Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Funnily enough I was talking about 'potential pitfalls' - if I can be such a dick talking about it like that - of the sound and the scene in the updated OP (that I stealthly snuck in there last weekend, shame on those who never noticed).

To be honest I've felt it's been the more Techy, German stuff that's been getting the spotlight. The kind that fits on Resident Advisors scope. Now that's the stuff I can see doing a Bukem/Speed thing and end up caught in it's own wee Berghain based bubble.

The more Garagey stuff I just can't see gaining much tract outside the scene, regardless of how many videos are shot on a Sony Handycam HD. It's not feminine enough now for the girls, not upfront and dancefloor like the old stuff for the boys (with the odd exception), not cool enough, dressy enough or champagne and coke enough for the rudies, and UKG just can't do it for the chinstroke-y wankers. Though it has been hilarious over recent years to see people who probably laughed at Garage originally try and fail to copy El-B beats from a decade ago.

There has been some quite boring stuff being made, but there always is I guess. At least a lot of it is restricted to Soundcloud etc (though not helped with the rise of CDs and laptops there). The Disclosure stuff isn't too bad. Though to be honest I found it weird all their older stuff came out on 7-inches. It's not like it's Reggae or Dancehall or something, so it kinda made me feel that they were aiming that at the guitar geek crowd rather than a dance crowd. Now if something will kill a scene it's when they're involved. At least James Blake put out some good 12-inches before he started doing Indie band covers.

People re-finding breakbeats could be the ones to smash it all out the current collective limbo. To really rip apart the status quo and shake off the Germanic and American influences (if they don't pull off themselves). We're about right there on the whole 90s retro-revival thing so I can see that making a good in-road. It won't be exactly like '91/92, it'll be proper warped and mutated and mixed in with what's gone over the past two decades. Good thing bad thing who knows? As long as it's moving somewhere I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subtle
Apr 19, 2008
Saw this on FACT, this guy who nobody has heard of has only gone and made a strong contender for grime track of the year- http://soundcloud.com/bloombeats/quartz

Interesting how this and percy have both just rejigged and polished the old grime staples-those big pulse stabs and detuned squares-and are both getting huge amounts of praise.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
I think it's definitely the techno side of things getting the most critical attention at this point. Every Swamp81 release is hyped more than anything else these days it seems. I think it's an unnecessary discussion at this point completely though, i don't think any one style/sound is particularly blowing up any more than the rest (aside from tear-out which is irrelevent at this point) which is what's so good about following uk bass at the moment.

Like last week i got Champion, Julio Bashmore, Blawan, Jon Convex and Kuedo releases and still wanted a few more, and just within those picks is quite a variety. Every now and then something garage-y has popped up and been hyped a fair bit (like Dauyd or however it's spelt as well last year). But no one sound is being picked up and taking an unfair share, from my perspective as someone who only picks up vinyl/cd releases at least.

If anything it feels like maybe its still branching out even more; someone influential like Mala going the route he is with the Cuban album, i think is certain to encourage even more broadening of styles. I think that and a lot of the other styles are just not the sort of thing people are going to pick up and start all-out copying like tear-out inevitably was going to lead to.

As a big fan of breakbeat hardcore 91-93 going in that direction would be really exciting.. especially as you said, when it will be mutated with the rest of the progression over 20 years. It felt really limited back then by the happy/dark split and hhc switching to 4/4; just when some artists seemed to be getting more creative they reverted to very pigeon-holed styles.

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 6, 2012

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
There will never ever be a jungle/breakbeat hardcore revival. It will just sound so polished and silly, like the Dream Continuum release.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Charlotte Hornets posted:

There will never ever be a jungle/breakbeat hardcore revival. It will just sound so polished and silly, like the Dream Continuum release.

For those of us in bang face hard crew, we never give up hope.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

pssssh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MfVMFNZt08

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Well I don't really mean like people literally making the exact same sounds but more the same kinda vibes. Like the stuff above, it's clearly contemporary but it's kinda got a similar feel, some familiar sounds but obviously pretty mutated and evolved. That kind of upbeat, vaguely happy hands in the air in the middle of a field thing (I'd even say maybe grand and anthemic, or even euphoric but that's chucking a live grenade there), but you'll have 20+ years of musical development chucked in there too.

Like I said 90s nostalgia seems to be coming round nowadays, you're slap bang in the middle of a recession just like the late 80s and early 90s (though a hundred times worse than that). I think the vibe will just naturally end up nearer that end up the spectrum. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if you started getting more and more outdoor or warehouse type events either. Maybe - like before - more out of necessity than outright choice. It'd be good to see the proper soundsystem culture back in there too, something I think has largely been missed out nowadays. Maybe more so overseas?

