Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

And unrelated, but how come I can only get the 16 GB SIII on Amazon?
AFAIK you can only get the 32 GB model online or through telesales, right now at least. I'm not aware of them being in stores either. Actually, the only people I know who have them preordered them, and they came quite late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

You already can. No one really bothers to put any in for certification though.
You mean Verizon's Open Development initiative?

I don't know well it works in practice, but yeah, at least it exists. Thing is, there's not much of a market for unbranded CDMA phones in the US, and I'd guess that when Sprint commissions branded-CDMA devices they're not really interested in pursuing the certification.

The real prerequisites here are VoLTE on Verizon and LTE basebands that support a non-trivial number of LTE bands. Once that happens then the only limitation will be licensing/certification, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Edit: Also, "using unbranded devices" isn't the same thing as "using devices that are unbranded, but otherwise specifically certified for use on Verizon's network."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think the problem for me (in Omaha at least) is GSM is pretty much non-existent here. T-Mobile doesn't work and AT&T is also awful.

I think the main choices are Cricket, Boost, Virgin Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon.

I suspect that's probably why some people don't buy GSM phones in some places as well.

Also Sprint's the only unlimited carrier.

If T-Mobile worked up here, I would switch to them in a heartbeat. They were the first carrier I ever had (this was like 10 years ago), and their CS was loving amazing. 24-hr service with knowledgeable operators. Move up here, get loving Alltel because my entire family had it. Alltel gets bought by VZW and by that time Verizon had earned a reputation in my book, that being "Comcast Mobile."

AT&T can eat a trashbag full o' dicks and T-Mo isn't really extant up here. That leaves a choice between URETHRA FULL OF RAZORSVerizon and Sprint. Since I use Rdio/Google Music/other streaming services like SomaFM as car radio, and frequently update podcasts over 3G, Verizon would be after me with a squad of Russian paramilitary hitmen within weeks.

So Sprint it is. As much as I'd like to see an unlimited data GSM carrier, the situation w.r.t comms infrastructure in this country has effectively guaranteed that there will never be another ISP or mobile carrier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

You mean Verizon's Open Development initiative?

I don't know well it works in practice, but yeah, at least it exists.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. It apparently works well enough, I think a lot of embedded stuff goes through the program. Only one phone I know of ever went through (and the name of it escapes me at the moment.)

I don't know of any reason why a big phone manufacturer couldn't use this to get a phone on Verizon's network and otherwise keep it clear from their influence other than the lack of market for unsubsidized devices.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I don't know of any reason why a big phone manufacturer couldn't use this to get a phone on Verizon's network and otherwise keep it clear from their influence other than the lack of market for unsubsidized devices.
Well that's exactly the problem. There is zero market for unsubsidized, "unlocked" CDMA phones in the US market that effectively only work on Verizon.

I guess my point is, there's huge value in consumers being able to take technologically-compatible devices to the Verizon (or Sprint, or whomever's) network without the manufacture having to seek certification that explicitly blesses the device for that purpose. Because some number of folks will want to do the former, nobody will do the latter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They don't have to ONLY work on Verizon now though. My Razr will work perfectly fine on T-Mobile and AT&T if the right software is loaded on it. It's a global device as well as being a CDMA device.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Do you disagree that there's value in consumers being able to take a technologically-compatible device to Verizon and use it on their future VoLTE service, with nothing more than a SIM swap?

Do you disagree that there's value in consumers being able to take a technologically-compatible device to any carrier--even those that don't have Open Development programs--to use on their future VoLTE service, with nothing more than a SIM swap?

It's great that Verizon has an Open Development program. But there will always be phones that are technologically-compatible with Verizon's future service that won't be certified through it, because the manufacture won't care or is otherwise forbidden from it by producing a branded-device under contract for another carrier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just not seeing how the 700 MHz open-access requirements are going to change one drat thing. It's already technologically possible for someone to build ONE handset that will work on all 4 of the major carriers, but the only one who has done so is Apple and even they only doing it out of manufacturing convenience rather than portability.

It's all moot anyways. Two things have to happen for the 700 mhz open-access requirement to make any difference.

1) VoLTE has to be in wide enough deployment for any network you want to use this handset on since it can't fall back to legacy networks for voice.

2) Frequencies have to be compatible.

Both of those are large enough obstacles to basically make this a pipe dream.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just not seeing how the 700 MHz open-access requirements are going to change one drat thing.
Sometime between 5-10 years from now, at least the top three US nationwide carriers will be offering VoLTE service and there will exist phones that no longer need to operate on legacy protocols. There will also be LTE basebands that support at least one, if not all the LTE bands of each major network.

