Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Magil of Shadow posted:

Late as gently caress, but that would be Cecil, sadly. My favorite lead of the entirety of Final Fantasy, being used to push Sephiroth up as a misunderstood villian. Bah, Golbez and Kain were more misunderstood.

Oh, I remember that one, now. I prefer to think Cecil was projecting or something. Nothing says that the character quotes have to be 100% accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Serifina posted:

Oh, I remember that one, now. I prefer to think Cecil was projecting or something. Nothing says that the character quotes have to be 100% accurate.

More like "Oh god, another rear end in a top hat with baggage. Like all the other dudes I know."

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

I think Cloud is saying this in the Don Corneo meeting because he's talking about Yuffie and Cloud being his captured chickys. He obviously still has a thing for Cloud...

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

Frocobo posted:

I'd also like to defend Sephiroth a bit here, but to really get into why I think he's a good villain would be a lot of spoilery stuff. I do, however, agree that his whole decent into madness in the Nibelheim flashback was handles kinda clumsily.

I was itching to mention what I think are the better aspects of Sephiroth too, but yeah, we'll find out later.

I think part of why the Nibelheim flashback doesn't work so well is that it kind of glosses over what happens in the basement of the mansion. Sephiroth seems to me like someone making himself insane. He doesn't suddenly decide he's an ancient and he has to save his mom Jenova, he realizes the connection between his "mother's" name and the Jenova project and starts to wonder about his actual origins. He then reads book after book after book in the basement, slowly coming to a faulty conclusion through faulty research that he's nevertheless strongly convinced of. He's basically an otherkin literally hiding away in a basement, reading up on wolves and otherkin poo poo on the internet and becoming more certain that he really is a wolf every day, until one day he goes off the rails and mauls someone on the street.

Choray fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 4, 2012

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
VVVVVVV
Because I got a good laugh out of it? Never mind, then.

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 5, 2012

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Choray posted:

I was itching to mention what I think are the better aspects of Sephiroth too, but yeah, we'll find out later.

I think part of why the Nibelheim flashback doesn't work so well is that it kind of glosses over what happens in the basement of the mansion. Sephiroth seems to me like someone making himself insane. He doesn't suddenly decide he's an ancient and he has to save his mom Jenova, he realizes the connection between his "mother's" name and the Jenova project and starts to wonder about his actual origins. He then reads book after book after book in the basement, slowly coming to a faulty conclusion through faulty research that he's nevertheless strongly convinced of. He's basically an otherkin literally hiding away in a basement, reading up on wolves and otherkin poo poo on the internet and becoming more certain that he really is a wolf every day, until one day he goes off the rails and mauls someone on the street.

This is now my personal headcanon. I suppose we're lucky that the PS1 was incapable of rendering realistic fursuits (or horrible rotting corpsesuits, as the case may be).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Highly recommended. (Mild-to-moderate spoilers.)

This (like anything else on Kotaku) is a terrible article and why would you even post this.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Ahh removed scenes how I wish this could have been in-game

Honybee Inn posted:

pre:
 	Please pick a room ♥
 	(Gosh, he’s so weird…
 	But then again, they all are! ♥)
Cloud:
 	This is my first time.
Cloud:
 	I forget if it’s
 	my first time…
Cloud:
 	Looks like it’s in use.
 	☞ Strain to hear
 	☞ Take a peek
Cloud:
 	…Whoa!!
 	We apologize, but the following contains material
 	unsuitable for the general public.
 	Cloud:
        ・・・

---------
This is said to one of the Honeybee Inn workers
Raiding Tifa's closet was just the beginning.

Cloud:
 	Um…
 	☞ Please lend me your panties for a dangerous mission.
 	☞ Isn’t there another way to say it…?
 	☞ It’s really nothing.

Cloud:
 	Uh…
 	☞ I need a present for my girlfriend. Give me your panties…
 	☞ Sounds fake. Isn’t there another way to say it…?
 	☞ I’ve had it with this. Forget I said anything.

Cloud:
 	Um…
 	☞ I need something to remember you by. Give me your panties…
 	☞ No good. I need to think of something else.
 	☞ Forget it.

Cloud:
 	Uh…
 	☞ Actually, I’m into cross-dressing. I want your panties…
 	☞ Oog, something else.
 	☞ I give up.

Cloud:
 	Um…
 	☞ I’m a pervert. I want to smell your panties…
 	☞ No way, something else.
 	☞ This is stupid!

Cloud:
 	Uh…
 	☞ Give me your paaaantiiiiies!!
 	☞ That might be too strong… Something else.
 	☞ I quit.

Cloud:
 	Um…
 	☞ I like you. Won’t you give me your panties?
 	☞ Sorry, isn’t there something else?
 	☞ I’m done.

