Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

LaserWash posted:

Looking for a good place for Thursday night's semifinal for the euro cup in Munich for me and my frau.

I've been told that the Chinese tower will be rolling out some large screens, but don't see how that is possible. Also heard augustiner Keller east of the isar will be showing. Any other good local suggestions? Prefer near marienplatz as I'm staying two blocks from there.

You can also go to the public viewing at Olympiastadion, you can buy tickets at the Rathaus (city hall at marienplatz) at the Muenchenticket desk. If you go to that get there about 1.5hours before because it's general seating and it gets packed quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

Hey German goons,
I'm about to hit Germany up for about 2 months. I'm arriving in Dusseldorf next week and plan on just wandering the country. I'm aiming to hit up Munich and Berlin for sure, as both come highly recommended. Any of you have some suggestions about what's worth seeing / neat events in July and August?

You should also go to Hamburg if you have the time! It's less crowded by foreign tourists than Berlin and Munich (tourists in Hamburg usually come from other parts of Germany), but it's a really cool place, big harbour, not far from the sea, amazing nightlife. Or maybe I'm just biased because I lived there for 5 years and loved it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
"big harbor" is really the only thing Hamburg has going for it but maybe I'm biased because I lived there for 5 years and hated it and moved back to Berlin. :v:

"amazing nightlife" is also a bit rich but I think it's really convenient how almost everything you'd wanna see is located right near the harbor, like the Fischmarkt and Reeperbahn and the Hamburger Berg (amazing if you like table soccer and dive bars). It's a great town and certainly worth a weekend trip. Arrive saturday, take in the sights, cross the Elbe underneath by ways of the Alter Elbtunnel, visit the Dom (if open) and see the Feldstraße Bunker, party somewhere in the Reeperbahn vicinity and get hassled by prostitutes until the Fischmarkt opens (around 5 or 6 AM), grab a Fischbrötchen, sing "Moskau, Moskau", go sleep a couple hours, then visit the museums near Hauptbahnhof, they usually have cool exhibitions.

Pretty parks, too. Planten & Bloomen, Ohlsdorf Friedhof (the biggest cemetery in the whole wide world!) and the one near the Sternwarte, I think it's called Stadtpark or something, it has an artificial lake in it and an observatory (said Sternwarte).

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah Hamburg is nice to spend a few days, the port is cool and I did a boat tour around it, this was my favourite place there http://www.deichtorhallen.de/

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Zwille posted:

"big harbor" is really the only thing Hamburg has going for it but maybe I'm biased because I lived there for 5 years and hated it and moved back to Berlin. :v:

"amazing nightlife" is also a bit rich but I think it's really convenient how almost everything you'd wanna see is located right near the harbor, like the Fischmarkt and Reeperbahn and the Hamburger Berg (amazing if you like table soccer and dive bars). It's a great town and certainly worth a weekend trip. Arrive saturday, take in the sights, cross the Elbe underneath by ways of the Alter Elbtunnel, visit the Dom (if open) and see the Feldstraße Bunker, party somewhere in the Reeperbahn vicinity and get hassled by prostitutes until the Fischmarkt opens (around 5 or 6 AM), grab a Fischbrötchen, sing "Moskau, Moskau", go sleep a couple hours, then visit the museums near Hauptbahnhof, they usually have cool exhibitions.

Pretty parks, too. Planten & Bloomen, Ohlsdorf Friedhof (the biggest cemetery in the whole wide world!) and the one near the Sternwarte, I think it's called Stadtpark or something, it has an artificial lake in it and an observatory (said Sternwarte).

Karolinenviertel/St Pauli is a pretty cool/hip area, full of hipsters and whatnot.

I guess the nightlife in Hamburg really isn't on par with what's in Berlin, but that being said Berlin probably has the best nightlife in Europe outside of MAYBE London or Ibiza.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, Karoviertel is OK. Sternschanze, too. It's just all so loving tiny and feels fenced off. Greatest croques ever at La Familia though, and I always try to grab some fish & chips or squids at Schabi's whenever I'm there.

edit: I guess I'm just used to Berlin's nightlife but I actually don't feel that impressed by it. BUT I haven't been impressed by any other city's nightlife though, so there's that. I mean what's so crazy about Berlin's nightlife? Clubs open through the weekend? Cool I guess. :geno:

Zwille fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 28, 2012

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

After a while I stopped going out so much but the nightlife in Berlin is really something, there's a real diversity in what is on and every weekend the best acts from all around the world are playing somewhere. Or you can just go to a chilled out bar with some friends and shoot the poo poo. Cheap entry cheap drinks a good vibe and lots of stuff happening everywhere, really it is a great place to go out.

