Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
No, it literally costs $1-2 a year at places like nearlyfreespeech for a small site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gelob
Jun 9, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Any other goons going to be at Hostingcon?

No goons from my work will be attending but other co-workers will be. We are booth #714 Limestone Networks. We will have some cool little swag if you stop by. http://hostingcon.com/account/exhibitors/view/328

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I recently got roped into working on a django project and we have been looking for a place to host it. I was checking out lithium hosting based on goon recommendations but they don't "officially" support django. Should this be a deal breaker for us? We really just need a domain to show off the project and get emails on.

Eventually, we might start hosting production sites but we will tackle that if/when it happens.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Don't use cPanel hosting for django or rails

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Bazanga posted:

We really just need a domain to show off the project and get emails on.

domain: gandi.net, namecheap.com
dns: dns.he.net, freedns.afraid.org, amazon route53
email: google apps

Bazanga posted:

Eventually, we might start hosting production sites but we will tackle that if/when it happens.

hosting serious business things on a goontastic shared hosting provider doesn't strike me as a brilliant plan

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Bazanga posted:

I recently got roped into working on a django project and we have been looking for a place to host it. I was checking out lithium hosting based on goon recommendations but they don't "officially" support django. Should this be a deal breaker for us? We really just need a domain to show off the project and get emails on.

Free EC2 micro or Heroku + some sort of free DNS and Google Apps for email.

edit: If you want to expand add more EC2 instances/Heroku workers, CDN, separate your Django servers/HTTP server/database, etc.

OnceIWasAnOstrich fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 10, 2012

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Rufo posted:

domain: gandi.net, namecheap.com
dns: dns.he.net, freedns.afraid.org, amazon route53
email: google apps

hosting serious business things on a goontastic shared hosting provider doesn't strike me as a brilliant plan

So there isn't really a solid path from shared to real serious business hosting for most providers? I was thinking that there might be a veritable service upgrade path from dinky demo site to decent business site from a single provider, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bazanga posted:

So there isn't really a solid path from shared to real serious business hosting for most providers? I was thinking that there might be a veritable service upgrade path from dinky demo site to decent business site from a single provider, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

They are completely opposites on the hosting spectrum

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Bazanga posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean with a 'business' site, but this is probably exactly what the 'cloud' (PAAS/IAAS) providers offer. You might pay a bit more for a basic web host, but you have basically a full virtual server and the ability to scale it quickly as your demands or traffic increase. If you're looking at any kind of database storage, this is far better than using some oversold MySQL instance on a webhost.

Of course, you'll need to know a bit about admin'ing a Linux/Windows web host, but it sounds like the way to go if you'll be hosting multiple sites for clients.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I saw something in SA Mart a few months ago about a goon hosting cheap online backup of files - like, if I wanted to backup my computer "to the cloud". Any idea who this was? I find myself wanting to do this but S3 is ... rather pricey.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

Bazanga posted:

You really don't want shared hosting for real business. You should look into a VPS or Dedicated Server and manage it yourself. Shared hosting is great for personal sites and projects.

Krakkles posted:

I saw something in SA Mart a few months ago about a goon hosting cheap online backup of files - like, if I wanted to backup my computer "to the cloud". Any idea who this was? I find myself wanting to do this but S3 is ... rather pricey.

It was resold LiveDrive. I can't speak for that goon or his business, but LiveDrive is a pile of poo poo and their customers service / support is horrible. I would never recommend anyone do business with them in a million years.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mooky posted:

It was resold LiveDrive. I can't speak for that goon or his business, but LiveDrive is a pile of poo poo and their customers service / support is horrible. I would never recommend anyone do business with them in a million years.

Is there a better alternative?

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

Krakkles posted:

Is there a better alternative?

I don't have any recommendations. I use dropbox for my files and Windows Home Server to backup my laptop in case I have to reload.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008
I find it pretty funny how unanimous the anti-shared hosting bias is in this hosting thread especially since the consistent suggestion is self-managed VPS or servers.

