Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Warcabbit posted:

Hm. I believe I recall something that shoots lasers down your guitar neck. Cause otherwise, it'll just look incomplete.
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Guitar_frets.htm
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=19909&hl=fiber
http://www.fretlord.com/fretoptix.htm
http://www.simscustom.com/html/00leds.htm

Or just glow in the dark fret markers.

So, how much that thing weigh?

Hmmm, more glowing. I don't know how often we'll get to play in the dark really, but on the other hand, lasers....

It's about 10.5 lbs, which makes it a little heavier than my Les Paul, but not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm just saying, if you're going to go for it, GO ALL THE WAY. Some of the options there don't involve messing up the whole neck.

http://www.fretlord.com/fretoptix.htm

This one. Nice and inexpensive, too. The green module'll cost another twenty bucks, annoyingly. I have to ask, what does the rest of the band have/look like, if you have a distinctive look?

Hm. Dr. Rockenstein shall live.
https://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/interactive/8a5b/

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 30, 2012

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Those sure are green! Let's see how it turns out once I get the neon strings on - the process of glowing can be ongoing.

This is a pic from three months ago - guitarist on the the left disappeared a few days after this show. I'm the one between the luchadore and the giant Pikachu.

I had already been meaning to pick up a lab coat and flip-up welding goggles, but when I saw radioactive snot-green BC Rich, I knew my transformation into Dr. Rockenstein would soon be complete.

EDIT - Holy poo poo that one project with the dremel, iron, and drill looks both terrifying and epic.

After The War fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 30, 2012

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

I'm having fun loving around with it; it's really convenient, because now I can play As I Lay Dying and Attack! Attack! without needing you know, more guitars.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Just got one of these.

Not much in the way of gear, but I'm about to spend 5 weeks in a tent with sporadic access to steady power, so a practice amp is a no go. We've got two shows coming up in a few weeks, and I need to learn some new tunes and practice the old ones.

I just tested it out plugged into my computer speakers, and the tone is actually pretty good. Surprisingly good. It's got a volume, a tone, and a gain knob. And with the gain all the way up, and backed off on the guitar's volume, it cleans up nicely.

With some headphones, I should be set to practice as much as I need to. $40 well spent, in my opinion.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Walter posted:

Just got one of these.

Not much in the way of gear, but I'm about to spend 5 weeks in a tent with sporadic access to steady power, so a practice amp is a no go. We've got two shows coming up in a few weeks, and I need to learn some new tunes and practice the old ones.

I just tested it out plugged into my computer speakers, and the tone is actually pretty good. Surprisingly good. It's got a volume, a tone, and a gain knob. And with the gain all the way up, and backed off on the guitar's volume, it cleans up nicely.

With some headphones, I should be set to practice as much as I need to. $40 well spent, in my opinion.

I got one of those, and since my dad has an actual AC30, I went for the Night Train model. I actually did the same thing as you and plugged them into a set of Klipsch 2.1 speakers, ended up jamming for a bit with a friend who was playing acoustic. They're really nice little amps. I also plugged it into my NuForce Cube (which is just a palm-sized speaker) and it was all right, definitely very all right.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Those are neat as heck. I keep meaning to buy one, when I get back from vacation I'm totally picking one up. Vox DA5 is my travel amp, maybe a bit long in the tooth these days but honestly what do you need from a grab n' go if all it has to do is "not sound bad," and it actually sails on past that to "actually sounds good" y'know?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I had a Pocket Rockit once. I found it disappointing, but tolerable. But I really hate headphones, so that was probably some of it.

That being said, I wanted to comment on the Vox DA5. As I've mentioned before, I believe I really lucked out when I chose it, for any number of reasons, not least of which being the superior battery life. The sound is better than good enough, the modeling is certainly acceptable, but those Cs in there really keep it moving. And weight it down nicely too. It's also amazingly solid. Fell backwards onto it once, broke my scapula, and the only thing it suffered was a partial crack in one of the corner guards. I was thinking about picking up a Fender Champ 600 for a tube amp, but then I thought about it more and decided the DA5 is still good enough for right now.