Of course what do I know. I used to swear we'd see more 90s influenced stuff 4-5 years ago when the J-Tek Records stuff first appeared. I thought a lot more people would jump on that sound back then. Now there was something that blew up on the launch pad, ach well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOSLmKv-C0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RbyXrk5QXY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJHBe7Jacfk

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
There are some brilliant 90s breakbeat influenced stuff out there. Zomby's first album, couple of good tunes like Skream's Burning Up, Ramadanman's Don't Change for Me etc, but it's all just a drop in the ocean. There will not be a better Bombscare like there will be no better Mud.

Charlotte Hornets fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 7, 2012

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
To be clear i didn't mean a direct revival, just as 28GBB stated much better than i could... an emphasis on breaks and the atmospheres/styles of the time being remade with modern influences mixed in. I really thought the various attempted revival tracks sucked to be honest. I'm not very good at explaining what i mean, but there was loads of unique 'atmospheres' and feelings to tracks beyond simply happy/dark and interesting ideas that were never explored to their fullest.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah it's less about retreading the same steps and more about taking what worked and moving forward with it. Sure no one's gonna make the better Bombscare but I don't think that's really a goal people are/should be reaching for at this point- that opportunity came and went like 20 years ago.

I feel like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_Ondi_ojA Mosca- Square One VIP is a better example of how that revival might happen than say the Zomby or Skream tracks. It definitely calls back to the 90s stuff (especially the second half when the break really comes in) but its less about imitation and more about getting the same vibes.

The Zomby album is awesome for what it is- he definitely has his own sound, but it's not trying to move forward at all. And that was by design, I think. He said in an interview or two that the whole idea was that he was going to make a hardcore album with the technology and ideas from the era, cause he was a little too young at the time, but had a ton of nostalgia for it anyway. The Skream one felt similar to me too, though less deliberately so.

Anyway, the other thing I could see taking off is this really dark funky sound that Beneath has been putting out. Here's his soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/beneath and a few months ago he had an awesome mostly dubplate Fact mix. The opening Mella Dee track in particular is killer. It reminds me a lot of early Loefah/DMZ releases but with a house beat and a little more dancey which might help it take off in ways dubstep didn't at first. Less of a precedent for it in the scene than the breakbeat stuff though.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this, but I've been getting into Ruff Sqwad and I'm on the hunt for some more grime. I'm wondering what are some good starting points? I looked over the last few pages and am checking out what I've seen there and in the OP, I thought that Tempa T track ruled and I like the Dizzy Rascal I've heard.

Also, what are some good sites to keep up with this? I'm in America and had literally never even heard the term grime until super recently, so I have virtually no exposure and I am completely isolated from the culture.

grvm fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 12, 2012

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

grvm posted:

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this, but I've been getting into Ruff Sqwad and I'm on the hunt for some more grime. I'm wondering what are some good starting points? I looked over the last few pages and am checking out what I've seen there and in the OP, I thought that Tempa T track ruled and I like the Dizzy Rascal I've heard.

Also, what are some good sites to keep up with this? I'm in America and had literally never even heard the term grime until super recently, so I have virtually no exposure and I am completely isolated from the culture.

Wiley, Roll Deep, Nasty Crew, Kano, Newham Generals and Boy Better Know - Microphone Champion Volume 1.

I think Pitchfork actually had a series of pretty good articles on who's who during the scene's golden age back in 04 or so.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Those Pitchfork articles were written by Martin Clark/Blackdown actually, one of the few who I can remember regularly written about Grime (at least other than Dizzee).

As for where to start? Well it can be difficult purely because of the amount of material that can be out there for artists. Mixtapes that if you never bought when they came out you'll never find, vinyl that you can't find and even if you did never would even be able to afford it. Luckily the big names have had out actual albums and what not which makes things a bit easier to find.

Personally I'd go easy and go classics and buy Run The Road Vols 1 and 2, which came out on 679 Records around about 2004-2005, which was like the golden age for Grime. You're gonna get all the best original folk on them and from there you can just try and wind your way through whatever artists discog. The best bit about the second volume is definitely the DVD that comes with it. DVDs were really something early on, where you'd get cheap wee videos shot for Channel U or whatever put on them, plus interviews and stuff. No holds barred some of the time.

As for new stuff, GrimeDaily is probably one of the best places for checking out what's new or coming soon. Especially since real physical in the stores mixtapes or whatever have fallen by the wayside (so you can't just check what's new on ukrecordshop or back in the day Rhythm Division or Uptown).

SBTV is pretty cool as well, especially stuff like their F64 series.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Thanks, you guys rule. I was kind of overwhelmed and found this genre particularly hard to navigate, and it seemed like with ruff sqwad their best tracks weren't even on the CDs that were released (like r u double f, which I can't get enough of). It also seemed like the amount of material they could put out was endless.

in good news run the road 2 is on spotify, so I'll be able to blast to that.

