Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Nilbop posted:

PS Dear Pete please shoot some movies in Ulster love Nilbop
They were actually going to before things got sorted out in NZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

WebDog posted:

I know. I have a few actor friends who were super psyched for it, and then crushed when New Zealand was finally chosen, as much sense as it made.

They all ended up getting extra roles in GoT though so it's all good.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Beardless posted:

... Or he could move to, y'know, New Zealand. Where the movie we're actually talking about is being filmed.

Edit: I don't mean to be a douche, Ireland is beautiful, but your comment kind of confused me.

There's a particularly rich Irish green, though... as a Kiwi it blew me away when I visited my own ancestral boghole down in Kerry (actually a lovely little valley).

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

WebDog posted:

There was never any chance of them not shooting in NZ though.

All this talk of taking it to Ireland or Eastern Europe was just part of Warner Bros' sabre-rattling in the wake of the actor's union debacle, in order to coerce a better deal out of the NZ government.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Nice banner released (click to embiggen)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bioalchemist posted:

Nice banner released (click to embiggen)

Could you possibly have picked a worse image host? The pop-under with the auto-play news broadcast was icing on the shitcake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Oh gently caress yes.

That is really poorly put together, but goddamn does it look exactly like The Hobbit.

e: Though I think that looks pretty definitively like the plot of the first film in a linear way. I think we can assume it ends in about the same place as the film will.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 9, 2012

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Erwin posted:

Could you possibly have picked a worse image host? The pop-under with the auto-play news broadcast was icing on the shitcake.

lol imgur was taking about 5 min to upload the image so I googled for an alternative and just clicked on one.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

I think it came from here (with magnifier thingy)

http://www.ew.com/ew/special/0,,20399642_20610399,00.html

The wargs look a bit more wolfy this time around, and I'm liking the first look of Beorn (in bear mode).

EDIT: this is the highest res version I can find (equivalent to the magnified version in the link above):

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/07/09/the-hobbit-scroll/HOBBIT-SCROLL_6000.jpg

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 9, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Beorn! All right, and I presume the giant pot is from the trolls scene, and there's Gollum and Rivendell and the forest fire and and the barrels and and and :neckbeard:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Yay, glad to see the Wargs looking like they should and not like mutated hyenas. And Beorn! Looks like he's got some odd people hair thing going, but it could just be a weird angle.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm assuming that's Radagast standing serenely in front of that bear. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they deal with Radagast.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

boogs posted:

I'm assuming that's Radagast standing serenely in front of that bear. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they deal with Radagast.

It's Gandalf. That's clearly his hat and staff, so...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay good I didn't want to say anything since it has been a real long time since I read the Hobbit but what the gently caress is that bear about? I don't remember a bear.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kiimo posted:

Okay good I didn't want to say anything since it has been a real long time since I read the Hobbit but what the gently caress is that bear about? I don't remember a bear.

That's Beorn, the shape-shifting werebear man who lives out in the middle of nowhere and doesn't like visitors. There's a very amusing scene in the book where Gandalf has to figure out how to get Beorn to happily welcome A LOT of dwarves and a hobbit to spend the night at his house.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I guess we now know exactly where film 1 will end :v:

That's a great image though, thanks for posting it!

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Lightsabres!? Awesome! I didn't know Bilbo had the Force. Makes sense though.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Wank posted:

It's sting, it glows blue when there are Orcs around, though that picture does make it seem a little too bright.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Wank posted:

:ssh: Sting Glows Blue when Orcs are near :ssh:

Shifter
Nov 28, 2003
I owe Crowley a beer!
Not sold on that Gandalf poster, it's a terrible piece of photoshop composition and it looks plain weird. The most memorable illustrations of Gandalf pacing through the Shire are fast-paced and over the shoulder scenes of a man with a plan. This looks like a man soliciting his victorian ankle for spare change.

To seal my fate as an angry raging nerd, his hat should be blue. They bothered to weave that bit of the description from the Hobbit
into the first scenes of LOTR, so it would seem reasonable they stuck to that.

Eh, it's a teaser poster. I'm probably nitpicking.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

:ssh: Sting Glows Blue when Orcs are near :ssh:

It shouldn't do that in the forest amidst the spiders, though, should it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

arioch posted:

Maybe Saruman made Arach-Hai!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I wish we had a YOSPOS Nice! button in every forum for posts like this. :lol:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Troll statues from Comic Con:

A clearer confirmation of what we can already (just about) see from the trailer; the trolls are identical to the LotR designs (apart from the faces, but the statues are keeping these hidden for now).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think we've ever seen Sting or Glamdring drawn in the presence of Uruk Hai either.

Also:

Nice!

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

arioch posted:

I don't think we've ever seen Sting or Glamdring drawn in the presence of Uruk Hai either.
String glows when Frodo offers the ring to Aragorn at Amon Hen, warning them of the approaching Uruk Hai.

