. I did notice in one of the games that the chain gun tended to shred me if I got too close.

Sort of, the game is balanced for CTF, so if you aren't playing CTF then the game will not be well balanced between the classes. If you are, then every class has a role in non-competitive play. The technician and brute are the classes that don't see much competitive play use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

yaoi prophet posted:

Ahaha. I was getting chased by a guy while I was capping, and I was skiing along a particularly long, flat portion of the route. So I turn around, throw a grenade, and it blows up right in his face for 1000. Wish I could see what that looked like from his perspective :v:

Skiing backwards in general is pretty fun, and makes it a lot easier to dodge things from chasers if you know the route.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

nelson posted:

I just hit this. I was having fun. Now I am sad.

I'm playing technician and this one dude keep taking out the base sentries from half-way across the map. When I chase him down, someone else always gets into our base and destroys our generators. WTF am I supposed to do?

Press your ALT key over them to alert your teammates, usually someone will chase after him and keep him busy. There's only so much you can do by yourself. Sadly, because the base assets aren't shielded like in Tribes 1/2, any jackass can bring down assets/deployables from a long distance. The Mortar is designed to break poo poo, but the discs are what you'll be dealing with more often than not. On the plus side, you'll get more credits for repairing stuff than they will for breaking them, which means you can upgrade them sooner. You also get credits for repairing deployables and vehicles, whereas they don't get anything for breaking deployable turrets/force fields. If your turrets are level 4 and someone is still disc sniping them pat yourself on the back, because those turrets are almost always useless. He screws his own offense because instead of attacking a genuine threat, he's removing himself from the battle for a cheap 200 creds.

Your deployable turrets are slightly more important because they rip players to shreds. Just hide them where they can be both effective and inconvenient to the enemy. They're expendable; you can always just set another down.

Also, upgrade both your Generator/Sensor by at least 1 asap. You'll receive the Investor accolade every two minutes by each provided they can go that long without being disabled, which means 400 free creds every two minutes.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 2, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I don't know what it is, but every time I join a pubbie server and load up my Thumper Repairman, I get at least one round of lovely kill-streaks and XP. Thumper, Improved Repair Gun, Motion Sensors and Mechanic seem to flummox even the most dedicated Infiltrators and Raiders. Even better, I get to yell at anybody else that comes into the room because one tech on generator defense is more than enough, thank you very much.

Then they roll out with half a dozen Brutes and ruin my stuff, but hey, that's six less people going for our flag or defending theirs, right?

As long as there's some flag defense, it's a good place to be. And if there isn't... well, there's a reason I have a Fatbringer loadout. :unsmith:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Thumper, Improved Repair Gun, Motion Sensors and Mechanic seem to flummox even the most dedicated Infiltrators and Raiders.

That sounds like a good combo. I think I'll aim for that in my upgrade path.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Sketh posted:

I'm only in the beginner matches at the moment but drat if the pathfinder isn't the greatest thing ever, leading groups of enemies on huge chases battling the whole way is ridiculously fun.

Is the balance really as bad as is being made out in the higher rank matches? I'm not particularly interested in the competitive side, as long as it remains viable to keep playing with the lighter classes. I did notice in one of the games that the chain gun tended to shred me if I got too close.

The balance issues only really start showing up in higher level play, just playing Casual and not very serious most will not notice the problems. You might have trouble in a Pub if a really good Chain or Sentinel user is playing but otherwise most of the problems will not be as evident.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Updated the second post with the first bit of the class guide. Lots more left to do with it. I'll be beefing it up with an unlock guide tomorrow night.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

sitchelin posted:

Your deployable turrets are slightly more important because they rip players to shreds. Just hide them where they can be both effective and inconvenient to the enemy. They're expendable; you can always just set another down.

Once the flag has been stolen once it's pretty obvious where the main capper's path is. So I put a turret where they lands after taking the flag. Once they can't use their favourite route they're hosed.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I do that with Claymores. I especially like to stick them under the aqueducts on Arx Novena, the back to front cappers fall for it every time.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I was re-reading through the new OP and thought of a few things. I would just PM this but I don't have plat so I figured I would just post it here. I assure you I am just trying to help and not be a nit-picking rear end in a top hat.

In the section about gold, it says to spend it on boosts or deal of the day. It might be worth mentioning that the bundle packs are typically a pretty good deal too. Whatever.

