Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My heart leapt out of my chest.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Apparently Graces f is gonna come out in Europe this year, too.

Yeah, I think europe gets some kind of premium packaging with an artbook and so forth. Made me kind of jealous.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Does Xillia have better pacing than Graces? Getting through the first part of that was painful.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It can't be any worse than Abyss's at least. Go here! Now turn around and go to a place halfway across the map! Now talk to someone else in the rear end end of nowhere! Now go back to that first place!

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Too much to hope for that they'll fix the things people were complaining about? Hearsay is that the game isn't that great.

Still, I'll totally end up getting it anyway, it's more Tales and that fills a niche I need in my collection, and anything to make Japanese developers realize some people over here actually want their goddamn games. :)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Most complaints are overblown one liners like the dock scenery getting re-used.

The slowdown during combat is really the worst of it and I guess you get used to it like most slowdown in other games. The end sequence is rushed like 98% of the JRPGs out there. Everything else is basically classic JRPG nitpicking and typical problems every Tales games tend to have to various severity. I do wish it had more link artes to play with, which the sequel is apparently trying to fix with general link artes.

All in all it's a good game and will deliver classic Tales fun to western fans who want more.

To answer the original question about pacing. Yes, I think the early game pacing is a bit better than Graces' childhood arc. It mirrors Vesperia's early game pacing in a lot of ways.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Artix74 posted:

It can't be any worse than Abyss's at least. Go here! Now turn around and go to a place halfway across the map! Now talk to someone else in the rear end end of nowhere! Now go back to that first place!

Let's head back to Daath.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

What ever became of Namco filing a trademark for Tales of Hearts? http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/22/tales-of-hearts-trademark-filed-by-namco-bandai-in-the-us/

It was February this year, does this mean they're thinking of putting it on the eShop or something? I'd buy it if so.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Not until 2013 though. :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rascyc posted:

Most complaints are overblown one liners like the dock scenery getting re-used.

The slowdown during combat is really the worst of it and I guess you get used to it like most slowdown in other games. The end sequence is rushed like 98% of the JRPGs out there. Everything else is basically classic JRPG nitpicking and typical problems every Tales games tend to have to various severity. I do wish it had more link artes to play with, which the sequel is apparently trying to fix with general link artes.

All in all it's a good game and will deliver classic Tales fun to western fans who want more.

To answer the original question about pacing. Yes, I think the early game pacing is a bit better than Graces' childhood arc. It mirrors Vesperia's early game pacing in a lot of ways.

I read a lot of complaints awhile back that the game was rushed. Like I remember posting this one article about Xillia awhile back and laughing about people in the comments who were demanding a Director's Cut already and I think some people here totally called me out and told me why it might deserve one.

Can you expand on that? I'm kind of curious if it's true. I'm not really hype for Xillia because it's not Chain Capacity but learning is good I suppose.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Can't find the list, but a lot of them were "Didn't have enough of x". For instance, only three alternate costumes for the entire party, and not many link artes. There was also a thing where all the ports were the map each time. It sounded like it needed more content, but not necessarily "rushed" like people say.

Also, you can't link with a human player, because the linked character is controlled by the AI. That's pretty dumb.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Now I'm curious if the localized Tales of Xillia will get updates like Abyss did way back when.

v: If it's any consolation, Xillia has really good music. Lots of violin in there.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 7, 2012

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Even if Xillia isn't as good as people say I'm just excited that a new Tales game is coming our way and it's on the PS3.

:dance:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

What ever became of Namco filing a trademark for Tales of Hearts? http://www.siliconera.com/2012/02/22/tales-of-hearts-trademark-filed-by-namco-bandai-in-the-us/

It was February this year, does this mean they're thinking of putting it on the eShop or something? I'd buy it if so.

Namco has trademarked almost every tales game in NA. It doesn't mean they'll release any of them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Policenaut posted:

I read a lot of complaints awhile back that the game was rushed. Like I remember posting this one article about Xillia awhile back and laughing about people in the comments who were demanding a Director's Cut already and I think some people here totally called me out and told me why it might deserve one.

Can you expand on that? I'm kind of curious if it's true. I'm not really hype for Xillia because it's not Chain Capacity but learning is good I suppose.
The rushed complaint comes specifically from the end of the game in that it ends a bit abruptly. It's a shorter Tales game than the rest as a result if you just gun the main plot. On one hand it's kind of good because it avoids the stupid dragging out parts that seems to plague some Tales games, on the other hand ... the ending is really abrupt (the final boss fights are still great though). Which makes the sequel a bit nicer since there's a couple of lame plot events that'd be nice to tie up.

There was a news story posted a long time ago as well that during certain events in the mid-game, you were supposed to control two bonus characters to fill in some plot gaps. This got pulled basically. Aside from that it's just the usual nitpicking. The "no spa scene" really set some people off and the swimsuits being moved to DLC set off others.

ToX does have chain capacity (called "AC" in ToX) as a random aside, but it meshes it with TP as well. It's an all right system but AC is restricted to basic attacks while TP is for techs. Thankfully there's a lot of TP recovery built into the game so it doesn't become a poo poo-show of TP replenishment spam.