(:goonsay:)

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

arioch posted:

It's an interesting point. Sting (along with Orcrist and Glamdring) were forged in Gondolin, which was but a stone's throw away from Ered Gorgoroth, home to Ungoliant's children (buttloads of giant spiders). In fact, Sting was forged to have special powers against giant spiders, although it was never said whether this included glowing in their presence, or indeed whether or not Orcrist and Glamdring also had +1's (or whatever) against arachnids...

It will be interesting to see how PJ interprets this.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Erwin posted:

String glows when Frodo offers the ring to Aragorn at Amon Hen, warning them of the approaching Uruk Hai.

(:goonsay:)

Oops.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

It's an interesting point. Sting (along with Orcrist and Glamdring) were forged in Gondolin, which was but a stone's throw away from Ered Gorgoroth, home to Ungoliant's children (buttloads of giant spiders). In fact, Sting was forged to have special powers against giant spiders, although it was never said whether this included glowing in their presence, or indeed whether or not Orcrist and Glamdring also had +1's (or whatever) against arachnids...

It will be interesting to see how PJ interprets this.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Sting posted:

Sting also glowed in the presence of the giant spider descendants of Ungoliant, such as the spiders of Mirkwood and Shelob.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

But it wasn't glowing in the presence of Shelob in the movie. Time for Return of the King: The Extended Special Edition! :ohdear:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Ash1138 posted:

But it wasn't glowing in the presence of Shelob in the movie. Time for Return of the King: The Extended Special Edition! :ohdear:
Sam didn't know where the "on" switch was.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
What kind of presence will The Hobbit have at comic-con? Any chance of a new trailer?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Trump posted:

What kind of presence will The Hobbit have at comic-con? Any chance of a new trailer?

No new trailer but there will be footage. The "reel" will be shown in 2D and at 24fps, as a reaction to the negative comments on 48fps from the CinemaCon presentation.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/07/11/the-hobbit-at-comic-con-peter-jacksons-san-diego-plan/

Peter Jackson posted:

We are also using extensive parts of the appendices which were published at the end of “Return of the King.” This is not just ”The Hobbit” — it’s “The Hobbit” set in a much greater context of events taking place throughout Middle-earth during this period. The material is so rich. In fact only this last week or two, we’ve been talking to the studio about allowing us to shoot some additional material next year, to fully complete the story.

(from the above link) Still finding more Tolkien to film? Don't mind if I do.

Also, trolls:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 12, 2012

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

No new trailer but there will be footage. The "reel" will be shown in 2D and at 24fps, as a reaction to the negative comments on 48fps from the CinemaCon presentation.

Cool, thanks. I wonder how much of this choice was really PJs and how much was the studio wanting to avoid the backlash? He seemed to be 100% dedicated to 48fps up untill now.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Trump posted:

Cool, thanks. I wonder how much of this choice was really PJs and how much was the studio wanting to avoid the backlash? He seemed to be 100% dedicated to 48fps up untill now.

Probably studio - I agree with them though, the negative reactions to the tech totally drowned out the positive reactions to the actual content, so all the media latched onto was a bunch of negative whining about 48fps. With that out of the equation, they can talk about the good stuff for a change.

Ironza
Jul 10, 2012

We'll bang, OK?

Probably studio - I agree with them though, the negative reactions to the tech totally drowned out the positive reactions to the actual content, so all the media latched onto was a bunch of negative whining about 48fps. With that out of the equation, they can talk about the good stuff for a change.

I imagined this would be the case when I originally heard they would filming in 48fps as well as the industry standard.

I wouldn't be suprised if they released it in both 28/48 at major cinemas and hopefully they do the same when it's released on blue-ray/dvd.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Ironza posted:

I imagined this would be the case when I originally heard they would filming in 48fps as well as the industry standard.

I wouldn't be suprised if they released it in both 28/48 at major cinemas and hopefully they do the same when it's released on blue-ray/dvd.

It was very loudly publicized after the previously mentioned backlash, that it will be released in both 24 and 48 fps version, in both 2D and 3D.

And I'm pretty sure it's only filmed at 48fps, though I don't know what they'll do about the lack of motion blur when it's converted to 24fps.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Trump posted:

And I'm pretty sure it's only filmed at 48fps, though I don't know what they'll do about the lack of motion blur when it's converted to 24fps.

Rewatch the trailer to see what it will look like at 24.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I did a bit of Googling and could not find any 48fps footage of the movie, in a clip or trailer. Or was I being dumb and that doesn't exist online?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^^ Nope. They've stated that they won't be releasing any of the 48fps footage prior to the film's actual release. You can find examples of 48fps footage online, but I've seen no such examples which also match the unique shutter solution being used on The Hobbit. ^^^^

Trump posted:

It was very loudly publicized after the previously mentioned backlash, that it will be released in both 24 and 48 fps version, in both 2D and 3D.

Jackson and Lesnie chose to shoot 48fps with a 270 degree shutter, which doesn't seem like it would be the best fit for normal motion at 48fps... but I haven't actually shot any tests for that kind of motion, so my take is theoretical. Shooting with that angle does have one obvious advantage though: 24fps playback will have motion blur which is almost identical to footage shot natively at 24fps with the standard 180 degree shutter.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Some arse-slappingly good close-ups of the troll's faces here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56942

• Locked thread