Also, after watching the op videos I see what you mean about the DVDs, that tempa t video got me goin.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Listen to Sir Spyro's shows on Rinse. He does like 20 minutes of old school tracks every week. He's on Thursdays 1-3 PM (CST).

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart

Subtle posted:

Saw this on FACT, this guy who nobody has heard of has only gone and made a strong contender for grime track of the year- http://soundcloud.com/bloombeats/quartz

Just got back into NMD, big fan of this! I read somewhere grime's making some sort of resurgence in the US, is that right? Perhaps it's a reaction to the internet's reaction to Skrillex et al., the 'not real dubstep, go find Coki / Benga / Mala' argument and then you've got that cross-pollination of producers + MCs and so on.

Django fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 14, 2012

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
What's it got to do with the US at all though? My perspective as just a record-buyer admittedly and not able to be immersed in the live scene is that it's just a new generation being exposed to the sound for the first time properly, and things like Khan & Neek - Percy being like the Pulse X of the old days which i understand was a pretty influential tune.

I also recommended Club Constructions Vol. 1 and 2 on Night Slugs.. not all exactly all straight grime but i like this style and it's nice for mixing. I noticed this nice release the other day, interested by the Mr Mitch remix: http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=COY001

But i forgot to add it to my order, and was surprised when i check it today its sold out already.. despite being what i thought was likely to stay available. Maybe it was just very limited stock in the first place but i thought it was kinda unusual for a seemingly obscure release selling out so quick, maybe its related to this resurgence?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

I also recommended Club Constructions Vol. 1 and 2 on Night Slugs.. not all exactly all straight grime but i like this style and it's nice for mixing. I noticed this nice release the other day, interested by the Mr Mitch remix: http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=COY001

But i forgot to add it to my order, and was surprised when i check it today its sold out already.. despite being what i thought was likely to stay available. Maybe it was just very limited stock in the first place but i thought it was kinda unusual for a seemingly obscure release selling out so quick, maybe its related to this resurgence?

Not that obscure actually. Mella Dee is one half of Mista Men who are getting a bit of a name for themselves over the past wee while. I'm not actually that big a fan of the original mix, it's nice enough but still kinda sounds like a generic Pulse X rip off, but the remixes are pretty solid and I've heard the Mr Mitch mix here and there.

Redeye, Boomkat and Juno still have it in stock btw, so you just had some bad luck at Chemical. Sometimes you miss the proper old school way of hiding the single in a totally different rack, hoping no-one else will find it until you get the cash.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Woah!

Lenkemz ft Dialect - Murder Micz
http://youtu.be/lt--T64qp20

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Apparently, LX One said on Rinse last night that J:Kenzo has a forthcoming album on Tempa :aaa: finally!

By the way, you guys should check out this interesting read from FACT on music consumption. Slow listening, kinda makes me think of the dining mindset of "slow food".
http://www.factmag.com/2012/07/12/slow-listening-100-silks-fort-romeau-on-the-need-to-rethink-our-approach-to-music-consumption/

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

This might not be the right spot to post this, But I went to my first Electro / Dubstep concert and second concert in total while I was in Paris a few weeks ago. Datsik was the main performer with Death Players and a few locals opening for him and god drat I have never had as much fun in my life. I went completely sober and I had no idea I was there for 6 hours straight (11pm-5am when the Metro opened)and my friends that I went with had to drag me out because we had a walking tour of Paris in 2 hours.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

grvm posted:

Thanks, you guys rule. I was kind of overwhelmed and found this genre particularly hard to navigate, and it seemed like with ruff sqwad their best tracks weren't even on the CDs that were released (like r u double f, which I can't get enough of). It also seemed like the amount of material they could put out was endless.

in good news run the road 2 is on spotify, so I'll be able to blast to that.

Also, after watching the op videos I see what you mean about the DVDs, that tempa t video got me goin.

I recommend this a lot, pretty legendary grime mix by Bok Bok for the now defunct Blogariddims podcast: http://tumblklaat.tumblr.com/post/4318980548/blogariddims-episode-29-69-allstars

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Not that obscure actually. Mella Dee is one half of Mista Men who are getting a bit of a name for themselves over the past wee while. I'm not actually that big a fan of the original mix, it's nice enough but still kinda sounds like a generic Pulse X rip off, but the remixes are pretty solid and I've heard the Mr Mitch mix here and there.

Redeye, Boomkat and Juno still have it in stock btw, so you just had some bad luck at Chemical. Sometimes you miss the proper old school way of hiding the single in a totally different rack, hoping no-one else will find it until you get the cash.

I grabbed the Mella Dee record from Crosstalk a few days before it was on sale at any of the big UK/European sites. Looks like it's gone now.

