Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

qnqnx posted:

You can change class (and loadouts) without dying in the inventory stations. If they're working, that's it.

Or if you use a supply drop (default "4").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Or if you use a supply drop (default "4").

If you do this, be sure to drop one near your HOF / Doombringer on the flagstand, if you've got one. He will love you for it. You can repair damaged supply drops as well.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

qnqnx posted:

You can change class (and loadouts) without dying in the inventory stations. If they're working, that's it.
EDIT: Oh wait I'm dumb. Of course, Can't visit the inventory station when the generator is down :shepicide: And can't supply drop indoors. But still, damnit I wish there was a way to adjust your placed deployables. Two suicides and respawns is often faster than visiting the nearest functioning inventory, then class switching back anyways.

Worse when your first item was put in a good spot, but it's your second item you wish wasn't there. Okay, if you put down a new deployable then... It gets rid of the first item you liked, still leaving the one in the useless spot. It's just faster to start from scratch than it is to try and work around the deploy limits.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 3, 2012

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
I downloaded the game from the Tribes site and have been playing it for two days. My buddy told me about the steam starter package and definitely want in on that. Do I need to re-DL the game and make a new login? That'd be a pain.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Matty D posted:

I downloaded the game from the Tribes site and have been playing it for two days. My buddy told me about the steam starter package and definitely want in on that. Do I need to re-DL the game and make a new login? That'd be a pain.

I believe you have to re-DL, but you can use the same login. nevermind, that dude rules vvv

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 3, 2012

Toanek
Feb 21, 2008

It's a fiesta of personal triumph!

Matty D posted:

no, just add '-steam' to your launch options on hirez install

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Toanek posted:

no, just add '-steam' to your launch options on hirez install

And if you want to bring an existing Tribes install completely into the warm loving embrace of Steam, you can do that without re-downloading everything... just copy the files over. Details in this subthread (specifically the posts by azuvatar and and Ride-My-Rocket): http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=28447966#item_28447966

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Got it working. Had to move it to my other hard drive. I have no idea HOW that fixed it but it did.

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?
I downloaded through Steam initially because I thought it'd help me avoid the nightmare that is the HiRez patcher. Sure man, go ahead and tie up all of my bandwidth for the duration of a download I didn't start and don't bother telling me about it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Rixen posted:

I downloaded through Steam initially because I thought it'd help me avoid the nightmare that is the HiRez patcher. Sure man, go ahead and tie up all of my bandwidth for the duration of a download I didn't start and don't bother telling me about it.

Is your Steam install on the same drive as your OS? If not it may not work and just sorta hang on a loading screen for anyonline match.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I keep hearing people say the Saber Launcher is poo poo and useless, but I cannot for the life of me avoid the missiles when I'm in a Shrike. Some of the most fun I've had in this game was zooming around and dive bombing with a Shrike when I was on the <8 matches. Now that I'm in the regular matches, there are Doombringers everywhere and I can't even get the Shrike off the ground without getting raped by a hundred missiles.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I keep hearing people say the Saber Launcher is poo poo and useless, but I cannot for the life of me avoid the missiles when I'm in a Shrike. Some of the most fun I've had in this game was zooming around and dive bombing with a Shrike when I was on the <8 matches. Now that I'm in the regular matches, there are Doombringers everywhere and I can't even get the Shrike off the ground without getting raped by a hundred missiles.
I guess it's down to luck, bad luck. Usually whenever I fire my Doom Missile at a Shrike they just sort of avoid it purely on accident. Fly past something it will collide on, fly so long the missile detonates before it reaches them, etc.

There was however, one GLORIOUS moment. I fired four goddamned Missiles in a row on a Shrike, none of them were hitting it... Then, suddenly. All four goddamned missiles converged on it at once. Causing a "What the **** was that!?" reaction. "Four missiles. they took so long to reach you that all of them caught up at once."

Now, a shrike actually harassing a base on a map without lots of scenery for missiles to hit instead? I can see a missile actually closing the distance. But I keep firing them from super long range hoping for a lucky shot (and not getting it), or firing them when the Shrike is within spitting distance of the Flagstand and the missile still never touching them majority of the time.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That's a combination thing. Because the game was just recently released on Steam, a lot of new players don't realize how useless the Saber launcher is. Right now there are a lot of offensive doombringers who sit around waiting for their saber launcher to lock on. You also probably do not yet know how to properly pilot to avoid missiles. If you want practice against a lot of terrible new players who love to stand on hills with a saber launcher, play the air combat servers. They are free shrikes and somehow manage to get populated by 90% terrible players who don't want to play with shrikes.

To avoid missiles though you should stick to about 3m off the ground. Even if you never intentionally dodge missiles you'll avoid a lot just by flying through valleys. Once you get more used to the controls and speed of the missiles you'll get the hang of when to dodge and where to go to hide.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Is thrust basically mandatory for a PF capper? I'm having trouble obtaining speeds over 200.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Are you nitron-boosting and discjumping?