(Also, I put $140 into a setup, fret polish, and nut recut, and my god was that worth it... but ate up my free cash for that month. If anyone's in Westchester, NY, http://www.starguitars.net/ is a fantastic place, guy does acoustic repairs too.)

Anyhow. The point I was making, was that I got a e-mail from Fender trying to sell me things. They've got a new modelling amp.
http://www.fender.com/products/mustang/models.php?prodNo=230006&EDID=5CFYR8H-TPRX8-18KKT8-CX79O-VCZB-v1
The Mustang Mini.
http://youtu.be/XMGaxamHP8M

quote:

Electronics
Inputs: One
Auxiliary Input: 1/8" Auxiliary Input Jack
Headphone Jack: 1/8" Headphone Jack
Line Out: Speaker Emulated USB Output; 1/8” Headphone Jack Doubles as Speaker Emulated Line Out
Channels: One Channel (with 24 Presets)
Power Handling: 7 Watts
Controls: Preset, Effects, Gain, Volume, Treble, Master, Save Button, Exit Button, Tap Tempo Button
Hardware
Handle: Metal (Doubles as a Tilt-Back Stand)
Front Panel: Black Front Panel
Cover/Grill Cloth: Carbon Tweed Textured Vinyl with Silver Grille Cloth
Output Impedance: 8 Ohms, 6.5" Speaker
Amplifier Length: 6.69" (17 cm)
Amplifier Width: 9.45" (24 cm)
Amplifier Height: 9.45" (24 cm)
Amplifier Weight: 7.25 lbs. (3.3 kg)
Speakers
Speaker Description: 6.5" Speaker
Speaker: 6.5" (16.5 cm)
Miscellaneous
Additional Comments: Amp models include Metal 2000, Super Sonic™, American 90’s, British 80’s, British 60’s, ’65 Twin Reverb®, ’59 Bassman®, ’57 Deluxe™, Plus four additional Models when connected to Fender FUSE software; 12 effects including Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Vibratone, Vintage Tremolo, Octave Down, Small Room Reverb, Fender ’65 Spring Reverb, Stereo Tape Delay, Tape Delay + Room Reverb, Chorus + Hall Reverb, Vibratone + Room Reverb
Unique Features: Uses AC power supply (included) or six C batteries, 8 amp models, 24 presets (additional presets including Artist presets available with free Fender FUSE™ software), Digital chromatic tuner, Metal handle doubles as a tilt-back stand, Two “quick access” presets can be selected with (optional) one-button footswitch, Stereo headphone output for silent practice or line out, USB connection for FUSE application and digital recording output

Certainly looks promising. Retail $174.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-mustang-mini-7w-1x6.5-battery-powered-guitar-combo-amp
$129 at Musician's Friend. Does have the ability to pull half the back off for the open back sound, it looks like.

I have yet to see one in real life, so any reports from the field would be good.

Hm. Quote from the youtube, on how it was recorded.

quote:

Before you burn anything, let me assure you that what you are hearing is representative of the amp's tone. We had two Minis at each shoot. One on camera and one off. We mic'd the off camera Mini with a Blue Yeti and ran it into Ableton Live. It's a USB mic so that allowed us to record everything on location without AC power. Backing tracks were played thru an iPod into the AUX. Rick dialed in a tone and just improvised the riffs. What you see and hear is real. Guaranteed.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 1, 2012

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Finally got a real amp:

It's the Mesa Boogie Mini rectifier head. It can be switched between 10 and 25 watts, has 2 modes for each channel and is pretty much capable of any kind of guitar tone I would probably need. I've been jamming on it for a while now. The EQ and the gain really makes a difference with even subtle changes. The clean channel, especially in the push mode, is incredibly dynamic and responds to your playing very well. It comes alive or settles down based on how hard you're picking.

This thing is super loving loud and light weight. The slanted cab I got with it is also light, weighing 32 pounds. You could easily carry them both. The head I'm told can also easily power a 4x12 cabinet, though I haven't tried.

