Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I saw this in the Lego thread in DIY. Want.

Click here to view the full image

It was shown at Comic-Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Some arse-slappingly good close-ups of the troll's faces here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56942

I'm not sure I like how the trolls look just like the ones in lord of the rings. Presumably, unless PJ deviated from the book completely, the scene with the trolls talking will be in the movie. The trolls in LOTOR grunt and act very animalistic, whereas the trolls in The Hobbit are supposed to be at least somewhat intelligent rather than basically mindless beasts. Also they are supposed to be a different kind of troll than the ones in LOTOR, but that's just me being a sperg. I think the main thing for me is it will seem a bit strange how dumb the trolls in LOTOR seem after seeing talking ones in the Hobbit, and potentially jarring to a viewer unaquainted with the books.

e: Also for a site that's been around for years and presumably makes a fair amount of money good lord is the layout of aintitcool hideous

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Vigilance posted:

I'm not sure I like how the trolls look just like the ones in lord of the rings. Presumably, unless PJ deviated from the book completely, the scene with the trolls talking will be in the movie. The trolls in LOTOR grunt and act very animalistic, whereas the trolls in The Hobbit are supposed to be at least somewhat intelligent rather than basically mindless beasts. Also they are supposed to be a different kind of troll than the ones in LOTOR, but that's just me being a sperg. I think the main thing for me is it will seem a bit strange how dumb the trolls in LOTOR seem after seeing talking ones in the Hobbit, and potentially jarring to a viewer unaquainted with the books.

e: Also for a site that's been around for years and presumably makes a fair amount of money good lord is the layout of aintitcool hideous

They showed the petrified trolls in FOTR, so they can't deviate too much, but the faces clearly has more character in those photos than they did in FOTR, so they did what they could. Also the fact they are a different kind could explain why the trolls in The Hobbit are smarter, simply explained by a throw away line somewhere.

It's atrocious that AICN is still putting up 640×400 pictures in 2012. Everything about that site is horrible, except their behind the scenes feature.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The only trolls that they look like in Lord of the Rings were the ones that were statues, which is exactly the same ones these are. All the living trolls we saw in those movies were the noseless cave trolls, which are different from these guys that have noses, ears, and even beards it looks like.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img29/8114/cavetroll.jpg

The cave troll. These are the guys we saw in motion in Moria and during the Siege of Gondor.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img502/8696/stonetrolls.jpg

A figure recreation of "Mr. Bilbo's trolls", which we saw in the Fellowship film.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Ok, word coming out of Comic-con, is that the Wargs will speak to each other (albeit in a made-up guttural language) - ok not really a spoiler if you've read the book, but let's be honest, all bets were off as to whether that detail would be included in the film. Also, the chief of the wargs will be a giant white wolf.

Additionally, Bifur will speak only in Khuzdûl, because his special injury has affected his language skills apparently

http://www.elendilion.pl/2012/07/13/g-i-p-report-dwalins-runes-orkrist-thranduil-and-wargs/

See the above link for this info, as well as some über-spergy attention to detail with the Dwarven runes on weapons.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 13, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

On the back of PJ's recent statement that he's planning to shoot more footage next year, apparently a reporter in Comic-con just asked him whether this is for a third film, and PJ kind of skirted around the subject without giving a yes or a no! (This is despite Warner Bros denying this rumour a couple of days ago) I'm currently looking for a solid reference for this amusing new info...

http://www.scribblelive.com/Event/The_Hobbit_Movie_from_Comic-Con_2012/34949482

Quickbeam posted:

Greetings! Quickbeam here --We just talked to Peter Jackson at the press line, and he said he greatly desires to go back to film more in Middle-earth that may or may not be for home video extended editions, which were a given for the expectations of most fans, but the *really* exciting possibility of a THIRD Hobbit film is also on his mind - and he admitted it! Although he wouldn't outright commit to saying "Yes, I'm doing a 3rd film," he did NOT close the door completely, saying: "There's much more material from the Appendices of LOTR that we didn't fit in." Speculate as you will, but there is at least an outside chance this hypothetical talk could come true. Much too hasty,QuikbeamClifford BroadwayFollow me on Twitter @Quickbeam2000.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 14, 2012