Thus, the only barrier to consumers taking a device from AT&T to Verizon, or Sprint, or whatever, is going to be whether the carrier is willing to light up that device. That's the benefit of the 700 MHz open access provision, if only it could apply to more than the 700 MHz band.

The problem with an opt-in certification process is that manufacturers making carrier-branded devices simply won't do it.

bull3964 posted:

2) Frequencies have to be compatible.
From Qualcomm at work on chip to support multiple 700 MHz bands:

FierceWireless posted:

In its filing, Qualcomm said it has accelerated development of its next generation RF chip, the WTR1605L, which it said will support a total of seven frequency bands--three below 1 GHz, three higher bands, and one very high band (such as 2.5 GHz).

bull3964 posted:

1) VoLTE has to be in wide enough deployment for any network you want to use this handset on since it can't fall back to legacy networks for voice.

Both of those are large enough obstacles to basically make this a pipe dream.
Are you seriously suggesting this will never happen? The world is transitioning to LTE. It's not a matter of if, but when. Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint are all firmly on the LTE bandwagon. They need to move legacy services to LTE sooner or later to recoup bandwith lost to legacy networks. They need to do this to offer high-bandwidth data services across all of their licensed spectrum. They need to that to remain competitive with each other.

The "pipedream" is whether the 700 MHz Open Access requirements will be honored.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AT&T is on the LTE bandwagon, but their commitment is...lacking.

So far, AT&T has ONLY committed to giving LTE to current HSPA+ areas. They have never given indication that their plan is to completely replace their GSM network with LTE. There are still MANY places on AT&T where you are punted down to EDGE.

I'm just not seeing an LTE only phone as being completely viable on AT&Ts network in the next 5-10 years, nor do I see it being viable on T-Mobile either.

Actually, I could almost see Sprint and T-Mobile merging in the next 10 years and that will likely put off complete network conversions for their footprints by a few years.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

AFAIK you can only get the 32 GB model online or through telesales, right now at least. I'm not aware of them being in stores either. Actually, the only people I know who have them preordered them, and they came quite late.

But Amazon IS online...:confused:

I know what you mean.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

EVO trip report:

I've only had the phone 4 days and already the Sense multitasking (or lack of) is driving me crazy. Leaving the apps or the browser to send a text message causes the app or browser to have to be reloaded when returning to it. It really is as bad as it has been characterized as. Luckily, rooting it was as simple as a click of a button and now I'm going to try a couple custom Roms because what the gently caress HTC?

Keep us posted on how the custom ROM's work out on this phone as it is the biggest thing keeping me from just buying a nexus. My mom and brother have the EVO4GLTE and its pretty darn nice from the hardware perspective, particularly when you compare it side-by-side with the GNEX.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

DrBouvenstein posted:

GSM coverage where I live is ok, but Verizon's is the best by a mile...though I'm on Sprint, so...whoops!

But I can roam on theirs if I get no Sprint signal...though I wish there was a way to force it to roam if I have a crummy signal.
Have you tried Roam Control?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

But Amazon IS online...:confused:

I know what you mean.

If you want the 32GB let me know, last I checked its back ordered but I have access to sprints business portal, which gets handsets first availability wise. I ll

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want the 32GB let me know, last I checked its back ordered but I have access to sprints business portal, which gets handsets first availability wise. I ll

How much does a used Galaxy Nexus go for? I'm thinking of nabbing one for my birthday or something.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
I'm planning on dropping from my parents plan (well they're kicking me off) in the next few weeks and we've been month-to-month with Sprint for the past 4 years or so. What are the chances of me convincing Sprint to match what I would be paying by hopping on a family plan with my friends that are on AT&T?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

William Munny posted:

I'm planning on dropping from my parents plan (well they're kicking me off) in the next few weeks and we've been month-to-month with Sprint for the past 4 years or so. What are the chances of me convincing Sprint to match what I would be paying by hopping on a family plan with my friends that are on AT&T?

Phone companies don't price match, they just talk about what features you get and why their plan is better. What are you looking for, I could tell you what you would get? But yeah, especially if you want data don't expect sprint to discount anything more than what normal people get. That gravy train is long gone.

And a used GNex goes for like, $250 to $300, $350 at the most.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks like Jelly Bean is officially out, which means that the Evo3D, last year's flagship phone for Sprint, is now two major versions behind. I never expected an update, but this is pretty funny.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

Duckman2008 posted:

Phone companies don't price match, they just talk about what features you get and why their plan is better. What are you looking for, I could tell you what you would get? But yeah, especially if you want data don't expect sprint to discount anything more than what normal people get. That gravy train is long gone.