I also picked up a Holy Grail for this seeing as the amp does not have built-in reverb. I made the mistake in the store of evaluating 3 pedals and the salesman had me trying everything like guitar -> reverb -> guitar input on amp. Once I got home I realized I needed to put it in the effects loop and it sounded awesome. Very simple but gets the job done.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I love the Holy Grail---I've got the big version, but it's the same circuits. My amp has a spring reverb, which I use for spring sounds, but if I want to get some space noise going (which is almost always), I'll kick the grail on. The spring setting is alright, the flerb is pointless since I've got a flange, but putting it on hall with the knob at 2-3:00 is super-fun.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I pretty much got it because the Hall setting was a must. Spaceyness is awesome, especially with a little delay thrown in for good measure.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kerpal posted:

Finally got a real amp:

The head I'm told can also easily power a 4x12 cabinet, though I haven't tried.

I can report that it does indeed power a 4x12. Quite well.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
The Microkorg makes the best MIDI controller. The x0xb0x is also new but could barely fit in the picture

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 2, 2012

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I just picked up a Joyo Ultimate Overdrive, which is awesome REGARDLESS of the price. I wasn't a big fan of the look of it (or the Joyo name stigma), so I stripped it down and refinished it:

A friend of mine is currently designing a pedal and sent me this photo of the "work in progress" that made me laugh my rear end off, so I thought I'd share that too:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

JohnnySmitch posted:

A friend of mine is currently designing a pedal and sent me this photo of the "work in progress" that made me laugh my rear end off, so I thought I'd share that too:

Well, that's one way of doing it. Does he know about this?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Flying shark is pretty neat :)

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Warcabbit posted:

I guess this might be the best thread for it.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Spring-Cleaning-BLOWOUT-Sale-At-or-BELOW-COST_c_185.html?referer=mailid:36
GFS is having a summer blowout sale. Enjoy, if you want something.

I just want to let you know that I've been obsessing over whether or not to buy an extremely cheap telecaster copy in British Racing Green for 2 weeks now thanks to you. How do Xaviere's play?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Pretty drat good, depending slightly on the luck of the draw. The wood's not the best, but the 'guy I know who owns a 1953 Tele and several Martins', the local snob, was quite surprised by the guitar. Calls it equal to a Mexican Standard.

And, of course, the pickups are good enough that people replace stock pickups with them.

Necks are on the thin side, which is nice, and they improved the frets to be rounded off recently, no square edges. Good nuts, low action, too. Really, can't complain at all. There _is_ some luck of the draw factor, but only as much as you'd have in a $500 guitar.
Besides their electrics,
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Electric-Guitars_c_116.html
their basses are nice.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Bass-Guitars_c_362.html
The acoustics are the first models of acoustic they've made. I've heard some bad things about neck warping, sadly. But that'll probably get fixed in the second batch.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-Acoustic-Guitars_c_361.html

I would, of course, if you know a good guitar tech, get them set up as soon as you get 'em. Also, buy a case, if you buy 'em in the case, they ship them in the case.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 3, 2012

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

Yup, I have purchased three guitars from GFS. Excellent stuff, you cannot beat them for the money. I also recommend just buying their pickups if you want to upgrade a budget guitar.

Patman fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 4, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I played an Xaviere, uh, 620 I think - whatever their tele thinline clone is. It was pretty nice, I'd say right square on par with Rondo's stuff, maybe not quite as good as the new Squier Vintage Modified stuff.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
There's three thinlines now. The 600 is powered by P-90s, the 620 is the tele pickup, the 610 is the double humbucker in a tele bridge like a modern thinline.

Yes, I know I'm encouraging GAS now. But really, for the price, why _not_? Worst case, you've got a guitar you can experiment on without feeling guilty at all.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it was a 620 then. Surprised I remembered.

GAS is just something every electric guitarist has to learn to deal with, I think? I was at a Sam Ash yesterday and they had a Fender Marauder in stock. I ended up playing that through the Pawn Shop series Excelsior and ended up sitting there for about 30 minutes. That triplebucker on the Marauder is pretty cool, really nice clean tones out of it. As jazzy or bluesy as you could want. The Excelsior is also a really fuckin' neat amp for being a 13 watt tube amp with a 15" speaker for $300, I'd love to have one around the house. Not super versatile maybe, but great "Fender tone."