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I'd say there's no way he's gonna do a third film. I mean, we know the first one is gonna take us all the way to the barrel riding into long lake, so I can't image the second film will be lacking material, but a third film would have to stretch that material out quite a bit, even with the additional stuff from the appendixes.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
For anyone interested, the Comic-con panel will be live blogged at comingsoon.net soon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92534

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Trump posted:

For anyone interested, the Comic-con panel will be live blogged at comingsoon.net soon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92534

cheers, that was awesome.

here's an interesting video interview with PJ and cast:
http://youtu.be/PSgSZHW0q-0

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Here's a pretty detailed description of the footage that was shown:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07/14/59080-the-hobbitcon-hall-h-presentation-torn-round-up-part-one/#more-59080

I just want to say - yay for Stone Giants!!! these are actually creatures made from stone according to hollywood.com

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Trump posted:

And I'm pretty sure it's only filmed at 48fps, though I don't know what they'll do about the lack of motion blur when it's converted to 24fps.

Rewatch the trailer to see what it will look like at 24.

This is correct. The film is shot at 48fps, but they have software add in motion blur as needed for 24fps conversion. It's very convincingly natural at 24fps as evidenced by all the internet trailers we've seen which are 48fps converted to 24fps.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

...but they have software add in motion blur as needed for 24fps conversion.

Umm, nope. 48fps at a 270 shutter wouldn't need digital motion blur in the vast majority of situations. Adding digital motion blur isn't that easy, and doing it for an entire feature is not realistic. Maybe there's a handful of shots with unusual motion that needed some cleaning, but it's not like they're slapping a filter over the entire film. Most of the time 48fps at 270 will look very close to native 24fps at 180 after you drop frames.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So is there any chance PJ will upload the Comic-Con footage? Or is it strictly for those who got to go?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bugblatter posted:

Umm, nope. 48fps at a 270 shutter wouldn't need digital motion blur in the vast majority of situations. Adding digital motion blur isn't that easy, and doing it for an entire feature is not realistic. Maybe there's a handful of shots with unusual motion that needed some cleaning, but it's not like they're slapping a filter over the entire film. Most of the time 48fps at 270 will look very close to native 24fps at 180 after you drop frames.

Hmm. I saw some tech demos by Douglas Trumbull where he was showing high fps footage and it said it had software to easily convert motion blur depending on what the final output would be. If Hobbit isn't using that system, I stand corrected!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm. I saw some tech demos by Douglas Trumbull where he was showing high fps footage and it said it had software to easily convert motion blur depending on what the final output would be. If Hobbit isn't using that system, I stand corrected!

Showscan Digital? That's a 120fps format with a 360 degree shutter and a resolution equivalent to 65mm film. The final playback mixes frame-rates between 24 and 60 within the same frame, as is appropriate for different kinds of motion. So, people talking will still have the solidity of 24fps, but rapid motion, like in a car chase or fight sequence, has the clarity of 30fps, 48fps, or 60fps (Whichever is appropriate for the speed of motion). The blur information for the lower frame-rate segment of the frame is easily derived from the massive amounts of motion information gathered from the initial 120fps capture.

The key is the 120fps acquisition, which was selected because it was the minimum fps needed to provide enough information for automatic motion-blur generation (It's just frame-blending with a clever algorithm). They could have just gone with 60fps if all they wanted was crystal clear movement, but the same downsampling trick doesn't work with 60fps (and especially not with 48fps).

Finally, most of Showscan Digital's technology is several years away from being viable for use in a feature production, and Douglas Trumble is (as always) operating on a level far beyond his competitors. It's certainly exciting tech though.

