Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie

indigi posted:

Is the West/Dimaggio episode worth listening to? I haven't listened in a couple months now but I love Futurama so much I am tempted to dip back in

Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

indigi posted:

Is the West/Dimaggio episode worth listening to? I haven't listened in a couple months now but I love Futurama so much I am tempted to dip back in

One of the best in my opinion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Paulsen/LaMarche one is amazing too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
The Paulsen/LaMarche one is the one that made me quit listening to every episode, actually :/

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
If you wanna hear dumb people talk about how smart the people who write their words are, it's amazing. Also if you like funny voices.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like the funny voices :smith:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
If DiMaggio does any beatboxing it'll automatically be amazing.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
The only weird part about the West/DiMaggio episode is at one point (about 20 minutes in maybe) Billy West had this weird aside about traveling to Europe specifically to sleep with young women. They kinda just blew past it because what the gently caress. It ended up kinda hanging over the episode as I'm picturing West as some old creeper trolling Berlin.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What's weird about that

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm still mad at Billy West for staying on and taking over the voice of Ren after Nickelodeon fired John K from Ren & Stimpy. :argh:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

http://splitsider.com/2012/07/chris-hardwicks-nerdist-industries-bought-by-major-production-company/

quote:

Chris Hardwick's Nerdist Industries Bought by Major Production Company

Legendary Pictures, the production company behind this current Batman trilogy, The Hangover movies, Inception, and like a zillion other films has purchased Chris Hardwick's Nerdist Industries. Nerdist, over the last few years, has grown into a multi-faceted, multi-media nerd empire, including a podcast network, a website, a YouTube channel, an e-newsletter, and a live venue. The goal of the acquisition is to help Nerdist further broaden its brand, especially into TV and movies. Hardwick will maintain his position inside Nerdist, as well assume the position of co-president of Legendry's digital business, which seems like a really fancy job. All in all, it's a good day for Mr. Hardwick. He must be really enjoying his burrito, right now.
Don't know how I feel about this. I'm worried Nerdist will turn into Earwolf II and my favorite shows will lose their charm and autonomy.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Here's Chris' statement on it:

quote:

Chris Hardwick
You won’t notice any change in the way we run things. Legendary was already an investor and you didn’t notice that. This exercise will be no different. The change you WILL notice is the breadth and quality of things we’ll now be able to create. And no, we will not become a trumpet solely to pimp Legendary’s properties. Thomas specifically told me NOT to do that (conveniently before I had to say that that was not my goal with this). We will cover them fairly, as we had in the past, and will remain impartial in our coverage of all things. I still love Marvel, IDW, DC, et al. That’s not going to change. What we WILL be able to do is have better access to stories, scoops, and behind the scenes goodness. Nerdist News is a particularly interesting piece of the puzzle for me, and this will help us build that out into a respectable li’l news engine that breaks stories and gets exclusives.

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/07/the-legendary-thing/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

So the most by-the-numbers press release of all time, got it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well good for him, I didn't realize he was at the point where he had large investors.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm still mad at Billy West for staying on and taking over the voice of Ren after Nickelodeon fired John K from Ren & Stimpy. :argh:

He talks about that, apparently he was supposed to do both characters in the first place. I like the episode because it made me realize holy poo poo the same guys can do that many voices

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

indigi posted:

http://splitsider.com/2012/07/chris-hardwicks-nerdist-industries-bought-by-major-production-company/

Don't know how I feel about this. I'm worried Nerdist will turn into Earwolf II and my favorite shows will lose their charm and autonomy.
The initial investment and then putting Chris and the other guy in charge of things outside Nerdist seem like signs that they understand what made Nerdist successful in the first place, which hopefully means they're keen on letting it continue.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Holy crap, the SDCC episode. John Barrowman is wonderfully dirty.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Only John Barrowman could make farting seem precious.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The only weird part about the West/DiMaggio episode is at one point (about 20 minutes in maybe) Billy West had this weird aside about traveling to Europe specifically to sleep with young women. They kinda just blew past it because what the gently caress. It ended up kinda hanging over the episode as I'm picturing West as some old creeper trolling Berlin.