Cloud:
 	Uh…
 	☞ Your panties, please!!
 	☞ Too serious. Something else.
 	☞ I said I’m done.

Cloud:
 	Um…
 	☞ I’m sick.. haha. I need your panties…
 	☞ Sick with what… something else.
 	☞ I can’t do this.

Cloud:
 	Err…
 	(I need something I can use to
 	cross-dress in order to save Tifa…
 	This Honey Bee look is way too flashy…
 	Err, maybe I can use the panties at least…)
 	Uh…!! Your panties?
------
This next part is the responses, I'm not sure how they map to what Cloud says through.

Huh…?
 	Was there something else?

I just hate stubborn people. ♥
 	☞ Um, those…
 	☞ Nevermind.

What!!

You sure are stubborn!

Oh, I get it…
 	Oo, I’m overcome by your enthusiasm. ♥
 	I’ll do it just for you. ♥

Alright! ♥ Take care! ♥
 	Don’t tell the manager. ♥
 	It’s our little secret! ♥

See you! ♥
 	Bye bye! ♥
 	Received “Sexy Lingerie”!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FillInTheBlank posted:

☞ I need a present for my girlfriend. Give me your panties…

I've heard of terrible last minute gift ideas but this takes the cake.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
People are too hard on Sephiroth. Reading Hojo's lab journals for days at a time would drive anyone mad.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Sharmat posted:

People are too hard on Sephiroth. Reading Hojo's lab journals for days at a time would drive anyone mad.

DAY XX MONTH XX:

Bored. Played cards with headless corpse of Jenova. Her eye-tit has x-ray vision. Cheat. Lost all Gil and 1/3 of research grant.

Made a bologna sandwich.
---

DAY XX MONTH XX:

Bored.

Assistant fell into the beast pen. Third this month. Needed to fill out Shin-Ra healthy and safety assessment form. gently caress the new management.

Made a bologna sandwich. With tomato. Sandwich missing something.
---

DAY XX MONTH XX:

Fed Jenova her usual fish flakes.

Made an abomination against god - the Carratomato went down well with the bologna.
---

DAY XX MONTH XX:

To pervert the natural course of nature, have decided to breed Red XIII and subject, Aeris Aerith Aries A together, because bored.

Success! Failure. Subjects escaped.

Jenova escaped from containment unit, and has gone on killing spree.

Must buy new mop.

Carratomato experiment is a success.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 5, 2012

DonTirri
Oct 5, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

Eh. I got no problem with Seph. It's his fanclub I can't stand.

Which actually applies to the entire game. Having been subjected to fanboy ravings about this game for years has soured me to it. This LP has been helping me to remember why I liked it back then.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Crud! Now I have an image of Hojo singing the Oscar Meyer song in my head. :cry:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

DonTirri posted:

Eh. I got no problem with Seph. It's his fanclub I can't stand.

Doesn't help that he's been hit harder with the OOC bat than any other person in the minds of obsessive fans.

I'll go into more detail later, but the basic reason I like Sephiroth as an adversary is that he's basically what happens when the protagonist of a Lovecraft story survives and goes on to terrorize humanity.

I'd completely forgotten that Jenova spoke during Aeris' death scene. That has...implications.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sientara posted:

Crud! Now I have an image of Hojo singing the Oscar Meyer song in my head. :cry:

I'm trying so hard to make a FF7-specific parody of that jingle, but Jenova is one letter shorter than bologna so it's kind of falling apart. :(

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This (like anything else on Kotaku) is a terrible article and why would you even post this.

I've never seen anything remotely funny or interesting on Kotaku, but that article in particular is embarrassingly bad. That article content is like the kind of post I'd expect to see on the Blizzard Forums.

Edit: And even then people would downvote it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 5, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Sharmat posted:

I'd completely forgotten that Jenova spoke during Aeris' death scene. That has...implications.
For various reasons tangentially related to Cloud being in SOLDIER which will be made even more clear as plot points unfold later, I'm 99% sure no one heard that but him.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Seems pretty straightfoward Jenova wouldn't like a Cetra. But yeah there's other reasons.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Just caught up. Elentor, this LP is absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've read!

In closely related news and bizarre timing, http://www.finalfantasyviipc.com/en just launched. New PC port with achievements and cloud saves (when clearly we need Aeris Saves). Interestingly, the character bios have not been modified at all from what was posted long long ago upthread, right down to the blood types.

I've seen a lot of hate for the original PC port - what exactly made it worse than the PSone version? I only played the PC port way back when.

After seeing Elentor absolutely devastate all the bosses with ease, the 'character booster' sounds like the silliest thing in the world.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

xedo posted:

I've seen a lot of hate for the original PC port - what exactly made it worse than the PSone version? I only played the PC port way back when.