The Hobbit is using a much simpler solution (the only one which is really available with current tech). Since going from 48fps to 24fps cuts your motion information in half, they're roughly doubling each frame's exposure time. As a result 24fps will look natural... the question is, what will 48fps look like? By conventional reasoning, they're moving the shutter the wrong way, as there will be excessive blur when the film is displayed at its native frame-rate.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 16, 2012

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Ash1138 posted:

But it wasn't glowing in the presence of Shelob in the movie. Time for Return of the King: The Extended Special Edition! :ohdear:

Not like Gandalf's sword glowed in the movie either :colbert:

Now I want a hobbit to defeat trolls in a children's card game. It's the new riddling game!

keet fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 16, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Octy posted:

So is there any chance PJ will upload the Comic-Con footage? Or is it strictly for those who got to go?

Annoyingly, I don't think so. However, there is the non-footage part freely available which can be found here:
http://youtu.be/6N9fDM5TEUc

There have however, been a lot of detailed transcripts of the dialogue from the Hobbit footage on various media sites, which leads me to believe that unless people merely got away with recording just the audio, then cheeky video recordings of the footage do exist and are being held back for legal reasons (but hopefully we might see a leak at some point).

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/peter-jackson-talks-the-hobbit-at-comic-con

quote:

Discusses possibility of a third movie

By George Wales

The Hobbit's panel at Comic-Con saw Peter Jackson and several key members of his cast discussing everything from 3D to the relative merits of Gandalf the Grey vs. Gandalf the White. However, the most interesting snippet was Jackson's confirmation that a third film is something he's keen to explore…

"We have got incredible source material with the appendices," says Jackson. "There’s the novel, but then we also have the rights to use the 125 pages of additional notes where Tolkien expanded the world of The Hobbit. I've been talking to the studio about other things that we haven’t been able to shoot and seeing if we could possibly persuade them to do a few more weeks of shooting."

"We’d probably need more than a few weeks, actually, next year," he continues. "The discussions are pretty early, so there isn’t anything to report, but there are other parts of the story that we’d like to tell, that we haven’t had the chance to tell yet. We’re just trying to have those conversations with the studio, at the moment."

To be perfectly honest, unless The Hobbit should prove to be an unexpected flop (and the chances of that would seem remote in the extreme) we can't see New Line saying no to another Middle-earth film, should Jackson settle upon another element of the story he wants to tell. After all, the original trilogy made more than a few quid at the box office…

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens in the UK on 14 December 2012. And for the record, both Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen prefer Gandalf the Grey...

Filming a 125 pages of additional notes which we haven't read makes me think of the notes-to-movie problems with Silmarillion even though this is during the same timeline, most likely more consistent, and probably with some of the same characters. However, if PJ thinks it's worth doing I'm going to put my faith in that and his ability, and if not, reading these notes which I had no idea existed one day would be a bonus either way.

Duel fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 17, 2012

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I haven't got a copy handy but what's the general idea of what we'd be seeing in those appendices?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Nilbop posted:

I haven't got a copy handy but what's the general idea of what we'd be seeing in those appendices?

Just off the top of my head - and please note this is only the stuff I can think of that directly concerns characters from The Hobbit:

=============== Before The Hobbit ===============

- The Dwarves delve too greedily and too deep: Balrog appears in Moria and kicks out all the Dwarves. Moria then becomes populated with Sauron's creatures.
- Thrain I founds the Dwarf kingdom of Erebor.
- Smaug comes to Erebor and kicks the Dwarves out, and destroys Dale for good measure.
- War of the Dwarves and Orcs, and more poo poo going down in Moria, culminating in the Battle of Azanulbizar, which involves and sets up a lot of the major players in The Hobbit, including the named Orc enemies, and is really, brutally violent.
- Corruption of Thrain II by the ring of Durin's line - one of Sauron's Seven Rings that were gifted to the Dwarves (note, not the One Ring) and his capture and imprisonment in Dol Guldur. Sauron takes back the ring of Durin's line.
- First White Council meeting. Saruman overrules the decision to attack Dol Guldur. (Saruman secretly wants the One Ring himself and goes searching for it).
- How the quest in The Hobbit got started, with Gandalf randomly bumping into Thorin in the pub (in Bree), they got talking and decided it was in both of their interests to deal with Smaug.

