Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Starhawk posted:

I would try plugging in the controller. Just talking out of my rear end here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lag could be blamed on Bluetooth.

Problem is that the controller was plugged in for charging. Was still laggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

Problem is that the controller was plugged in for charging. Was still laggy.
My buddy has a fat PS3 hooked to a DLP big screen and the flipper lag is very noticeable to the point of being unplayable as you've said. I have a Slim and an LCD screen and I don't notice it. If it's there it doesn't effect my ability to play.

So, I don't know if it's a combination of the fat PS3s having a subpar wireless and the hocus pocus display and focus poo poo it takes to get the video signal to his tv but something in my buddy's set up makes TPA almost unplayable.

Maybe try a different controller?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Robnoxious posted:

a DLP big screen

Most DLP sets have a "video games mode" that can be enabled through the onscreen menus to combat the natural lag intrinsic to the tech. In my experience nearly any game is unplayable on a DLP display without that enabled.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Alcoholism posted:

I really like just about every aspect of Bride of Pinbot - the theme, design, playfield and everything are all great. I really wish they had done something with the billion shot though - if you care about leaderboards or high scores at all, it feels like there's no point to anything else on the table. I know they aren't going to change stuff about the table, but I wish they had least found a way to implement the Billionaire's Club, rather than having all the scores on the same leaderboard.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature, but so far (keep in mind I haven't hit a billion points yet) on iOS Pinball Arcade whenever I get the grand champion high score on BoP it puts my score in not just the first slot on the HS table, but also the second one. I'm wondering if maybe one of those slots is reserved for Billionaire's Club scores and the other for non-billion-point games?

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

He's right though. Since I've had the Xbox version I've noticed the flipper lag on the ps3 version and it is pretty bad. I've tried plugging in the controller, it really doesn't help.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Just busted a 91,952,120 score on Funhouse (PS3). Had Extra Balls stacked for days, I forgot the last count but I had over 45 Rudy hits, 7 Funhouse Multiballs, 4 or 5 Super Frenzys and out of all that I only got the first Trap Door Bonus :/ I just could not get the loops going. Made up the rest of the score with Unlimited Million hits on Rudy's dumb dome in Quick Multiball.

Look out Jpelter that 126,875,920 score of yours is well within my wheelhouse. So close yet so far! :argh:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Robnoxious posted:

Just busted a 91,952,120 score on Funhouse (PS3). Had Extra Balls stacked for days, I forgot the last count but I had over 45 Rudy hits, 7 Funhouse Multiballs, 4 or 5 Super Frenzys and out of all that I only got the first Trap Door Bonus :/ I just could not get the loops going. Made up the rest of the score with Unlimited Million hits on Rudy's dumb dome in Quick Multiball.

Look out Jpelter that 126,875,920 score of yours is well within my wheelhouse. So close yet so far! :argh:

Yeah that was pretty much my experience a few days ago. The Trap Door is harder to hit this time around partially because the smart cam doesn't follow the ball in the upper area like it did in Williams Collection. My timing for it is all off.

For anyone looking to pump up their Funhouse score: Complete the Mystery Mirror, and try to do so on every ball. You'll light extra ball on the hallway this way; grab it. If you complete the mirror and earn Super Frenzy then when you drain out the Mystery Mirror will reset, giving you the chance to earn ANOTHER extra ball and complete the mirror again. Repeat as long as you can, starting multiball over and over along the way. Rudy hits will rack up and draining the ball will turn into your highest scoring shot.

Whirlwind has a similar strategy to it (and I hope that comes to PA eventually since now I have trouble going back to Williams Collection). Of course this strategy is null is null if they ever do tournaments and these games can be set to tournament mode.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 8, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mac version got updated with post processing.
What is that supposed to do? It just washes out the colour as far as I could see.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 8, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

Nice going sir. I welcome the competition. I really enjoy funhouse a lot after playing around with it for a while. The extra ball mechanics aren't as idiotic as with a lot of the other older tables.

Deadly Fear
Feb 4, 2005

awesome
Does anyone have problems with some scores not appearing in the leaderboards for the ipad? For Monster Bash my high score is 800m but only my second highest score of 354m is showing up. It's also like that for Medieval Madness and I think one other table.

Could it be a result of turning the ipad off and coming back to the game later?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I would like to compile a list of all the table goals (standard & wizard) for all the tables in The Pinball Arcade. However, once you complete the standard ones you can't read them anymore, and you have to complete them even to see what the wizard ones are. So there's no way to really pull a complete list from the interface. Does anybody here know how to like decompile the iOS binaries or whatever and just strip the goal titles right out? (Obviously I have no loving idea what I'm talking about but hopefully one of you does.) It would be good to get the exact wording/formatting this way as well, I would imagine. I can vaguely remember what some of the standard ones were on some tables, but I'd like to have an exact list.

Any help or ideas for me here?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mac version got updated with post processing.
What is that supposed to do? It just washes out the colour as far as I could see.