Like now I am in Sydney and it's the same dudes playing the same stuff they were 10 years ago, once or twice a year we get a big international coming through or on NYE and then its like $160 a ticket and good luck getting home cause the transport system sucks.

I have a bunch of cousins in Berlin and they rarely went out because being able to see all these great acts from everywhere was nothing special to them. Kids these days :arghfist:

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

I really like this group called extrawelt. They had a couple of previous acts called spirallianz and midimiliz, I waited 7 years for them to come to sydney so I could see them play. They were in a small bar with maybe 100 people, and maybe 50 (at most) on the dancefloor, and the majority of people there had no idea who they were and just came cause it was a regular club night. I saw them at watergate which was not my favourite club but it was jam packed and everyone knew who they were and everyone knew all their tracks and it was just totally different seeing them in that sort of environment.

Or take alec empire/atr, one of my favourite groups when I was a teenager and I never ever thought I would ever get to see them play as they broke up. Then I saw him play at Fusion and later at a club like 2 blocks away from where I lived, and again it was a great night where everyone was really into it and it was just awesome. There's just not a lot of cities in the world where stuff like that goes on, and in Berlin it's going on pretty much every weekend.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zwille posted:

I guess I'm just used to Berlin's nightlife but I actually don't feel that impressed by it. BUT I haven't been impressed by any other city's nightlife though, so there's that. I mean what's so crazy about Berlin's nightlife? Clubs open through the weekend? Cool I guess. :geno:

Yeah. At least you have a nightlife. Living in Rostock, there is absolutely dick around here. There are one and a half clubs worth talking about and being a 28 year old blows because this entire city is made up of 20 year old college kids and 60 year old retirees.

Be thankful, my friend. I would kill to work in Berlin right now.

Edit: Since I already posted, here's a retarded question. Anyone have any recommendations for things to do in Wien? I have four days there next week for vacation (Tuesday to Saturday) and am looking for some nice bars/clubs/cafes/what have you to kill time in between museums, concerts, and general walking around.

It is also my first time in Österreich, so I am not sure of the linguistic problems trying to speak Hochdeutsch if there are any. Should I just go with English?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 4, 2012

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Hows the nightlife in Munich?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I'm curious about that myself. I spent a night there on a layover and it seemed really really quiet. Still, some people abound and pubs open after 2-3 I think. I'd describe it as "gemütlich" on an April night.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

DerDestroyer posted:

Hows the nightlife in Munich?

It's pretty good for what the city is, though not really as developed as Berlin or Hamburg (obviously). You have a few clubs that are into techno and bring in top German acts a few times a month, and there's a fair amount of really mainstream clubs doing their thing. It is quieter though, with the night usually finishing at 5-6 in the morning.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but is there a website for looking for places to live in Munich other than Craigslist, preferably in English? I've got an interview next week about a potential job and I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
wg-gesucht.de
immobilienscout24.de

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Today I was stopped by two German police officers in the train station while helping two other guys buy a train ticket from a machine. I had just bought my ticket to the Frankfurt airport and they asked for help using the machine. The officer asked us all for ID, but I could tell they were more interested in the two other guys who ended up being from Bulgaria. However the officer still wrote down some of my information and radioed it in as well. They wanted to know why I was going to Frankfurt, and then were I was flying to, if I was coming back, etc and eventually they let me go and kept the two other guys.

This has happened once before to me in Germany, and I get that it's because I have a dark complexion. When I take out my US passport it's as if the officers become completely disinterested in where I am headed. The police have always been friendly, but I want to know if there is anything I should know about dealing with police in Germany? I ask because in the US we have to have things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nQ_mFJV4I

Bobo the Red posted:

Hey German goons,
I'm about to hit Germany up for about 2 months. I'm arriving in Dusseldorf next week and plan on just wandering the country. I'm aiming to hit up Munich and Berlin for sure, as both come highly recommended. Any of you have some suggestions about what's worth seeing / neat events in July and August?

The Loveparade in Berlin has permanently been canceled, but I wouldn't be surprised if something has jumped up to fill its place.

rivid fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 23, 2012

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

rivid posted:

The police have always been friendly, but I want to know if there is anything I should know about dealing with police in Germany? I ask because in the US we have to have things like this:

This is anecdotal, but I know a couple of police officers, and have had a couple of run-ins with officers on the job. If there's one quality they all shared, it was that they are pretty good at knowing when you're bullshitting them, and they have very little patience for that. I know it's a pretty dumb move from a juristic stand-point, but honesty and sincerity have gotten me and my friends out of a few situations that could've ended in a night in the tank.
Most of them are human beings and to be treated as such. When I called an officer out on giving me unnecessary attitude, his colleague backed me up, and the guy called the next day to apologize (I could tell that he was being sincere). Obviously, you should always assess the situation. When the poo poo hit the fan, at a demonstration for instance, there's no room for discussion on the finer points of pragmatics.
Also, never ever touch an officer unprompted, but I guess you know that already, coming from the US.