=============== During The Hobbit ===============

- Second White Council meeting. Saruman agrees to attack Dol Guldur this time (because he thinks it will distract Sauron from searching for the One Ring).
- Sauron's fortress of Dol Guldur attacked - Sauron is defeated and buggers off (to Mordor, as it happens).
- After the Battle of Five Armies, Bard rebuilds Dale and becomes king.

=============== After The Hobbit ===============

- Gollum starts searching for the One Ring. Is captured and tortured in Mordor.
- Sauron openly declares himself; rebuilds Barad-Dur.
- Nazgul are sent to reclaim Dol Guldur.
- Saruman moves into Isengard and fortifies it, but gets ensnared and corrupted by Sauron when he looks into the Orthanc-stone.
- Balin starts a quest with a bunch of Dwarves to retake Moria. (one reason for the quest is that Balin thinks the ring of Durin's line ended up here when Thror died at Azanulbizar) The quest fails and they all die in Moria (surprise).
- Thranduil's Realm is attacked by Sauron's army - this can be thought of as the first battle in The War of the Ring.
- Thranduil wins, Dol Guldur is completely blown the gently caress up by Galadriel's magic.

I would say the big problem here though, is that if a trilogy was to be made that includes The Hobbit, and all this lot, I think it makes more sense to have the first film include all the stuff I've listed that occurs before The Hobbit, with films 2 and 3 comprising the events that occur during and after.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 18, 2012

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There's also a poo poo load of stuff Aragorn got up to between Hobbit and LoTR. He fought against the Orcs for years, met Gandalf and Arwen, and established a guard over the Shire on Gandalf's orders. Most notably he wandered Middle Earth in disguise; becoming a captain in the armies of Rohan and Gondor. He also lead a naval invasion that burned the fleet of the Corsairs of Umbar and uprooted them from the West (part of the reason they were so ineffective in the War), fighting alonside a young Denethor.
He was basically waging a pre-emtive war against the weaker allies of Mordor, knowing that some larger conflict was inevitable, because Elrond would only allow him to marry Arwen if he was King of Gondor. After winning some huge battle or another he disappeared into the East for a few years, returning only shortly before LoTR to help Gandalf find Gollum.

Those few years between meeting Arwen and vanishing into the East would make an amazing film.

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 17, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

Aragorn stuff

Yes indeed. That's another shitload of material right there. They'd have to do some serious cutting-edge makeup work to make Viggo look young though.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 17, 2012

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

- Corruption of Thrain by the ring and his capture and imprisonment in Dol Guldur.

The ring, or a ring? I don't know the backstory here.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Erwin posted:

Not the One Ring, just the last of the Seven.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Erwin posted:

Oops, sorry - it was one of the Seven rings that were given to the Dwarven kings. Made by Sauron, they were still nasty bits of work but the Dwarves as a whole were not very affected by them; Dwarves are very strong-minded and resistant to being controlled, and thus all the rings really did to them was make them greedier and more determined to seek gold and treasure. Thus Thrain went off to Erebor to try to get back some of his gold, but Sauron's forces got to him first.

EDIT: I should mention though that a significant chunk of what I listed has been filmed, and will be cut into the two Hobbit films, but obviously from PJ's comments there's so much good stuff that a 3rd film is becoming a possibility.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 17, 2012

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Hi-res photos of the latest images here:

http://www.elanillounico.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3082

Gollum looks especially good.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Hi-res photos of the latest images here:

http://www.elanillounico.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3082

Gollum looks especially good.

