Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
I whipped up a really basic version of the monster list from the JP wiki for Unchained Blades, put in English names, and sorted the table to facilitate finding animas for the purpose of transferring.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Am1yL7XrKNiydG9FTmY0bTVKa3BhR3ZnMkVJd3lRUmc&output=html

It's incomplete but there's enough information there to be useful. Some things are still untranslated because I haven't encountered them.

I just started chapter 7 today, and my party of Sylvie, Tiana, Fang (spear), and Niko is working a lot better than the trainwreck I thought it'd be. Sylvie gets a steady supply of MP just from getting slapped around in the frontline to cast Hexa-Froster or Spark Bolt religiously. Tiana just nukes entire groups with Sea of Fire, poking with a rapier otherwise. Fang deals his normal insane damage from the back row; his resilience is a bit wasted but the setup is built on offense, not defense. Niko is mainly there for utility: escape, +rares on extraction, +item drop, +gold find, -enemy encounter, and decent all-target spells. Her physical damage isn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Please tell me the chapter 2 followers come back at some point and the cap gets raised from 30.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

You get all your followers and party inventories back in Chapter 4. Your follower limit is increased to 60 too.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

The White Dragon posted:

Huh, cool thing to know. I never woulda guessed. I don't suppose they support online multiplayer?

They don't. It's actually pretty interesting that companies like Nintendo and Sega have tapped the emulation communities as things like virtual console and steam have become popular. Many times the emulators that Sega/Nintendo develop are inferior to the more popular ones that have been around for over a decade now in many cases.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyoru posted:

You get all your followers and party inventories back in Chapter 4. Your follower limit is increased to 60 too.
Thank god. Definitely a huge chapter, been plowing through it all afternoon and still haven't hit the point of combines. The limited inventory is killing me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Thank god. Definitely a huge chapter, been plowing through it all afternoon and still haven't hit the point of combines. The limited inventory is killing me.

That has been my problem as well. Are some gathering materials just for selling? How do you tell, is it just the ones that say "fetch a fair price" like the Blue Gem?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

You could use your low level materials to rank up your Synthesis level. You can make 10 cotton pants for example or use iron ore to make some starter swords. Sell whatever you end up making to recoup costs. There are 3 synthesis categories, item/weapon/armor, which need to be ranked up independently.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gamestop recently changed their release date for Ragnarok Odyssey to 9/11. There's been no word from XSEED or other retailers yet regarding it but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the first to get whiff of RO being pushed back.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hope I don't get too burnt by leaving some of these quests unfinished. Specifically ones that involve collecting materials from particular dungeons (millenium ice I think comes from mining nodes? And then the grass stuff for making the gourmet thing). The game seems to not always give you subsequent quests until you do the prior ones unfortunately.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

I hope I don't get too burnt by leaving some of these quests unfinished. Specifically ones that involve collecting materials from particular dungeons (millenium ice I think comes from mining nodes? And then the grass stuff for making the gourmet thing). The game seems to not always give you subsequent quests until you do the prior ones unfortunately.

I've been doing them in pursuit of grinding/unchaining and it's been pretty easy so far. I synth tons of gathering tools and just go out and run tiles.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Anyone have any good recommendations for RPG's on a android phone? For my personal recommendation I suggest Zenonian 3, its a decent, colorful ARPG. I don't remember much of the story (most of it was played in 5 minute segments on the toilet) but its definitely worth picking up. I got it when it was free, I think I heard mentioned before that they were going to start charging for it, not sure if thats still going on.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
EDIT: Whoops, pressed enter twice.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Spectral Souls is the one I see recommended a lot but I have not touched it personally.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Thanks for the info Rascyc, I checked it out and it seems worth it.

Alright, so I've been playing Bastion a lot for the last day, its a very bare-bones RPG (actually not one at all really) but goddamn am I a sucker for cel-shading. The narration in the game is something I thought would get annoying, but I began to enjoy it after a bit. It was like Morgan Freeman was watching me play over my shoulder, narrating each level. So anyways, the reason I brought this up is because I wanted to suggest to anyone with a DS to play Soma Bringer, one of my favorite games for the DS. It only got a Japanese release but there's a fan translation that is 99.8% complete (I think they're only missing a one or two item descriptions). Anyways the story is about that Soma, the energy that powers all the machines/etc., has become disrupted by these beings that came from another planet and you have to go investigate it, normal bullshit.
The game has a whole shitload of classes to choose from, basically all the normal ones you would expect in any RPG. The battle system is action oriented, and each button is assigned to a certain move you can do (much like how Folklore's control scheme was). You get special abilities, certain 'break' mechanics and all that good stuff. This was, by far, one of my favorite games for the DS and you all should check it out.