I know there are a ton of fly-by-night shared hosting providers out there, but all the goon run ones have been on that list for a long time.

The only time I would ever recommend someone to VPS or a dedicated server is if they either 1) are capable and willing to manage it themselves or 2) they're paying a lot extra for either a dedicated management company to take care of it or they're leasing it from a competent managed hosting provider like rackspace or something. I don't see a problem with people recommending against shared-hosting providers for business items (though the majority of the traffic on my servers is business -- perhaps I'm the exception), but to recommend an unmanaged VPS or server is foolish.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

optikalus posted:

I find it pretty funny how unanimous the anti-shared hosting bias is in this hosting thread especially since the consistent suggestion is self-managed VPS or servers.

It's probably because most people think DreamHost or HostGator and not something like ASmallOrange when they think 'shared host'.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I think a lot of it is just how cheap VPSes are and you can avoid a lot of headaches. Like Hostdime's shared hosting gives you 10 domains, but they only give you 32 megs of ram. So a few wordpress installs with even a few plugins can eat threw that pretty quick.

Getting a VPS just solves a lot of headaches. And using a fully managed host gives you the best of both.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I think the issue is that price based competition and overselling have driven prices for shared hosting down so much that anything else seems expensive, if only by comparison. $50 really isn't all that much for a managed VPS from liquidweb or wiredtree - if you're running a business site, paying $5/mo vs $50/mo shouldn't make or break your business model.

That said, as someone in the middle of launching a business, I do feel that there is a lack of options for small businesses between shared hosting and managed VPS. It's a price range that's currently occupied by unmanaged VPS, but small businesses may not need (or not know what to do with) that much control, and may prefer the familiarity of cpanel.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

optikalus posted:

I know there are a ton of fly-by-night shared hosting providers out there, but all the goon run ones have been on that list for a long time.

The only time I would ever recommend someone to VPS or a dedicated server is if they either 1) are capable and willing to manage it themselves or 2) they're paying a lot extra for either a dedicated management company to take care of it or they're leasing it from a competent managed hosting provider like rackspace or something. I don't see a problem with people recommending against shared-hosting providers for business items (though the majority of the traffic on my servers is business -- perhaps I'm the exception), but to recommend an unmanaged VPS or server is foolish.

If we're going goon run, apisnetworks was pretty nice and the custom setup wasn't awful.

I have an extreme hatred of stock cPanel providers because of how restrictive and horrible the control panel is.

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 29, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ichorclaw posted:

The owner of HostGator actually has a huge ownership stake in Small Orange so this is funny.

He's going for two different markets with two different products. What's funny?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

rawrr posted:

I think the issue is that price based competition and overselling have driven prices for shared hosting down so much that anything else seems expensive, if only by comparison. $50 really isn't all that much for a managed VPS from liquidweb or wiredtree - if you're running a business site, paying $5/mo vs $50/mo shouldn't make or break your business model.

That said, as someone in the middle of launching a business, I do feel that there is a lack of options for small businesses between shared hosting and managed VPS. It's a price range that's currently occupied by unmanaged VPS, but small businesses may not need (or not know what to do with) that much control, and may prefer the familiarity of cpanel.

What kind of price point are you thinking about here?

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 29, 2013

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

ichorclaw posted:

It's the exact same product.