TL;DR: Empathy goes a long way. Don't bullshit them. No reason to be afraid.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

When I called an officer out on giving me unnecessary attitude, his colleague backed me up, and the guy called the next day to apologize (I could tell that he was being sincere).

That's one of the most German things I have heard. :3 I once had an officer checking passports at the airport ask me if I would be coming back to Germany soon, and when I said no he sincerely asked "That's too bad, why not?" I was really taken aback. Still, reading this makes me sad:
http://www.thelocal.de/national/20120327-41589.html

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

rivid posted:

That's one of the most German things I have heard. :3 I once had an officer checking passports at the airport ask me if I would be coming back to Germany soon, and when I said no he sincerely asked "That's too bad, why not?" I was really taken aback. Still, reading this makes me sad:
http://www.thelocal.de/national/20120327-41589.html

Well, after he came back from the doing ID check for a routine traffic inspection, he asked me if I had previously 'had run-ins with the law,' - he flat-out called me a liar when I said no. He continued to interrogate me on my current living situation etc. but would not tell me why. I politely told him that real life isn't a Kafka novel and that that poo poo just doesn't fly. When he called me the next day to apologize, he told me that there was someone who, on top of his birthday shared his full name (including middle name) with me, had somewhat of a record, and neglected to show up to court several times - I basically came up as a false positive.

The second part of your post is indeed sad, but it's a subject that's as complex as it is touchy. I have friends ranging from American ex-pats to an Iranian who grew up in Germany and speaks perfect German with a Northern accent, and who still gets poo poo because she's obviously 'brown,' so at least by proxy, I've noticed how prejudiced, xenophobic and discriminatory some Germans can be.

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Am I legally required to answer all their questions though? If they're going to stop and question me about where I'm going, why, and what for; and I'm racially being targeted, that makes me want to comply with them only as much as I am legally required to. Man... only a week until I'm back home.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

rivid posted:

Today I was stopped by two German police officers in the train station while helping two other guys buy a train ticket from a machine. I had just bought my ticket to the Frankfurt airport and they asked for help using the machine. The officer asked us all for ID, but I could tell they were more interested in the two other guys who ended up being from Bulgaria. However the officer still wrote down some of my information and radioed it in as well. They wanted to know why I was going to Frankfurt, and then were I was flying to, if I was coming back, etc and eventually they let me go and kept the two other guys.

It's a widely known scam to "help" tourists with ticket machines, you buy under priced tickets to tourists and keep the rest, or skim credit cards. Now as gypsies from Bulgaria and Romania are shall we say, heavily represented on these crimes it could just be that. Maybe you talked to the wrong people at the wrong time.
I'd be surprised if the reason was your skin color, but I wasn't there.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Some of those are actually trying to re-sell tickets that haven't been quite used up (like day tickets, for example). I haven't ever encountered any fake tickets or scammers, but maybe I was just lucky.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

rivid posted:

Am I legally required to answer all their questions though? If they're going to stop and question me about where I'm going, why, and what for; and I'm racially being targeted, that makes me want to comply with them only as much as I am legally required to. Man... only a week until I'm back home.

You are legally required to identify yourself, your passport will take care of that. In general terms you only have to provide "Angaben zur Person" (information regarding your person). You don't have to provide "Angaben zur Sache" (any information not required to identify you).

futurebot 2000 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 24, 2012

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
So, I take it it was a good thing that I didn't sell my sbahn day pass to someone that was headed out of the Munich airport a few weeks ago.

We were headed back to the states that morning and the guy asked us if we wanted to sell him our pass as we were leaving the sbahn at the Munich airport headed to the airport... Told him yes and then thought about it... No, not worth the trouble (or potential to get in trouble).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sell him, that's a bit odd if he was planning to resell them. In Berlin they usually just ask for them. Anyway it doesn't seem like there's much potential for trouble in giving one away, except obviously the S-Bahn companies don't like it very much.

Come to think of it though, I only ever saw people asking for them, never once someone selling. Maybe there is something fishy going on or maybe they're just poor dudes who need to get around.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I don't think they can even forbid you the selling of those passes. At least the phrasing they use to 'warn' you sounds pretty much like "It'd be nice if you don't sell/buy those passes, plus there's the chance of getting fakes" and not like "Don't sell the passes, it's against the law" or something.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
It might be against the terms and conditions, but it's not the duty of the Police to enforce them.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Yeah, the cops are after scammers who cheat tourists.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

LaserWash posted:

So, I take it it was a good thing that I didn't sell my sbahn day pass to someone that was headed out of the Munich airport a few weeks ago.