Crosstalk is an awesome site for any record with a US-based distributor. Fade to Mind stuff usually shows up for sale there first. I think I grabbed the MikeQ vinyl release from them before he even knew it was being released.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Can't believe I had never heard about this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ahi5x5xe4

Also, Spooky kicking down the Rinse door after not being let back in. Haha, and I thought things had changed since they got their FM license. Seems like it used to really be the wild west prior to about mid-2007.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Decline posted:

I grabbed the Mella Dee record from Crosstalk a few days before it was on sale at any of the big UK/European sites. Looks like it's gone now.

Crosstalk is an awesome site for any record with a US-based distributor. Fade to Mind stuff usually shows up for sale there first. I think I grabbed the MikeQ vinyl release from them before he even knew it was being released.

I don't think I've heard of Crosstalk. This the place? If you're vouching for it I'll stick it up in the OP. I've been meaning to get some US-based record stores in there for a while now.

fake edit: Actually looking on that site just now I noticed Black Oceans by Larry Heard has seemingly been reissued recently. It may be straight up House but if any of you don't have it loving get it. One of the few records I actually spent stupid money on (well stupid for an old record anyway)

Mike_V posted:

Can't believe I had never heard about this before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ahi5x5xe4

Also, Spooky kicking down the Rinse door after not being let back in. Haha, and I thought things had changed since they got their FM license. Seems like it used to really be the wild west prior to about mid-2007.

Hahaha oh gently caress me, those were the days. As cool as it is that Rinse even managed to get an FM license, there was just something that bit edgier - and frankly cooler - about them when they were a pirate. Same with all pirates actually. I'm telling you I used to think it just made the actual music that much better, much more electric, when gently caress knows what would happen.

That entire Wiley set should be online somewhere too, loving class selection up until then, with Wiley just pissing on everyone through half the set.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

That entire Wiley set should be online somewhere too, loving class selection up until then, with Wiley just pissing on everyone through half the set.

This is an extended bit of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89vwK9w7uF8

Also to that guy asking for grime, the guys from butterz say it best, and they recommend listening to this ton of sets.

http://butterzisthelabel.tumblr.com/post/5272842148/50-grime-sets-i-love

Grime sets from all over the place 2004-2012

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

Leon with a Zero posted:

Also to that guy asking for grime, the guys from butterz say it best, and they recommend listening to this ton of sets.

They did a part 2 as well, but it was mostly broken links.

Here's the full Wiley vs. God's Gift set: http://www.mediafire.com/?d3dmonmddwj

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Leon with a Zero posted:

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Maximum is killing it. That Terror Danjah selection is classic.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
That Wiley vs. God's Gift set also ended up as the sample in Mickey Pearce's Don't Ask Don't Get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMco8YPYGQ

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Uncle Dugs is covering for Plastician on Rinse at the moment playing a classic UKG set. Very good.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Dugs playing Stone Cold right now. Any oval office not got their speakers up to the max now should just gently caress off, heavy metal thread is over there. This is the real heaviness.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Decline posted:

I recommend this a lot, pretty legendary grime mix by Bok Bok for the now defunct Blogariddims podcast: http://tumblklaat.tumblr.com/post/4318980548/blogariddims-episode-29-69-allstars
loving awesome, I'm downloading this once I get home. It sounds like exactly what i was looking for, raw and aggressive.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Deep Sessions III in DC tomorrow night :) See y'all there.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100370340456632
http://www.facebook.com/events/159284770872697/

Plus, Coki at E-Villa in just a little over a week in Baltimore!

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

air- posted:

Deep Sessions III in DC tomorrow night :) See y'all there.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100370340456632
http://www.facebook.com/events/159284770872697/

Plus, Coki at E-Villa in just a little over a week in Baltimore!

I'll be driving up from Virginia Beach for this one, can't wait for both of these shows. See you there!

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Supporting Loefah tomorrow night at Thekla in Bristol, UK if you're anywhere near. It's gonna be a blast.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Anae posted:

Supporting Loefah tomorrow night at Thekla in Bristol, UK if you're anywhere near. It's gonna be a blast.

Woah nice one!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Anyone into the dark "dungeon" stuff? I've been looking for really dark dubstep for quite a while but somehow the dungeon scene flew under my radar till recently.

I'm really looking forward to Low Voltage Volume 25:

http://soundcloud.com/phantom-hertz-recordings/sets/forensics-presents-low-voltage-25/

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Just listen to Youngsta's show on Rinse on Mondays.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Does anybody remember that video of the chunky bloke spray-painting "patriarchy" on a board and subsequently destroying it to the tune of objekt - cactus? I would love to see that again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Haha I really want to see that too

Edit: found it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79RqvhfxeCA

He has another one for Porcupine where he follows his cat around the house with a bit of paper that says "C'est ne pas une 'porcupine'"

Anmitzcuaca fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 20, 2012

• Locked thread