I bought it on PC when it was released and it wasn't until years later I played the PS version. As far as I know the differences were:

PC > PS [slot slowdown, if you're a cheaty bastard]
PC > PS [endless save slots]
PC < PS [midi was crap compared to PS music]
PC < PS [because for god sake stop crashing]
PC < PS [tended to graphically glitch or go out of synch, PS did not, was consistent]

I may have missed things. My point is, the differences I remember weren't really that bad. You'd choose the PS over PC, but I don't see why there'd be hate for PC port.

PoliteMachineGun
Oct 5, 2011

They noticed me!
Covet this, fools!

xedo posted:

After seeing Elentor absolutely devastate all the bosses with ease, the 'character booster' sounds like the silliest thing in the world.

If I'm understanding correctly, they not only didn't fix the localization errors, it's buggy as poo poo. Someone just posted a video of Vincent's model bugging out and kicking Aeris after her death scene, for example. EDIT: beaten

Also now that I'm thinking about it I'm pretty sure there's a thread for the new PC port somewhere in Discussion.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Apart from the horrible music it bothered me to no end that the currently playing dungeon or world map theme would always play from the beginning after a battle while the music in the PS1 version left off from where it stopped.

A retranslation is the one thing that'd make me buy the PC re-release.

Of course that's not very likely or you'd think SE would've mentioned it by now as an actual selling point.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

quote:

Character Booster
Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Oh goody. I always thought FF7 was too hard.

Let me know when you've got a BP, GP, and AP booster in there, SE.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I bought it on PC when it was released and it wasn't until years later I played the PS version. As far as I know the differences were:

PC > PS [slot slowdown, if you're a cheaty bastard]
PC > PS [endless save slots]
PC < PS [midi was crap compared to PS music]
PC < PS [because for god sake stop crashing]
PC < PS [tended to graphically glitch or go out of synch, PS did not, was consistent]

I may have missed things. My point is, the differences I remember weren't really that bad. You'd choose the PS over PC, but I don't see why there'd be hate for PC port.

In a real world if you are a cheaty bastard nothing can be more convenient than savestates. Of course I suppose that isn't an option in the PS One.

The only real real advantage PC have is that it's more moddable. I say "more" because modding is also possible on the PSX, but it's a gigantic pain in the rear end.

xedo posted:

Just caught up. Elentor, this LP is absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've read!

In closely related news and bizarre timing, http://www.finalfantasyviipc.com/en just launched. New PC port with achievements and cloud saves (when clearly we need Aeris Saves). Interestingly, the character bios have not been modified at all from what was posted long long ago upthread, right down to the blood types.

Thank you for your words. The problem with the PC port is that it's one of the buggiest softwares I've ever seen. You need dozens of layers of fan-made patches to get it to work on any Windows. I think even Win 98 had issues with it. The further you move away from Win 98 the more issues you face.

Issues include:

* Very outdated low-quality badly-compressed FMV system that can either (totally randomly) work fine, crash the game, crash your computer, or display FMVs upside down.

* Music in the game is now midi. While this can be an advantage due to soundfonts, the final boss theme is significantly different.

* Compatibility is SO poor that even the official Eidos website linked to fan-made patches to get the game to work. This leads to game crashes that WILL happen and DO need patches to fix (such as the Chocobo Racing crash, etc).

* Other assorted game crashes. Again, completely random and without explanation. A lot of people tend to say the "port is fine" because they lucked out. If you don't, the game will crash to desktop a lot, or even hang your PC.

Hell, last time I played it on Win 7, it straight out hanged my PC. No Ctrl-Alt-Del, no response, no nothing. Just a straight-out hang. Playing from an original copy, and no other game ever does that.

And then there's always the people who'll pop up and say "it never crashed for me therefore it's fine :smug:" after running .exes that install (sometimes literally) dozens of patches made by different fans over the years to fix something that will still crash for hundreds of people no matter what version of Windows they're using.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

What turned me off of the PC port was the permanent O-face on all the sprites. The constant crashes and crappy MIDI versions of the music didn't help its case.

MrsPooky
Jun 25, 2003

by Smythe
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can post this picture. Does anyone else think this adequately describes the pose that Sephiroth is doing? I can almost hear him doing one of those whisper-y "fake crowd" noises.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MrsPooky posted:

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can post this picture. Does anyone else think this adequately describes the pose that Sephiroth is doing? I can almost hear him doing one of those whisper-y "fake crowd" noises.

This is why Sephiroth won those gamefaqs polls every time

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meaty Ore posted:

What turned me off of the PC port was the permanent O-face on all the sprites. The constant crashes and crappy MIDI versions of the music didn't help its case.

drat, I forgot about the O-faces. I always do.