In the CTF section it refers to all offense and defense as "light" offense or "light" defense. At least from back in T1, I was always under the impression that the "light" part refered to your armor type. As in, an Infiltrator would be light offense, while a Raider would be medium offense, and a Juggernaught would be heavy offense (or defense if that is what you are doing). I doubt each needs it's own bullet point, but just calling it offense and defense might be easiest, unless I am wrong about this.

Finally, in the TDM section, it says "whichever team is carrying the flag will cause the opposing team to lose 2 lives with each fallen member" but doesn't mention that the other team still gets kills at a 1:1 ratio. This is pretty obvious if you have played TDM a few times, but might be ambiguous to someone who hasn't tried it.

Dammit, I hate giving criticism, but, again, just trying to help. That aside, it's a great OP, and the class section looks like it is comming along really well!

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
I was pleasantly surprised to find that this game reminded me so much of Tribes 2, the game that ate most of my free time in high school. Ended up springing for the Steam sale, which I agree was a drat good bargain.

One of the things I like best about it so far is, aside from all the goes fast, is the lack of dedicated snipers. Just the fact that you can't camp out on a ledge somewhere and boom headshot people all day adds a lot to the action.

I have a problem though, which I believe stems from my being terrible. I love the infiltrator class but the SMG and pistol loadout feels so... not fatal enough. I mean granted the SMG is great for unloading a short point-blank burst into someone to make sure my followup knife strike kills them, but that's the best use I've found for it. Outside of a generator room I'm going to get obliterated by a spinfusor while I'm pumping bullets into everything but the guy I'm shooting at.

I guess that's not really the point of the class, though.

Still, when it comes to assassinating people indoors, my melee attack is too awkward to hit them if they're moving (and isn't a guaranteed kill on anything that isn't light anyway) and explosive weapons will rip me apart. Should I spring for a Jackal/Stealthfusor or just keep lobbing grenades at the dudes clustered around the broken generator?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Unfortunately for you, there is a dedicated sniper, that's the Sentinel, and they do camp out on ledges boom headshotting people all day (though headshots don't actually do any extra dammage but you can get badges for it). I am assuming you are still in the newbie bracket so you won't see alot of Sentinels because most people won't have sprung the xp or gold to unlock them, and those who have probably aren't all that good with them yet. A good Sentinel can dominate on defense and shut cappers down very well. There is still plenty of action to be had though, as you said, that aside.

As far as the Infiltrator goes, yeah, the SMG is okay, but it isn't really a very "Infiltratorish" weapon. To effectively tear up bases and flag stands, you really need an explosive weapon, and the Jackal is the weapon everyone agrees upon for that. It is great for duels and random killing as well, though it takes a little getting used to. I would definately recommend picking it up, or the bundle pack that includes it if you intend on playing Infiltrator at all.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Okay, I have all the classes unlocked. It then gave me stealthy for the second time this week as my daily sale... Okay, just some bad luck. Maybe something I'd actually WANT to spend gold on will show up?

Mercenary Skin for Infiltrator... Goddamnit.

Speaking of them...

I'm still a huge newb, but I've gotten a bit more used to the default weapons so at least against the average person I can pick off plenty, even do some light chasing. Unfortunately, what got my aim with Non-Hitscan bullet weapons better was some time with the Raider's faster RoF SMG. So you're stuck with practice.

Melee... I never, ever use melee on anybody who isn't standing completely still. It's a bit off and there is a firing delay. You sound like you have much better luck with it than I do. If you can land a sticky onto them, one sticky is a kill on light classes, but they have a much larger splash radius than the blast looks so if your indoors this can still paste you. If it's a light class, sometimes they deer in the headlights long enough to just pistol down without them moving. I've gotten a few sentinels that way. Final rank of Close Combat gives you a backstab bonus that will even kill Techs (unless they ALSO have close combat) I believe. But I'm a sucker for Bounty hunter or Safety Third... And I don't have close combat yet. (Bounty hunter math! Bonus: +200 from Bounty Hunter, +100 for "Belt Kill", +200 for Sticky Kill. WHOOO!... Can sticky bombs get air mail?)

Jackal seems a hell of a lot better for "surprise! dead light class/Average Tech", rapidly glue three 480 damage explosives to their skull and hit Reload for the boom. That will one shot any light, and any MEDIUM class (techs, raiders) if you pull it off. Even the soldier with the utility pack doesn't have quite enough HP to survive 3 directly applied Jackal rounds. Plus, you can use it to break radars, and mostly damaged turrets so you can save your grenades.