There's a pretty decent wiki for it here.

English subbed trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJjVzcZ-KY

Are we allowed to link fan translations?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Konstantin posted:

The Pier Solar cartridge is different from a standard Genesis cartridge, so none of the emulators would support the ROM even if it was dumped. It wouldn't be that difficult to add support, but emulator developers don't want to screw over an indie studio.

Well, so far, no one's successfully dumped it to my knowledge. Conventional dumping methods result in a a 32 kilobyte block repeated over and over again with this message at the end

Pier Solar Bad Dump posted:

Respect our +6 years of hard work, please do not dump, copy | hack this ROM.Please remind that this game was sold without any benefits, do not waste those efforts.Thank you!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Well maybe if they'd give you the option to actually buy and play the game when you don't have a working twenty year old console still sitting around we'd have less of a reason to attempt to dump it!

Not to mention it would look so much better rendered on a PC directly instead of transferred over lovely analog video signal cables.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I revisited the s-video mod and finally got it to work on my Genesis... All I can do is say :quagmire:

Composite:

S-Video:

Composite:

S-Video:

flyboi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 6, 2012

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

flyboi posted:

So I revisited the s-video mod and finally got it to work on my Genesis... All I can do is say :quagmire:

:monocle:

Nice work, it looks very good.

My family had like 4 games for the genesis (one bad Superman game and three Sonics), but we had the most wonderful device/service in Sega Channel. If you wanted to play an RPG, it would save your data no problem, EXCEPT if you weren't done playing it by the time when the game roster would change. When that happened, all save data was wiped. You had to leave the game on so the game would stay stored :)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yeah Sega Channel was kinda silly. As a test I tried capturing the S-Video. Not sure where the noise comes from, but it's analog so whatever. Still sexy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0n8X87DHME

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey PSP/Vita owners/JRPG fans:

Atlus is having a massive sale on the US store. Persona 3 Portable is $10, Persona 2 $15, and a lot of stuff like Yggdra Union as low as $5.

I should check out Yggdra Union an Riviera for that cheap.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Even though I've played P3 FES, It's awfully tempting to pick it up for only $10. And these other games are hard to pass up at $5 too. Any full-length game for $5 is hard to pass up, even if it didn't get top scores or anything.

I'm busy enough with Secret World as it is but... I'm planning ahead. ... Right?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

softcorps posted:

I'm busy enough with Secret World as it is but... I'm planning ahead. ... Right?

Crimson Gem Saga is decent as well. Its got some good graphics, its menu based combat (I think theres some cool break/block things thrown in there too, its been awhile since I've played it). The story is just bleh (someone steals all the crystals or something) but its worth playing, if theres nothing good around.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

casual poster posted:

Crimson Gem Saga is decent as well. Its got some good graphics, its menu based combat (I think theres some cool break/block things thrown in there too, its been awhile since I've played it). The story is just bleh (someone steals all the crystals or something) but its worth playing, if theres nothing good around.

I picked it up for those reasons and I liked the art style I saw when doing a little research for it. Hell, even if I hate it I've spent more on things that sucked, 7 bucks is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Well, poo poo. Guess I'm buying Persona 2 this month after all.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Unchained Blades keeps distracting me from whatever else I'm playing. I'll put in a few hours each week and get just a little farther each time. I beat Chapter 1 last night and had zero trouble with the boss at level 21. Granted, I went in over-prepared given all the talk about how lovely he was. I just stacked medicine pills (like 45 or so) to heal my way up the Ark, saved everyone's bursts (had Hector's level 2) for the second phase and just went apeshit. Used all the elemental bombs with Lapis/Mari when they weren't healing. Pretty short battle all told.

Now I'm in Chapter 2 and just beat the first Judgement battle. I get the feeling it's going to be a much shorter chapter with the way I'm obtaining gear and money.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Is the first White Knight Chronicles worth playing? It came free when I bought the 2nd one. I remember it getting some really bad reviews. I was thinking that if I really liked the 2nd, I'd try out the first, but is there any story continuity or anything?