It's apparently as useless as it is on the iPad, and I'm puzzled why they included it in the Mac version.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

I would like to compile a list of all the table goals (standard & wizard) for all the tables in The Pinball Arcade. However, once you complete the standard ones you can't read them anymore, and you have to complete them even to see what the wizard ones are. So there's no way to really pull a complete list from the interface. Does anybody here know how to like decompile the iOS binaries or whatever and just strip the goal titles right out? (Obviously I have no loving idea what I'm talking about but hopefully one of you does.) It would be good to get the exact wording/formatting this way as well, I would imagine. I can vaguely remember what some of the standard ones were on some tables, but I'd like to have an exact list.

Somewhere on your device is a save file - if you back up and delete the live copy, you should be able to start fresh on all tables.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Beelzebozo posted:

If your on iOS, it'll wipe your save with every update, and the new one should be out soon.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Thanks for the tips, guys. With some help from delfin I was able to pull together the complete table goals list, which I have now compiled into a thread on the TPA fan forums that I plan to maintain going forward. Next I'm hoping to start adding in some links to tips and guides on completing them. Pop on by if you're registered on those forums and have some advice to contribute.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
:w00t: finished off the Wizard goals for Gorgar this weekend. I love that drat table.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

:w00t: finished off the Wizard goals for Gorgar this weekend. I love that drat table.

:smith: Man, no fair! I wanna play Gorgar! I love that table too, for some raisin.

But I chose to play TPA on their lead development platform so naturally it is the last to get any DLC support. :eng99:

Oh, and as a further kick in the junk, FarSight just confirmed that going forward the only actual cheevo for each DLC table will be the stupid, trivial, local high score one. I get that they are limiting to one per table to get around MSFT's DLC achievements per fiscal quarter limits. But why the gently caress they didn't go with the wizard goal completion one is anybody's guess.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Well the way things are going so far, quarterly limits on achievements shouldn't really be too much of a concern. :laugh:

In all seriousness, I finally got to play the PS3 version yesterday, and the new tables look fantastic on the big screen. I can't wait for the 360 DLC to finally drop.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KamikazeJim posted:

In all seriousness, I finally got to play the PS3 version yesterday, and the new tables look fantastic on the big screen. I can't wait for the 360 DLC to finally drop.

So not only are the new tables unavailable on 360 but they are available on PS3 but only in specific regions since my buddy from the UK on PS3 can't buy Pinball Aracade?

Can we launch a kickstarter to find out exactly why the gently caress Farsight can't get their poo poo straight.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Ramagamma posted:

Can we launch a kickstarter to find out exactly why the gently caress Farsight can't get their poo poo straight.

Small studio, half a dozen platforms? The kickstarter fund would be better spent helping them hire someone to coordinate cert restrictions. As far as I'm concerned, Farsight paid their dues. They spent 2 decades making lovely sports games to pay the bills and are now the only design company making commercial recreations (and drat good ones at that) of real pinball tables. If it takes them an extra couple of months to work around Microsoft or Sony to get extra content to the platforms that's a small price to pay. It's not anyone else is doing it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I wonder if they've talked to GOG or Amazon or about PC distribution. All the bits of chatter seems to indicate it's Steam or bust. If they have talked to them I wonder if it's an issue with the DLC, particularly in GOG's case.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

I wonder if they've talked to GOG or Amazon or about PC distribution. All the bits of chatter seems to indicate it's Steam or bust. If they have talked to them I wonder if it's an issue with the DLC, particularly in GOG's case.

Steam is adding community voting for their submission system: http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/. So their chances are probably a lot better now. And I don't think Steam has much of an issue with dlc, considering the tons of trains and magicka costumes that are available on it.

And I do really wish the dlc for the 360 version would come out soon. I'd rather not have to buy the game a second time just to play the newer tables.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly the delay in the Xbox DLC is making me think about putting off any new tables until Christmas time when I'm thinking about getting a Vita to deal with long stretches of newborn induced sleeplessness so thanks for that Farsight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

my buddy from the UK on PS3 can't buy Pinball Aracade?

Tell your buddy to make an American account and get points codes from Best Buy. Having access to two PSN stores is fun anyhow.

CRACK FIRE BEATS
Sep 11, 2001
Does Marvel Pinball take forever to load once you launch the game (on PS3) for anybody else? It's to the point where I fire up the game and watch TV for a minute or two before I check back to see if it's loaded.

Disease
Oct 6, 2011

Robnoxious posted:

Fired Funhouse up on ps3 for the first time today and ended up posting a 255,xxx,xxx score. Don't remember how many times I did things but I did learn that the game counts Rudy hits over 100 and that the display can't handle a bonus over 10 mil.

It's fun for a while but constantly getting extra balls from the mirror turns it into a grind. I'm pretty sure I got 6 extra balls in that game and never saw them award points instead like every other table. I also do not like the mirror shutting off after the frenzy mode - I understand they don't want to award frenzy or extra ball more than once per ball but having it off can get boring as you are forced to go after nothing but multiball over and over. Then again I don't seem to have as much fun on these older tables (BoP included) compared to MM, CV and Ripley's.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Gann Jerrod posted:

So people on twitter hooked up Zen Studios and the art director of Archer, and it sounds like they're interested in doing a table for Pinball FX 2. *Sploosh*

Did anything ever come of this? :ohdear:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

In addition to the existing tables, there are Harley Davidson and "New Taxi" .csv files in the Mac app bundle of Pinball Arcade. Has Farsight announced either of those tables for a future release?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Taxi's a given because it was in the Williams collection.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

And Harley Davidson's a given because models from it are visible in the project overview video on FarSight's website.