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Yes.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hey Pseudophile, you ought to accept my Steam friend request.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Matty D posted:

Is thrust basically mandatory for a PF capper? I'm having trouble obtaining speeds over 200.
Do you have egocentric? Is your Pathfinder armor fully upgraded so you have the mass reduction?
Even without thrust, 2 nitrons and a disc should put you at 280 at least. Thrust is a major upgrade though, the energy pack is basically useless.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Pistol on sale, WHOO! 60% off! Time for some wait... Sparrow... Technician pistol :doh: So cheap at 14k Experience I'd never throw Gold at it unless I had nothing else to spend it on. (Hmm, what would be a good thing to replace my Advanced Repair tool with? I know! a Tiny hitscan pistol! Not like I have an awesome SMG, or a kickass Thumper to unlock or anything.) Just assume unless I ever mention it again, all of my Sales are complete jokes as ever. Which will probably cut my post rate on this thread in half.

EDIT: Either Thrust pack was on sale the first day I started playing, or I just threw gold at it on principle because that's the only thing I've bought with gold so far. And I suck at the "capping/Chasing" end of Pathfinding.

Muey
Sep 21, 2006

SPARKLE POWER

Matty D posted:

It is not mandatory for a capper (is mandatory for a chaser/lof though). It will help you jump-start some routes faster, but that's it. If you have trouble reaching speeds, make sure you have all the armor upgrades as noted above and go look up some cap route videos on youtube for a start. Also learn good energy management, main thing being to not jet/"break" while on your downward arc - It doesn't slow you down in T:A like in past tribes games, but it does stop you from accelerating further.

If you are just starting out, I'd personally save my EXP and not upgrade the epack on the PF at all, because the difference is so marginal - something like 6.5 seconds with fully upgraded pack vs 7.5 seconds with thrust pack for a full charge.

You don't recharge any energy while using your jetpack in T:A, meaning the recharge pack doesn't work as a tool to extend your total energy pool, unlike previous Tribes games. Because the benefits of it are thus relatively tiny, you're much better off going for the thrust pack, which will massively increases your versatility as a player once you get a hang on how to use it.

Muey fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 3, 2012

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
One thing I've noticed while on noobie island is that there's usually one or two players who are rank 30+ who stack on a single team making it a complete stomp. Does this die out as you rank up or are games usually always one sided?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Skill progresses pretty quickly but even given that, platinum is better than gold, is better than silver is better than bronze. When it happen early on it is awful since it just seems like some kind of word from on high to kill off the new players. Later on it will be more reasonable.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Azzents posted:

One thing I've noticed while on noobie island is that there's usually one or two players who are rank 30+ who stack on a single team making it a complete stomp. Does this die out as you rank up or are games usually always one sided?

Stacking is very popular in this game since if you join a team with a bunch of bronzes and silvers, any role you don't personally fill will probably not be filled at all. Games are less stacked when there are a lot of golds and platinums in a match though.

trw
Dec 24, 2003
I really really wish Hi-Rez would have implemented a better system that would make you play with people close to you in rankings.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I am generally having fun with this game but I have to say, Doombringer is a complete piece of poo poo. I get a chaingun that takes seven seconds to spin up and makes my entire screen shake, if someone damages me at all while I'm firing I'm guaranteed never to hit anything. I have missiles that either fail to lock on, get shot down, or slam into scenery. And what the gently caress am I going to do with these lovely HE grenades when people are flying around spewing out deadly disco lasers? The only worthwhile thing about this class is the high HP and forcefields, which encourages you to play in the most boring way possible, by planting yourself on the flag like a turret. I've also noticed that when I have to fight one as a different class, they tend to get owned.

Should I just stick to the cool classes? Sometimes I forget that "Doombringer" is just Tribes-speak for "man-shaped turret" and I end up frustrated.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I survive by having a sixth sense of thinking in three dimensions. I know the map, I know the geometry the missile will collide with, I know its pathing (and it's broke), I can sometimes park behind a tiny rock or thin tree trunk to protect myself.

..but that was before this "use bullet weapons or die" patch

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Buck Turgidson posted:

I am generally having fun with this game but I have to say, Doombringer is a complete piece of poo poo. I get a chaingun that takes seven seconds to spin up and makes my entire screen shake, if someone damages me at all while I'm firing I'm guaranteed never to hit anything. I have missiles that either fail to lock on, get shot down, or slam into scenery. And what the gently caress am I going to do with these lovely HE grenades when people are flying around spewing out deadly disco lasers? The only worthwhile thing about this class is the high HP and forcefields, which encourages you to play in the most boring way possible, by planting yourself on the flag like a turret. I've also noticed that when I have to fight one as a different class, they tend to get owned.

Should I just stick to the cool classes? Sometimes I forget that "Doombringer" is just Tribes-speak for "man-shaped turret" and I end up frustrated.

The chaingun is super powerful and nothing to complain about, but there are faster classes with primaries about as powerful and better secondaries and packs, so if you want to do something besides bodyguard the flag then yes, play a different class. However if you don't have anyone on your own flag stand your team will probably lose, it's the most important line of defense.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

treat posted:

I've been going over this, but I still can't seem to get shadows back. I'm really just looking for an .ini to copy because, you see, I'm a piece of poo poo.