Yes the exact same product with different a different attitude for the business, different management, different staff, different physical locations.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Can anyone point me towards a resource for learning how to configure MX records? I have a colo'd mini that I want to use as a mail server, but I'm not sure how to go about formatting the MX record. Thanks guys!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

wanderlost posted:

Can anyone point me towards a resource for learning how to configure MX records? I have a colo'd mini that I want to use as a mail server, but I'm not sure how to go about formatting the MX record. Thanks guys!

the format is like e.g. CNAME recs but has a number as well which is the relative priority (lower = more preferable) if you have more than one. if you don't, just put 10 or something it doesn't matter

e.g.

domain.com. MX 10 mail
domain.com. MX 10 mail.whatever.com.

works exactly like you'd expect with @origin and accepting mail to subdomains

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

wanderlost posted:

I was thinking about colo'ing a Mini. Mind talking about the price/services you're getting?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

wanderlost posted:

Though it's primarily for Postini, Google's documentation has some interesting information about MX records. http://www.google.com/support/enterprise/static/postini/docs/admin/en/activate/mx_faq.html

Otherwise what Rufo said is basically it, but here's the expanded version.

MX record values contain two things: The priority number and a hostname, in that order and separated by a space.

The priority number is an integer and determines which MX record should be tried first by whoever is sending you mail (1 has the highest priority, bigger numbers have lower priority). As the priority is relative, it doesn't matter what you put in as long as it's in the right order. Multiple MX records can share the same number, which means they're equally likely to be picked. If you only have one record, put whatever number you want and go hog wild.

The hostname cannot be an IP address. While it has to be the name of the server your mail should be sent to, if you use an outside spam filter -- like, hey, Postini -- your MX records will be what the service wants you to use. Hostnames, like in CNAME records, always end with a dot.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 13, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

dvgrhl posted:

The first steps in that guide are good. But for the firewall and fail2ban steps, I would skip those and install this if you're up to it http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html. It will manage the firewall and do everything fail2ban does and then some. If you did that, I would say you have a very secure server.

Is the default configuration for csf secure enough?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Anaxite posted:

The hostname cannot be an IP address.

also it cannot point to a CNAME, it has to point to a hostname which has an A and/or AAAA record itself

so don't do this:
dick.com. MX 20 mail.dick.com.
mail.dick.com. CNAME mail.balls.net.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Someone here said LiveDrive is bad, how do we feel about CrashPlan?

Or, again, alternatives?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I am fond of Crashplan.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DNova posted:

I am fond of Crashplan.
Good enough for me!

Now to find out how that unlimited plan handles a potential 6TB backup. :D

(Not really, just building a 6TB home server which will house irreplacable data (<6TB, certainly - probably <1TB for now, at least) and will then backup to CP.)

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I had crashplan for a while, worked well. Ended up cancelling it because if you move a bunch of files to another machine (that you are also backing up) you have to re-upload them again, which would take a thousand years.

Not exactly a gaping flaw in their system, but it didn't make sense for me to update all of my media and then immediately erase it from their servers in order to upload it again.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Good enough for me!

Now to find out how that unlimited plan handles a potential 6TB backup. :D

(Not really, just building a 6TB home server which will house irreplacable data (<6TB, certainly - probably <1TB for now, at least) and will then backup to CP.)

It's currently backing up the 2tb I've put on my 6tb server so far.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comradephate posted:

I had crashplan for a while, worked well. Ended up cancelling it because if you move a bunch of files to another machine (that you are also backing up) you have to re-upload them again, which would take a thousand years.

Not exactly a gaping flaw in their system, but it didn't make sense for me to update all of my media and then immediately erase it from their servers in order to upload it again.

You can adopt a backup set onto the new computer without re-uploading.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

DNova posted:

You can adopt a backup set onto the new computer without re-uploading.

Really? I even asked their support, and they said no. That's annoying.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comradephate posted:

Really? I even asked their support, and they said no. That's annoying.

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/recipe/adopting_another_computer

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Well that's cool. Thanks, I might have to pick that up again.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How's Mediatemple's shared hosting?

I have a Linode 512 but lately I'm starting to get tired of having to take care of the server, messing with config files to ensure it works under a high load, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

gmq posted:

How's Mediatemple's shared hosting?

I've been using it for about a year with no problems. There has been a little bit of down time, but nothing I would consider unacceptable. They're pretty transparent when they're having problems through Twitter or their system status site, so at least you know what's going on while your sites are down.