Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I don't know the exact mechanism for whether he gets to move up or not, but I believe he needs to win today to move up. I think the problem is a combination of his low rank and very few makuuchi rikishi dropping down to juryo. I know Masunoyama will be moving up to makuuchi even with a worse record than Takanoyama, and I suspect Tamaasuka will be moving up again as well, even if he doesn't get the juryo yusho (he'll get the yusho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FZkcbmVoUI

Comments:
Takanoyama! :toot:

Haha, what, Kotooshu is out because he injured his toes? The official word says "foot", but the announcers were talking about a row of toes. This basho is loving weird.

Man, even the announcers were ragging on Wakakoyu for continually pulling that trick. Aran was up to his usual tricks, too, but failed spectacularly for it. That was awesome. Wow, Homasho had a great match, too. Kyokutenho vs Goeido was amazing. I was sure that was going to be the best match of the night, but no, better was yet to come. Toyonoshima vs Okinoumi was pretty good sumo. Tochiozan came out for his freebie and I could swear the audience was booing when they held the flag up for Kotooshu's kyujo.

Kotoshogiku vs Kakuryu was some very nice sumo. Kisenosato vs Baruto was ... just, goddamn, what a day. This is why I watch sumo. Hakuho vs Harumafuji was, uh, spirited. I can't argue with the result. Of course, the playoff match was tense. Despite Tochiozan having pretty much every advantage, including being fresh while Kyokutenho already gave his all in his prior match, Kyokutenho managed to take it. I'm really happy he won.

As Kyokutenho walked towards the back, he was outright crying. His friends and some other rikishi (I saw Kaisei, at least) were shaking his hand and cheering him on as he walked past. It was like a scene out of a movie. During his acceptance interview, when they asked him how he felt, he simply answered "I can't believe it" and then started tearing up again. What an amazing tournament.

seorin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 20, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Thanks for giving us the context not included in the youtube video, seorin. Wish I could have seen that stuff to get the full effect of this victory.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Wendell posted:

Thanks for giving us the context not included in the youtube video, seorin. Wish I could have seen that stuff to get the full effect of this victory.
You can see a lot of it on the video in this NHK report http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20120520/k10015251681000.html. It's all in Japanese, but pretty easy to follow, and has most of the footage seorin was talking about.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Wow, rank and file rickishi winning the tournament.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
what a great story for kyokutenho. and what a great few matches today, especially baruto prying victory from the jaws of defeat. pretty amazing basho altogether. excited to probably see takanoyama again in the next one, hopefully he can translate some of his juryo success to the top flight this time.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It was an excellent tournament for sure. Kyokutenho winning was a nice surprise. Kisenosato losing to Baruto was pretty great as well just because it made it so a maegashira was going to win no matter what.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Incidentally, Kyokutenho was slated to retire after the March tournament and take over the Ooshima stable (a pretty prestigious position), but turned down the offer, saying he 'still had the hunger' to go on for a bit longer. Looks like he made the right decision!

Also, according to the Asahi, Hakuho acted as standard bearer for the victory parade, cried a lot, and told reporters that Kyokutenho winning made him happier than if he'd won himself.:3:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
This was the first Basho that I've followed, and an amazing one at that. I used to watch the ESPN2 show when I was a kid, but it's really awesome being able to follow it. Are there any Bashos that anyone would recommend to watch?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

This was the first Basho that I've followed, and an amazing one at that. I used to watch the ESPN2 show when I was a kid, but it's really awesome being able to follow it. Are there any Bashos that anyone would recommend to watch?

There are 6 every year in Japan, every two months. Unfortunately, that means after every 2 weeks of action we're all sitting around waiting for 6 weeks for the next one to start. Next will be July - you can find all that info on the main page listed in the OP.

As far as "sumo" in other countries, which I've only heard of happening in Mongolia, I have no idea how those would be followed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fryhtaning posted:

There are 6 every year in Japan, every two months. Unfortunately, that means after every 2 weeks of action we're all sitting around waiting for 6 weeks for the next one to start. Next will be July - you can find all that info on the main page listed in the OP.

As far as "sumo" in other countries, which I've only heard of happening in Mongolia, I have no idea how those would be followed.

I know that amateur sumo is a thing in Russia, a lot of the Russian guys who train at my sambo club are into it.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Apraxin posted:

Also, according to the Asahi, Hakuho acted as standard bearer for the victory parade, cried a lot, and told reporters that Kyokutenho winning made him happier than if he'd won himself.:3:

I saw the video footage of them riding around on the back of the car together, but I didn't know the story behind it. That's awesome. :3:

Sumo should be on right now. Why is there no sumo to watch? Nooooooo :(

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

seorin posted:

I saw the video footage of them riding around on the back of the car together, but I didn't know the story behind it. That's awesome. :3:
If you watch the video closely, you can see Kyokutenho, not being used to bring the winner, holding Hakuho's arm up in the victor's pose, and Hakuho being all 'No man, you won this, remember?' and reversing the position so he's holding Kyokutenho's arm up.