Link artes are a lot of fun though, but the two main characters end up with most of them whereas everyone else only gets a couple between each other and a couple more than average with Jude/Millia.

There's a lot the game really did right though: the world is very pretty and has quite a bit more thought put into it than usual (it's a lot like Abyss in that regard). A lot of the technobabble from Abyss is also back - Millia is the loving ownzone with her Maxwell thing. A lot of attacks really have some OOMPH to them especially the link artes and the Arte ball gives you a wide variety of things to do. Boss fights are a lot of fun (the rival party fights were some of my favorite). Motherfucking FAST TRAVEL (with skits that tell you were potential side quests and background events will take place).

So. Many. Attachments.

Oh yeah nobody ever talks about the custom attachment placer/rotator/color tool but it's really a ton of fun too if that's your thing.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 7, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rascyc posted:

So. Many. Attachments.

Oh yeah nobody ever talks about the custom attachment placer/rotator/color tool but it's really a ton of fun too if that's your thing.

This is all the padding I need. This game'll last a hundred hours for me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I'm a complete sucker for this kind of thing. I always love that Tales games force very little onto you, including what your characters look like.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Mokinokaro posted:

Namco has trademarked almost every tales game in NA. It doesn't mean they'll release any of them.

Yeah, this is exactly why I don't hold my breath when it comes to Namco and the Tales franchise. That is unless they announce a western localization like they just did with Xillia. :D

Rascyc posted:

Motherfucking FAST TRAVEL (with skits that tell you were potential side quests and background events will take place).

Oh wow. That's one hell of a nice addition.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Artix74 posted:

Uhh this is pretty much how Xillia's request system and event system work. It's all optional though. Go here and kill a group of x enemies, go back(track) to the NPC and collect a reward. Activate a quest with an NPC, fetch x item and bring it back to them. Craft x item and bring it to them. OK, random skit talks about x place. Drop what you're doing and warp to said area. OK, continue with story.

Still feels more mature than Graces F's story though, but if you're looking for a game that's better than Vesperia, it isn't here. No local co-op and no real post-game are to be had. Framerate (in battle and also in various areas of the game) and aliasing issues. These kinds of things will be pointed out by critics as they weren't in the prior games of the series, and what with not coming until 2013 I wouldn't be at all surprised if a ton of people get their hopes up.

I can't really say I'm even slightly surprised by the localization announcement. I even thought "why isn't this being localized?" while playing it. Way too much production value for them to pass up the opportunity to mass-market this.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Couple mistakes there. There is a co-op mode. You do have to navigate the menus to enable it though like the other Tales games. The caveat is that you can't human control characters you link to due to how a number of the automated link perks work out. For example, if 1P Millia decides to link with 2P Jude, then Jude gets AI controlled and 2P selects another character (via the dpad, and you can hot-swap mid-battle anyone you want from outside the active party too). An example of the automated AI link behavior is something like Jude will regularly teleport to you and pick you up instantly if you happen to fall to the ground. It only really becomes a problem if you want to bump to 4 players or if two people really truly want to be ~glued at the hips~, but then you simply have to play it like a normal Tales games without the link perks.

There is a post game dungeon, there's Fell Arms, the Arena (with ~RING OUT~), etc. It's not as much end-game content (no spa, woe is me) as other games but to say there's none is a bit misleading. Again the game emphasizes placing a lot of its extra content throughout the game with appropriate skit cues and such and almost all of that extra content is either fleshing out characters/and the world or giving you one of the hundreds of attachments in the game.

I've never seen anti-aliasing issues in the game when it's in motion, at least not on a scale that's made me stop and say "whoa!". Framerate can definitely stink at times though but you do get some wicked cool spell casting effects, haha.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Megalixir posted:

Uhh this is pretty much how Xillia's request system and event system work. It's all optional though. Go here and kill a group of x enemies, go back(track) to the NPC and collect a reward. Activate a quest with an NPC, fetch x item and bring it back to them. Craft x item and bring it to them. OK, random skit talks about x place. Drop what you're doing and warp to said area. OK, continue with story.

Still feels more mature than Graces F's story though, but if you're looking for a game that's better than Vesperia, it isn't here. No local co-op and no real post-game are to be had. Framerate (in battle and also in various areas of the game) and aliasing issues. These kinds of things will be pointed out by critics as they weren't in the prior games of the series, and what with not coming until 2013 I wouldn't be at all surprised if a ton of people get their hopes up.

I can't really say I'm even slightly surprised by the localization announcement. I even thought "why isn't this being localized?" while playing it. Way too much production value for them to pass up the opportunity to mass-market this.

I know how the request system works, I played Graces. The problem I was calling out was that wasn't Abyss's sidequest system - that was the flow of the main plot.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Megalixir posted:

I am. Graces sold like poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

KoB posted:

But every Tales game sells like poo poo, they still localize every 3d one.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Speaking of Graces, I just finished the main part of the game. Maybe it's because the final dungeon was balanced toward players who did more side questing than I have, but there was a jarring spike in difficulty with the random encounters at that point. The monsters were pretty tough even on easy mode.