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Man, those semi hollowbody Les Paul style ones are sexy as hell. For $200 I'd probably buy one right now if it didn't cos me another 100 in shipping as well.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You bastard, Manky, you got me back. The Marauder is what I have eyes on as my 'guitar with trem.' I just can't find one in a store and I won't buy one till I try one.
How's it feel, compared to a blacktop Jazzmaster Same neck? Different neck?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 3, 2012

communistdew
Sep 11, 2005
Where do we light our cigars with dollah bills?
drat. I just bought a bright yellow Tele Thinline clone with Dream 180s. This thread is terrible! Anyone want to buy a BSB Squier modded into an Esquire with GFS Noiseless and an oil/paper cap? Portland area?

Also just got an iPhone and proceeded to buy iMaschine and a variety of other amazing things. Oh goodness this summer is getting musical.

communistdew fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 3, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

You bastard, Manky, you got me back. The Marauder is what I have eyes on as my 'guitar with trem.' I just can't find one in a store and I won't buy one till I try one.
How's it feel, compared to a blacktop Jazzmaster Same neck? Different neck?

I can only give a rough comparison, haven't spent much time playing either of course. The necks are almost the same - same scale length, although the Marauder has 22 frets to the Jazzmaster's 21, and felt a bit more comfortable to my hands. It's a great neck overall on both. I've actually always hated Jazzmaster bridges so a big point to the Marauder there. The one I played was missing its trem so I can't comment on that. Overall the Marauder really caught my attention and made me want to keep playing it.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Just picked up a pair of Studio Project C4s. Description said they included omni and cardioid capsules, but they in fact came with omni, cardioid, and supercardioid, so that's cool. My cats already managed to knock the cardioids off the desk and onto a hardwood floor though so who knows if they'll even work.

Recorded my acoustic guitar with them X/Y at about the 12th fret and it sounds great.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Handen posted:

Well, that's one way of doing it. Does he know about this?

Wow that is really really cool.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/ posted:

Have a giant buttload of fun

Oh yeah!!!

edit: Oh snap, they're out of stock indefinitely.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It wouldn't be too hard to put one together though.
If you're looking for something premade, scope out local hamfests/swapmeets for old Heathkit/3M/foo electronics prototyping labs/trainers. Prices can sometimes be silly on these new but they're handy as hell for quickly trying something out.
http://globalspecialties.com/electronic-trainers.html Example of new ones.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
I don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here. IK Multimedia is selling the full version of their SampleMoog software for $29 for the next two days.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=1270

I've had it for a year already or I'd be snatching it up. If you like that old Moog sound, it's a really nice way to get it. If you don't like that old Moog sound, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I just saw that today and pounced on it. If you're running a mac with lion, then the sound installers don't seem to work, but once you manually copy the instrument files into the right place, it's a steal for thirty bones.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I got a drum!

My made-a-lot-more-sense-before-I-actually-started-playing-drums plan to take a cheap electronic kit and add acoustic elements until I had a hybrid kit proceeds apace.

It's a Pearl VPX, so it's still a bargain-basement kit, but I'm still a bargain-basement drummer. It is a lot of fun to play on something that actually responds like a snare should, though. Oof, those pads.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Since there isnt a general gear chat thread I just want to post a picture of this...thing.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Gross. EHX has some decent stuff but their quality:poo poo ratio isn't so good, especially lately. That and their marketing is the worst.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
Yay, I can post in this thread again.

After playing the same electric guitar for 15+ years, I've been feeling like I wanted to get a new guitar. Someone on FB was selling one so I decided to pick it up. Behold!

It's a Washburn OE30 Delta King. A real cheap-o, and the pickups sound like it. Since my last one was a no name (Bradley, anyone remember them?) that I frankensteined into what I wanted, I intend to do that with this as well. I'm hoping to redo the paint and such on it, and more importantly, put some new pickups in it. That's where you guys come in!