Keep in mind I don't own any thing beyond some perks, every class, and the Soldier spinfusor (promo unlocked). So I've been having to take on Jackal and stealth spinfusor wielding infiltrators with my Rhino and pistol... But I'll be damned if counter-infiltrator isn't some of the most fun I have in this game.

EDIT: Sticky grenades CAN get air mail. Granted that's probably near impossible to pull off. Throwing knives... you can one two combo the throwing knife instantly followed up by melee and if both connect that's a dead light OR medium. Also Throwing knives either have no falloff, or insanely forgiving falloff. From the top of the ship in target practice they still deal full 350 damage (if you can hit them from there) to the row of three light, medium, heavy practice targets.

Again, I don't own them. But I figure I'd like pistol more since I can spam it easier. Two pistol bullets are just 10 damage less than a knife... Or, 10 more damage if you had Arctic pistol.

Tl;DR: The Jackal will instantly kill even medium classes if you land all three jackal rounds on them and explode them (with reload or fire), which takes all of half a second to do so. Plus then you can be a big jerk and leave more jackal rounds near things people want to repair... or the nearest repair gun station.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 2, 2012

Muey
Sep 21, 2006

SPARKLE POWER

Rixen posted:

One of the things I like best about it so far is, aside from all the goes fast, is the lack of dedicated snipers. Just the fact that you can't camp out on a ledge somewhere and boom headshot people all day adds a lot to the action.
The sniper in T:A is a pretty 'dedicated' sniper - you can't do much else.

If you haven't been annoyed snipers yet it just means you haven't stumbled on one yet. Most good snipers don't really pub anymore, and if they do they're usually doing something else than sniping. You do stumble on pubstars ocassionally though.

quote:

I have a problem though, which I believe stems from my being terrible. I love the infiltrator class but the SMG and pistol loadout feels so... not fatal enough. I mean granted the SMG is great for unloading a short point-blank burst into someone to make sure my followup knife strike kills them, but that's the best use I've found for it. Outside of a generator room I'm going to get obliterated by a spinfusor while I'm pumping bullets into everything but the guy I'm shooting at.
Outdoors the SMG is much better than the spinfusor any day. You shouldn't really have trouble winning duels with it as long as you use your element of surprise to your advantage, your opponent will be half dead by the time they react to you shooting them.

quote:

Still, when it comes to assassinating people indoors, my melee attack is too awkward to hit them if they're moving (and isn't a guaranteed kill on anything that isn't light anyway) and explosive weapons will rip me apart.
Indoors well, the jackal is still, despite nerfs, totally ridiculous and better than the stealth spinfusor in every possible way, so if you're saving up for an upgrade, go for that one. Melee is good but really unreliable, particularly if they're walking away from you, so I only bother to go for it on standstill targets or people passing a corner (so they can't just turn around and shoot me in the face if I miss).

quote:

Should I spring for a Jackal/Stealthfusor or just keep lobbing grenades at the dudes clustered around the broken generator?
Grenades are good but if you really want to play capture-the-gen style inf you want the jackal (or SSF, but why go for it when the jackal is better and cost is the same).
That way you can walk up to the repair party, backstab one dude, drop a burst of jackal rounds into the other while he tries to scramble, and if there's still more dudes around, drop a sticky or two at your feet while retreating to safety/stealth behind the closest corner.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
Thanks everyone! Looks like I'm going for the Jackal (or trying to scrape together the 200-ish gold I need to afford the infiltrator bundle) next chance I get.

I should clarify that when I said "no dedicated snipers" I meant more that nobody seemed to actually be playing the Sentinel class. I've run into a bunch of Sentinels but most of them seemed to have chosen the class for access to claymores.

I've run into a couple who actually played the camping game, though they were all pretty terrible shots so that probably isn't a good indicator of what I should expect. They seemed to concern themselves mostly with picking off light turrets and then getting murdered when we inevitably followed their shot's trail back to the source.

I'll have to give it another go. My experience with the Sentinel is that their weapon damage is abysmal, and the speed at which their opponents are moving makes trying to land shots incredibly difficult. Unless they're coming right at me, I mean. Still, as a Sentinel I feel outclassed by heavier dudes. They can do my job with much, much bigger bullets and then close in and start loving everything up with near-impunity.