What I really need to know is which .ini I'm supposed to be loving about in. I've got Ascend installed to D: with it's own tribes.ini, but tribes.ini's evil twin is residing on C: as well, supposedly because UE3 has no idea what the gently caress god damnit who designed this trash.

Your ini will be in your documents. DynamicShadows=True is what you want.

Or as you said you want an ini to copy.

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/02/tribes-ascend-tribesini-graphics.html

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
I just loaded up Tribes for my first two matches last night. Is there anything specific I should be spending my 800 gold on?

Also, I realize this is the Tribes thread, so there's probably bias, but has anyone here played Blacklight? Are there any thoughts on which might be a better use of my limited gaming time? I don't have any particular requirements, and I suck at, but enjoy the skiing element of Tribes, I was just curious as to what people thought of the two.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm at the point where most of my matches end up with high-rankers who are waaay better at Tribes' combat than I am. For reference, the most Quake-ish FPS I've played "competitively" is TF2.

Apples and oranges at the core, but I think it's fair to say that getting stomped by pubstars/stacking is way more demoralizing in Tribes than Blacklight; so I hit Blacklight more often now than I play Tribes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

PapFinn posted:

I just loaded up Tribes for my first two matches last night. Is there anything specific I should be spending my 800 gold on?

Also, I realize this is the Tribes thread, so there's probably bias, but has anyone here played Blacklight? Are there any thoughts on which might be a better use of my limited gaming time? I don't have any particular requirements, and I suck at, but enjoy the skiing element of Tribes, I was just curious as to what people thought of the two.

It's generally suggested to just save your gold for a daily deal you want unless you only play a few selected classes and specifically need something.

As for Blacklight, it's pretty good and I recommend you try it. It's a completely different style of FPS though. Tribes is open maps and more like to old style PC FPS games, Quake, UT and of course the original 2 Tribes games while Blacklight is more Counter Strike/Cod with tight maps, flanking etc.

From what I've played of Blacklight so far, I prefer Tribes overall but that might just because there hasn't been a game like Tribes in quite some time and despite its shortcomings, still feels fresh. I'd suggest just downloading BL:R and giving it a go yourself.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Buck Turgidson posted:

Sorry man, don't know what to tell you. Doombringer just sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekM8H9qBJI

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

Of all the classes, the Doombringer is the one that requires the most (exp) investment if you want an enjoyable experience. Doombringer is generally a defensive class, like you said, a man-shaped turret. Doombringers are all about keeping the flag/base on lockdown. His Saber Launcher is more useful as an early detection system than anything, I swapped mine for the Titan (42k exp), which allows you to dumb-fire the missiles. His Chain-Cannon (18k exp) sidegrade also has less screen-shake and less range falloff, in exchange for a barely noticeable slower fire-rate.

If you want to pony up the exp, the Heavy Bolt Launcher (42k exp) opens up more offensive possibilities. You can also wreak havoc with the Landmines (75k exp), to be honest they should be your first purchase. Sometimes I'll get Saftey Third/Quick-Draw with Heavy Bolt/Titan and trash the enemy base. It's basically like playing a fatter Soldier. This is especially great on Temple Ruins. Hide a call-in invo somewhere and just do drive-bys, laying mines and forcefields all around their flag stand.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 3, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Double XP from the 4th - 8th just announced.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wadjamaloo posted:

Sorry man, don't know what to tell you. Doombringer just sucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekM8H9qBJI
I watch this and doe the first minute I think, Why isn't anyone shooting at him!? Did all the other heavies forget they have guns? I saw a more solid enemy "defense" at MY flagstand last time I was playing Doom on that map. Usually with more enemies on screen at once.

I'm proud of that brave little infiltrator though. "Oh my god this Doombringer is killing all the bad players! I have a... Rhino... poo poo... BLOOOOOD EAGLES! AAAAA oh hey I killed hi-BLARG"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

People are shooting at him, they are just using projectile weapons and don't stand a chance because they don't know any better.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
blargh, I had a 38/3 W/L ratio, then I ranked up to level 8 and suddenly as opposed to carrying teams I suck balls and get slaughtered by shrikes and actual base defenses :(

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Wadjamaloo posted:

People are shooting at him, they are just using projectile weapons and don't stand a chance because they don't know any better.

Yeah definitely this. I'm a pretty decent shot with a spinfusor/thumper, and regularly pick up MAs, reflex shots, and long-shots when both myself and the target are moving in different directions, and I really can't see how I'd kill him without resorting to plinking away at him with a bullet weapon. Maybe I could disc-snipe him while he's engaged with other folks, or pounce after he used up all his energy, but it would take far too long.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
really the only way to kill a good doombringer without getting your poo poo wrecked is to catch him by surprise and be accurate with your projectiles, otherwise you're gonna be full of holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
That video is of a Really Good doombringer playing on a kiddie pool server. It's not exactly typical (the chaingun is still ace though).

• Locked thread