And from what little I've played of the epilogue, I get to fight the very same monsters with only two party members for a while. This is going to be fun :unsmigghh:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Graces sold like poo poo? Aw, I was hoping it would at least register an "Alright" on the sales-o-meter.

Also, I must have played the game oddly, because whenever I unlocked a new difficulty I switched to that, and only switched down if necessary. Kept me incredibly overpowered for most of the game.

Also the auto-grind areas in the epilogue for the Eleth Mixer were nice.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm still stuck in the Slime Cave or whatever in Graces. I'm still having a hard time getting the hang of the battle system. I want to be able to use it effectively dammit.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

KoB posted:

127,000 US first week is "selling like poo poo"? And it's not even in Europe yet.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Megalixir posted:

127,000 US first week is "selling like poo poo"? And it's not even in Europe yet.

Don't use VGChartz numbers, they are too unreliable. NPD said it sold somewhere around 64k.

EDIT: added link.

Arctic Cress fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 8, 2012

KoB
May 1, 2009

quote:

For comparison:

Tales of Destiny - 68,647
Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia) - 57,896
Tales of Symphonia - 470,253
Tales of Legendia - 83,343
Tales of Phantasia - 88,235
Tales of the Abyss - 72,192
Tales of the World - 39,809
Tales of Vesperia - 144,354
Tales of Vesperia LE - 6944
Tales of Symphonia 2 - 136,695

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
JRPG sale figures in the west are something of a mystery. I honestly don't pay any attention to it anymore. Companies keep bringing over games despite in-the-weeds sales so I assume people are pulling profits through some smart company management such as zero marketing, or the increasingly popular dropping of the English voice acting.

Level Slide posted:

Speaking of Graces, I just finished the main part of the game. Maybe it's because the final dungeon was balanced toward players who did more side questing than I have, but there was a jarring spike in difficulty with the random encounters at that point. The monsters were pretty tough even on easy mode.
No that's just classic Team Destiny final dungeon hilarity!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 8, 2012

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arctic Cress posted:

Don't use VGChartz numbers, they are too unreliable. NPD said it sold somewhere around 64k.

EDIT: added link.

NPD is also not great anymore since not all retailers report their numbers. It's still better than "Xenoblade will sell 3 million in NA" VGChartz

EDIT: \/ Mostly stuff like Argarest which is an extremely niche series pandering to anime nerds anyways.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 8, 2012

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Rascyc posted:

JRPG sale figures in the west are something of a mystery. I honestly don't pay any attention to it anymore. Companies keep bringing over games despite in-the-weeds sales so I assume people are pulling profits through some smart company management such as zero marketing, or the increasingly popular dropping of the English voice acting.

No that's just classic Team Destiny final dungeon hilarity!

What games are dropping English voice over? That'd be pretty much suicide to drop the voice acting as far as I can tell.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
A couple of smaller games have dropped voice acting entirely this year. Gungnir on the PSP of most recent memory. The upcoming Growlanser localization is dropping all voice acting as well and that's an Atlus USA localization.

Aksys in particular is kind of all over the board. They're doing quite a few Japanese voice track only releases (Fate/Extra of recent memory, some upcoming VNs, etc).

But yeah I wouldn't expect a Tales game to ever do that. My point was more that the localization divisions seem to be getting a bit better on how to make money despite public perceived lower sales. I am no expert though. I just practice cause & effect!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Growlanser dropped all VA except for "event movie" dialogue, which I take to mean FMVs and the like. I figure it's because Atlus didn't want to spend any more money than they had to in order to localize a PSP JRPG.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Well there's definitely a ballpark figure in the prior sales range, it seems worthwhile for them to localize. Assuming 64k is accurate, that's still only in the NA area. That doesn't include all the PAL regions that have yet to receive Graces.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Digital Spy posted:

More remakes of older Tales games are in the works, Namco Bandai has confirmed.

Series producer Hideo Baba said that the releases will provide new fans of the role-playing franchise with a chance to revisit the series's roots.

"We are planning to re-release old games to other platforms in the future, because the old games have some origin and offer standard features of the Tales series," he told Digital Spy.

"We want to give some opportunities to current fans to play the old titles."

Namco will "remake the titles with some improvements" and "improve the graphics to make it more accessible".

Baba added that fans should "stay tuned for more updated information".

Maybe they'll localize Tales of Innocence R or put Tales of Eternia PSP on the PSN?

edit: Or maybe the Tales of Hearts remake that Innocence R teases is legit now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Symphonia for my 3DS, please. Probably the generic response, but I love that game so much :unsmith:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
gently caress man, how much more Tales of Phantasia can they churn out?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

If I can have some more Tales games with updated battle systems, I don't give a poo poo how old they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
On the other hand there are those of us who've played Phantasia on ... hmm, three platforms (four on a technicality)? And enough is enough. I don't give a poo poo how updated the battle system is :p