You guys are right about me being in the newbie bracket still, though. I think I only just recently hit rank 6 so I'll have to see how the game starts playing out from here on in.

Thanks again for the info!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone have experience with the Spinfusor/Eagle Pistol combo for Soldiers? The AR is good but I'm not used to this kind of speed in conjunction with non-hitscan bullets.

vvv: Thanks for the advice, 24!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 2, 2012

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

@Rixen Glad to help, if you haven't taken advantage of the facebook deal yet, apparantly that can get you the extra 250 gold that you might need. Concerning Sentinels, I'm pretty horrible at the class myself (mostly because I don't enjoy it much so I don't practice it), but once you get a good one on the opposing team, it becomes obvious how powerful they can be in the right hands.

@toasterwarrior The AR/Thumper Soldier is arguably the best option though some people like running Spinfusor/Thumper with the Quickdraw perk as an effective gimick, but Spinfusor/Eagle is what I run with when I play soldier. It is the "true tribal way" for having the Spinfusor (fun) for when people are on the ground and disc sniping, along with the utility of the Eagle as something to hit people in the air with somewhat reliably, a finisher, and for using at range while on the move. It is a versatile and fun combo, pair it up with the utility pack for best results. Looter and Survivalist are my perks of choice there, which really are a good pair on most classes if you aren't trying to do something niche like flag running or heavy on flag.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I would totally buy this, but payday is the sixth. I really, really want this lifetime VIP boost. If someone's willing to set me up, I'll totes repay the favor over the weekend with a similarly priced game in return.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It's free to play, just download it and try it out. If you decide you like it and want to put some money in, do that when you get paid (the current $10 steam bundle is a pretty good deal). The VIP boost isn't going anywhere, it's been around for about half a year since beta and I don't think they are going to pull out on that ever, certainly not in the next week. You wouldn't really miss out on anything, is this a real post?

@toaster Sure thing!

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

It's free to play, just download it and try it out. If you decide you like it and want to put some money in, do that when you get paid (the current $10 steam bundle is a pretty good deal). The VIP boost isn't going anywhere, it's been around for about half a year since beta and I don't think they are going to pull out on that ever, certainly not in the next week. You wouldn't really miss out on anything, is this a real post?

The -50% special offer ends on the 4th though. The bundle will of course be available after that as well.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

This is the best game released recently. No question. Stop playing TF2 and play this.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Downloading it now, need something to pull me away from SMNC. If I really, really enjoy it then I'll plunk down full price after I get paid.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone have experience with the Spinfusor/Eagle Pistol combo for Soldiers? The AR is good but I'm not used to this kind of speed in conjunction with non-hitscan bullets.

vvv: Thanks for the advice, 24!

AR/Thumper is the better load out for most situations but spin/eagle is still fantastic. Particularly good for enemy base harassment as you can destroy base assets from a distance and annoy the flag defenders. Don't try and dual any fatties with autos though, you will lose.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Double Bill posted:

The -50% special offer ends on the 4th though. The bundle will of course be available after that as well.

Ah, sorry, I don't really use steam, so I didn't know the deal had a deadline. The VIP status would still stand though either way. Apologies to Pseudophile.

Also, pretty awesome that someone named "TheShazbot" with a Tribes avatar is in on this.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Twenty Four posted:

I was re-reading through the new OP and thought of a few things. I would just PM this but I don't have plat so I figured I would just post it here. I assure you I am just trying to help and not be a nit-picking rear end in a top hat.

In the section about gold, it says to spend it on boosts or deal of the day. It might be worth mentioning that the bundle packs are typically a pretty good deal too. Whatever.

In the CTF section it refers to all offense and defense as "light" offense or "light" defense. At least from back in T1, I was always under the impression that the "light" part refered to your armor type. As in, an Infiltrator would be light offense, while a Raider would be medium offense, and a Juggernaught would be heavy offense (or defense if that is what you are doing). I doubt each needs it's own bullet point, but just calling it offense and defense might be easiest, unless I am wrong about this.

Finally, in the TDM section, it says "whichever team is carrying the flag will cause the opposing team to lose 2 lives with each fallen member" but doesn't mention that the other team still gets kills at a 1:1 ratio. This is pretty obvious if you have played TDM a few times, but might be ambiguous to someone who hasn't tried it.

Dammit, I hate giving criticism, but, again, just trying to help. That aside, it's a great OP, and the class section looks like it is comming along really well!

Thank you, I'll make the appropriate changes when I get home from work.