I remember a few years ago, when WKC2 was first being mentioned, they had plans to make it so that you had to have a WKC1 clear save before you could start the 2nd. Seemed like a horrible idea.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The original WKC is terrible, but the updated version included with the second game is much better (enemies no longer attack you from the other end of the levels, and your allies actually follow you instead of getting stuck all the time). I'd suggest playing through it. There's a lot to the game, and the second one just puts you straight into the action at Level 30.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

casual poster posted:

Is the first White Knight Chronicles worth playing? It came free when I bought the 2nd one. I remember it getting some really bad reviews. I was thinking that if I really liked the 2nd, I'd try out the first, but is there any story continuity or anything?

I remember a few years ago, when WKC2 was first being mentioned, they had plans to make it so that you had to have a WKC1 clear save before you could start the 2nd. Seemed like a horrible idea.

It's not great, but it's not terrible either. It has a charm to it and the online is really where the game is, but unfortunately you really have to play the story to be viable online. I like it for what it was but it can be tedious at times, combat pacing is a bit off and characters are kinda... meh. I love the Ark designs though, those are pretty sweet.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
http://andriasang.com/con1v6/trademark_ogre_battle/

Some rumors about an original Ogre Battle remake. Just rumors based on trademarks so not worth much but still pretty dreamy to imagine.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Rascyc posted:

http://andriasang.com/con1v6/trademark_ogre_battle/

Some rumors about an original Ogre Battle remake. Just rumors based on trademarks so not worth much but still pretty dreamy to imagine.

Can you imagine? An Ogre Battle that runs as fast as Tactics Ogre PSP? Sigh.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Speaking of White Knight Chronicles 2, Newegg has it for $15.99 right now with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879274029

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Man, at that price I almost feel like giving it another go, but I dunno. I actually do like the setting but the battle mechanics start off really slow and I wasn't a fan of all your characters basicially being blank slates.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For some reason I always thought WKC was a sort of mechanized Phantasy Star Online, thus the single player stuff is pretty much as shallow as it gets in order to support multiplayer.

Perhaps I misunderstood though?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The trouble is that the multiplayer stuff is also very shallow. The whole game's shallow in general - mechanics are poorly explained and don't really do anything, it's tremendously dull once you get into the latter half of the game as many enemies suddenly become a real chore to kill, and it really can be very, very much a grind, with some of the postgame stuff requiring hours of speedrunning the same few missions again and again and again to build up necessarily guild rank points. Which is a shame, because I'd love to just run around with a level 12 georama architecting the hell out of my own personal village. It's like the Sims Lite.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Rainbow Moon is out on PSN now, has anyone tried it? I get the impression it might be very Disgaea-like.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Levantine posted:

Rainbow Moon is out on PSN now, has anyone tried it? I get the impression it might be very Disgaea-like.

I think it's the opposite actually. It looks almost like an old 2D tile-based ARPG and the only thing that is SRPG about it are how different attacks/skills affect tiles in certain ways/patterns/etc. That's just my impression from gameplay videos though, if someone confirms my proposition I will probably actually buy it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Emalde posted:

I think it's the opposite actually. It looks almost like an old 2D tile-based ARPG and the only thing that is SRPG about it are how different attacks/skills affect tiles in certain ways/patterns/etc. That's just my impression from gameplay videos though, if someone confirms my proposition I will probably actually buy it.

I may take the plunge at only 15 dollars but I was reading it already has tons of DLC? I haven't read any reviews so that's the only thing that's keeping me from biting.

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

Levantine posted:

I may take the plunge at only 15 dollars but I was reading it already has tons of DLC? I haven't read any reviews so that's the only thing that's keeping me from biting.
It's just "spend a dollar for free gold and levels" DLC.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Both Ys games are on sale on Steam, Oath at $5 and Origin at $12.

I already own Oath (and finished it), so I'm curious what impressions are like for Origin. More of the same? Does it do anything better/worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Primoman posted:

Both Ys games are on sale on Steam, Oath at $5 and Origin at $12.

I already own Oath (and finished it), so I'm curious what impressions are like for Origin. More of the same? Does it do anything better/worse?

The main difference is it has three playable characters. Same dungeons, mostly same bosses, different perspectives on the same storyline, but three very different playstyles. If you liked Oath chances are pretty good you will like Origin.