Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
The dialling computer is something well worth discussing. We all know that it's cobbled together and not as good as using a DHD.. is this mainly because the dialling computer effectively is manually spinning the gate, rather than when we see a DHD dialling, which is much quicker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It's more that there's tons of data coming in from the Stargate to the DHD at any time, and the SGC computer just sort of stumbled into the correct way to enter a single chevron at a time. They ignore most of the other data (including sometimes-vital safety bits) because generally they just don't know what each part means and they can't parse the safety signals. Also apparently DHDs have some crazy energy source in them that nobody ever mentions again because they can do 'for free' what costs the SGC millions or billions in energy consumed.

I don't know if they've gone into any more detail than that outside the show itself.

Also, on the subject of Christopher Judge, apparently he's a crazy prankster sort that likes to barge into people's trailers while they're sleeping and jump onto them in bed while yelling at the top of his lungs. I'm sure he'd be great fun at conventions if the fans haven't broken him yet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I would imagine that gets tiresome quite rapidly when you're working to a TV filming schedule.

In fact I'd say that's quite prickish.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
We know the DHD does "firmware updates", including stellar drift calculations and the like. I actually liked the idea that the SGC machine is ignoring a bunch of data - it lends a lot of weight to the "humanity is in way over its head" theme that was the first few seasons. It's not like it's all that big of a deal in general - they were designed to be dialed manually in an emergency, much like SGC does.

They've used the "wormhole doesn't want to close" aspect a few times. The puddle jumper with the water world was one (though I think they claimed that was the energy in the water, wasn't it?), and at least once in Universe they held the gate open by sticking a fist into it.

Apparently the Ancients just never figured on wormholes and sunspots, though, in all that self-correcting stuff. Or that time they went through a sun and nearly destroyed it - or was that a result of using the MacGuyver'd DHD?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Mortanis posted:

We know the DHD does "firmware updates", including stellar drift calculations and the like. I actually liked the idea that the SGC machine is ignoring a bunch of data - it lends a lot of weight to the "humanity is in way over its head" theme that was the first few seasons. It's not like it's all that big of a deal in general - they were designed to be dialed manually in an emergency, much like SGC does.

Here's a question, how the hell would you manually dial a Pegasus Galaxy Stargate if you needed to?

quote:

They've used the "wormhole doesn't want to close" aspect a few times. The puddle jumper with the water world was one (though I think they claimed that was the energy in the water, wasn't it?), and at least once in Universe they held the gate open by sticking a fist into it.

Yeah the water planet was due to the energy in the water, and they've said a few times that a gate wont close automatically (at least until the 38 minutes is up) so long as something is going through it (radio signal, someone's hand etc), like when Jack held it open from the SGC's end in Shades Of Grey to stop Maybourne's chums from dialing elsewhere.

quote:

Apparently the Ancients just never figured on wormholes and sunspots, though, in all that self-correcting stuff. Or that time they went through a sun and nearly destroyed it - or was that a result of using the MacGuyver'd DHD?

The whole gate-through-the-sun deal in Red Sky was due to Carter using their dialing computer to override safety systems that were preventing them from establishing a lock.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Mortanis posted:

Those were both explicitly stated to be because of the dialing computer, I think.

Why they never stole a DHD from a barren planet, I don't know.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Syka posted:

Those were both explicitly stated to be because of the dialing computer, I think.

Why they never stole a DHD from a barren planet, I don't know.

I think each DHD worked exclusively with it's specific Stargate, or at least only on a specific planet since they could use the Russian's DHD at one point.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mortanis posted:

That's all down to the dialling computer. The only time it happens in Atlantis is down to Rodney loving with the DHD programming.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think each DHD worked exclusively with it's specific Stargate, or at least only on a specific planet since they could use the Russian's DHD at one point.

Nah, the gate bridge means they figured out a way around that. I think by that point in the show they had decided that using their own dialing computer was for some reason more valuable than jacking one and reprogramming it. Or the writers were super lazy by that point, take your pick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was Walter. He wanted job security so he kept sabotaging any efforts to bring a new DHD to Earth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Yeah but they also removed the boobs :(

I bought an old season 1 box set off a friend just to keep those glorious space egyptian boobs, and Apophis' hilarious expression of approval.

As for the DHD, I think it was once mentioned that the SGC still uses the dialing computer because even though they have an imperfect understanding of the stargate dialing system, they still know a lot more about their computer than they do about the DHDs, which are pretty much black boxes outside of what little they've deciphered of Ancient crystal computer technology.