And a used GNex goes for like, $250 to $300, $350 at the most.

I'm planning on getting an iPhone4s. With the lowest # of minutes on ATT+data+texting, split 3 ways it would come to 62 a month. From what I can tell with sprint I'm looking at a min. of $80 a month for a comparable plan if I were to go solo with them.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Looks like Jelly Bean is officially out, which means that the Evo3D, last year's flagship phone for Sprint, is now two major versions behind. I never expected an update, but this is pretty funny.

Speaking of which, I'm tired of waiting, so I finally got around to rooting my Evo 3D and flashing Meanrom ICS the other day. I used this guide for newbies which was infinitely more helpful than anything I found at xda. Now I'm only one version out-of-date! :v:

Does anyone here have any other recommendations for a good stable ROM?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

William Munny posted:

I'm planning on getting an iPhone4s. With the lowest # of minutes on ATT+data+texting, split 3 ways it would come to 62 a month. From what I can tell with sprint I'm looking at a min. of $80 a month for a comparable plan if I were to go solo with them.

Oh, we'll yeah, a 3 line shared plan split evenly will always be cheaper than an individual plan. You could just pay the same split staying with your parents plan, otherwise yeah, no telecom company would match that. A sprint company discount of 23% can get you to about $65 plus tax, so if you work for a hospital or UPS or something you could get close.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches
I had just broke down waiting for ICS and was going to look for a root & rom solution on the GSII Epic 4G Touch when Google pointed me at this article which has a supposed Sprint screen grab stating it will be released starting this Thursday, 7/12.

Guess I can wait a couple more days to see if that pans out or not.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Encor3 posted:

I had just broke down waiting for ICS and was going to look for a root & rom solution on the GSII Epic 4G Touch when Google pointed me at this article which has a supposed Sprint screen grab stating it will be released starting this Thursday, 7/12.

Guess I can wait a couple more days to see if that pans out or not.

Hey remember that time Sprint rolled out an update on time?

Yeah me neither.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?
I'm sick of my Evo3D, even with running MeanROM ICS on it. Is Sprint still giving people the option to "buy out" their contract to get their upgrade pricing? I really want a Galaxy Nexus.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I bought my evo3d and signed a 2 year contract right when it came out and my ETF is only about 100 bucks now. I'd just buy the contract out and move carriers/get a gnex (which is exactly what I'm doing).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The Entire Universe posted:

Hey remember that time Sprint rolled out an update on time?

Yeah me neither.

The EVO 4G got 2.2 pretty drat quick.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

Smeed posted:

I bought my evo3d and signed a 2 year contract right when it came out and my ETF is only about 100 bucks now. I'd just buy the contract out and move carriers/get a gnex (which is exactly what I'm doing).

As much as I would love to switch carriers, my wife and best friend are also on my account. We all got Evo3D's when they came out. Neither of them are especially "techie", so they are fine with their phones, and still in contract for a little under a year. Also, my wife wants to go back to an iPhone eventually, and at this point Sprint is the only one offering it with unlimited Data.

I am aggravated by Sprint/HTC basically ignoring my phone, and carrier/manufacturer fragmentation on non Nexus Androids. Because of CDMA, they still manage to hold up updates to the Nexus phones for a while. I'd love to switch to tmobile's pay as you go, and buy the Nexus Galaxy from the Google Play Store. That said, we are getting a pretty decent deal with sprint, at about $150 per month after my company discount for 3 lines, and then my job pays me a stipend that covers more than my 1/3 of the bill.

I guess another question would be if there is anywhere reputable to buy an out of contract Galaxy Nexus (new or like new), for less than what Sprint asks for it ($550). Used ones seem to go for right at $400, Sprint sells them for $150 after contract, and Google can afford to sell the non CDMA version for $400. There has to be a break somewhere on the CDMA version.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Google can only sell them that cheap because they make money through the app store.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Encor3 posted:

For what it's worth, Samsung just posted the (long awaited) ICS kernel sources for the E4GT. Interestingly enough, the build it's listed for is FF18, which leaked out quite some time ago and folks had speculated would be the final build anyways. So if you have, or decide to install FF18 from xda now, that is ICS final.

Even better news is that with kernel sources available, the E4GT can now be a candidate as an official CM9 device.

Edit: "Suck it HTC"?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Keep us posted on how the custom ROM's work out on this phone as it is the biggest thing keeping me from just buying a nexus. My mom and brother have the EVO4GLTE and its pretty darn nice from the hardware perspective, particularly when you compare it side-by-side with the GNEX.