The more you hear Billy West talk uncensored, the more you get the feeling he's kind of a creepy old white guy. The fact that he did a bunch of stuff for Howard Stern in the 90s, where racism was the punchline most of the time, should also tell you some things.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Walrus Truck posted:

Only John Barrowman could make farting seem precious.

I've listened to the episode a ton of times. God, I love John Barrowman.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Chris Hardwick does an excellent english accent, most americans sound like dick van dyke.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So after a good bit of being blah about the Nerdist I listened to it for the first time in ever because Alton Brown was on. Turns out I like it a lot! Hardwick's one of those guys I really should dislike because I normally hate the overeager happy puppy style of interview but for some reason I found it charming.

So, any real 'must hear' episodes of it, and how's the other shows on the network?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I really enjoy the Thrilling Adventure Hour. And while he records more episodes than I can sometimes get around to listening to, Pete Holmes' podcast can be pretty interesting.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Indoor Kids is usually pretty good. The JV Club is really good and The Todd Glass show probably is my favorite podcast.

The Nerdist podcast is usually really good, just see which guests you like.
The funniest episode was the live episode with Adam Savage in my opinion.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The Adam Savage one was one of my favorites but I think the recent live one with John Barrowman topped it.

Alton Brown was awesome. I still want to know which Iron Chef tried to sneak pot in as a ingredient...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Geekslinger posted:

The Adam Savage one was one of my favorites but I think the recent live one with John Barrowman topped it.

Alton Brown was awesome. I still want to know which Iron Chef tried to sneak pot in as a ingredient...

Gotta be Cat Cora, or maybe Flay just got his confused with oregano.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Popelmon posted:

The JV Club is really good

Yeah.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

indigi posted:

For what it's worth, the guy who runs Legendary Pictures, Thomas Tull (the "Thomas" that Hardwick referred to in his statement), is supposed to be a great guy who got into the business for the right reasons. With him, it's more likely than usual that he wants to further support whatever Chris and the Nerdist crew are doing without changing anything.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
If you're into show business then Making It is really good.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
If you are a Henry Rollins fan at all check out his interview this week. It was really great and Chris let Jonah and one of the interns do most of the work because they knew more about him. Henry was awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Alton Brown one was surprisingly good, even if there were some points where Alton clearly didn't know how to react to Chris's conversation offshoots.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Ohh Anna Kendrick :swoon:.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Popelmon posted:

I will cut you.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Rude!

I loved the episode. I like her even more now (didn't think that was possible) and the intern was pretty cool. He can come back.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Popelmon posted:

Yoshifan823 posted:

I will cut you.

A peace offering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYCV2zybQoI

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

DivisionPost posted:

A peace offering:

Unfortunately, this EMI-music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights.

Are you mocking me? I will cut YOU!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I was at Comic-Con, I saw all manner of famous people, like Seth McFarlane, Joss Whedon, Guillermo Del Toro, and just a bunch of people in general, but the only time I every really got star-struck was a friend telling me she walked by Anna Kendrick on the way to meet me at Ghirardeli's. I have a problem.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Yoshifan823 posted:

When I was at Comic-Con, I saw all manner of famous people, like Seth McFarlane, Joss Whedon, Guillermo Del Toro, and just a bunch of people in general, but the only time I every really got star-struck was a friend telling me she walked by Anna Kendrick on the way to meet me at Ghirardeli's. I have a problem.

And now you are mocking me too! I will cut you!
The only famous person I could ever get remotely close to is Till Schweiger :argh:.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Popelmon posted:

And now you are mocking me too! I will cut you!
The only famous person I could ever get remotely close to is Till Schweiger :argh:.

Walked by Alison Brie and Dave Franco too. :smug:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Getting to know celebrities via the nerdist or wtf is genuinely best way. If I would known anna kendrick was from twilight I probably wouldn't have listened.

When I was younger, I would always make fun of my dad for saying that he preferred the radio to the tv because I thought it was purely an age thing.

I still prefer tv, but for certain things like interviews I really think that radio/podcasting (audio) is so superior as a medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Popelmon posted:

Oh god, that interview made me crazy. As if I wasn't infatuated with her already, it turns out she's also a hardcore cinephile (namedropping a Bergman film) and super funny.

She also reads reddit, but no woman is perfect.

• Locked thread