And the dialing computer does come in handy occasionally, like when Sam wrote a faster dialing program to lock out Anubis during his siege with the anti-gate weapon, or when they wrote that virus that Ba'al hosed with and accidentally shut down the entire gate network except for Earth's gate (not using a DHD, natch).

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Or it's because the Stargate program is run by the Department of Defense :v:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
It's easier to implement their security system with the existing system than implement it by hijacking the signal from a DHD. Later on they had no problem reprogramming DHDs so that's not true either.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WFGuy posted:

It's more that there's tons of data coming in from the Stargate to the DHD at any time, and the SGC computer just sort of stumbled into the correct way to enter a single chevron at a time.

They still have to mechanically spin the gate but at least they figured out how to automatically cycle the lock mechanism :haw:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Instant Sunrise posted:

Or it's because the Stargate program is run by the Department of Defense :v:

Do you mean the same Department of Defense that has a loving space shuttle program?

:colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

truth masseuse posted:

Do you mean the same Department of Defense that has a loving space shuttle program?

Maybe I'm missing the joke but the reason the space shuttle sucked so much dick was that the DoD was involved and wanted it to be a satellite kidnapper and a space truck in addition to, you know, being a shuttle.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

IRQ posted:

Maybe I'm missing the joke but the reason the space shuttle sucked so much dick was that the DoD was involved and wanted it to be a satellite kidnapper and a space truck in addition to, you know, being a shuttle.

These shuttles, are they well armed?

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I guess you got me there. I'll need to edit my bad attempt at some humor. Because honestly, nothing good ever came out of the space shuttle program. Nothing. :circlefap:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

truth masseuse posted:

They are a formidable craft.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

IRQ posted:

That picture is pretty recent (June 2012), it was all over the news because the DoD or whoever actually has their own secret shuttle program. That's not the same type of shuttle that was just recently retired.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Haywood Japwnme posted:

That picture is pretty recent (June 2012), it was all over the news because the DoD or whoever actually has their own secret shuttle program. That's not the same type of shuttle that was just recently retired.

Air Force runs it. Not sure what private contractors are also involved. Off the top of my head probably Northrop Grumman, Boeing, or Raytheon. Regardless, it falls under the DoD. Was orbiting earth for months before it was spotted by amateur astronomers if I recall correctly. Makes one wonder what other neat stuff the DoD might have its hand in.

e: Also, it is entirely unmanned. So, ya know, Pakistan, you might want to reconsider your position with harboring Islamic extremists.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 6, 2012

James R
Dec 22, 2006

truth masseuse posted:

Air Force runs it. Not sure what private contractors are also involved. Off the top of my head probably Northrop Grumman, Boeing, or Raytheon. Regardless, it falls under the DoD. Was orbiting earth for months before it was spotting by amateur astronomers if I recall correctly. Makes one wonder what other neat stuff the DoD might have its hand in.

There really is a Stargate. Remember the episode with Wormhole X-Treme? Meta!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

James R posted:

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

James R posted:

Haywood Japwnme posted:

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

I must verify this with my sources.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Haywood Japwnme posted:

Well I'm dumb, or at least uninformed. I had not heard about that. But it doesn't surprise me.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WFGuy posted:

It's more that there's tons of data coming in from the Stargate to the DHD at any time, and the SGC computer just sort of stumbled into the correct way to enter a single chevron at a time. They ignore most of the other data (including sometimes-vital safety bits) because generally they just don't know what each part means and they can't parse the safety signals. Also apparently DHDs have some crazy energy source in them that nobody ever mentions again because they can do 'for free' what costs the SGC millions or billions in energy consumed.

I don't know if they've gone into any more detail than that outside the show itself.

I assume that a properly managed Stargate actually requires very little power to function. The DHD delicately manages the gate in a way that a wormhole is easily established. Using a DHD is like opening a doorway, manual dialing is like smashing through a wall.

quote:

Also, on the subject of Christopher Judge, apparently he's a crazy prankster sort that likes to barge into people's trailers while they're sleeping and jump onto them in bed while yelling at the top of his lungs. I'm sure he'd be great fun at conventions if the fans haven't broken him yet.

Already broken, look up the convention video of him learning what furries are.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

Already broken, look up the convention video of him learning what furries are.
That's right ladies and gentlemen, you've offended Christopher Judge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTnhO5b8zk

WHATTT???

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

James R posted:

That's right ladies and gentlemen, you've offended Christopher Judge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aTnhO5b8zk

WHATTT???