The hardware on the EVO4GT is pretty amazing, and it's why I picked the phone despite the non-removable battery and the awful Sense skin. Sense 4 may be an improvement over the past Sense skins, but it's still Sense and it sucks a big one. It looks and feels like Gingerbread, and I have no idea why they did that.

Rooting the EVO is really easy using this method - basically one click root:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1690919

I'm running MeanROM ICS right now which does help fix some of the flaws in Sense, but it's still a Sense rom and while the multi-tasking is better than stock, it still feels like it kills off apps way too fast. With MeanROM, I clocked 5194 in Quadrant.

Hopefully they get the source code soon because all the roms out now are basically touch-ups and not rewrites. I can't wait until there's a stock ICS rom or even a CM9 port. ICS is just so drat good, I can't understand all the fuckery that the phone manufacturers are doing. Sense 4 shits all over all the good parts of ICS and it boggles the loving mind. Have I really emphasized how awful Sense 4 is yet? Because god drat.

If the Gnex wasn't so out-dated, it would've been a no brainer for me.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 11, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

If the Gnex wasn't so out-dated, it would've been a no brainer for me.

Pretty much this. Thanks for the info.

Well, I've still got a month or so to switch over so I'm in no rush. My OG EVO is still chugging along with CM7. Data speeds are very bad out here though and it seems to have gotten worse over the last few months (Wash DC area).

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

AndroidPolice is reporting an Evo LTE update today to fix several known issues
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...f-other-things/

Changelog:

quote:

This update addresses:

Google security updates
Wifi disconnect issue
Time zone issue
Google Wallet fix
Side loaded video pause issue
Random power cycling issue
Pioneer Bluetooth Car Kit connection issu
Gallery app crash
Calendar reminder (all day even time) issue
I've definitely been seeing Wifi disconnect and time zone issues. Not sure if I've run into some of the others. Hopefully a rooted version shows up on xda soon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How much does it cost to get the Nexus S 4G's vibration motor to be fixed? Or should I just go to Sprint and see if they'll replace the phone for $37?

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Duckman2008 posted:

So pretty much I shouldn't waste my time calling Retentions and just switch carriers? I was briefly toying with the idea of seeing if I could get a discount out of them to stick around and grab a SGIII or Evo LTE over the Nexus because of the better cameras. If not, I'll just eat the poo poo camera of the Nexus and bail to a prepaid carrier.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

JAF07 posted:

So pretty much I shouldn't waste my time calling Retentions and just switch carriers? I was briefly toying with the idea of seeing if I could get a discount out of them to stick around and grab a SGIII or Evo LTE over the Nexus because of the better cameras. If not, I'll just eat the poo poo camera of the Nexus and bail to a prepaid carrier.

Personal opinion, but I wouldn't decide a phone plan based just on camera.

And yeah, pretty spot on. Sprint used to give away the house to anyone who asked, but as a result of so many people asking they won't give away anything. Nothing wrong with prepaid, straight Talk will always be cheaper than sprint.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Duckman2008 posted:

Personal opinion, but I wouldn't decide a phone plan based just on camera.

And yeah, pretty spot on. Sprint used to give away the house to anyone who asked, but as a result of so many people asking they won't give away anything. Nothing wrong with prepaid, straight Talk will always be cheaper than sprint.

I really wasn't--I'd only consider getting the Evo or SGIII if Sprint cut me some sort of deal, and even then that was iffy. My market probably won't see Sprint LTE until 2014, so it's really not worth it to pay the extra money for Sprint when I rarely come close to using 2GB of data a month. Nexus and prepaid it is!

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Kind of a dumb question, but I figured I'd ask anyway. My contract expires in October and I want to put my account on hold in February since I'll be overseas for approximately a year and won't be able to use a cell phone. Will Sprint be able to do this without me signing a new contract? Or will I have to sign on for another 2 years (and have to use my upgrade) and come back to the US with a year old phone? Sorry if the answer is obvious, I've just never had to deal with this while being out of contract.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
You can do that. Once your 2-year contract is up, you automatically go on a "month-to-mouth" plan (provided you don't buy a new, subsidized, phone.) So you could then cancel it in February no problem.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
It may be best if you port your number to Google voice. Then you can respond to voice mails and you won't have to worry about contracts or anything for the year you are away. Seasonal suspension doesn't go a whole year only military deployment can have a line suspended for that long so if you keep your line with Sprint you will pay full price for a portion of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Thanks for clarifying this for me guys. I probably should have mentioned that this:

Giblet posted:

...only military deployment can have a line suspended for that long...
is exactly my situation, I just didn't think it was any different for military when it came to doing a suspension. Good to know.