Pseudophile posted:

I would totally buy this, but payday is the sixth. I really, really want this lifetime VIP boost. If someone's willing to set me up, I'll totes repay the favor over the weekend with a similarly priced game in return.

Sure, link me to your Steam profile.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Thank you, I'll make the appropriate changes when I get home from work.

Sure, link me to your Steam profile.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Pseudophile/ is me, thank you very, very much!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Twenty Four posted:

Usually light and medium offense gets put into the same category so it's LO for lights and mediums and HO for heavies. The same is true for LD, it is light or medium armor defense.

Also Hanks, didn't TDM change to 120 lives per team on the last update?

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Mega Comrade posted:

AR/Thumper is the better load out for most situations but spin/eagle is still fantastic. Particularly good for enemy base harassment as you can destroy base assets from a distance and annoy the flag defenders. Don't try and dual any fatties with autos though, you will lose.

I can almost hear enemy mediums laughing when I show up in my base assault Jugg loadout (MIRV & Spin) and have no effective anti-air. The laughter stops when I switch to Mortar/LMG. I think Soldier might be better for base asset destruction if the team already has Raiders & Infiltrators, and can easily switch to flag carrier escort or some other role.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've got the Technician motion sensor as my daily deal, is it worth buying for 70% off? I enjoy playing Tech quite a lot but I don't really know if its worth trading in my grenades for that.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

On INF chat:

I recently unlocked infiltrator as I've been finally trying classes other than pathfinder lately. I want to upgrade my primary to an AoE weapon as it's definitely lacking from the class. The Jackal seems to be the goto weapon, but what if I'm more used to using spinfusors? Is the stealth spinfusor that bad? I've also recently unlocked the raider so I've been getting a bit of experience with the Arx Buster, and not really enjoying it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FrickenMoron posted:

I've got the Technician motion sensor as my daily deal, is it worth buying for 70% off? I enjoy playing Tech quite a lot but I don't really know if its worth trading in my grenades for that.

The motion sensor is fantastic for base defense!

Makes for a poopy time as Inf or really any class dead set on loving with your generator if you're smart about placing them.

Mix that with your turrets and you can usually lock down the place against 1-2 dedicated attackers.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks, I've been debating how to spend my 800 gold I got with the steam deal pack and probably am gonna use it to buy discounted unlock. What's the chance of getting the Tech thumper as a daily deal?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FrickenMoron posted:

What's the chance of getting the Tech thumper as a daily deal?

As good as anything else?

I'm not sure if it still works, but I think it used to be possible to jump the daily deal forward by tweaking your system clock - Not sure if this still works.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

FrickenMoron posted:

Thanks, I've been debating how to spend my 800 gold I got with the steam deal pack and probably am gonna use it to buy discounted unlock. What's the chance of getting the Tech thumper as a daily deal?

Supposedly the daily deals are responsive to your play-style, so if you're playing tech a bunch it should pop up quicker.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
So what's the opinion on lightweight? Is ego still the default chasing perk, does lightweight have a place at all?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I knifed someone mid air by accident once, trying to reload. It was maybe the best feeling in the world. As infiltrator, I have that shockwave melee skill. If someone is say, repairing Gen, I'll throw a bomb out, and knife them into it. Works like a loving charm.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have to get back into this game. Capture the Flag is so much fun, especially when you're a capper, have the flag (and half the enemy team on your rear end) and in your head it's all "gently caress gently caress poo poo MUST GO FASTER gently caress". I've never had adreniline rushes quite like a Tribes one.

If I really like the soldier with the spinfuzor and thumper, what other classes/loadouts should I try? I'm a big fan of the leading and explosions type of fight, where you're both trying to know what the other guy will be doing three steps ahead.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

treat posted:

So what's the opinion on lightweight? Is ego still the default chasing perk, does lightweight have a place at all?

It's not terrible, but I think that it's still finding its niche. I haven't seen anyone using it to do something that can't be done with ego. I'd consider it a low-priority buy. Compare that to Rage, which Sentinels are pairing with the Phase Rifle to become horrifying click machines.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

treat posted:

I only use Lightweight on my PTH Crash loadout. It's good for that, at least.

E: my crash loadout is only ever used after the enemy has my flag.

bartkusa fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Motion sensors make attacking your gen a lost cause. Seriously, eventually people just give up. At 70% I'd pick that poo poo up ASAP.

• Locked thread