Christopher Judge rules

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

IRQ posted:

:lol: What? The shuttle "sucked so much dick"? Hahahahahhahahahahahaha

Man, we need people like you on our milestone planning meetings. Seriously, opinions like this are the reason why we can't have the shuttle. To say nothing of the travesty of Constellation being killed.

EDIT:

I'm not joking by the way, public opinion of "NASA being a waste of money" amazes me when the total budget of NASA is literally nothing, like $19B. It's still a favorite target of people and politicians as a "place to cut waste" though. I can't tell you how many times politicians want to cut a specific program just to say they cut a *million* here or there. Yeah, that's really gonna help the trillions of deficit we have, assholes.

We really *could* use more anti-space opinions to understand what we can do better to get people to understand that there's a lot NASA does beyond simple academic interest.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 6, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

JetsGuy posted:

Man, we need people like you on our milestone planning meetings. Seriously, opinions like this are the reason why we can't have the shuttle. To say nothing of the travesty of Constellation being killed.

EDIT:

I'm not joking by the way, public opinion of "NASA being a waste of money" amazes me when the total budget of NASA is literally nothing, like $19B. It's still a favorite target of people and politicians as a "place to cut waste" though. I can't tell you how many times politicians want to cut a specific program just to say they cut a *million* here or there. Yeah, that's really gonna help the trillions of deficit we have, assholes.

We really *could* use more anti-space opinions to understand what we can do better to get people to understand that there's a lot NASA does beyond simple academic interest.

I don't think his opinion is 'space travel sucks', his opinion is 'the shuttle was a badly compromised design'. I actually think he's right on a few points. Military interests in the shuttle design program demanded capabilities (like the ability to put payloads into polar orbits) that came at a serious cost. The shuttle ended up something like 20% over its design weight (I think?)

So I don't think it's an anti-space opinion so much as a 'don't design spacecraft that try to do everything for everyone and end up being inadequate at everything' opinion, though I'm not actually sure how well supported this opinion is.

I still love the shuttle though :allears:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 6, 2012

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

I'm not joking by the way, public opinion of "NASA being a waste of money" amazes me when the total budget of NASA is literally nothing, like $19B.

Can't underscore this enough. Its contributions to medicine alone are astounding. Yet we still waste money on things like the Osprey(30Billion last I remember) which still is a crap-shoot when taking off and landing.

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/MedicalBenefits/main.html

Wikipedia posted:

Controversy
The V-22's development process has been long and controversial, partly due to its large cost increases.[41] The V-22's development budget was first planned for $2.5 billion in 1986, then increased to a projected $30 billion in 1988.[25] As of 2008, $27 billion had been spent on the Osprey program and another $27.2 billion will be required to complete planned production numbers by the end of the program.[18]
Its [The V-22's] production costs are considerably greater than for helicopters with equivalent capability—specifically, about twice as great as for the CH-53E, which has a greater payload and an ability to carry heavy equipment the V-22 cannot... an Osprey unit would cost around $60 million to produce, and $35 million for the helicopter equivalent.
—Michael E. O'Hanlon, 2002.[42]
The V-22 squadron's former commander at Marine Corps Air Station New River, Lieutenant Colonel Odin Lieberman, was relieved of duty in 2001 after allegations that he instructed his unit that they needed to falsify maintenance records to make the plane appear more reliable.[18][43] Three officers were later implicated in the falsification scandal.[41]
The aircraft is incapable of autorotation to make a safe landing in helicopter mode if both engines fail. A director of the Pentagon's testing office in 2005 said that if the Osprey loses power while flying like a helicopter below 1,600 feet (490 m), emergency landings "are not likely to be survivable". But Captain Justin "Moon" McKinney, a V-22 pilot, says there is an alternative, "We can turn it into a plane and glide it down, just like a C-130".[38] A complete loss of power would require the failure of both engines, as one engine can power both proprotors via interconnected drive shafts.[44] While vortex ring state (VRS) contributed to a deadly V-22 accident, the aircraft is less susceptible to the condition than conventional helicopters based on flight testing.[5] But a GAO report stated the V-22 to be "less forgiving than conventional helicopters" during this phenomenon.[45] In addition, several test flights to explore the V-22's VRS characteristics in greater detail were canceled.[46] The Marines now train new pilots in the recognition of and recovery from VRS and have instituted operational envelope limits and instrumentation to help pilots avoid VRS conditions.[25][47]
With the first combat deployment of the MV-22 in October 2007, Time Magazine ran an article condemning the aircraft as unsafe, overpriced, and completely inadequate.[38] The Marine Corps responded by arguing that much of the article's data were dated, obsolete, inaccurate, and reflected expectations that ran too high for any new field of aircraft.[48]
The V-22 has a maximum rotor downwash speed above 80 knots, more than the 64 knots lower limit of a hurricane.[49][50] However, it is possible to fast rope from the V-22.[51]
The Osprey has overcome problems such as hydraulic fires in the nacelles, vortex ring state, unarmed landings in hostile territory, and lack of autorotation.[52]