But no, they've not formally announced either. Here's a list of all the officially announced tables so far:
http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/194-Latest-NEWS-And-INFORMATION-From-FarSight-Studios-Concerning-The-Pinball-Arcade

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Some WIP stuff on Harley-Davidson was spotted in one of the interviews, so yeah I think it was assumed that it would come out at one time or another.

Perhaps we now know what the August tables will be, Harley Davidson and Taxi. I <3 Taxi, never played Harley-Davidson so more new stuff is always appreciated. The question on my mind is will it be the 1991 Bally table or the 1999 Stern table?

edit: Looking at both tables on ipdb, my money is on the Stern version.

KamikazeJim fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 11, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

So not only are the new tables unavailable on 360 but they are available on PS3 but only in specific regions since my buddy from the UK on PS3 can't buy Pinball Aracade?
Your buddy can buy it today. It finally came out in Europe

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ha, finally got my billion points hot in Bride of Pinbot to clear its wizard goals. Knockin' em down. :clint:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Got this from a Q&A posted on the pinball fan forums, answered by Bobby King of FarSight:

quote:

How does the 55K for The Twilight Zone compare to newer licenses such as AC/DC, Tron, etc. ?

Rock group themed tables with a bunch of songs are tough to compare to any other licensing effort. Every band we’ve contacted wants 20%+, and that’s just for the group with no music.

Luckily for Stern Pinball, music publishers and the rights holders to the recordings are more reasonable when it comes to real pinball machines. Having a physical pinball machine licensed is considered a “vanity” project. Mobile devices and video games are categorized differently than pinball. The guarantees (money up front) aren't the major problem. It's the royalties on the backend that make it unrealistic financially. That said, we haven't approached AC/DC or Disney (for Tron) because we currently can’t emulate Stern’s latest hardware. We have made some progress in this area though – so there’s hope for getting more recent Stern tables in the future.

Son of a bitch :ohdear:

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
I've never understood why Whirlwind keeps getting rereleased when the far superior Earthshaker has yet to see a digital release. Same with Diner, which was released around the same time as Taxi and Whirlwind. Just noticed Space Shuttle as announced too, which is another snorefest back when I played it at arcades, it's just too easy to keep the ball going indefinitely that the challenge is not there.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
Timeline arcade near me promised a Dr. Who and Flash on their facebook page. The seller got there, unpacked everything, set up Dr. Who and let people play for quarters, and then he got seller's remorse and completely backed out! Goddamnit, why is this guy not dealing with legitimate businesses!

So after that massive cocktease on my all time favorite pin (I was not even there to play it when it came in for the hour window or so), he snagged a Mario Bros Mushroom World and Data East Simpsons. This just seems like a huge trade down from DW and Flash as I haven't heard much good about these tables. I finally got over my rage at his empty promises, so today I'm going to go give the new tables a try. Will post a trip report when I get back, for those who have not tried these pins.

I worry about this guy's business though. He just opened in January or february, he doesn't work there all day and already has like 4 employees, but I hardly ever see anyone in the arcade. Now he's talking about opening a second location. Is it even possible in this economy that he's doing that well that he could be doing all these things? It seems like he's a young, first time business owner and he's expanding too fast, which is the bane of young businesses. It's possible that all the tables and cabinets he has are just part of a private collection he had built for years, but he still has to pay upkeep and rent. Oh well, kind of off topic. Pinball time!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

KamikazeJim posted:

Some WIP stuff on Harley-Davidson was spotted in one of the interviews, so yeah I think it was assumed that it would come out at one time or another.

Perhaps we now know what the August tables will be, Harley Davidson and Taxi. I <3 Taxi, never played Harley-Davidson so more new stuff is always appreciated. The question on my mind is will it be the 1991 Bally table or the 1999 Stern table?

edit: Looking at both tables on ipdb, my money is on the Stern version.

I wonder how they'll handle the third button for the thing that pops up between the flippers if it's the 99 one.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Zorblack posted:

Doctor Who to Super Mario Mushroom World
Yeesh, "downgrade" is an understatement. Still, some pinball is better than none at all.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Zorblack posted:

Is it even possible in this economy that he's doing that well that he could be doing all these things?

Nope. He made his hobby a business and he's gonna get screwed, like all the bad comic books store that have died horrible deaths :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I want to hope Doctor Who will be in TPA but it's pretty much not gonna happen, unless they do another kickstarter for it. A while back I think I read about some of the show's cast members playing the machine once, no idea which season's cast. I've played it in VP but the platform that you lock balls on has like 1 frame of animation for moving up/down and it just isn't like playing the real thing at all.