Incidentally, this marks the 50th yusho for a Mongolian wrestler, which was not entirely unexpected in and of itself, but given that 47 of those yusho were by Asashoryou or Hakuho, the name of the winner is a surprise.

NotQuiteQuentin, there are a lot of Basho viewable on youtube on channels like Kintamayama's, but I don't know if I'd recommend watching them - even edited down each one is more than an hour of footage, and even if there's a dramatic yusho race or whatever,a lot of those bouts are going to be inconsequential in the long run. Out of the relatively recent Basho, I'd suggest the January 2010 tournament, the last before Asahoryou was forcibly retired, as the most exciting overall. November 2008, where Harumafuji became Ozeki was also pretty good.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 21, 2012

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
When do we find out if Takanoyama makes it to Makuuchi or if he gets stuck at Juryo 1?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I think it involves some pretty hard to follow calculations, but the prediction is that he's back in makuuchi. You can see it a couple posts down on here: https://www.facebook.com/araibirasumo

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
If anyone is interested, they should really check out NHK's video on Kaio's retirement ceremony: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20120527/k10015408881000.html

A foreign lady on Sumo Forum takes a lot of sumo pics and took some of the ceremony too: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.428326763857723.101765.100000412083343&type=3&l=5ff431b8b7

For those who don't know him, Kaio was a venerable ozeki who recently retired. He got into Makuuchi in the early 90s and has set a record for most wins. If you want to see him from his recent matches, just search "Kaio" in youtube. You can probably also see some old matches from when he was younger too. These retirement ceremonies just make me feel so :keke:. Sometimes you just see something nice and it makes you feel good.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Well geez, I hope this gets going again once the tournament starts. Anyway, the banzuke was posted on the 25th. Here's a link to both makuuchi and juryo.

http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/hon_basho/banzuke/index.html

Obviously Kotooshu and his injury is something to pay attention to. I'm also a fan of Aminishiki's so I wonder how he'll do this tournament. Lastly, let's see if Koykutenho can keep it up.

Any thoughts?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Dr.Radical posted:

Well geez, I hope this gets going again once the tournament starts. Anyway, the banzuke was posted on the 25th. Here's a link to both makuuchi and juryo.

http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/hon_basho/banzuke/index.html

Obviously Kotooshu and his injury is something to pay attention to. I'm also a fan of Aminishiki's so I wonder how he'll do this tournament. Lastly, let's see if Koykutenho can keep it up.

Any thoughts?

This thread pops up with the Basho, don't worry I think there's enough interest to keep it around!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Dr.Radical posted:

Lastly, let's see if Koykutenho can keep it up.

Even he doesn't think he can. He was interviewed on the news and said he doesn't expect a repeat performance or anything, but he just wants to keep trying his best. It didn't seem like the usual kind of forced humility, either, I think he really believes that. He was also talking about maybe trying to keep at it until he turns 40. :3:

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
This will be my second Basho and I am getting excited. Between this and the Olympics coming up I am going to be full up on sports action.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

seorin posted:

Even he doesn't think he can. He was interviewed on the news and said he doesn't expect a repeat performance or anything, but he just wants to keep trying his best. It didn't seem like the usual kind of forced humility, either, I think he really believes that. He was also talking about maybe trying to keep at it until he turns 40. :3:

Kaio was reasonably competitive until he retired at 39 so in general it doesn't seem completely crazy but for Kyokutenho, he has 3 years to go. That's a lot of tournaments.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

This thread pops up with the Basho, don't worry I think there's enough interest to keep it around!

We'll be bumpin' once the tournament starts.

I'm really interested to see if Hakuho makes a comeback, or if he is truly on the decline. Some of his losses were very close, but it's loving Hakuho.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
You know how pitchers will add vaseline to the ball and cleat each other, or how boxers used to take the padding out of their gloves? Are there famous examples of cheating in sumo besides boring match fixing? Maybe like steroids that make you fat or something? Is there an equivalent for unsportsmanlike conduct like diving in soccer?

You know how a bunch of dudes hanging out in the park will start a pickup basketball game in the US? Are there pickup sumo matches in Japan?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Everybodies' favorite Takanoyama got gigged for shooting insulin to try and get fat a little while ago, but mostly they do it on chankonabe, beer and afternoon naps.
Of course all of this is preceded by a grueling morning workout on an empty stomach so they are hungry enough to gorge and tired enough to sleep so they get fat.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

You know how pitchers will add vaseline to the ball and cleat each other, or how boxers used to take the padding out of their gloves? Are there famous examples of cheating in sumo besides boring match fixing? Maybe like steroids that make you fat or something? Is there an equivalent for unsportsmanlike conduct like diving in soccer?

You know how a bunch of dudes hanging out in the park will start a pickup basketball game in the US? Are there pickup sumo matches in Japan?