I'm not too educated about pickups, but I know that I like burstbuckers a whole lot. I don't want to spend $150 x 2 on them, though. I like some of these more homebrew sites like GuitarFetish and Stewmac and all that. What would you guys recommend to get? Which of these on this page > http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-professional-Series-Humbucker-Nickel-Case-3-windings-available_c_353.html < are most like burstbuckers?

Any other pickup tips or recommendations are appreciated. I'm not doing jazz or blues or anything like that, just full on rock mostly.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

FancyMike posted:

Gross. EHX has some decent stuff but their quality:poo poo ratio isn't so good, especially lately. That and their marketing is the worst.

Personally I love the idea of a single pedal to grab and go, but I'd want it to include a tuner. And not a Metal Muff. But I suppose if you have a decent headstock tuner and aren't too picky that thing wouldn't be bad in a pinch.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

massive spider posted:

Since there isnt a general gear chat thread I just want to post a picture of this...thing.

That is loving ugly as sin, but I'd use it, once I'd given the case a fresh coat of paint.

e: ...does that have a red LED and two greens? Why didn't they bother to match the design and make them red, green and blue?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Allen Wren posted:

That is loving ugly as sin, but I'd use it, once I'd given the case a fresh coat of paint.

e: ...does that have a red LED and two greens? Why didn't they bother to match the design and make them red, green and blue?

Because blue LEDs are unbelievably bright and it probably reduces the parts cost to not have to stick a resistor in the path to reduce the surface-of-a-hotter-star-than-ours glare you can get with them if you're not careful? Just guessing, though.

Not a bad concept for a quick jam pedal, stick a switchable 22 on the end and it'd be ready to put out for a cab too. Why did I think of that and they didn't? Oh well. Maybe it'd sound like garbage. Metal Muff is an interesting high gainer, I can't decide if I think EHX looked at the Dan-O Fab Distortion or the Digitech Grunge more in putting together the basic clipping circuitry of the Metal Muff. Maybe neither, only so many ways to generate musically useful clipping, but it's awfully similar to the root of both of those, the ol' Metalzone. But, tone shaping and specific differences going in and out make for a substantially different end result...

I really think that in terms of products EHX has to have some kind of internal no-questions-asked policy or something, because they seem to bring drat near anything to market and see how it does. DSP or hardware, they just do so much stuff that they're bound to hit here and there. Doesn't hurt that they have a lot of smart people working for them, of course. They probably don't run the graphics by those guys before bringing the product out, though.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Agreed posted:

I really think that in terms of products EHX has to have some kind of internal no-questions-asked policy or something, because they seem to bring drat near anything to market and see how it does. DSP or hardware, they just do so much stuff that they're bound to hit here and there. Doesn't hurt that they have a lot of smart people working for them, of course. They probably don't run the graphics by those guys before bringing the product out, though.

This is probably true. I'm browsing their products again and it's just so much stuff and very few things I'm actually interested in. It's neat that they're doing it though, and good to see a company that large willing to release risky products.

As for the Tone Tattoo, we don't know the price but it just seems more worth it to save up for an M9 or something instead if you really want a one pedal grab and go kind of thing. Maybe that's just a personal thing though because the only part of that I like is the Memory Toy and that's only kind of because I'd probably never buy an analog delay without modulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just applied for a £3000 loan. Surprisingly they said yes, and I'm going to be buying one of these any day now:

An Eigenharp Tau

I'm basically spending 20% of my DLA disability benefits for the next 3 years on this beauty that will (hopefully) allow me to play my music again. I really miss the dynamic scope of the violin, and I've not found an instrument that comes any where near close to producing the same dynamic range that I'm able to play. I've lost a lot of strength over the years, but I still have most of my dexterity - so this instrument is perfect. I haven't spent this sort of money on an instrument since I purchased my 6 string electric violin 12-13 years ago.

The Eigenharp plus my FCB1010 and FC200 midi pedalboards should give me quite a large range of possibilities for live looping. I really loving hope that this gamble pays off.