But yeah, the Shuttle program was such a gigantic cluster gently caress that produced nothing beneficial to society. :circlefap:

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 6, 2012

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
NASA is an incredible thing that should get as much funding as it needs, partly because (to paraphrase the great Neil deGrasse Tyson) when kids want to grow up to be astronauts, we get a whole new generation of inspired scientific minds. However, the space shuttle is terrible, and it's a good thing the decrepit thing's dead. Over-budget, overdesigned, inefficient, and not safe enough. Bring on the next generation.

You can think the shuttle is an atrocious design without being an anti-scientific strawman, thanks.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

truth masseuse posted:

But yeah, the Shuttle program was such a gigantic cluster gently caress that produced nothing beneficial to society. :circlefap:

Nobody has said this in the entire thread :confused:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

Nobody has said this in the entire thread :confused:

IRQ posted:

Wasn't explicit, but seemed implied in his "space shuttle sucked so much dick" statement.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The reason he's talking about DoD involvement is because a lot of people think that military pressures on the design led to compromises that proved unsafe or an impediment to the shuttle's mission, like unnecessarily huge wings for Vandenberg landings. 'Did not do its job as well as it could have' is not the same as 'never benefited society or worked in any way'.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

The reason he's talking about DoD involvement is because a lot of people think that military pressures on the design led to compromises that proved unsafe or an impediment to the shuttle's mission, like unnecessarily huge wings for Vandenberg landings. 'Did not do its job as well as it could have' is not the same as 'never benefited society or worked in any way'.

Oh, come on now. I think it's obvious I was using some hyperbole. But for you to equate his "space shuttle sucked so much dick" statement with, "It could have done better", is just as far off the mark.

e: Additionally, had he cited Vandenberg landings, and other specific short comings in the Space shuttle, it would be a non-issue. But let me just make this clear. It all started when I made a joke about the Air Force(DoD) operating their own space shuttle program right now when another poster made a joke about why the Stargate on earth didn't have a typical DHD. Was not even talking about the original space shuttle. Was referring to the X-37B.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 6, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

truth masseuse posted:

Wasn't explicit, but seemed implied in his "space shuttle sucked so much dick" statement.

Congratulations on completely missing the point then.

General Battuta posted:

I don't think his opinion is 'space travel sucks', his opinion is 'the shuttle was a badly compromised design'. I actually think he's right on a few points. Military interests in the shuttle design program demanded capabilities (like the ability to put payloads into polar orbits) that came at a serious cost. The shuttle ended up something like 20% over its design weight (I think?)

So I don't think it's an anti-space opinion so much as a 'don't design spacecraft that try to do everything for everyone and end up being inadequate at everything' opinion, though I'm not actually sure how well supported this opinion is.

I still love the shuttle though :allears:

Exactly, and I have no idea how that was unclear considering I stated exactly why the shuttle was a failure! In order to fund the thing it became exactly the problem it was meant to overcome. If it was just a shuttle, as had initially been the focus, it would have been fine, but because the DoD had a boner for militarizing space, it had to be made to spec to do things it never should have been doing, such as kidnapping satellites. Specialization of space vehicles should have been the path we took, not making a jack of all trades (and master of none). And then the shambling corpse of the shuttle lumbered on for years, being costly and needlessly dangerous and probably setting back progress had we had sensible spacecraft and let DoD gently caress around with shooting commie nazis out of the sky.

I have no idea how you get "gently caress space exploration" out of that. The shuttle, in practice, was a bad design. Did it result in good science? Yes, of course it did, but it was not the ideal way to do anything. If it was safer, more reliable, or less expensive, then we wouldn't be using Soyuz now, would we?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm all for privatizing space exploration if it keeps the military out of it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rhyno posted:

I'm all for privatizing space exploration if it keeps the military out of it.

Yeah, because it's not like there's a huge relationship between the military and corporate enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flatscan posted:

Yeah, because it's not like there's a huge relationship between the military and corporate enterprise.

Richard Branson and James Cameron will save us!