Also, if the FF7 PC re-release sticks to the cinematics they're showing on the official trailer, that means we're getting fake widescreen. The cinematics are simply zoomed in and cut.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
I played the PC version as a teenager and then the PS version a year ago. The PS version was exactly how I remembered it (although, my PS2 console HATES when you have to change disks for anything and refused to load it 99% of the time for some reason.) I think some people like myself are more forgiving of the PC port because: a) we didn't have a frame of reference to compare it to (i.e. not having a Playstation), b) we still enjoyed the game a lot in spite of it being a hot mess, and c) good old-fashioned nostalgia blinders.

It only crashed consistently for me on two occasions: chocobo racing (the one that is required to continue) and the part in North Corel where you fall off the tracks. It was maddening, but I only had to patch it once to get past the chocobo race, then everything ran pretty much okay. I may be misremembering, but I don't ever remember it crashing 'randomly' aside from rarely on an FMV.

The midi music is beyond awful, though.

edit: O-faces? Could someone elaborate? I don't remember anything like that.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
I was just wondering, with people talking about the awful midi port of the music. What system did the PS version use for the music? Did they have their own sample/sound/synth library built into the game or did the PS have its own midi-esque sound library?

I also remember back in the day having one of those soundblasters that supported (the creative compatible) soundfonts and I seem to remember the soundfonts having certain samples relevent to the in game music, namely One Winged Angel.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Elentor posted:

drat, I forgot about the O-faces. I always do.

Also, if the FF7 PC re-release sticks to the cinematics they're showing on the official trailer, that means we're getting fake widescreen. The cinematics are simply zoomed in and cut.

This sounds absolutely awful. The worst part is, I know people are going to shell out money for it, but I don't understand why. After hearing all of this, it makes more sense for them to just remake the damned game, but I guess they're going to milk this PC port first, then release Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core on PC, then they'll do the cell-phone games and poo poo.

Then we'll get a remake and I still probably won't buy it, since at this point, any blinders I had would have been forcibly ripped from my skull. That, and it's not a remake of Final Fantasy V or VI.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MrsPooky posted:

PRAYZE DA LAWD

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Man, I never knew the PC port was a piece of poo poo. Ran fine on my Pentium 200 with Win95! I played in the postage stamp with software rendering and no soundfonts. What's impressive is that I spent hundreds of hours playing the PC version, yet when I hear the music in my head it's always the PSX version.

Speaking of FF7's music, I just saw Moonrise Kingdom yesterday and implore everyone to listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPO7OzGTqs

I'm not going to color anyone's experience with my perspective, I just want to hear what this thread thinks when they hear this.

Haiduc
Oct 26, 2007
How'd you get the scar, tough guy? Eating pineapple?

George posted:

I'm not going to color anyone's experience with my perspective, I just want to hear what this thread thinks when they hear this.

I think you picked the right thread to link that song in.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

George posted:

Speaking of FF7's music, I just saw Moonrise Kingdom yesterday and implore everyone to listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPO7OzGTqs

Color indeed! Maybe even a number!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

George posted:

I don't get it :confused:

I wish the kid didn't talk though.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

simplefish posted:

Color indeed! Maybe even a number!

For some reason when the kid says "Tubular bells" it really stands out to me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Elentor posted:

. The problem with the PC port is that it's one of the buggiest softwares I've ever seen.

The VIII port was even worse!

No poo poo, I had to do an arcane process involving a restart (well everything in 9x required a restart) and then changing monitor resolutions, running the ff7 setup and doing the full test for video/sound, then launching it. There were probably more steps, and every single one was required. Believe me, I tried. A lot.

fun fact: if I launched winamp or any other app which used sound - any app at all - ff7 would fail to run, requiring a restart (and then redoing the nonsensical bullshit to get it going)

Eidos basically defined how not to port with those two. They're garbage ports. If they worked for you flawlessly, great, buy a lottery ticket.

e: in slight fairness to Eidos, ff7 is actually an obnoxious game to emulate. It's early PS1 and it shows - there's a lot of very specific technical things you have to set in an emulator to work. So it's not like the PS1 code was some shining avatar of perfection and Eidos just hosed it up - no, they jsut did a terrible job porting a sloppy codebase. 8 was more technically demanding (and was a more polished piece of PS1 code at least) which demonstrated that, at least.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 6, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The funniest thing about the PC port of VII was how out-of-sync the character models could get when they were supposed to be overlaid on an FMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BafflerMeat
Mar 4, 2012

"I'M INCREDIBLY SUSPICIOUS OF INDIANS"

George posted:

I just started the final dungeon and this is eerily sort of syncing up with it. Could just be all in my head though.

• Locked thread