Well, there's a move called henka wherein the henka-er will step to the side at the beginning, leaving his opponent to fall over or be pushed down. While not illegal, it's kind of frowned upon, especially if you're a yokozuna or ozeki. Why it's legal when it's frowned on so much, I have no idea and neither do a lot of people who follow sumo. As far as steroids, I get the suspicion that some rikishi take them (ever notice how some have bad acne on their back and chest?) and I've heard people on the sumoforum.net forum (some of the forum members there are actually in Japan covering sumo as journalists or take photographs and thus have some insight) talk about how they think so too but I haven't read anything really confirming this.

As for your second question, there is plenty of amateur sumo in Japan going from grade school all the way up to college. In fact, if you're a college yokozuna and want to go in to pro sumo, you automatically get ranked higher than other people starting (I think you're put in makushita, one division below the salaried divisions.). As far as pickup sumo, I'm not really sure. I would bet that kids wrestle each other when they're playing (probably less so these days than in days past) but I don't know about adults doing stuff like that unless they're drunk or something.

If this is your first time checking out sumo, I highly suggest you keep watching. Sumo is pretty drat interesting and can be intense/suspenseful as hell. Anyone, including the yokozuna, can have a bad day and gently caress up, and the mental side of it is a pretty big part of it as well. And if you're wondering about their work ethic or athleticism, I suggest you check out a sumo practice. I went to one when I was in high school on a school trip to Japan and I have to say it completely changed my perception of the sport. That poo poo is no joke whatsoever.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Ah, in all of that I forgot to talk about some recent sumo news, namely Kotooshu's foot problems. I gotta say, I really feel for the guy. He's expected to wrestle in the next tournament even though his foot is still hosed up and I'm kind of worried he's going to gently caress up his career by getting a worse injury. If he had just stuck it out on the last day of the last tournament and even phoned in that last match, he might not be in this mess. I would be terrified if I were him.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Let the basho begin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1ZIAeawQ8

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8lNZw6pM_g

Aoiyama vs Kakuryu was very impressive. Both of them did a fantastic job. I also enjoyed Myogiryu vs Harumafuji.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Forza houmasho!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Can't believe Toyonoshima almost took out Hakuho before the rematch.

Good to see Baruto being patient against the weaker foes... and good showings by Myogiryu so far, but still an 0-2 start.

Also glad to see Thumper (Homasho) off to a great start!

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Kotooshu seems to be doing alright so far. No telling what the rest of the basho will be like, though.

Chiyotairyu is back in action!

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Yay! Sumo is back!

Nothing out of control Day 1 it seemed, but you vets of the sport would have a better idea.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tryilIWq74U

Today finally sees things starting to heat up just a tiny bit. A lot of good matches, even if few had surprising results. Glad to see my favorite two extra-spirited rikishi putting up some good fights: Takanoyama and Yoshikaze. Also, Aoiyama is getting very, very good.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i really hope chiyotairyuu isn't just a fluke right now. he keeps impressing me.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Day 3 was quality. Aoiyama is certainly looking good. Chiyotairyuu as well. Hopefully they can keep it up. Baruto being Baruto as usual.

I wonder if he'll get too smug and get slapped for it again? Hopefully not. He's one of my favorites (as well as being one of the few makuuchi and only ozeki I've managed to meet; wonderful guy, great attitude and always smiling) and I'd like to see him go on a run at Yoko. It'll mostly depend on him getting his in-ring ego in check, I think, as well as avoiding re-injuring his left knee.

Also, I've noticed another thing that separates Hakuho from the rest of the wrestlers. He takes his stance at a noticeable angle to the line and his opponent (as opposed almost all other wrestlers that look to take a more line-parallel stance). I have to imagine that this helps him to concentrate his opening force to one side of his opponent's body, likely staggering them or at least disrupting their opening move. Though, you'd have to think that his opponents would have picked up and accounted for his stance. But having gone back and watched several random matches, it looks like his opening is more often than not the reason for his wins. Skill helps, but he tends to get in close and get a belt grip due to his opening moves whereas his patience (and sometimes lack thereof) leads to his results in longer matches. I do wonder if he hits with such force (not being a small man, after all) that it doesn't really matter to all but the largest and most balanced of wrestlers in that they know it will cause them trouble.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hakuhou is fighting really strange this tournament. Besides almost losing, the fight today (day 3) was really strange. Lots of holding and pushing back waiting for a chance to do something. Hesistant, as the uploader said.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Gozinbulx posted:

Hakuhou is fighting really strange this tournament. Besides almost losing, the fight today (day 3) was really strange. Lots of holding and pushing back waiting for a chance to do something. Hesistant, as the uploader said.

Indeed. He almost looked as though he didn't know what to do or had no confidence in his ability to choose a move until forced into action. Very strange.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Perhaps he has some kind of minor injury?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Day 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8UIUYBResM

That is probably best Aran match I've ever seen, which I guess isn't saying too much. I also loved the lingering moment of hesitation before the Gyoji pointed to a winner on Kisenosato's match. You can't see it on the video, but he seriously just stared for 1-2 seconds before finally pointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
pulling so hard for chiyotairyuu. hope he can hold his own against the ozeki when it comes time to face them, he's dominating all the maegashira. still early, but i hope he keeps it up.