URGGGHHHH. This movie cannot come out soon enough.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Why does Sauron want the rings back in the events before FOTR? Wasn't the whole point of the one ring to subvert whoever used the others? The men were corrupted and the elves were forced to hide the rings (and I think the elvish rings were a special case that were less connected), so why track down the dwarvish rings?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Algol Star posted:

Why does Sauron want the rings back in the events before FOTR? Wasn't the whole point of the one ring to subvert whoever used the others? The men were corrupted and the elves were forced to hide the rings (and I think the elvish rings were a special case that were less connected), so why track down the dwarvish rings?

As far as I am aware, Tolkien never really gave much of an explanation (others please correct me if I'm wrong) for why Sauron hunted down the Seven rings. It was very true that the effect that those rings had on the Dwarves was not what Sauron wanted (it just made them go out and hoard treasure), so his plan to control the Dwarves failed in that sense, and maybe Sauron was just thinking "Well, sod you Dwarves, I'll have them back then!". Maybe they possessed some minor aspect of Sauron's power that he could use again to make himself stronger (like lesser versions of the One Ring).

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I believe Gibby is correct with them possessing a minor part of Sauron's powers. As I recall, the reason the elvish rings didn't work quite like the others was because they used Sauron's craft, but had no part of Sauron actually in them. The nine and the seven did though.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

They'd have to do some serious cutting-edge makeup work to make Viggo look young though.

I don't care, they need to do it anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Interestingly while the Elven rings were not connected enough to Sauron to be controlled by him, they lost all of their power when he "died". Though that could also have just been the change of eras and magic leaving the world.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Oberleutnant posted:

There's also a poo poo load of stuff Aragorn got up to between Hobbit and LoTR. He fought against the Orcs for years, met Gandalf and Arwen, and established a guard over the Shire on Gandalf's orders. Most notably he wandered Middle Earth in disguise; becoming a captain in the armies of Rohan and Gondor. He also lead a naval invasion that burned the fleet of the Corsairs of Umbar and uprooted them from the West (part of the reason they were so ineffective in the War), fighting alonside a young Denethor.
He was basically waging a pre-emtive war against the weaker allies of Mordor, knowing that some larger conflict was inevitable, because Elrond would only allow him to marry Arwen if he was King of Gondor. After winning some huge battle or another he disappeared into the East for a few years, returning only shortly before LoTR to help Gandalf find Gollum.

Those few years between meeting Arwen and vanishing into the East would make an amazing film.

I would be very happy with an Aragorn focused LOTR prequel film, with elements of the Silmarillion story of Beren paralleled or referenced/retold throughout.

Beach fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 18, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Beach posted:

I would be very happy with an Aragorn focused LOTR prequel film, with elements of the Silmarillion story of Beren paralleled or referenced/retold throughout.

Good luck getting Viggo to sign on for this. I have a feeling he'd (rightly) pass on this, thinking he's already committed years of his life (and being away from his son/family) to this and probably wouldn't want to spend more time or worse, tarnish it. Plus it isn't like he hurts for roles.

It would actually be fun to cast a younger actor anyway if you did it right.

MortonTheCranium
Nov 25, 2004

We're cousins. (bros)

kiimo posted:

It would actually be fun to cast a younger actor anyway if you did it right.

What about Stuart Townsend? :v:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

MortonTheCranium posted:

What about Stuart Townsend? :v:

I'd do that, but then re-cast him at the last minute because he's too old really to play a young Aragorn.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'd do that, but then re-cast him at the last minute because he's too old really to play a young Aragorn.

Nicolas Cage still retains his youthful looks, though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

I could see Fassbender as Aragorn in "The Young Aragorn Adventures; The Lord of the Rings Chronicles volume 6"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Oh poo poo, of course. I was struggling to think of a good actor who had the right look, but the Fass is goddamn perfect.

Jesus, I'm now geeking out over the thought of a Fassbender-led Aragorn origins story :stare:

• Locked thread