We were headed back to the states that morning and the guy asked us if we wanted to sell him our pass as we were leaving the sbahn at the Munich airport headed to the airport... Told him yes and then thought about it... No, not worth the trouble (or potential to get in trouble).

What trouble? If you don't need them and don'T wanna "get in trouble for selling them" just give them to him or if you want to be a dong just drop them in front of his eyes so he can pick them up, it's not your fault if he picks up your trash right

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

niethan posted:

What trouble? If you don't need them and don'T wanna "get in trouble for selling them" just give them to him or if you want to be a dong just drop them in front of his eyes so he can pick them up, it's not your fault if he picks up your trash right

True, I was just thinking of the $$$ side of this for me. 20-something euros wasn't going to do anything for me anyway since I won't be back in europe until next summer (likely). It doesn't matter to me whether the guy wants a free ticket or not. I had to pay for mine, he should too. :-p

I guess I was thinking of this more in the him paying me side of things because of the way I was approached (him wanting to pay for it vs. just him asking to give it to him). We almost never sign our Länder tickets because they check so little of the time.

Also ticket scalping is a crime in parts of the US, so not being familiar with the laws in Germany, better to play it safe.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 26, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoa, €20 for a used day pass? How much do those cost new?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I'm guessing (hoping) it's a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket. So about €35. Or a Länderticket, that's about the same. It's really not uncommon for people to just ask if they can hop on if you're already on a train or at the station.

Plus that would hardly be "scalping" as you wouldn't sell the ticket for more than you bought it, unless I'm understanding it wrong.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
It was a Länderticket for a family of 5. Either way, it didn't seem worth trying.

The tickets were 29 euros in Bavaria, but I think they went up to 32'ish this year.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Zwille posted:

It's really not uncommon for people to just ask if they can hop on if you're already on a train or at the station.

Plus that would hardly be "scalping" as you wouldn't sell the ticket for more than you bought it, unless I'm understanding it wrong.

I've heard of people making money this way. Literally working in the stations buying and reselling used tickets all day long.

But yeah it used to be very common (maybe just among young people and maybe just in the ex-socialist east) to give away your ticket if it was still valid for the next person or to let people join your travel group without asking for any money at all.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

xf86enodev posted:

I've heard of people making money this way. Literally working in the stations buying and reselling used tickets all day long.

But yeah it used to be very common (maybe just among young people and maybe just in the ex-socialist east) to give away your ticket if it was still valid for the next person or to let people join your travel group without asking for any money at all.

If the police catch you they have the option to charge you with defrauding the government (criminal charges) for selling tickets, so it's not the best idea. They also changed the Bayern ticket so you can buy it for 20euro for one person and then add up to 4 additional people at 2euro each, most likely to stop hangers on.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Landsknecht posted:

They also changed the Bayern ticket so you can buy it for 20euro for one person and then add up to 4 additional people at 2euro each, most likely to stop hangers on.

This will make every dirty hippie train pirate a happy consumer at last!

APimpNamedSlickback
Aug 26, 2007
I'm planning on studying abroad come January at the Free University of Berlin. The program is Fu-Best (http://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/fubest/index.html) Coming from Berkeley, I live in a co-op. I was wondering, are there any co-ops in Berlin? (Co-op stands for cooperative housing, or communal living). I would love to live in one.

Also, is Berlin a fun place to be in the winter? Is there anything any of you guys recommend I should do to prepare?

Thanks

APimpNamedSlickback fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 7, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Take a good look at the sun cause you're not going to see it again for a long time.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

APimpNamedSlickback posted:

I was wondering, are there any co-ops in Berlin? (Co-op stands for cooperative housing, or communal living). I would love to live in one.

You are looking for a wg (wohngemeinschaft):

http://www.fu-berlin.de/sites/unterbringung/optionen/individuell/index.html

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

APimpNamedSlickback posted:

Also, is Berlin a fun place to be in the winter? Is there anything any of you guys recommend I should do to prepare?

A rain coat that will keep you warm. Also, scarves, gloves and things you can layer with (sweaters, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Berlin in the winter is depressing, I'm already dreading it. You'll certainly need some warm clothing, but I'd recommend something where you can take out the lining, as sometimes the winter is just very wet and slightly cold. If you don't have any winter clothing, just buy something here as soon as you think you need it.